Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be blunt I think this is people who are salty about DME ending leaping to wild, worst assumptions possible because they're already upset

There's absolutely no reason to think WDW will implement a similar AP membership system but if you're already angry and in the mindset of DISNEY JUST WANTS OUR MONEY and don't understand the differences between the resorts then...

Like folk need to calm down lol

Actually, I'm not seeing folks really worked up about a possible WDW AP change here unless there's a different thread or something outside of the DIS being referred to.

As I mentioned early on, it's like we are getting what amounts to whatever WDW had planned for some point in the future thrown at us now. If TWDC believes the future of APs at WDW is to keep it the same and just increase prices every year, then that is what will happen once APs go back on sale for those that wish to buy in. If the future of APs at WDW includes making changes to it, we may find out at some point "soon". We don't know yet when APs go back on sale for those that don't currently have them. We also don't know if WDW has planned changes for APs - either short or long term. There's nothing to be angry about on the WDW side. And yes, there will be changes made for DLR - but these are unknown. Speculation is fine - but no one should take speculation as fact.

The implementation to this is going to be interesting.

I'd think guest attendance to F! would require a park or an "additional experience reservation" of some kind to control the demand, especially with PH in effect.

Otherwise, the other way to spread out guests is to add another nighttime spectacular at the same time. EF last stand?

The implementation to this is going to be interesting.

I'd think guest attendance to F! would require a park or an "additional experience reservation" of some kind to control the demand, especially with PH in effect.

Otherwise, the other way to spread out guests is to add another nighttime spectacular at the same time. EF last stand?
A fp with a specific time to enter would be helpful (7pm to 7:15) that way not everyone is walking up at the same time. Loading and leaving is simple enough if people listen to directions. So.... it won't be simple at all :D

A fp with a specific time to enter would be helpful (7pm to 7:15) that way not everyone is walking up at the same time. Loading and leaving is simple enough if people listen to directions. So.... it won't be simple at all :D

I can't see this as a once a night occurrence. When would the line start to get in because capacity is going to be capped? I have to figure a total F! rework and that it would happen multiple times during the day just to avoid being the first/only nighttime-related item to open.

I can't see this as a once a night occurrence. When would the line start to get in because capacity is going to be capped? I have to figure a total F! rework and that it would happen multiple times during the day just to avoid being the first/only nighttime-related item to open.
Remember that the park will be at restricted capacity already. If they cut theater capacity in half that would be around 3400.
They could do 2 shows a night but these are expensive so i don't see it happening.
I think reserved seating in the form of a fp or vq would be the best option. With a specific time to enter it would alleviate congestion
Maybe they could also restrict it for those with a dhs park reservation like they do for rise

Remember that the park will be at restricted capacity already. If they cut theater capacity in half that would be around 3400.
They could do 2 shows a night but these are expensive so i don't see it happening.
I think reserved seating in the form of a fp or vq would be the best option. With a specific time to enter it would alleviate congestion

Or BG?

ETA: Actually I think 50% theater capacity is overly generous.

Actually, I'm not seeing folks really worked up about a possible WDW AP change here unless there's a different thread or something outside of the DIS being referred to.

As I mentioned early on, it's like we are getting what amounts to whatever WDW had planned for some point in the future thrown at us now. If TWDC believes the future of APs at WDW is to keep it the same and just increase prices every year, then that is what will happen once APs go back on sale for those that wish to buy in. If the future of APs at WDW includes making changes to it, we may find out at some point "soon". We don't know yet when APs go back on sale for those that don't currently have them. We also don't know if WDW has planned changes for APs - either short or long term. There's nothing to be angry about on the WDW side. And yes, there will be changes made for DLR - but these are unknown. Speculation is fine - but no one should take speculation as fact.

Andyman hinted about AP changes coming to WDW a while back which is what I think some of us are referring to in this thread (at least, me)

FWIW APs are being sold to very specific folks right now, basically people who had them previously and then cancelled and kids who will turn 3. Interestingly when you go to renew one they have a giant disclaimer about park reservations being limited

I agree it's definitely way too early to freak out but a lot of people are elsewhere

I guess I am in the minority in thinking DL will open sooner than later. With new administration in DC, I can see a better co operation between Ca Gov and DC to get things opened up, not just for Disney but all businesses. I am sure Capacity will be restricted, have no clue or prediction on what it will be. Anything will be a great relief to not only the Execs, but the CMs who will finally be able to get back to work.

I'll be making 3 trips within 1 year and am super salty I can't upgrade to an annual pass :badpc:

That said, as an out-of-stater the cost of a Platinum Pass was always hard to justify (even factoring in discounts we would usually break even at best, this year is a bit of an anomaly) but if they added more "perks" or a level that made sense for the way we do Disney I'd buy in a heartbeat. So patiently sitting and waiting to see what happens...

I was lucky in that I broke even on mine in 2019 even though our big 2020 trip was postponed until this year, due to the room discounts I got on the 2 trips I took that year. If you stay at Deluxes it's significant. If staying in cheaper categories or offsite it's a lot harder to justify imo.

I chose to renew mine instead of canceling. Maybe it was foolish but I really needed something to look forward to. Even if we just end up taking the 1 trip this year, that's 2 weeks in Deluxe resorts at a substantial savings that will pay for the pass itself even before merch discounts. But I really wish they would add more perks.

If what was said in the other thread was true;

Disneyland’s capacity is ~10% of the number of Disneyland Passholders could 100% be the reason for this change.

Even if DL reopens this summer, I seriously doubt they reopen at 100% regardless of the state of the virus/vaccine. Let’s say they start at 25% capacity. That’s about 30,000 guests allowed into BOTH DCA and DL in total. And if that 10% stat is to be believed that would mean there are close to 1 million DL APs. Let’s just say only 25% of that number are 1, local and able to go to DL on a whim and 2, willing to go right when they open the doors back up. That’s a couple hundred thousand APs scratching and clawing for ~30k spots every day between 2 parks. And that’s not including non APs that want to buy tickets and go when they reopen. WDW did not, and does not have that issue. The demand has always been higher for guests to return to DL when they reopen. There Is no way around that being a complete and utter disaster for at least the first couple of months.

So here we are, you put everyone on an even playing field to make reservations. You get money on individual day tickets. Guests get to be back in Disneyland and when the capacity is back to normal, then you reintroduce APs in whatever tiered system they have planned
I know I'm late to commenting about this and I agree that your response makes total sense but again it goes back to messaging. If this is the reason for the change then say it. "Due to COVID when the parks reopen we know we won't have capacity for our APs and rather than take money for a pass you can't use we will refund all now and when park operations return to normal we will start to sell them again."

But they aren't saying that and they will definitely use this opportunity to have guests pay more and get less. If I was a Disneyland AP holder I would be pissed too...

Checking the calendar for our upcoming trip at the end of the month, and the Magic Kingdom is staying open on weekends until 9:00pm. Any chance this means they might bring back fireworks sooner than later?

Checking the calendar for our upcoming trip at the end of the month, and the Magic Kingdom is staying open on weekends until 9:00pm. Any chance this means they might bring back fireworks sooner than later?
No, they have had 9PM closings during the covid period (over the holiday time) and they didn’t have fireworks so I wouldn’t read anything into that. Disney is a not nearing a return to fireworks just yet.

I guess I am in the minority in thinking DL will open sooner than later. With new administration in DC, I can see a better co operation between Ca Gov and DC to get things opened up, not just for Disney but all businesses. I am sure Capacity will be restricted, have no clue or prediction on what it will be. Anything will be a great relief to not only the Execs, but the CMs who will finally be able to get back to work.

Not to get political but I don't see the correlation. CA can do what it wants, and if anything the new admin leans the other way for opening things up. But I hope DL opens soon too, but I have my doubts. My DH and I will be at a wedding in Anaheim in July (if it doesn't get cancelled or postponed again) and I was really hoping to go to DLR then but I just don't think it will happen.

Not to get political but I don't see the correlation. CA can do what it wants, and if anything the new admin leans the other way for opening things up. But I hope DL opens soon too, but I have my doubts. My DH and I will be at a wedding in Anaheim in July (if it doesn't get cancelled or postponed again) and I was really hoping to go to DLR then but I just don't think it will happen.

call me crazily optimistic (I know, not really my "thing" of late) but I could definitely see Disneyland being open in July - with significant restrictions most likely. Probably not a lot before then, but I think you can still hold out hope

This is not meant to be political. When you have the Federal Govt and State Govt working hand in hand, it is amazing what can be done. Like since Ca has the largest population in the union and since it has that largest number of COVID cases, the Feds make sure they get the Vaccine in larger quantities and as fast as possible. So yes, I am a supreme optimist that we will now see co operation and faster recovery in the great state of California. Looking forward to visiting DL in the near future, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is the one prediction I make that will actually come to pass.

This is not meant to be political. When you have the Federal Govt and State Govt working hand in hand, it is amazing what can be done. Like since Ca has the largest population in the union and since it has that largest number of COVID cases, the Feds make sure they get the Vaccine in larger quantities and as fast as possible. So yes, I am a supreme optimist that we will now see co operation and faster recovery in the great state of California. Looking forward to visiting DL in the near future, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is the one prediction I make that will actually come to pass.

Also not being political, but penalizing lower population states in favor of larger population states won't go well any way you slice it. Each state gets a percentage based on their population regardless of the state's stand on promoting CDC guidelines and/or the general population of that state following said guidelines. That's the only fair way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter