Coupons an Embarassment?

I use coupons if there is one for a product I normally purchase. None of the stores nearby double or tripple them, they are face value only. :(

This is my issue also. I live in a small town. We have a WalMart and a Dillons. No one doubles. The coupons in the paper are usually for junk. The closest Wallgreens/CVS/Target/etc are 45 minutes away, and with the price of gas its just not worth it.

I use coupons when I can, but would like to get better at it. Where I live (Brooklyn) we only have smaller local chains that don't do store coupons, but I use mfgr coupons when I can and also use the store's loyalty card which often has an extra discount off of sale items.

We also have a food co-op. They have a monthly coupon book and often put the same items on sale that there are coupons for, so we match those up and get organic brands for the same price or less than regular brands. They also "coupon share" within the store - they have a bunch of the booklets on a counter at the front and a basket for people to throw in coupons they don't use, so you can get multiples of coupons you want. We also get a small (3%) discount for being members. It usually only takes a few cents off of each item, but over the course of a year our savings well exceeds the membership fee.

Recently our local paper ran an interview with Truett Cathy (founder of Chick-fil-A).

My wife said she would cook three meals a day if I would just take her out to dinner after church on Sunday. [Since Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays] I’ll eat with my competition to see what they’re doing.

Oftentimes I just put it in a sack and take it home so I won’t be seen eating at my competitors. Everybody that sells Cokes is my competitor, and chicken houses and other people in direct competition — so I take advantage of coupons I get in the paper — buy one, get one free. …

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2009/05/03/truett_cathy_sunday.html

I've had folks make comments to me and only one time did it really get to me. This guy was so rude. I finally said that if he wanted to give me the cash that I was going to save, I'd skip the coupons. Amazingly enough he hushed. :)

Thank you to all the couponing folks who have been sharing their successes, tip and the occasional frustration.

Ginny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter