Crossroads Plaza

A. Mara Ziwadie

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

I heard that they are trying to get rid of the Crossroads Plaza (this has the Gooding's grocery store included). In a nutshell, the idea is closing all the stores, demolishing them and allowing for more highway access is better for travelers. But those who work at Gooding's and the other places in the plaza were trying to fight it. Has anyone heard of this? Does anyone know what the status is? Thanks in advance.

I'd not heard of this but just read the article from December in the Orlando Sentinel. Couldn't find anything more recent.

Yes, read up on it all months ago. First thing I said is there is going to be a huge fight but ...... if the government wants it and we know Disney will be fine with it ............ it could very well happen. But just the process of buying all the right-of-ways is going to take time so it won't be soon. It is all part of a major I-4 project, no doubt the interchange will be worked on. They had several alternatives but I believe this is the one they want ....

834ae620-7c9d-44f7-be65-06481e7230a0.png

Last edited:
That's what is supposed to be going on right now - a fight. Are they considering shutting down Palm Parkway restaurants/stores also? The way the situation was positioned to me is that Disney wants all the hotel guests in that area to have to depend on Disney Springs, and not off site restaurants/grocery stores. But all those jobs will be lost. That's so terribly sad.

That's what is supposed to be going on right now - a fight. Are they considering shutting down Palm Parkway restaurants/stores also? The way the situation was positioned to me is that Disney wants all the hotel guests in that area to have to depend on Disney Springs, and not off site restaurants/grocery stores. But all those jobs will be lost. That's so terribly sad.

This is part of a big interstate project and I do not believe pursued by Disney. As far as I know that Crossroads property was owned by Disney and sold. Honestly I don't think closing Crossroads will change anything as most who grocery offsite do not go there because it is so overpriced. If you look at the map Palm Parkway businesses are fine, it's just Crossroads. I don't think any of the other restaurants will support them as it means more business for them.

This is part of a big interstate project and I do not believe pursued by Disney. As far as I know that Crossroads property was owned by Disney and sold. Honestly I don't think closing Crossroads will change anything as most who grocery offsite do not go there because it is so overpriced. If you look at the map Palm Parkway businesses are fine, it's just Crossroads. I don't think any of the other restaurants will support them as it means more business for them.

Thank you for the response and information - appreciate it. :thanks:

I wonder what that population summary covers. LBV?

By miles, so LBV would be within the 5 mile area and the farthest would likely reach over through Orlando. But right now there is no exit to get to that so they would have to add exit ramps to that bridge that right now just goes over. The next exit is 525 at Crossroads. I imagine part of this plan is to include all of that so it would be a giant construction zone on I-4.

Ah well, there goes my favorite back road sneak along Daryl Carter. As owners at Sheraton Vistana, we have become experts at avoiding 535 from Vineland to Hotel Plaza, and Daryl Carter has played into those plans for the past 2 years. Maybe the improved interchange for Hotel Plaza will alleviate all the congestion along 535. One can only hope.

I do think that Daryl Carter is too close to the 535 for them to put in a new separate interchange, but maybe a double interchange could be done - right of way would be tight there though.

Ah well, there goes my favorite back road sneak along Daryl Carter. As owners at Sheraton Vistana, we have become experts at avoiding 535 from Vineland to Hotel Plaza, and Daryl Carter has played into those plans for the past 2 years. Maybe the improved interchange for Hotel Plaza will alleviate all the congestion along 535. One can only hope.

I do think that Daryl Carter is too close to the 535 for them to put in a new separate interchange, but maybe a double interchange could be done - right of way would be tight there though.

I agree on the closeness part and wondering if the project is green lit then the I-4 plan will include you exiting way back before new exit and run along an access exit, which it already looks like the exit for 535 is much father back in new plan.

We also liked the DC overpass as we like to go up towards Sand Lake to the newer Walmart and go back road to Universal. It might all work out okay but I think the construction time frame will be worse than what it is now. And when in "your area" we go World Center or Intl S to go on property.

Nice find, HopperFan. Too bad the article is behind a pay wall. I'm usually good at finding sources online, but I couldn't find any other sites with details. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

For anyone interested, I believe this is the most current version of the plan. Part of Crossroads would have to go to accommodate a flyer over from westbound I-4 to southbound State Road 535 (aka S. Apopka Vineland Rd). The other part would disappear to create a flyover with a huge circular ramp that would pass over SR 535 onto Hotel Plaza Blvd.

lakebuenavista-i4-crossroads-crop.jpg

Note: I cropped this image. To view the full image, click this link: http://my-content-locker.com/temp/lakebuenavista-i4-crossroads.jpg

For sources for this map and more information than you'll ever want, visit the I-4 Project website at the Florida Department of Transportation: http://www.i4express.com/

Thanks for the link @writerguyfl!

Looping through the video flyover, it looks like it might (eventually) take care of a bunch of the traffic congestion issues in the area (if this proposal is approved?) I especially like the rework of the Vineland/535 and Hotel Plaza/535 intersections. Should take care of a lot of headaches. Of course this will create enormous headaches during construction. Considering they are already about 2 years behind the posted schedule, I guess it won't be anytime real soon, but perhaps we'll rethink some of our trips when they get deeply into it.

Nice find, HopperFan. Too bad the article is behind a pay wall. I'm usually good at finding sources online, but I couldn't find any other sites with details. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

For anyone interested, I believe this is the most current version of the plan. Part of Crossroads would have to go to accommodate a flyer over from westbound I-4 to southbound State Road 535 (aka S. Apopka Vineland Rd). The other part would disappear to create a flyover with a huge circular ramp that would pass over SR 535 onto Hotel Plaza Blvd.

lakebuenavista-i4-crossroads-crop.jpg

Note: I cropped this image. To view the full image, click this link: http://my-content-locker.com/temp/lakebuenavista-i4-crossroads.jpg

For sources for this map and more information than you'll ever want, visit the I-4 Project website at the Florida Department of Transportation: http://www.i4express.com/

Yeah ... they often break some good stuff but for more info you pay or start the big search. I was on my phone - so searching and my fingers are not a coordinated effort. I'm taking it everything in the purple cross-hairs are goners. Too bad it looks like the crappy Gift Land building will stay. When you pull off there it is just so tacky.

Too bad it looks like the crappy Gift Land building will stay. When you pull off there it is just so tacky.

I've almost booked the Radisson right there on several occasions. It gets above-average reviews and I used to work for Radisson. The two reasons I've never actually stayed are the proximity of I-4 and that tacky building next door.

I've almost booked the Radisson right there on several occasions. It gets above-average reviews and I used to work for Radisson. The two reasons I've never actually stayed are the proximity of I-4 and that tacky building next door.

I ran into that store out of desperation for some water shoes for Discovery Cove (first time I didn't know DC sold them, a nice ones too) ......... yeah, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I don't think I could stay there no matter the reviews.

Looking at the flyover some more, it looks like they are possibly planning on changing the Sand Lake interchange over to a Diverging Diamond Interchange type. The lanes on Sand Lake will cross each other to the "wrong side" as they go under I-4. This is a really interesting new interchange type with increased traffic flow, but seems a bit radical for the area. I encountered my first one a while back somewhere around Pooler GA (IIRC - pulled off I-95 for gas) and it was a treat!

Given that I live 8 minutes from Crossroads this would be a bummer as there are a few restaurants I do frequent there,I can understand that that exit can become gridlock central at certain times but it is knocking out a good chunk of off site restaurants in the area.I had no idea Vineland Pointe on Darryl Carter was a thing but from the articles I read I'm not seeing many restaurants listed as coming to the center,only a Cheddar's.There's also another big box shopping center going in a couple of miles south on 535 by Osceola Pkwy,it seems like its a typical one with a Ross,TJ Maxx,Publix and some fast casual places like Chipotle,5 Guys,etc..Even though the Crossroads has kind of a dead-ish feel with the normally empty Goodings anchoring it,it would just be too weird to not have it there,the McDonalds is usually buzzing,I eat fairly regularly at Perkins and Sweet Tomatoes and the other restaurants are all pretty popular places,I don't know its removing too many places,I dont like it.

Last edited:
I wonder what that population summary covers. LBV?

That 10 mile radius is going to cover Dr.Phillips,parts of Windermere,Horizons West,Williamsburg,Hunters Creek,Kissimmee over to the Oak Ridge/Millennia area.The area that's probably going to have the fastest growth is the Horizons West area which is essentially behind Disney and bordering the 429 expressway,a lot of development going in there.The area by the new Walmart on New Independence Pkwy and the 429 is supposed to be getting tons of shopping areas

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter