Couple sneaks Wedding in the Tiki Room~Feelings? and other sneaky things done in the parks

So, I'm probably going to totally regret this but...

my DH and I did this at WDW back in 2010.

We had special shirts made with our role in the wedding (bride, groom, maid of honor, officiant, etc) made and we paid for everyone's entrance. My husband-to-be wore the top hat with mickey ears and I wore the Minnie veil ears. We waited right in front of the Cinderella's Castle while the show was going on and then the minute it ended and the crowd dispersed we rushed to the front and got married.

I was so wrapped up in the moment I didn't realize a huge crowd (200+) had formed a semi circle around unless until after we said "I do" and they all clapped and cheered.

Also, there were several Diney employees (suits) that came over to congratulate us. They did not mind at all because they called in a few photgraphers and had us re enact some of the key moments, like the kiss, for promotional photos. Everyone in our party had to sign releases that they could use our photos for commercial purposes. They gave us that photopass card with all of the pictures (50+) for free.

So, I have no idea if this thing would be okay now, but Disney sure didn't mind back then.

edited to fix spelling errors

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes
All good vibes from me!
Wish I had been there to see it!

Now if you had been wearing a Goofy Hat and had been hitting the groom with a pink umbrella, I don't think I could support it....
or if your wedding party of 50 had started clapping and chanting down Main Street....that's another story....:eek:

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes
All good vibes from me!
Wish I had been there to see it!

Now if you had been wearing a Goofy Hat and had been hitting the groom with a pink umbrella, I don't think I could support it....
or if your wedding party of 50 had started clapping and chanting down Main Street....that's another story....:eek:

I'm with you on all of the above. :)

Wasn't there a story a few years ago where another couple tried to have a discreet stealth wedding in Disneyland and a CM found out and brought a couple characters over for pictures but then management found out about it and the couple was banned for awhile and the CM fired?

Everything I have ever heard or read says weddings on Disney property that don't go through DFTW are strictly prohibited.

So, I'm probably going to totally regret this but...

my DH and I did this at WDW back in 2010.

We had special shirts made with our role in the wedding (bride, groom, maid of honor, officiant, etc) made and we paid for everyone's entrance. My husband-to-be wore the top hat with mickey ears and I wore the Minnie veil ears. We waited right in front of the Cinderella's Castle while the show was going on and then the minute it ended and the crowd dispersed we rushed to the front and got married.

I was so wrapped up in the moment I didn't realize a huge crowd (200+) had formed a semi circle around unless until after we said "I do" and they all clapped and cheered.

Also, there were several Diney employees (suits) that came over to congratulate us. They did not mind at all because they called in a few photgraphers and had us re enact some of the key moments, like the kiss, for promotional photos. Everyone in our party had to sign releases that they could use our photos for commercial purposes. They gave us that photopass card with all of the pictures (50+) for free.

So, I have no idea if this thing would be okay now, but Disney sure didn't mind back then.

edited to fix spelling errors

That sounds like fun and so special that Disney has extra photos done for you.

If a couple chooses to have a 'sneak' wedding, so what? The couple didn't hurt anyone. They have a memory to share with their kids and grand kids if they choose to have any. Maybe it's my age but at this point in my life, a story like this that brings joy to people makes me happy. .
I'm sure a lot of posters have heard about the splinter in your neighbor's eye and about stones and glass houses.

You also can't go into the parks in wedding attire or costumes. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen, because I've seen it. Not every CM is versed in all the rules nor will every CM enforce them. Just because you can get away with something, doesn't mean you should.

There are at least some couples who wanted quick Disney weddings who called the Disney Fairytale Weddings department and asked. (This comes up every now and then on the wedding board.) They were told it is against the rules. There are couples who would have loved a castle wedding, but chose to work within the system.

As I said, maybe I'm a spoil sport. But I don't see how this is different than pool hopping, pop refills (when you could get away with it), or making a free salad from the hamburger toppings.

I agree with the many people who do not see this wedding as any more of an event than a proposal, birthday luncheon, etc. Many of those things are more intrusive and much more of an event than this apparently was.

I believe there is a rule against hiring a professional photographer to take photos for you while in the parks (ie, you cannot hire someone else to work IN the parks for you, you need to hire the photographers they provide), but it doesn't sound like this wedding had anything other than friends and family taking their own photos.

No rules about wearing costumes or formal attire were broken. Basically, a group of people all went to the "show" at the same time, were in line together so that they could sit together, said some words to one another while waiting in the normal waiting time, and two of them kissed and some others probably clapped or cheered. This does not take anything away from Disney, or other guests or break any rules so far as I can tell.

It is no more stealing from Disney (as someone claims) than prebuying some souvenir type things on clearance when at home and handing them out to your kids as you exit rides they match, wait for parades, etc, instead of buying them in the parks for huge sums, or a parent painting their kids fingernails, putting make up on her and fixing her hair, then dressing her in a homemade princess dress to wear to the parks instead of paying for the same at the Bippitiy Bop Boutique.
No one snuck in without paying admission, had exclusive use of a venue in the park without other guests present, had any special service performed by CMs for the wedding, etc.

I think it is kind of sweet for the right people. I'd love to attend something like that.

Last edited:
The thing about not paying is that this couple didn't really get a "Disney Fairytale Wedding" for free. What they got was a super-fast wedding with a small group of friends watching. It's not really the same at all and, again, they were unobtrusive. This was hardly an "event" any more than a proposal or other small celebration. I actually don't think there is a large number of people who would really go for this type of thing anyway, so the precedent isn't going to cause a mass influx of these things. It seems from the anecdotal evidence that CMs don't mind so I just don't see it as a big deal, just a different and clever wedding.

BTW: I LOVE the Tiki Room and think it was a great choice!

with all the crap going on in the world~people getting married while "testing" the Disney rules (is about as harsh as I see it) is not even a blip on my radar. Who was harmed? Who was inconvenienced? Did the couple walk around bragging about what they just pulled off? Did people report them saying I got more out of my day at Disney than you did? I am a stock holder, and I see this as positive press. Disney didn't lose money on a wedding as they obviously were not going to pay the inflated price they charge.If anything another affordable venue lost this couple to Disney. The couple did have a few guests there that have paid to go in that day , probably ate something, maybe a souvinir to commemorate otherwise, so maybe the park even made a few bucks. I get the slippery slope issue, but pretty sure Disney will keep a short leash on these types of things . My fun-sucker alert is working overtime on this thread, it was a 90 second marriage folks, a happy moment.
ETA: I am respecting all opinions, it 's just sad to me, to read so much negativity on the matter. I am a fan of thinking outside the box and having more than one answer for things so to me I appreciate their solution.

Last edited:
You also can't go into the parks in wedding attire or costumes. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen, because I've seen it. Not every CM is versed in all the rules nor will every CM enforce them. Just because you can get away with something, doesn't mean you should.

There are at least some couples who wanted quick Disney weddings who called the Disney Fairytale Weddings department and asked. (This comes up every now and then on the wedding board.) They were told it is against the rules. There are couples who would have loved a castle wedding, but chose to work within the system.

As I said, maybe I'm a spoil sport. But I don't see how this is different than pool hopping, pop refills (when you could get away with it), or making a free salad from the hamburger toppings.
Maybe because there are posted rules about the things you mention, but nothing about "unauthorized weddings"?

Next year dh and I will be celebrating 20 years and I would love to go to F&W to celebrate. Maybe a quick vowel renew in front of the Torii Gate in Japan could be arranged :rolleyes1
during F&W...crowds will be big enough that no one will notice an "event" going on, lol. Matter of fact they will just be happy you aren't in line for the goodies :teeth: That would be a cool spot tho! Joking or not? I'm all for the magic that happens at Disney.

during F&W...crowds will be big enough that no one will notice an "event" going on, lol. Matter of fact they will just be happy you aren't in line for the goodies :teeth: That would be a cool spot tho! Joking or not? I'm all for the magic that happens at Disney.

If dh was on board I would totally do it! Its getting him to WDW again that is going to be the hard part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter