Costa Concordia Runs Aground / Deaths Reported

That's one thing that has been bugging me.

Is it normal after such tragedy to send people away so fast to their homes, many in very far away countries, probably without a propper phisical exam or psicological evaluation due to post traumatic stress. How do you know you don't have a neck injury that it kick's in a week later.

It seems to me ppl were rushed out. Like with that the problem would go away.

Of course Costa wants to clean up and put this behind them as quickly as possible. The only reason to have an exam and document your injuries is if you expect compensation from Costa. Costa isn't going to help passengers to sue them.

As for the tragedy overall, frankly -- unlike some other posters -- I don't think they did a "pretty good job". I think this was an absolute horror of unpreparedness, incompentence and hubris (gee, sounds like what caused the Titanic disaster, doesn't it?). Sorry, I don't think the fact that "only" 25 or so people are missing or confirmed dead means the crew and the shipping company did a "pretty good job". Many of those who survived managed to save themselves, with no help whatsoever from the crew. It's just fortunate some people could swim for it since they were close to land..

In my opinion, the horrors and terrors of this tragedy add up to an industry that needs to take a serious look at safety and, clearly, needs much more regulation. I hope the EU will be taking a close look at this and coming up with much more stringent laws for ships stopping at ports in Europe.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the industry after this. I have been on numerous cruises, but really don't see myself going on a cruise again after this.

They seem to have had very poor record keeping for who was and was not on board.

I keep hoping the missing people missed the ship and are just out of touch as they chose to go do something else and are out of tv range.

That would be great.....but doubtful. My concern is for the crew members who worked below deck in the engine room and such. As soon as they hit that rock water began rushing into the ship. Presumably water tight doors immediately shut and isolated lower portions of the ship and thereby sealing people off.

Has anyone see the breakdown in the missing as to how many of the dead and missing were crew members and how many were passengers?

I think, this is the most recent list.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16151746
Authorities have now released details of the people still missing.

Some 12 Germans among the 21 passengers still missing are named as: Elisabeth Bauer, Horst Galle, Christina Mathi Ganz, Norbert Josef Ganz, Gabriele Grube, Egon Hoer, Margarethe Neth, Inge Schall, Siglinde Stumpf, Brunhild Werp, Josef Werp and Margrit Schroeter.
Gertrud Goergens, a German passenger who was listed among the missing, has been located safe and well in Germany.

Five of the missing are Italian and have been named as Dayana Arlotti, William M Arlotti, Maria Dintrono, Maria Grazia Trecarichi, and Luisa Antonia Virzi.

Another two are French - Michael M Blemand and Mylene Litzler - and the remaining two, Barbara Heil and Gerald Heil, are from the US.
French nationals Jeanne Gannard and Pierre Gregoire, who were initially reported as missing, have been confirmed among the dead.

There are still three crew members who have not been found, who have been identified as Italian Girolamo Giuseppe, Russel Terence Rebello from India and Erika Fani Soriamolina of Peru.

Crew member Sandor Feher, from Hungary, was listed among the missing but has been named as one of dead victims. The 38-year-old violinist died inside the vessel.

Is it normal after such tragedy to send people away so fast to their homes, many in very far away countries, probably without a propper phisical exam or psicological evaluation due to post traumatic stress. How do you know you don't have a neck injury that it kick's in a week later.

1. I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of those wanted to get out of there and back to home as soon as possible. I know I certainly would.

2. PTSD can take weeks, months, even years to manifest itself. How long do you want to keep the passesngers there?

3. If any of the passengers do have late effects, I'm sure they know how to get in touch with Costa for compensation.

here's the timeline:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/01/port-logs-costa-concordia.html

the Coast Guard had to ORDER him to evacuate - this was 11. The Moldovan woman they interviewed says he was on board until 11:45. There is no way any where near the majority of passengers was safe, let alone all that could be evacuated.

From this report, it is clear he is no hero and clearly hampered, time and time again, a timely evacuation.

This is an interesting account

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16638399

The Deputy Mayor of the island took one of the lifeboats and boarded the boat with the intent of finding an officer to help coordinate the evacuation. He ended up staying on board for hours helping with the evacuation. The only officer he found was a very young second class officer who he says was wonderful.

I think it's interesting that when the ship was not listing but in trouble, nobody knew what to do but nobody was panicing. Makes you think that if there was a coordinated evacuation, like there's supposed to be, the number of deaths and injuries may have been minimized if not avoided. Yes, a huge assumption on my part but you can't help but think what if...

...we now have an emerging "why was a fetching young blonde on the bridge of the Concordia when it hit the rocks and what was she doing there " story. Here's some tibits from the link below:

"Adding to the mystery, the woman was reportedly not on the official list of passengers and crews.

As news broke that Italian prosecutors wanted to talk to her, she apparently went online to Facebook and changed her city of residence from ‘Bucharest, Romania’, to ‘Zanzibar, Tanzania’.
"

....:scared1: :scared1:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9024768/Costa-Concordia-investigators-probe-role-of-young-Moldovan-woman-on-cruise-ship.html

costa-concordia_2113573b.jpg

Speculation, she was a "guest" of the Captain's...
Although there was an initial report her name was missing from the list of passengers and crew, Costa Crociere, owners of the boat, said it could provide her ticket number.

The Times also said Ms Cemortan had previously worked for Costa Cruises as a Russian translator but was thought to be taking a "holiday" on the ill-fated ship.
...we now have an emerging "why was a fetching young blonde on the bridge of the Concordia when it hit the rocks and what was she doing there " story. Here's some tibits from the link below:

"Adding to the mystery, the woman was reportedly not on the official list of passengers and crews.

As news broke that Italian prosecutors wanted to talk to her, she apparently went online to Facebook and changed her city of residence from ‘Bucharest, Romania’, to ‘Zanzibar, Tanzania’.
"

....:scared1: :scared1:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9024768/Costa-Concordia-investigators-probe-role-of-young-Moldovan-woman-on-cruise-ship.html

costa-concordia_2113573b.jpg

Three people on board are from our local area and have been interviewed on several newscasts. They said that they have NEVER been contacted by anyone from the cruise line and that the US Embassy and Italian Red Cross assisted them in contacting family, replacing passports that were left on the ship, and getting home. They had much praise for those agencies, but essentially nothing good to say about the evacuation process or the cruise line.

Three people on board are from our local area and have been interviewed on several newscasts. They said that they have NEVER been contacted by anyone from the cruise line and that the US Embassy and Italian Red Cross assisted them in contacting family, replacing passports that were left on the ship, and getting home. They had much praise for those agencies, but essentially nothing good to say about the evacuation process or the cruise line.

Wow, it hit a bit close for you. So happy, these folks are home and okay. Well, at least, as much as anyone can be

My disgust at those on here that do not think the emergency drill is important...... Ughh.
Please do not ever step foot on a boat let alone a ship. You are not welcome.

Best wishes to all of those still alive. Get to land quickly and safely.
Thought's to the family and friends of those that have perished.

Ex Techie

I don't think it was that the emergency drill was not important, it is that the emergency drill was scheduled for the next day. Legally they have 24 hours in which to do the drill.

I, for one think it should be done BEFORE the ship leaves the dock. Period. That way if something unforseen happens like what happened with this ship only 3 hours into the cruise, at least the drill was given and some instructions can help.

God be with all those who were on that ship, everyone will be affected by what happened. God Bless them and be with them. I pray for all of you...I pray also for the families of those who perished.

acots

I don't think it was that the emergency drill was not important, it is that the emergency drill was scheduled for the next day. Legally they have 24 hours in which to do the drill.

I, for one think it should be done BEFORE the ship leaves the dock. Period. That way if something unforseen happens like what happened with this ship only 3 hours into the cruise, at least the drill was given and some instructions can help.

God be with all those who were on that ship, everyone will be affected by what happened. God Bless them and be with them. I pray for all of you...I pray also for the families of those who perished.

acots

Again....this cruise was one in which passengers get on and off at different ports....not the same kind as Disney, where they get on at Port Canaveral, and off in a week (or 3-5 days depending on the ship) at Port Canaveral.

It wouldn't be practical to do the drill when leaving each port, as many people who got onboard at the origin of the cruise would complain like crazy that they were doing the drill repeatedly.....and I'm sure there are other reasons that they don't do it each time.
On a "World" cruise, people join the ship at various ports, and they don't do the drill each time....some of those cruises last half a year or more, imagine having a drill at every port.

Of course Costa wants to clean up and put this behind them as quickly as possible. The only reason to have an exam and document your injuries is if you expect compensation from Costa. Costa isn't going to help passengers to sue them.

As for the tragedy overall, frankly -- unlike some other posters -- I don't think they did a "pretty good job". I think this was an absolute horror of unpreparedness, incompentence and hubris (gee, sounds like what caused the Titanic disaster, doesn't it?). Sorry, I don't think the fact that "only" 25 or so people are missing or confirmed dead means the crew and the shipping company did a "pretty good job". Many of those who survived managed to save themselves, with no help whatsoever from the crew. It's just fortunate some people could swim for it since they were close to land..

In my opinion, the horrors and terrors of this tragedy add up to an industry that needs to take a serious look at safety and, clearly, needs much more regulation. I hope the EU will be taking a close look at this and coming up with much more stringent laws for ships stopping at ports in Europe.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the industry after this. I have been on numerous cruises, but really don't see myself going on a cruise again after this.

I have to agree with you 100% Very well said.

NO one should have died and would not have if the Captain had followed his course instead of trying to be adventurous and thinking he knew better than those that mapped out the voyage's path. I read somewhere that he wanted to give the Giglio islanders a thrill at seeing a ship so very close up and also that he wanted to sail close to the island because the head waiter was from there.

Even the head waiter told the captain that the water was too shallow to sail a ship that large in those waters. The waiter knew better than this has- been captain yet he would not listen to him.

He won't ever captain a ship again in his lifetime! I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. He killed those people, no one else did, he did by being fool hardy and pompous. Then to leave the ship before the evacuation was complete?? I am sickened by his cowardice and and lame lies and excuses.

God Bless those who sailed on that ship. Our prayers are with you. You will have our love and compassion for many years to come. May God also bless the families of the lost. Our hearts go out to all of you.:grouphug:

A minimum of 72 hours of propper medical evaluatin and propper census of passengers.

Why 72 hours? They were not exposed to an infectious agent that takes that long to develop symptoms.

And that still would not pick up those neck injuries that you say "kick in a week later", wouldn't it?

I've been through three emergency evacuations of a large office building and I think that no matter what you tell people as to where they should go and check in and stay until they are cleared, there are going to be those who won't do it. They either believe they had a better idea, want to get out of the area as soon as possible, or want to get back to their families immediately.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter