Counter Service Kids Menus Are Really Limited!

Sammie said:
Just curious those parents who are saying that the children's menus are too limited, what did you do to feed your children prior to the Dining Plan?

Did you always purchase adult meals for them?

I guess I am curious as I don't remember much discussion of the lack of edible children's meals until the Dining Plan became popular. I do remember discussions from Adults "wanting" to eat the Kid's meal. They must like that crappy food. :rolleyes:

We didn't do a lot of CS prior to DDP. TS places are a lot more varied. Usually though, I will share meals. If there are 4 of us (DH, DD13, DD7, and I), we will order 1 appetizer, 3 entrees, 1 desert, soda for the girls, bottled water for the adults and share all around.

My DDs wouldn't touch "chilled chicken" with a 10 foot pole.

Sammie said:
Just curious those parents who are saying that the children's menus are too limited, what did you do to feed your children prior to the Dining Plan?

I guess I am curious as I don't remember much discussion of the lack of edible children's meals until the Dining Plan became popular. I do remember discussions from Adults "wanting" to eat the Kid's meal. They must like that crappy food. :rolleyes:

We got the kids pizza a couple of times, and I do remember my youngest eating some chicken fingers and fries at Columbia Harbour House in MK, and my oldest had a burger at Pecos Bill's too.

Sammie said:

Well most ppl dont go out to eat for 5 days in a row normally.. WDW knows most of their guests are there for 3 days or more and considering this the kids menus should have just a few more choices..Would you want to eat the same thing every day?

Famlies with older kids would buy adult CS meals. Without the dining plan, and without DME, famlies would rent a car and have some meals offsite. Some famlies would even eat more meals in their room.

Sammie said:

bluejasmine said:
Well most ppl dont go out to eat for 5 days in a row normally.. WDW knows most of their guests are there for 3 days or more and considering this the kids menus should have just a few more choices..Would you want to eat the same thing every day?

I am not saying the menus are not limited, I was asking what did people do before the dining plan at WDW?

I don't think the kid's menus have changed just because of the plan. My point was I do not remember this much discussion about the lack of variety in kid's meals at Disney until the recent Dining Plan.

So prior to that were people not buying these meals as LewisC said, buying adult meals and sharing, eating off property, eating in their room, or eating them without complaint.

Everyone went back to their treehouse and had a ham sandwich! :thumbsup2

We don't get the Plan, because it doesn't work for us. But, I often find that I buy an adult meal for one or the other of my kids at CS places, because they don't want either of the kids meals. Maybe 1 out of every three meals this happens.

Because I'm paying out of pocket anyway, it's no big deal--a few extra dollars. If I were on the Plan, though, I could imagine being unhappy, as I'd have one credit that potentially would go unused, *and* I'd have to pay for a meal.

Brian Noble said:
We don't get the Plan, because it doesn't work for us. But, I often find that I buy an adult meal for one or the other of my kids at CS places, because they don't want either of the kids meals. Maybe 1 out of every three meals this happens.

Because I'm paying out of pocket anyway, it's no big deal--a few extra dollars. If I were on the Plan, though, I could imagine being unhappy, as I'd have one credit that potentially would go unused, *and* I'd have to pay for a meal.

Thanks for sharing. Any maybe for families with kids that have to eat off the kid's menu it's not the best plan. Maybe it's a very good deal for anyone over 10.

my choices for the kids would consist of either splitting one adult combo meal between two of the DD's or sharing mine with them.

As for more discussion recently about children's CS choices, I think it is clear that the DDP is popular and with its rise in popularity so to is the rise is all things related to dining at WDW. If my kids weren't getting their own ddp entitlements, for kids' meals only, then I wouldn't be looking for 8 days of at least some variety in kids' meals. I will concede that some posters are complaining, but there are many of us who are just observing.

As far as us adults who used to talk about eating the "crappy kids' meals :rolleyes: ," I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you that some dining decisions are budget dictated...FYI, whenever I did that it was as a result of getting my kids adult meals, so I wasn't officially violating any Disney policy.

Brian Noble said:

That is exactly it. I have not read all ten pages, so I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I wish you had the option to "upgrade" to an adult meal and pay the difference. Some of the kids meals would suit my DD8 fine, but in some cases she might prefer an adult choice, or be exceptionally hungry and want a bigger protion. I would be happy to pay the difference, but hate to not use a credit and pay the full amount. I will end up sharing with her, or switching and eating her meal, but I would much rather order what I want and get to eat it!

Sammie said:

Well it would that you would be waisting a bunch of CS credits and then buying the same adult meals you bought for your kids in the past. At least that is our situation, my DD8 could turn into a chicken strip at WDW, but no CS menus have chicken strips (nuggets are different-chopped and formed). So if I want to follow the rules and get 2 adult meals and 1 child's, I'd have to either eat the child meal myself or waist the credit completely. Who wants to throw away a free or already paid for meal????? :crazy:

Sammie said:
I don't think the kid's menus have changed just because of the plan. My point was I do not remember this much discussion about the lack of variety in kid's meals at Disney until the recent Dining Plan.

So prior to that were people not buying these meals as LewisC said, buying adult meals and sharing, eating off property, eating in their room, or eating them without complaint.

We were new to the dis board before our trip and didn't notice too much,the discussion about "choices" or "menus"

Just coming back from disney...we did notice the CS choices for kids were very limited as compared to prior trips. I think Disney wanted to add healthier choices to the kids menu -roll-ups, carrots & applesauce (but left burgers, fries pizza for adults?)
Originally I was thinking of it from an efficiency point of view...less menu items/choices less items to stock, less different prep areas. Some of those new sides are prepackaged and have a longer shelf life (hey the applesauce doesn't even need to be refrigerated) But that didn't make total sense, since they were still making those items for adults.

Oh, and I think one reason they've added those Smuckers peanutbutter & jelly sandwiches is because of allergies. We used to order just pb but couldn't this time around.

Pedler said:
I agree that these kids menus are limited at the TS places but when going to authentic or semi authentic restaurants with cuisine from other countries I generally don't find chicken nuggets, burgers or mac & cheese. Many don't even have a real kids menu. They just offer smaller portions at a discount for kids only.

I agree that most authentic restaurants would not have a child's menu but then again most people know their kids and would opt not to go somewhere like that with that kind of kid (we wouldn't), however when you are at a family vacation destination like WDW, I think it's fair to expect a certain amount of child-friendly menus. :)

jmurphy625 said:
We were new to the dis board before our trip and didn't notice too much,the discussion about "choices" or "menus"

Just coming back from disney...we did notice the CS choices for kids were very limited as compared to prior trips. I think Disney wanted to add healthier choices to the kids menu -roll-ups, carrots & applesauce (but left burgers, fries pizza for adults?)
Originally I was thinking of it from an efficiency point of view...less menu items/choices less items to stock, less different prep areas. Some of those new sides are prepackaged and have a longer shelf life (hey the applesauce doesn't even need to be refrigerated) But that didn't make total sense, since they were still making those items for adults.

Oh, and I think one reason they've added those Smuckers peanutbutter & jelly sandwiches is because of allergies. We used to order just pb but couldn't this time around.
They have had the Uncrustables for probably 4 years now. DD could still get a real PB&J at 'Ohana in December though.

Sammie said:

I never complained about the lack of childrens's meals because when, say, we went to Peco Bill's for burgers, I would order an adult meal (burger) for them. NOW, this time we are on the dining plan and I'm not allowed to do that.

I totally get why, but it still puts me in a pickle..............I'm at a place that is known for it's great burgers and it's fixins bar, and my child has to order beans and franks??! :rotfl: I don't think so! So, I will order a double cheeseburger meal for myself and split it with him.

Thank goodness my other two children are considered adults.........I'd have an even bigger problem!

aka-mad4themouse said:
I've always felt that WDW offered the best selection of children's menus in the theme park industry. While not every restaurant offers more than the usual chicken nuggets/hotdog/mac&cheese selections, there are a number of CS locations that do. For instance:
AK
Tusker House
Chicken Drumstick​
Flame Tree
Baked Chicken Wings​
MGM
ABC Commissary
Fish and Chips
Vegetable Noodle Stir Fry​
Flatbread Grill
Grilled Chicken Wrap with seasonal side item​
Pizza Planet
pizza​
EPCOT
Sunshine Seasons
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Mini Sub
Chicken Leg​
Electric Umbrella
Turkey Pinwheels​
Tangierine Cafe
hamburger, pizza​
Yakitori
Teriyaki Chicken with mixed vegetables​
MK
Cosmic Ray's​
chicken noodle soup & cheddar cheese crackers​
El Pirata y el Perico
children's taco​

Good to know! Thanks for the info!

The question was asked, what did you do before the dining plan. Well I can only say from the last time, but we just ordered regular CS meals. We didn't even notice that they had kids meals. So if Disney considers chopped/pressed/formed chicken nuggets a better choice than white meat chicken strips they need to think a little harder.

And while plenty of people "in the know" about Disney will say "maybe the dining plan isn't for you" they should also realize that most of us aren't at Disney 8 times a year. We don't know the menu is so limited. (or didn't know) So if Disney sells us the Dining plan (or sells us a vacation based on the free dining plan) then they should at least be offering things that kids can eat. Because, I would be royally (angry) if I got there planning to not spend a lot of money on food and found that I had to anyway.

So anyhow, I will find out in August whether the Dining plan works for me or not. If I have to spend some money it won't be a big deal for me, but I'm sure there are people who save a long time and plan a lot with a strict budget and they should at least know what they are going to face when they get there.

frayedend said:
The question was asked, what did you do before the dining plan. Well I can only say from the last time, but we just ordered regular CS meals. We didn't even notice that they had kids meals. So if Disney considers chopped/pressed/formed chicken nuggets a better choice than white meat chicken strips they need to think a little harder.

And while plenty of people "in the know" about Disney will say "maybe the dining plan isn't for you" they should also realize that most of us aren't at Disney 8 times a year. We don't know the menu is so limited. (or didn't know) So if Disney sells us the Dining plan (or sells us a vacation based on the free dining plan) then they should at least be offering things that kids can eat. Because, I would be royally (angry) if I got there planning to not spend a lot of money on food and found that I had to anyway.

So anyhow, I will find out in August whether the Dining plan works for me or not. If I have to spend some money it won't be a big deal for me, but I'm sure there are people who save a long time and plan a lot with a strict budget and they should at least know what they are going to face when they get there.

I agree - last time we went 5 years ago, we split adult meals at CS (kids were 3 & 5). I don't think that families should have to pay OOP for something they've already paid for - meaning the CS credit - every one in the party would have their CS credit for the day, why would I not use it and spend more money or travel half way around a park to find a decent meal for my DD8. By decent, I mean not giving her franks and beans while her 10 yo db chows down on a burger. And, I am on vacation, too, and I don't want to eat her franks and beans for my lunch, either. We are one of those families who have had to scrimp and save and live on a very strict budget to be able to return for our second trip - it has taken us 5 years. I've been able to research the menus and have been able to plan my CS to find something for everyone, but it has taken a while, and fortunately I like to plan, (unfortunately, it involves some sharing between myself and DS10, which may not be allowed for much longer, so I may have to go back to the drawing board with some things...). I can't imagine the shock others must have when they don't research/plan for whatever reason like a lot of us do and are on a budget - I think it could suck the magic right out of the trip. I know I wouldn't be happy if I ended up having to shell out more $ for something I thought I had already paid for and really didn't have much room in the budget to do so. The DDP basically covers all but one meal for the day and I have budgeted for that, plus extra snacks for each day - I have not budgeted to pay OOP for any meals for anyone - if I had to pay OOP for a CS for DD at about $6.00 - that would increase the price of the DDP for her for that day by 50%. People can so easily say - just pay OOP for it, but it isn't easy for everyone to do that. And although I know some people try to get something for nothing regarding the DDP and cheat the system, there are people like me who need to live on a tight budget on a daily basis and it is just second nature to closely analyze every expense to make sure they can make what little money they have go as far as possible - I plan on following the rules of the DDP, but I will try to make it go as far as possible under those rules. I hope the DDP will work for me and I hope for once, it will allow our family not to have to feel like we're on a budget.

I agree with you 100%. We are on a very tight budget as well. It has taken us a few years to save up for this trip and it feels good to not have to "feel" like we are on a tight budget during this trip. It will actually feel like a vacation! We don't have to share with the kids and if they want dessert, they can get it! This doesn't happen normally! I have done alot of research as well and have budgeted to pay oop for a few meals since we have ADR's for Hoop Dee Doo! Looking forward to a REAL vacation!

akalittleeva-You have stated things quite well. We all want to do what is best for our family and sometimes spending that extra money for what your child will eat is just not an option. That's why we will be using the dining plan in the best way for us to get what we need. I won't be using my child's TS credits to eat at a fancy place, but if I can get something she'll actually eat with a CS credit I will do it. Most of the time, I figure we will be sharing 2 CS adult meals with 4 people(DS is too young for the plan, but, strangely enough, still wants to eat) and using the child's CS credit for breakfast for her and DS to share. Good luck and have lots of fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter