• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

crossing the border?

cottontail

DIS Veteran
Again I was watching the news and showed pics tonight of customs in the trunk of someones car rumaging thru their clothing.
Anyone who has driven over the border recently to travel in the united states, has this happened to you. I realize they are looking for terriorists etc. Which is fine, just wondering if it has happened to any families going over the border?

I will not worry so much about packing to have my clothes wrinkle free.

Deb.

We went over in Dec to go to Disney and the boarder guard asked us where we were going we told him he asked us where we were from we told him and then how many were in the car and after that he said have a great time and that was it this was at about 9:00 or so PM and my in laws who crossed in Port Huron got searched just the luck of the draw I guess. We didn't get searched on the way back either again just the normal questions notionality where were you how long did we buy anything etc and off we went home so we have had no problem to this day and we cross over a few times a month usually and usually just in Port Huron tro go to CHI CHI's for dinner

we crossed the border from new york and into niagra falls, two years ago and got searched it was embarrassing. but when we entered back into the united States the next day no problems at all

I can imagine what it is like now.

Just for your info

We went over shopping a few weeks ago and at the border going into US they had a army guy there who searched my truck. I had a blanket and pillow underneath the seat and he pulled them out and looked under everything. He also opened all my doors and the back hatch. Now mind you i have dark tinting so i think they are targeting trucks cars etc for searches who have tinting.

We are going over at 5 am with all kinds of stuff so i hope they do not pull apart the truck. !! yuck. I am a bad packers (everything must come with me... what will i wear if i meet the queen!!!).

Hi: My daughter wants to pack the same, she would hook on her bedroom to the back of the van if she could.

We have dark tinting on our van, and I am thinking about the suitcases, after I finally pack, and roll everything so it stays neat for the two day drive, and I hope I have a woman looking in my suitcase, not a guy. lol.

Deb.

For those of you just recently crossing the border.....did you have to show passports or just government photo ID?:confused:

When we crossed over in Dec we took my moms van as I stated earlier and you can't even see in her back windows the tint is so dark and we had no problems si I wouldn't say you were searched because of having tinted windows we also have extremely dark tint on the windows of our car and have not been searched in it either it is mre just the luck of the draw you are randomly picked by the computer. We also didn't have to show any ID of any kind when crossing over to the US or back into Canada

DisneyFan

It was just way to weird when we crossed. We had to wait, only 2 lines open and we watched the guards. Before we crossed over to Niagara FAlls NY, they had every tinted vehicle checked. It was quite obvious. We watched like 30 vehicles pull through and every one with tint was asked to stop and had the army guy check the back and the inside. Coincidence?????

I have another question regarding ID, anyone know if you don't have a passport what ID they ask for.

I would say you would be good using your birth certificate or Ontario drivers liscence they are both acceptable forms of ID I would also call and ask the US embasy in Toronto they would be able to tell you the best form of ID to use other than a passport hope this helps
Darren & Lisa

We went to WDW is March and crossed the border at Windsor at about 9am. We have tinted windows, they just asked the regular questions, didn`t even check out birth certificates. Same thing on the way back which was about 8pm, I didn`t see them searching anyone at that time.

We were over in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago. I also have my Drivers License and birth certificate in hand in case they ask. We haven't had our trunk opened the last couple of trips but we saw them checking other cars.

Everytime we have crossed since Sept 11th we have had to show our Birth certificates(or passports). They have always asked to open the trunk or back of the van , they have never opened suitecases, but moved things around a bit. We now have additional US guards on the borders along with our customs officers. There was a big article in our paper about it, talking about the armed guards now being there. I don't know if this is making it slower. We have found over the many years of crossing for vacations or just to go over for dinner, it depends who you get at your lane, sometimes lots of questions and searching, sometimes nothing. We crossed last October with a van full of people and luggage and it was quick. Best advice give yourself lots of time just in case and if they search well don't sweat it, they are just doing there job. I have never seen them rip apart luggage and leave you with a mess to pack back up. The only time I have seen them tear apart cars is when people get caught (or lie) bringing stuff back they didn't declare, like cigarettes and alcohol.

this weekend will post how my experience goes. My brother crossed at Winsor and got grilled pretty bad but car wasn't searched or anything like that and knowing him he was being a smart pants.

We've been over quite a few time since September 11th, with no problems. My Dh is U.S. the kids are dual and I'm Canadian for some reason we always have a harder time with the Cdn guards coming back into the country. The only time we were searched was when we were coming back September 15th (we were in WDW Sept. 11th) and even then the guard just opened our trunk ( which was crammed full!!) lifted a few bags and then waved us through.

Allison

Hi everyone:
Just back from Falls. My DF and I crossed at Nigaria falls, NY had to show DL and BC going into Canada.
Walked over to usa on foot to vist hard rock Had to show DL going to Usa. coming back to Canada had to show DL and Hotel key
Coming home to USA: had to show DL
Never had car/bags searched.

We will be going over the border within the next 2 weeks to take my cousins (coming next week from Scotland!:D ) for a visit to the malls and have dinner over in Buffalo and we are only using DL,HC,and BC while my cousins will have their Passports....hope we get over and get back ok! LOL;)

I'll post what happens when we (if we.... LOL) return!:p

HI everyone,

Just returned across the border (may 1) and had no trouble at all. Crossing on the way to Florida or return. Was asked destination including hotel and length of trip. Upon return was asked the usual, how much $ purchased, alcohol tobacco. Was let go without a hitch or search. Perhaps I was lucky.

Mark

I cross the border every day hint: get there prior to 6am during the week after 6am about 1200 nurses wil be going to work for 7am. Have a birth certificate and a piece of picture ID for the adults and birth certificate for the kids. When you pull up to customs roll down all your windows so they do not have to look too hard to see, avoid all citrus products for some reason they are targeting them at this time and be honest with what you by at duty free. We have only been pulled over once while travelling on vacation and it was because my brother ,an army brat, did not have his proper ID as a Canadian citizen. There are also guards that it does not matter what you do they will pull you over.

We just got back from a visit to the Buffalo area and we had no problems at all! In fact they never even asked to see any ID.;) We crossed at the Rainbow Bridge with no traffic either way.

We have my cousins from Scotland visiting with us until Sunday and they were asked to go into US customs to fill in a temporary "green" card but other than that we had no problems......we spent in total of about $150.00 CND and the Canadian customs told us to "have a nice day"! So no duty was paid!!!:)

I think everyone needs to remind themselves that traveling to the USA is visiting another country. As such, the best piece of ID is a passport. Failing that, positive proof of citizenship and ID is required. A driver's license alone is proof of ID but not citizenship. You may not get asked, but you could and if you get a stickler of an agent it could turn into a real problem.

Two examples: First example: Entering the USA my father had several friends with him going to a curling tournament. One left his ID at home. The US agent gave them a long lecture, threatened to sent them back (30 minutes, so not too bad) but eventually let them through. Second example: A friend entered the US fine, but upon return the Canadian agent asked for proof of citizenship, he had none, just a drivers license. Again, long lecture and a threat to send him back to Seattle, to the Canadian consulate, which was closed as it was the weekend, to get temporary entry papers, come back to the border crossing, go in to get processed, and then maybe be allowed to go home. He was let through, but it could have been even worse. He would have had to cross back through US Customs and Immigration - with a BC car and drivers license - they could have held him in custody since he had no legal way to enter either the US or Canada!

Worst case scenarios? Maybe, but all fully within each countries regulations and procedures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter