Costco- Canada

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hi there,

I saw on another thread that people have luck getting good rental car deals through Costco. I'm in Canada and my mom has a Costco Membership. Would my mom have to be the driver of the vehicle? She is coming on the trip, but will not be the driver. What is the process? Do you actually go in a speak with someone at the store? I know nothing about Costco or how it works lol.
Thanks!

Hi there,

I saw on another thread that people have luck getting good rental car deals through Costco. I'm in Canada and my mom has a Costco Membership. Would my mom have to be the driver of the vehicle? She is coming on the trip, but will not be the driver. What is the process? Do you actually go in a speak with someone at the store? I know nothing about Costco or how it works lol.
Thanks!
You won't actually be dealing with Costco for the rental and Canadians cannot use Costcotravel.com either (need USA address).
But you can use the Costco ID and discount codes directly on the rental cars website. They deal with Alamo, Enterprise, Budget and Avis.
The Costco ID allows 2 drivers for free

Last edited:
You won't actually be dealing with Costco for the rental and Canadians cannot use Costcotravel.com either (need USA address).
But you can use the Costco ID and discount codes directly on the rental cars website. They deal with Alamo, Enterprise, Budget and Avis.
The Costco ID allows 2 drivers for free
Wrong about Costco travel. They can use Costcotravel.ca and do their rental through that site. It's the Canadians only Costco travel site. The other info is pretty much the same.

Wrong about Costco travel. They can use Costcotravel.ca and do their rental through that site. It's the Canadians only Costco travel site. The other info is pretty much the same.
You are correct about costcotravel.ca, but the Canadian site doesn't show most of the discount codes that the US site has and the prices always seem to be better on costcotravel.com (maybe because they have more discount codes available).

I still think it's better to use the Costco ID and discount codes directly on the rental car company's website IMHO

How do you use your Costco id on the rental site and where are the discount codes?
As an example, I'll use the Alamo.com website: first enter where you want to rent (Orlando International is MCO), select the dates and times for pickup and drop off. Now you will notice a link that says "add a discount code", when you click it you will see 3 boxes, first one is "Coupon code" - try AD3868JST ($25 off). Second box is where you enter the "Contract ID" (7014627). The third box is for a rate code, there are a couple of those kicking around on the Transportation forum but they have been causing some issues so I'd leave this box blank.

If you look on Costcotravel.com under the individual rental car companies, you will see "featured coupons" and at the bottom of the coupon it will show the Costco contract ID and the coupon code (these can be used directly on the rental company's website.
Here's Alamo: https://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars/Alamo

Budget: https://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars/Budget
Budget uses a "BCD code" (instead of Contract ID, but same thing) and a coupon code.
Just plug these numbers into the appropriate boxes on budget.com when making your reservation.

https://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars/Avis

https://www.costcotravel.com/Rental-Cars/Enterprise

Whichever company you decide to rent from, sign up for their free loyalty program. This will give you the option to pre-enter your info and makes it easier to make, re-book and cancel reservations and in most cases, it gives you the ability to by-pass the counter and go right to the garage and pick up your vehicle

Okay, so on the US Costco site, I found this:

upload_2016-5-21_21-7-28.png

That's where you found the Contract id, right?

On the Canadian Costco site, I found this:

upload_2016-5-21_21-8-44.png

So the contract ID and coupon codes are different. It looks like I have to use the Costco site to get the "Costco Savings", for which the US site has a coupon. I haven't signed up for Alamo's loyalty program, yet, but that might also buy me something, if I'm understanding you. I did find, at least in the vehicle class I was searching, that the Alamo site had the same price in their "Pay Now" as Costco did as their reserve only price.

You can use the Canadian code (7016405) and combine it with a coupon code. Just make sure it's a coupon you are entitled to use. I just returned in April and used a coupon code ($50 off weekly rental) in conjunction with the Costco Canada code and was told that the coupon had actually expired. I didn't notice until I returned home and looked at my rental car charges but there is no way the coupon was expired because I only booked the car 1 day prior to my rental.
After a few emails to customer service it was determined that the coupon was valid but the agent at the booth in the garage didn't notice it on my reservation (and I didn't double check the paperwork prior to leaving the garage).
I believe the renter has to have a valid Costco membership therefore the credit card used for payment would also have to be in her name. Costco does give you an additional driver for free with Alamo so you could rent in your mother's name and then list yourself or whomever will be doing the driving as the additional driver at no charge and then just have your mother not drive. I have never noticed a difference in price when trying the US vs Canadian code, you just have to look a bit more for the discount codes sometimes, usually in the transportation forum.

Okay, so on the US Costco site, I found this:

That's where you found the Contract id, right?

On the Canadian Costco site, I found this:

So the contract ID and coupon codes are different. It looks like I have to use the Costco site to get the "Costco Savings", for which the US site has a coupon. I haven't signed up for Alamo's loyalty program, yet, but that might also buy me something, if I'm understanding you. I did find, at least in the vehicle class I was searching, that the Alamo site had the same price in their "Pay Now" as Costco did as their reserve only price.
You can use the code from either site. We are Canadian and have been using the costcotravel.com codes for years. The US site typically shows more options for coupons so I always check there first. If you put the Contract ID and coupon code into Alamo.com (or Alamo.ca) the rental price is usually exactly the same.

If you are making the reservation on Alamo.ca, it defaults to you being a Canadian.
If you are booking on Alamo.com, it defaults to you being from the USA but you can change it to Canada in the drop down box.

The main reason that we book directly on the rental company's website (instead of through costcotravel.com) is that your reservation is directly booked with the rental car company, it's easy to change, cancel, re-book if plans change or prices drop.
Costcotravel.com(.ca) is essentially a travel agency that is making the reservation for you which is just and unnecessary step IMHO

Yeah, I noticed the US site had more, too. When I tried to apply a US code, though, it wouldn't let me. It might be because my dates were so far out, though. I wonder when they will announce coupon codes into 2017?

Also, I had to laugh at the "upgrade for free" coupon. It wanted to upgrade me from the Standard SUV to a convertible. Not going to work for me, lol.

Yeah, I noticed the US site had more, too. When I tried to apply a US code, though, it wouldn't let me. It might be because my dates were so far out, though. I wonder when they will announce coupon codes into 2017?

Also, I had to laugh at the "upgrade for free" coupon. It wanted to upgrade me from the Standard SUV to a convertible. Not going to work for me, lol.
Yeah, the free upgrade only works on: Compact car to Midsize car, Midsize car to Standard car, and Standard car to Full size car.

You need to pair the US Contact ID with the US coupon code, you can't mix and match between to 2 (ie: Cdn Contract ID and US coupon code)

Oh! Do you need to show your Costco card to prove you are eligible for the rate?
We have been using the Costco rate for several years but never been asked to show our card.
When using the Costco Contract ID to make your reservation, there is a box on the last page where you have to enter your Costco member number.

We always do the online checkin so we don't have to go to the counter and interact with an agent.
Head to the garage and pick a vehicle, load up and head to the gate (keys are in the vehicles)
The gate attendant usually just verifys your paperwork, drivers licence and credit card, then you are on your way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter