• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Couple questions about Topsider's...

Carla -- When I read your post and saw the word "pop" in it, I immediately had to look to see where you live (Illinois, of course). We lived in Chicago and the suburbs until we moved to North Carolina 17 years ago. My son went to baseball camp @ UNCC a couple of days after we got here, stayed in a dorm and asked where the pop machine was. No one had any idea what he was talking about. I still say pop around the family and just say Coke or whatever around others. Did you notice that most of your replies have "soda" in them? It was great to hear you talking "normally". By the way, we have never eaten dinner at Topsiders, but I have heard that it is mostly sitdown and the food is the same or very similar to what is being served in the dining rooms.

No, the buffets are not going to have the same food as the dining room for dinner. Check out the menus over at www.dcltribute.com and you will see why. Dinner is very much a multi course, plated experience - not something easily served out of chafing dishes at a buffet.

Also check out the menus for special needs (il-gander, print them out for your husband - they may not be exactly current, but they aren't going to change too much). I think you will find they are highly appropriate "as is" to a diabetic diet without calling ahead. (If you are vegan or kosher or something else not as common, call ahead). My dad is diabetic and since diagnosis I tend to be much more aware of menu choices. Every night in the dining room they offer a grilled sirloin, a grilled chicken and a grilled salmon with grilled vegetables and at least two vegetarian selections. There are always several sugar free dessert selections (though two may be ice cream and cookies, the third is often something along the lines of sugar free cheesecake). We always did four courses, but sometimes it was two appetizers, sometimes a soup and a salad, sometimes an appetizer and soup or salad.

The wait staff and kitchen is wonderful. Think the salmon looks wonderful, but want to try the tenderloin - they will bring the tenderloin as a side (or a complete entree!). We had two desserts several nights. Need your sauces on the side, just ask. Want nothing but appetizers - not a problem, they will serve course after course of them. Want to sub the side from one entree to another - they will do it.

Originally posted by jeanniec
Carla -- When I read your post and saw the word "pop" in it, I immediately had to look to see where you live (Illinois, of course).

Ahh, the great "pop" debate... yep, I've lived in Illinois all my life where we know that carbonated cola beverages are called POP:teeth: ! I wondered if anyone would call me on that, LOL. I didn't know until I went to a college that other people referred to pop as soda, soda-pop or Coke (regardless of actual brand)!

Originally posted by crisi

Also check out the menus for special needs (il-gander, print them out for your husband - they may not be exactly current, but they aren't going to change too much). I think you will find they are highly appropriate "as is" to a diabetic diet without calling ahead. (If you are vegan or kosher or something else not as common, call ahead). My dad is diabetic and since diagnosis I tend to be much more aware of menu choices. Every night in the dining room they offer a grilled sirloin, a grilled chicken and a grilled salmon with grilled vegetables and at least two vegetarian selections. There are always several sugar free dessert selections (though two may be ice cream and cookies, the third is often something along the lines of sugar free cheesecake). We always did four courses, but sometimes it was two appetizers, sometimes a soup and a salad, sometimes an appetizer and soup or salad.

Thanks for the info, Crisi. I have shared the menus from that site and the Castaway Club site with him, but he's apparently determined to worry about this. :rolleyes: I think he'll be fine in the dining rooms, but it's great to get info about the buffets just in case!

Carla

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter