Credit for Mousekeeping Rumor

If you use a disney gift card...who gets the money in the end?

Less employees and the same or MORE money...sounds like a gold plated shell game to me...

Of course, the ideal is a "room credit" but this isn't the Hilton Garden Inn by Woodfield. Most people who are staying onsite are paying their regular bucks toward the disney coffers anyway. So yes it is a shell game undoubtedly. The company is happy because they found a cost savings measure in one of their biggest line items. The consumer is happy (in the short term) because they got a FREE gift card. Long term, people get charged for what was once included.

Of course, the ideal is a "room credit" but this isn't the Hilton Garden Inn by Woodfield. Most people who are staying onsite are paying their regular bucks toward the disney coffers anyway. So yes it is a shell game undoubtedly. The company is happy because they found a cost savings measure in one of their biggest line items. The consumer is happy (in the short term) because they got a FREE gift card. Long term, people get charged for what was once included.

That's really the key point to remember in all of this.

They aren't going to keep handing out gift cards.

The data will either give us a resort fee with a credit, an optional pay for service, or business as usual (meaning just a rate hike).

The data will either give us a resort fee with a credit, an optional pay for service, or business as usual (meaning just a rate hike).

The key thing to track here are the property tax assessments. My theory here is that they cannot afford (business-wise, not budget-wise) to soak all that and see their margin suffer. So while this would be more of a long term shift, it will not likely work out to be the last thing on your list. It's likely 1 or 2 there. Now they won't be able to get away with a room rate increase and a resort fee. So they'll likely have to spin like crazy. I just hope any resort or parking fees do not impact DVC members as we pay MF already.

Go even deeper...

What is a low/no profit unit? That's right...resort operations...

What's a high/almost free profit unit? Chinese stuff peddled by college programmers...

That matters to corporate accounting...and to Wall Street, can be relayed as "strong brand"..."we sold more stuff so they'll keep coming back...even if resort revenue went Down a little...and we saved employees"

It's not just the what...it's the why...

The key thing to track here are the property tax assessments. My theory here is that they cannot afford (business-wise, not budget-wise) to soak all that and see their margin suffer. So while this would be more of a long term shift, it will not likely work out to be the last thing on your list. It's likely 1 or 2 there. Now they won't be able to get away with a room rate increase and a resort fee. So they'll likely have to spin like crazy. I just hope any resort or parking fees do not impact DVC members as we pay MF already.

Property tax doesn't affect pricing much...now SALES Tax matters. But Florida, Orange, Osceola counties will get even more off the gift cards...and it's painless for disney.

I agree - I see this as a way for Disney to measure the importance of this service to its guests. If a large enough percentage of the guests offered this alternative take advantage of this offer, expect a change in the service offered altogether. But the gift cards certainly are not their overall strategy.

Go even deeper...

What is a low/no profit unit? That's right...resort operations...

What's a high/almost free profit unit? Chinese stuff peddled by college programmers...

That matters to corporate accounting...and to Wall Street, can be relayed as "strong brand"..."we sold more stuff so they'll keep coming back...even if resort revenue went Down a little...and we saved employees"

It's not just the what...it's the why...

Let's combine these thoughts here. Now, without the cost centers, they have nothing to draw for the profit centers. I was under the impression their margins were a whole lot better on those deluxe resorts, even with discounted rooms, there's no way they're not making bank off near 100% capacity on 600 a night rooms.

Property tax doesn't affect pricing much...now SALES Tax matters. But Florida, Orange, Osceola counties will get even more off the gift cards...and it's painless for disney.

But as for the sales tax, sure some people will buy stuff, some will buy food. But it's what, 6.5%? It's not super high, they could probably raise it and locals wouldn't be happy but they'd get a lot more off the tourists. I guess I'm just not following this one you'll have to spell it out a little more clearly.

Here you go:
Many Crew members on my Facebook group reported yesterday that they were offered Disney gift cards in exchange for not having their rooms cleaned.

As the guests were checking into All Star Movies resort, they were told that they could receive a $20 per day Disney gift card in exchange for denying room cleaning services for their entire stay. One person stated that they received an $80 gift card for a 4 night stay and another said they received $140 for a 7 night stay.

Each guest reported that they could receive towel service and request toiletries as they needed, but their sheets would not be changed and there would be no vacuum or cleaning of any kind offered.

If you accept this offer MouseKeeping will also not provide those cute little towel creatures on your bed each evening. This is said to be a test and no word on if it will spread to other resorts or when it will end.

I will state that I noticed that this was a very normal policy for hotels in Denmark when we visited recently. They say it saves on water, power and wear and tear on the sheets.

Would YOU accept $20 per night for not having your room cleaned during your trip?

I really enjoy returning to my room after Mousekeeping has been there. It smells fresh and looks nice (which, with two girls, two dogs, a husband, and a full time job, simply does not happen at my home very often).

I would have to assign a monetary value to what Mousekeeping is worth to me. Someone said that the Swan/Dolphin has offered $5 per night to skip cleaning. That is not worth it to me. Now, if Disney is offering $20, then I would probably take that offer. I can't say that Mousekeeping holds a value of $20 per day to me.

Which is why I might actually prefer they didn't act on this idea. It would be hard for the frugal side of me to turn down the $20, but my vacation would not be as nice and relaxing. One of my favorite things about Disney is one price for everything (transportation, amenities, activities, EMH, parking, etc.). I tend to be frugal, so I don't pay upcharges for additional fees that are not necessary to stay in the resort. That is one reason why I probably enjoy my Disney vacations more than my other vacations. I know some say the room prices are high, but to me, they are worth what you get in value. I really don't want to have to constantly make decisions about whether this amenity or that service is worth paying for. I read a study that said that every decision we make raises our stress level and sucks out energy. Again, that is why I enjoy my Disney vacation so much. I don't want to have to think, "I really like Mousekeeping, but is it worth $20? I really like Disney transportation, but is it worth $10 a day? I like having clean towels, but are they worth $8 a day?" That's the kind of thing that really spoils a vacation for me.

I also wonder what would be the upcharge if I decided I needed Mousekeeping when I had initially opted out (you just never know what is going to happen when you travel with children). Could I call and get an even-for-even exchange (a charge of $20), or would I then have to pay more than $20 for that one cleaning since Disney had staffed based on my decision to opt out? Then I have to decide whether I should risk not opting in to Mousekeeping in the beginning if I might have to pay more later. Ugh. Too many decisions about things that are not fun.

Making decisions about fastpasses? Fun!
Making decisions about which park on which day? Fun!
Making decisions about ADRs? Fun!
Making decisions about whether to have Mousekeeping and clean towels and fresh sheets? NOT FUN.

Anyone else remember the "No Maid Service" cards you put on the door when you left? Used to be every hotel even decades ago.

It was often on the flip side of the "Do not disturb", sometimes its own card. I guess you could just put the "Do not disturb" out all day when your gone.

Seems like even at Disney no?

Anyone else remember the "No Maid Service" cards you put on the door when you left? Used to be every hotel even decades ago.

It was often on the flip side of the "Do not disturb", sometimes its own card. I guess you could just put the "Do not disturb" out all day when your gone.

Seems like even at Disney no?

Yeah but that's not the discussion we're having here. Many have stated they already do this. This is Disney creating a monetary incentive for something people were doing anyway. Whether it's driven by some outside force, like competitor programs, or inside force, desire to reduce costs, it's something that could bode poorly for those who have come to expect that service. It could mean nothing but it's clear they're trying to put a monetary value on daily housekeeping for the consumer for some reason.

Yeah but that's not the discussion we're having here. Many have stated they already do this. This is Disney creating a monetary incentive for something people were doing anyway. Whether it's driven by some outside force, like competitor programs, or inside force, desire to reduce costs, it's something that could bode poorly for those who have come to expect that service. It could mean nothing but it's clear they're trying to put a monetary value on daily housekeeping for the consumer for some reason.

No I get the discussion-was just wondering if they still even have those, or if its just do not disturb.

No I get the discussion-was just wondering if they still even have those, or if its just do not disturb.

Just do not disturb. Universal has tags that are "please service room today" and "do not disturb" or some clever version of it. But you don't need a tag to get service, as I found out. I'm not entirely sure why that tag is there. But that could be an option for Disney to consider if they're going toward a pay-per-use model.

I really enjoy returning to my room after Mousekeeping has been there. It smells fresh and looks nice (which, with two girls, two dogs, a husband, and a full time job, simply does not happen at my home very often).

I would have to assign a monetary value to what Mousekeeping is worth to me. Someone said that the Swan/Dolphin has offered $5 per night to skip cleaning. That is not worth it to me. Now, if Disney is offering $20, then I would probably take that offer. I can't say that Mousekeeping holds a value of $20 per day to me.

Which is why I might actually prefer they didn't act on this idea. It would be hard for the frugal side of me to turn down the $20, but my vacation would not be as nice and relaxing. One of my favorite things about Disney is one price for everything (transportation, amenities, activities, EMH, parking, etc.). I tend to be frugal, so I don't pay upcharges for additional fees that are not necessary to stay in the resort. That is one reason why I probably enjoy my Disney vacations more than my other vacations. I know some say the room prices are high, but to me, they are worth what you get in value. I really don't want to have to constantly make decisions about whether this amenity or that service is worth paying for. I read a study that said that every decision we make raises our stress level and sucks out energy. Again, that is why I enjoy my Disney vacation so much. I don't want to have to think, "I really like Mousekeeping, but is it worth $20? I really like Disney transportation, but is it worth $10 a day? I like having clean towels, but are they worth $8 a day?" That's the kind of thing that really spoils a vacation for me.

I also wonder what would be the upcharge if I decided I needed Mousekeeping when I had initially opted out (you just never know what is going to happen when you travel with children). Could I call and get an even-for-even exchange (a charge of $20), or would I then have to pay more than $20 for that one cleaning since Disney had staffed based on my decision to opt out? Then I have to decide whether I should risk not opting in to Mousekeeping in the beginning if I might have to pay more later. Ugh. Too many decisions about things that are not fun.

Making decisions about fastpasses? Fun!
Making decisions about which park on which day? Fun!
Making decisions about ADRs? Fun!
Making decisions about whether to have Mousekeeping and clean towels and fresh sheets? NOT FUN.

Great thoughts.

It brings up an interesting view. Do you want to be checking in and have to bat this around? Or even be considering it at all?

I'm with you on the frugal side. Someone offers me $20/night to have no pillows, I'll at least think about it :)

it's clear they're trying to put a monetary value on daily housekeeping for the consumer for some reason.

Trying? For some reason? Looking at the replies on here-its already clear consumers have a monetary interest.

It is at the expense of jobs to take the gift card, but certainly up to individual choice IMO.

Last edited:
Just do not disturb. Universal has tags that are "please service room today" and "do not disturb" or some clever version of it. But you don't need a tag to get service, as I found out. I'm not entirely sure why that tag is there. But that could be an option for Disney to consider if they're going toward a pay-per-use model.

My guess is for those leaving the room early-knock that baby out right away.

Great thoughts.

It brings up an interesting view. Do you want to be checking in and have to bat this around? Or even be considering it at all?

I'm with you on the frugal side. Someone offers me $20/night to have no pillows, I'll at least think about it :)
Think about it? Not at all. I'd throw our own pillows into the car, and we would be set. Heck, if I wanted, I could toss a couple of extra cases in so we could change them out.

Let's combine these thoughts here. Now, without the cost centers, they have nothing to draw for the profit centers. I was under the impression their margins were a whole lot better on those deluxe resorts, even with discounted rooms, there's no way they're not making bank off near 100% capacity on 600 a night rooms.

But as for the sales tax, sure some people will buy stuff, some will buy food. But it's what, 6.5%? It's not super high, they could probably raise it and locals wouldn't be happy but they'd get a lot more off the tourists. I guess I'm just not following this one you'll have to spell it out a little more clearly.

First:

The accounting at disney parks is pretty simple - particularly wdw...

There are revenues that go almost exclusively to overhead - tickets and resorts - and those that generate operating income and walk away profit - food and bev and in particular - merchandise.

Iger has increased the prices sooo much that I'm sure that model looks a little different behind the scenes than my Eisner eyes doth hath seen...but it's still loosely true.

They use those divisions to twist numbers in their favor however they can. Does a $595 a night room at poly cost anywhere near That? No...but that money does shelter a monorail and bus fleet, landscaping, guys to fix your door locks, 46 managers that don't have a clue (I represent that remark!) and many other things...

The profit is still in the crap. Disney gift cards are good for that.

Second...sales tax keeps the state happy...resort tax is of more direct benefit to the counties...they tend not to complain as long as it rolls in. And it do...

They use those divisions to twist numbers in their favor however they can. Does a $595 a night room at poly cost anywhere near That? No...but that money does shelter a monorail and bus fleet, landscaping, guys to fix your door locks, 46 managers that don't have a clue (I represent that remark!) and many other things...

The profit is still in the crap. Disney gift cards are good for that.

Second...sales tax keeps the state happy...resort tax is of more direct benefit to the counties...they tend not to complain as long as it rolls in. And it do...

Ohh right ok, I had figured the resort rooms would prop up other resort things but I can see where you're going with this. My argument with the property tax stuff is, the assessor is basically saying the office was run improperly before and now they're actually getting assessed the right amount. That sales tax does make the state/county happy (earning their keep) but they just acted as a pass through for that. The property tax man coming for more money that Disney used to be able to keep, or as you say divert to other places? That's probably what has them sweating a bit. The resort fee, then being passed through to soak up those lost property tax dollars, will probably be their solution.

Ohh right ok, I had figured the resort rooms would prop up other resort things but I can see where you're going with this. My argument with the property tax stuff is, the assessor is basically saying the office was run improperly before and now they're actually getting assessed the right amount. That sales tax does make the state/county happy (earning their keep) but they just acted as a pass through for that. The property tax man coming for more money that Disney used to be able to keep, or as you say divert to other places? That's probably what has them sweating a bit. The resort fee, then being passed through to soak up those lost property tax dollars, will probably be their solution.

Don't forget: the incorporated town of lake buena vista and the reedy creek improvement district - by Florida special bill in 1965 - has more home rule privileges than any other jurisdiction in the US...it's the American Vatican.

They have many doorstops/overrides that were built in case the locals ever became "hostile"...

Roy O Disney was very experience with Anaheim/Orange county at that point...it was his way or the highway.

Think about it? Not at all. I'd throw our own pillows into the car, and we would be set. Heck, if I wanted, I could toss a couple of extra cases in so we could change them out.

Perhaps they can have a few rooms that are entirely empty. Like a campsite, but it has 4 walls and a bathroom.

Bring your own inflatable mattress/ sheets/ toiletries/ fans/ portable AC units.....

More like a Hostel.

Prices starting at $99/night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter