Cultural Appropriation of Food is a thing?

This is a good article on what I feel like is a good argument regarding cultural appropriation of food. Calling something an "Asian chicken salad" because it has an "Asian sauce".

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/cultural-appropriation-of-food-is-offensive

It's like calling Taco Bell "Mexican". If you've ever been to an authentic Mexican restaurant, you know what Taco Bell is selling ain't Mexican.

What these women did is the opposite.
They aren't taking some basic already Americanized food and stamping the word "Mexican" on it. They are using a a recipe they got from members of that culture.
And the members of that culture *gave* them the recipe which means they surely gave it out to many before and after them. Tortillas are essentially flour, lard and water as is pie crust. One is rolled out thin and fried, the other rolled out and baked. Both are filled with very yummy things. Recipes can't really be appropriated because at their core they're pretty much the same. My DH's mother's noodles are the exact same thing as my grandmother's. His aunt's rolls are the same as my aunt's rolls. We call them ours because it makes them feel special but more than likely, once upon a time they all came from the same place.

And the members of that culture *gave* them the recipe which means they surely gave it out to many before and after them. Tortillas are essentially flour, lard and water as is pie crust. One is rolled out thin and fried, the other rolled out and baked. Both are filled with very yummy things. Recipes can't really be appropriated because at their core they're pretty much the same. My DH's mother's noodles are the exact same thing as my grandmother's. His aunt's rolls are the same as my aunt's rolls. We call them ours because it makes them feel special but more than likely, once upon a time they all came from the same place.

I really don't get why these two were drummed out of business. They might have been a little bit clumsy in describing how they developed their own recipe, but to call it "theft" is a just a little bit over the top.

Certainly around here there area some really well known restaurants where workers have branched out to start their own businesses. They don't necessarily lift recipes wholesale, but it's pretty well known in restaurant circles that one basically apprentices. If there's an open kitchen, everyone is able to see how things are done.

I really don't get why these two were drummed out of business. They might have been a little bit clumsy in describing how they developed their own recipe, but to call it "theft" is a just a little bit over the top.

Certainly around here there area some really well known restaurants where workers have branched out to start their own businesses. They don't necessarily lift recipes wholesale, but it's pretty well known in restaurant circles that one basically apprentices. If there's an open kitchen, everyone is able to see how things are done.
There really aren't any real 'secret ingredients' in anything. If you have taste buds you can pretty much figure it out. We had this lady that would bring us THE BEST sugar cookies you've had in your life. She wouldn't give out the recipe because she did once and that person used it in a contest. I set out to figure out what was in these cookies and the possible techniques she used. Took me a few batches but I figured it out. (hint: cream cheese) I'd dare say mine are better. My DD has binders full of various chef's recipes taken with permission. I doubt seriously if any of them would even think twice if she went out and opened her own place. If you google *any* recipe, you'll get 100s of hits. They may vary slightly but they're all essentially the same.

There really aren't any real 'secret ingredients' in anything. If you have taste buds you can pretty much figure it out. We had this lady that would bring us THE BEST sugar cookies you've had in your life. She wouldn't give out the recipe because she did once and that person used it in a contest. I set out to figure out what was in these cookies and the possible techniques she used. Took me a few batches but I figured it out. (hint: cream cheese) I'd dare say mine are better. My DD has binders full of various chef's recipes taken with permission. I doubt seriously if any of them would even think twice if she went out and opened her own place. If you google *any* recipe, you'll get 100s of hits. They may vary slightly but they're all essentially the same.

There is this well know alliance of related cooperative business that do baking and sell pizza. The basic recipe came from the original business (the Cheese Board Collective in Berkeley). The offshoots are all known as "Arizmendi" bakeries. The one in Emeryville is probably the inspiration behind the "Yeast of Eden" pizza place in Inside Out, as well as the broccoli pizza. Each new member did get access to the basic recipe, but that comes with a legal requirement to protect it.

However, that's a specific trade secret and anyone who works at one of these cooperatives does have to agree to the conditions. I'm pretty sure that anyone could go to work for a pizza place, but that might be a case where there's a defensible issue with trade secrets should something be made and sold that's based off of that recipe.

Now I'm not sure that anyone just walking off the street and peering into the open kitchen could be sued for trade theft though. And the collection of employees they have are of many different ethnicities.

...and plenty of average people like me! :)

Portland, Oregon---the average people like you make it a desirable place to live.

Despite the comments on that linked article, there's nothing to suggest they were drummed out of business. The article itself is very positive; there was an update that they closed, but nothing about protests or efforts to shut them down.

I'm taking the closing as just the normal 60% plus failure rate for new restaurants/food trucks in their first year. Two inexperienced women opening a business pretty much on a whim.

Ohhhh, I care about very few sweets, but snickernoodles and key lime pie I've perfected. Sugar cookies would be the third. I haven't found a recipe that I love, now I'm going to go look for cream cheese sugar cookie recipes. I bet that's awesome.

Ohhhh, I care about very few sweets, but snickernoodles and key lime pie I've perfected. Sugar cookies would be the third. I haven't found a recipe that I love, now I'm going to go look for cream cheese sugar cookie recipes. I bet that's awesome.
They are! I like mine on the thicker, denser side rather than chewy or crispy. Texture kind of like a sweet pie crust that's not flaky. Does that make sense? That's what the cream cheese does. We also add a little lemon zest to them and a splash of lemon juice to the frosting.

Portland, Oregon---the average people like you make it a desirable place to live.

Despite the comments on that linked article, there's nothing to suggest they were drummed out of business. The article itself is very positive; there was an update that they closed, but nothing about protests or efforts to shut them down.

I'm taking the closing as just the normal 60% plus failure rate for new restaurants/food trucks in their first year. Two inexperienced women opening a business pretty much on a whim.

Check their Yelp profile. They didn't really get much attention until this article was written. It looked like more or less of a weekend side project that wasn't worth it once the hate started coming their way.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kooks-burritos-portland

Several of the classic Walt Disney movies guided into existence by the man himself are drawn from Grimm's Fairytales. The writings of the Brothers Grimm, like many authors of their time and those before and since, evidence roots in Greek mythology. Throughout human history man has taken inspiration for art, culture, law, etc., etc. from those who've gone before and those met along the way. It seems to me that many in generations long past would be pleased to know that many in the generations since their time like to dance to music of the rhythms they played or cook and eat the dishes the way they prepared and enjoyed them.

Pfft, let me tell you. I wish more people learned how to make Puerto Rican food. Sometimes I crave it and but don't feel like cooking it or bothering my mom to make it, yet where I live there are really no good restaurants. So hey, if it's good eats, I don't care who makes it!!

Pfft, let me tell you. I wish more people learned how to make Puerto Rican food. Sometimes I crave it and but don't feel like cooking it or bothering my mom to make it, yet where I live there are really no good restaurants. So hey, if it's good eats, I don't care who makes it!!

I live in a foodie town these days, and we still don't have decent Cuban food, Puerto Rican would be welcome too! I can't find decent hot chicken anywhere else when I'm on the road.

They are! I like mine on the thicker, denser side rather than chewy or crispy. Texture kind of like a sweet pie crust that's not flaky. Does that make sense? That's what the cream cheese does. We also add a little lemon zest to them and a splash of lemon juice to the frosting.

Drooling. Please send some my way for...science and stuff:) I can send you some moonshine or something in return.

I had the best gumbo at an Italian restaurant once. I never thought of anyone "stealing" anything.

Also, where does this put Tex-Mex? Who does that supposedly belong to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter