Curious.... Can you possibly pay for an upgrade at port if you bought OGT?

Cmbar

DIS Veteran
HI I'm just curious about upgrades at the port. We are on the Dec 1 out of San Juan (lucky us... NOT) and we all bought OGT or VGT. Just wondering if anyone has ever had the opportunity at the port to upgrade. Since the ship is looking pretty empty and I'm guessing they are going to fill up with the need to fly into San Juan for people I was thinking those in my party that bought OGT might want to upgrade to a Verandah if possible.

Any one have experience with this?? I know the rules are "you get what we assign you on those rates"

Thanks!

I have not personally done this. But, I would be surprised if DCL says no when you say "I would like to give you more money". The upgrade fee might be more than if you had booked standard.

Like any cruise. See if you can see what the actual rate is for each category before you arrive. Then when they tell you what the cost to upgrade is you can determine if it is worth it or not.

We were able to upgrade our VGT room (assigned 7A) to a 4A. They processed it like any port upgrade. It is my understanding that they use the bottom room category in that grouping (7A for VGT group, 9D for OGT, etc) to determine the starting category value (not the room category you were assigned). Then you pay the difference between that category and the new category.

Just don't expect to save much by upgrading at the port. Upgrading to non-concierge categories at the port tends to cost about as much as it would have cost to just book that category of stateroom in the first place.

Yes you can. If there are rooms available. They don't look at what you paid for your room. They have a chart that tells them how much it cost to upgrade from one category to another. Just go to the supervisor desk. If there's no upgrades available there will be a sign out.

Thank you all for your replies!! I guess it's worth looking at when we check in!

Regarding your second sentence...I think you're lucky. If my son's dance schedule allowed I would be happy to be on that cruise.

Regarding your second sentence...I think you're lucky. If my son's dance schedule allowed I would be happy to be on that cruise.
Lol. I know you're right!! Just so much unknown with the trip right now. I have 8 other family members and they all want me to tell them it will be perfect!!!

Lol. I know you're right!! Just so much unknown with the trip right now. I have 8 other family members and they all want me to tell them it will be perfect!!!

I saw a quote somewhere once that went something like "If you want perfection, by all means do NOT travel because you will be disappointed every time." I thought it was good advice. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter