Covid 2nd time after cruising?

I was on the Dream in mid-May and did not get COVID again in spite of being in close contact with someone who did. Vaxed and double boosted.

We were on the June18 Fanatasy. Six of the seven in our group tested positive afterward. We drove straight home from the port, so we know we got it on board. All of us fully vaxxed and boosted.

Mom and I were on the Transatlantic. She tested positive the night of debarkation.
ETA: First time for her

Was on the June 7th sailing of the Dream and it was my first time. 2 out of the 5 of us got it (first time for both).

Was wondering if anyone was wearing masks when they were indoors or in the theaters?
Thanks!
We were on the Dream earlier this month and we masked in the elevators, in the shows, lounges, walking into the restaurants etc etc. We were late dinner and our serving team's only table so no one was near us when we were seated. 2 out of the 5 of us tested positive after our return.

We were on the Fantasy in April. My wife tested positive for the first time on the day we disembarked

Was wondering if anyone was wearing masks when they were indoors or in the theaters?
Thanks!
We wore masks which made us aware of others who did. Very few guests wore masks anywhere. Not in theaters, not inside, not with a mouse, (and not on a house. :P) There were very few things COVID related, like not hugging characters, and mixology wasn't hands on, but that's about all we noticed. Our last cruise was in 2016 and we remember a much stiffer policy on hand sanitation entering restaurants back then. This time, hand sanitizers are everywhere and everyone walks right past them. Tables were still not shared but were not spaced very far apart. Cabanas was closed at dinner but a very busy self serve buffet at breakfast.

Entire family positive after the 6/18 Fantasy Western. Double boosted. We had original covid back in early 2020. We masked indoors unless eating/drinking.

This was our 5th DCL cruise since September but the first without all the covid measures. We had a great time, but for me, it doesn't make up for how horrible I feel right now and the lost time at work.

Last edited:
Just got back from a 14 night in Europe. We had to test twice to get on the cruise but they just lifted the testing requirement to get off the ship and to fly back to the US. I started getting sick the last couple days of our trip but really just cold symptoms. Once home, I tested positive for COVID but my husband was fine. ( both fully vaccinated and boosted.) If restrictions were still in place, we would have been forced to quarantine for 5 days before coming home. We bought a hefty travel insurance policy for this trip so it would have covered quarantine expenses, FYI.

I can tell you that your fellow passengers are most discourteous. I was shocked (after going through this pandemic) how many people freely cough and hack without covering their mouths. I had a bad feeling after our first excursion, I mean half the bus was coughing away. And we ran into several people that said, "Oh, we just got out of quarantine." And they weren't wearing a mask. So, if you aren't afraid of getting sick, travel freely. You are running the risk while traveling though. I wasn't afraid so I traveled but you will be heavily exposed - on the plane, the cruise, buses, etc.

Several passengers tested positive at the port and could either quarantine on the ship or at a hotel. Some people got sick mid-way through the cruise and could either quarantine on the ship or disembark at the next port. Princess had a quarantine floor for guests and it was common to run into guests that had/has COVID.

I believe this is the world we are living in now. COVID is a thing we just have to deal with. If your vaccinated and otherwise healthy, it's like a cold for a week. If you have existing health conditions, immune-compromised, etc. than I wouldn't recommend travel right now.

I have to admit I am getting nervous about our 11 night coming up.. That's a longer cruise where you can catch and get sick while on board.. Shorter cruise you are off. So we will most likely be N95ing the until the end of the sailing.
You just have to be comfortable with knowing that there is an increased chance of catching it especially if you eat indoors

Dream May 23rd. 1 out of 4 got Covid (1st time) - last night on board (theater, got exposure notification later!).
Symptoms came on suddenly and furiously late at night on disembarkation day and tested positive. Sadly, passed it to two other family members, likely on ride home.

So eventual total was 3/4, first infection for all.

I think the question, OP, how likely you are to get it (if you already had it before) depends obviously on many factors, last but not least on the variant you had the last time.
If you had Covid pre-Omicron, or during the original Omicron (1) phase, you are much more vulnerable vs. if you have had Omicron 2.12 or later version (O. 4 or 5 currently). The 2-3 months recovery letters do make sense, assuming that you likely (though not necessarily) had the same variant that was circulating 2+ months prior.

We were on the Dream earlier this month and we masked in the elevators, in the shows, lounges, walking into the restaurants etc etc. We were late dinner and our serving team's only table so no one was near us when we were seated. 2 out of the 5 of us tested positive after our return.
I'm sorry to hear that. We also had the late dinner and a lot of space around us. Do you have any inkling where you might have picked it up since you were masking quite diligently? Did you wear N-95s or KF-94s? I am trying to see what we could do differently the next time. I feel that (good) masking in the theater and at the bottle necks of getting out of the theater and into the restaurants could potentially make a difference. At least it could not hurt.
We wore masks which made us aware of others who did. Very few guests wore masks anywhere. Not in theaters, not inside, not with a mouse, (and not on a house. :P) There were very few things COVID related, like not hugging characters, and mixology wasn't hands on, but that's about all we noticed. Our last cruise was in 2016 and we remember a much stiffer policy on hand sanitation entering restaurants back then. This time, hand sanitizers are everywhere and everyone walks right past them. Tables were still not shared but were not spaced very far apart. Cabanas was closed at dinner but a very busy self serve buffet at breakfast.
This was our experience as well; the part that we remember cruises 2017 and earlier where the cast members insisted every single person entering cabanas use the hand sanitizer wipes, and even hurried after people. They stopped doing this in 2018 (our experience), and there were a lot of people sick that cruise! Inexplicably, it's still the same, they now have the hand washing stations, but nobody insists you use them, or the wipes. I do think these protocols make a difference when rigorously applied, and not just for Covid!

I appreciate all your honesty on what is happening on the ships. I have an upcoming cruise that I am rethinking just because I live with someone with lung/heart issues. I booked it a year out thinking by October things would be different, but I guess that is wishful thinking and this is our new norm. I do wonder if DCL will read some of these posts (on facebook as well) and implement some of their previous procedures?

I appreciate all your honesty on what is happening on the ships. I have an upcoming cruise that I am rethinking just because I live with someone with lung/heart issues. I booked it a year out thinking by October things would be different, but I guess that is wishful thinking and this is our new norm. I do wonder if DCL will read some of these posts (on facebook as well) and implement some of their previous procedures?
If it's of any help, here in my European country, they say we have reached the summer peak now. Infections went up a lot, hospitalizations and deaths hardly. Hopefully the infections will go down again. In my country 2nd boosters are only available to those with weak immune systems or over 60.

I think DCL and the other cruises are moving forward. Several cruiselines are starting to experiment with no longer requiring pre-cruise testing on certain cruises or for certain age groups.
Like others said, the world comes to the realization we have to live with it now.

And how weird things can go: my brother got married last week. Four days later my sister-in-law got covid, probably got infected at her wedding (bye bye honeymoon). My brother didn't get it, probably because of getting it 2 months ago, and despite snogging her a lot ;-)

My mom didn't get it (double boostered) and neither did I (one booster). We were around my sister-in-law constantly on the day before, during and after the wedding.

Last edited:
We have been on two cruises - most recent was in June and was completely maskless except for staff (pretty consistent 95% of staff wearing masks). Saw about 10% of guests maybe wearing masks. We actively avoid wearing masks and would not cruise if they were required. No Covid for us as a couple yet.

If it's of any help, here in my European country, they say we have reached the summer peak now. Infections went up a lot, hospitalizations and deaths hardly. Hopefully the infections will go down again. In my country 2nd boosters are only available to those with weak immune systems or over 60.

I think DCL and the other cruises are moving forward. Several cruiselines are starting to experiment with no longer requiring pre-cruise testing on certain cruises or for certain age groups.
Like others said, the world comes to the realization we have to live with it now.

And how weird things can go: my brother got married on last week. Four days later my sister-in-law got covid, probably got infected at her wedding (bye bye honeymoon). My brother didn't get it, probably because of getting it 2 months ago, and despite snogging her a lot ;-)

My mom didn't get it (double boostered) and neither did I (one booster). We were around my sister-in-law constantly on the day before, during and after the wedding.
It is rather strange how this virus seems to be transmitted. I agree that it is now going to be the norm - as the flu has been for so many years. Still, it makes it hard to go into a situation where you may be pretty sure your percentages will be increased by protocol change.

I didn't understand why Disney is allowing people not to wash or sanitize their hands because that has been a protocol before Covid was around. So, that seems strange to me.

I am sorry for the newlyweds that they are not able to enjoy their honeymoon and I do hope that they are able to put it off until another time without losing any $$.

My DD15 and I just did Wonder June 13-20 and we didn't test positive after. We were worried a bit before the cruise because we travelled from Colorado and visited many people and places for 12 days before the cruise. We wore our masks most of the times indoors on the cruise, especially in crowded settings, and on our excursions. My daughter wasn't feeling great a couple of days after our cruise, but she tested and was negative. We figured it was probably just her allergies because the cottonwood was flying everywhere. Neither of us has ever had Covid (amazingly since I am a teacher and she was in school with so many germy students all year).

Last edited:
We did the Wonder WBPC in March. Masks required. Did not get Covid but the rumor mill said 4 people were taken off with Covid after the transit... probably infected in Cartegenia...last port before.
We were on this cruise also and this is first I'm hearing of this. How disappointing that must have been. IIRC, Cartegena was the day before the transit, possibly too soon to show symptoms. Cozumel was 2 days before Cartegena and I was too afraid to take any excursions there just in case we'd get exposed and then have to miss watching the canal transit. We didn't even go to a beach.

We also sailed last August and November and never got covid until May when dh was exposed to a coworker. We are still in our 90 day recovery bubble of bliss. It's actually a great feeling to not live in fear of catching covid from someone nor do I fear giving it to someone.
It's a lot like the feeling of not needing to worry about using birth control while you're already pregnant. :laughing:

Last edited:
As a healthcare worker, our family is vaccinated and double boosted but son under 5 yo unvaccinated. Always wear masks at least KN95 or higher. Had cruise planned but all got Covid one week before trip. Hard to believe until latest data of BA4 and BA5 variants as tee11 mentioned results in higher contagiousness. Vaccine and boosters less than 30% protective against most recent strains but helps to prevent severe disease. Agree with others, Covid is something we have to live with. Everyone needs to decide about the individual risk although courteous hygienic measures are truly appreciated.

That being said, new vaccines which better protect against variants may be available in early October possibly (in US) and the availability of vaccines for under 5 yo will definitely provide more peace of mind for those of us who choose to cruise. We are in a better place than 2 years ago but not out of the woods yet. Confident that science will eventually allow us to get back to some sense of normality but no guarantee. I wish everyone safe cruising.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter