Cruise insurance deadline

fasttrakphil

Mouseketeer
We have a cruise booked for 2022. How long can I wait before I add Cruise insurance? Disney’s or another insurance company? TIA

We have a cruise booked for 2022. How long can I wait before I add Cruise insurance? Disney’s or another insurance company? TIA
You have up until you make your final payment to add DCL's insurance. Once you've made final payment (regardless of whether or not it's before the official paid-in-full deadline), you can no longer add DCL's insurance.

For other insurance, you can pretty much get it whenever you want. Insurance won't cover an issue already in progress, though: if you're already sick, or if a hurricane is being forecasted for next week, you can't buy insurance to get your trip costs covered on those grounds. Also, if you want non-DCL cancel-for-any-reason insurance (where you typically get about 75% of your money back for cancelling with no reason needed), you typically have to purchase that within a few weeks of your initial trip deposit. (All CFAR policies typically include 100% cash back for covered reasons.) DCL does offer cancel-for-any-reason as part of their insurance package that you can purchase at any time before paying in full, but DCL's 75% CFAR benefit is in the form of a future cruise credit rather than money back.

Generally, I recommend getting CFAR insurance (not Disney's) if you're able. Life is unpredictable.

Last edited:
It depends. If you want certain policy features to be valid such as pre- existing condition waiver each company has their own purchase time requirement. It also depends on what state you live in, when and how the features work.

As PPs mention - if you want coverage for pre-existing conditions for cancel-for-any-reason, you typically have to purchase the insurance within 7-21 days of placing initial deposit. That said, it is possible to purchase a policy with these coverages later, it just costs considerably more.

DCL coverage must be added before final payment. Third party coverage may be purchased at any time, up to an including just prior to departure, though as mentioned once a "covered event" becomes known you can no longer purchase coverage. When you purchase may depend on what you want/need for coverage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter