Cost of food skyrocketing - $9 for a pound of bacon?

I hear ya. It is crazy how bad the prices have gone up. I live in Hawaii and they ship alot of things in. .05 here and .10 does add up and then add gas to it.:scared1: I do go to the local farmer's market. It helps some.

Bacon is absolutely a staple! :love:

We often buy the big 20 oz. bags of real bacon bits (NOT Bacos!) at Costco. They're handy to toss into a skilletful of scrambled eggs or ontop of a salad or... well, pretty much any place that you'd use cooked bacon, you can use these. We still use strip bacon on occasion, but these help to enhance a quick breakfast. We've often gotten them for around $6.99, but they've been slowly increasing in price up to around $7.99.

This past weekend, I saw they were now $9.99. :eek:

Tomatoes are what's killing me. I love tomatoes and normally eat a lot of them but I won't pay $3 a pound for them.

I wish that our salaries were going up as quickly as prices.

I have 4 tomato plants in pots this year, previous years I've done 1 or 2 but this year we went big and did 4. I love fresh tomatoes and don't buy them at the store anymore. They are very easy to grow in pots, you don't need much room at all for them. :)

Then yes it is a staple LOL.

My little local grocery normally runs Smithfield, 2.50 for 12 oz pack. I usually stock up and sometimes have coupons too , I am down to two packs, hoping it will go on sale this week or next. DS8 is obsessed with BLTS .

Nature's own whole wheat is running 3.50 a loaf at our local grocery , but Target has it on sale for 2.17, so I am going to run into town and load up . Unfortunately 2.17 is a raise in price, they used to run it 1.89 a loaf on sale. : (

I paid 1.44 for a single bell pepper the other day, I didn't pay attention when I picked it up at Walmart. All most died when I saw it ring up. I now have 5 bell pepper plants in my garden as do I have tomatoes. My child has been doing with out his beloved grape tomatoes because they are almost 4.00 a pint . UGHHHHHHHH

We have 3 bell pepper plants in our garden, 3 different types of cucumbers as well, some carrots (multi colored carrots), sugar snap peas, squash, zuchini, 4 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of strawberries...I've never planted so many veggies before but man I'm looking forward to a yummy spring/summer/fall! :)

I agree, prices have gone up a lot for many food items, I've stopped buying bacon too, and that sucks for me because I'm the one who loves the bacon.....I wanted to make bfast for dinner tonight or tomorrow night but we only have sausage....so I guess I'm eating sausage instead. :)

I'm just going to say that Americans are VERY spoiled when it comes to food prices and gas prices....from being on a lot of community boards etc over the years, and seeing lots of talk about groceries, etc, you guys have it far better than 90% of the world...not just the 3rd world!

And its recent. Americans used to spend a ton more of their incomes on a percentage basis. http://www.ilfb2.org/fff06/51.pdf

I think we need to accept low food prices were really a historical aberration.

We have 3 bell pepper plants in our garden, 3 different types of cucumbers as well, some carrots (multi colored carrots), sugar snap peas, squash, zuchini, 4 kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of strawberries...I've never planted so many veggies before but man I'm looking forward to a yummy spring/summer/fall! :)

We have squash too : ) , only one kind of cucumber, eggplant, watermelon and I am waiting for the jalapeno and banana pepper plants to come in at the nursery . I have run out of room in the garden will put the peppers in pots. Also have black berry bushes, but they don't produce alot yet. I always go to a local park and pick my own, will be going to the local blueberry farm to pick my own too . Which reminds me, I need to check their schedule !

When I buy bacon, I get it from GFS in a bulk package and then freeze it into portion sizes. It works out well because we do not eat a ton of bacon. It is either an ingredient or used for BLT's.

I agree everything is raising in price. It makes it harder to stick to a budget around here.

I just had to chime in on this bacon thread. I will tell you that right now I have 6 little piggies in my barn waiting for the freezer. :rotfl: That's right it's become so desperate around here that we are growing our own.

The price of grain, corn etc is so high, that is what is is driving a lot of the feed costs, so in my area there is a pig shortage....seriously. Farmers are not raising pigs because it is so darn expensive to feed them. We had to travel to three different places to buy our pigs and nobody has any around here. Two are a 4h project my kids are doing and the rest are destined to be hams.

A 50 lb bag of feed costs $12.00 and a pig will eat about 750 lbs of feed. :scared1: That is what is driving your $9.00 bacon. Of course commercial operations are getting their feed in bulk....but still.

I will also comment on PP statement, I have also read that we spend the lowest percentage of our income on food in the world. Guess these prices are here to stay, next year I may have to get some honeybees. :lmao:

No, I'm not really kidding. :thumbsup2

Sorry, this is slightly off subject - but I just bought cotton balls today at Walmart and they were $2.58!!!:eek: I mean really - cotton balls!

I read somewhere that clothing prices were going up due to the cost of cotton - so I guess this is why - but I feel like I now have to ration them. :confused3

Sorry, this is slightly off subject - but I just bought cotton balls today at Walmart and they were $2.58!!!:eek: I mean really - cotton balls!

I read somewhere that clothing prices were going up due to the cost of cotton - so I guess this is why - but I feel like I now have to ration them. :confused3

a few think tanks bellieve this may actually have a good effect in that we may begin to grow cotton again here in the states and bring back a bit of the textile manufacturing. It's not going to be like the post ww2 era but hey if some small joe wants to start growing his own cotton and making tee shirts here. I'd buy

Anybody else notice food staples skyrocketing? I was at Safeway this weekend and there was one brand of bacon that was $9/lb! Even regular Oscar Mayer is running $6.99 a pound.

DW and I have started looking for close to expiration date clearance packages and buuying them and freezing them. If this economy doesn't turn around, I'm going to start wearing bacon around my neck and trading it...

.... part of the reason that my DH and I went vegetarian 2 years ago. We would only buy organic meat and it just got way out of hand. So, beans and tempeh it is! We're saving money, that's for sure! :goodvibes And I gotta tell ya, we feel better too. :banana:

Like someone else posted. The price of corn has gone up and all the animals still have to eat. Ground beef is going to hit record highs and it has already began. My MIL warned me of this (she's a bit into organic farming). They are buying half of a cow now so we can save it for later. I'm spending a good chunk on it but I figure it's smarter than waiting till summer when I want a good steak and have to pay $20 for it!:sad2:
We rarely buy bacon anymore. It is a true treat when we get it. I have begun to buy ground turkey in a breakfast sausage flavor for a good morning meat. I usually get it for around $1 a lb. and it's much better for you too.
I would love to eat nothing but beans but seriously cannot figure out recipes to make with them.

We eat meatless so often that I have no problem going vegetarian. Maybe this is the push I need.
And as far as produce prices, we really need to learn to eat in season and local for a number of reasons. I guess I will need to get used to not having strawberries in February unless they are frozen from the summer. Oh well.. I was never supposed to anyway.
It's sad that my pocketbook will be the deciding factor that will push me to eat more in line with my ideals but I suppose it's just better that I do.

.... part of the reason that my DH and I went vegetarian 2 years ago. We would only buy organic meat and it just got way out of hand. So, beans and tempeh it is! We're saving money, that's for sure! :goodvibes And I gotta tell ya, we feel better too. :banana:

Me too! I can't afford to eat grass finished, organic meat, so I don't eat meat! I'm saving tons!!!!:thumbsup2

Me too! I can't afford to eat grass finished, organic meat, so I don't eat meat! I'm saving tons!!!!:thumbsup2

We are lucky to get our beef (100% grass fed, and organic in all but name, which does not matter to me, since I know the farmer personally...it is too expensive for him to jump through hoops to be called "organic") for about $4.40 a pound per 1/4 or 1/2. This is the "finished" price. This is quite a bargain really, considering that it's for ALL cuts...including the best steaks, etc. His prices for the coming year are relatively constant because he does not feed corn...the price of the native prairie grasses in his pastures hasn't gone up.:thumbsup2 Go local. It's a wonderful thing for all concerned.

My hugest shock is dairy. I'm sorry but $10 a brick of cheese not on sale and almost $ 5 a bag for milk now has me boarder shopping. I'mm glad I only live 10 mins from the boarder but geeze you would think milk which is a basic need wouldn't be so costly. As I have 7 people lin the house going through 4-5 bags a week is super easy!

WOW! Where the heck do ya'll live???

Bacon has gone up, but it's still less than $3 a pound at Sam's Club. You have to buy it in 3 pound packages that are $8.57, but it's 3 WHOLE pounds, I've noticed at Walmart that the same looking package that used to be a pound is only 12 ounces and the price has gone up.

Lettuce...just bought a nice large red leaf for .59 at Sprouts. Romaine and Green Leaf were the same prices. Tomato was .99 a pound and I thought that was high for this time of year...dead of winter yea, but it's spring and warm here in Arizona.

Shredded Cheddar, 5 pounds for $11.xx

Avocados are .69 each for the small, .89 for the large. Strawberries are on sale for $1.25 a pound, but I'm waiting for it to go below .75 in June or July and then I'll buy 20 pounds and flash freeze them for smoothies all summer long.

Now...gas....sheesh, it goes up every time I've been at the pump....$3.59 was the last I recall, but I'm due for a tank tomorrow or Wednesday and I'm almost afraid to look. We go to Disneyland next month and I'm fairly sure California is going to be sitting at $4 a gallon. :scared1:

We have squash too : ) , only one kind of cucumber, eggplant, watermelon and I am waiting for the jalapeno and banana pepper plants to come in at the nursery . I have run out of room in the garden will put the peppers in pots. Also have black berry bushes, but they don't produce alot yet. I always go to a local park and pick my own, will be going to the local blueberry farm to pick my own too . Which reminds me, I need to check their schedule !

YUM!!!! Fresh blueberries are the BEST! I am considering planting some rasp and blackberry bushes, I'm just not sure it's something I want to plant because of the way they grow. We did have raspberries when I was growing up, they were so good!!! I want banana peppers as well but haven't seen any anywhere!! I'm hoping like crazy that they come in somewhere soon!! :) This is honestly my biggest garden ever, I usually only do some tomato plants and that's it.....

WOW! Where the heck do ya'll live???

Bacon has gone up, but it's still less than $3 a pound at Sam's Club. You have to buy it in 3 pound packages that are $8.57, but it's 3 WHOLE pounds, I've noticed at Walmart that the same looking package that used to be a pound is only 12 ounces and the price has gone up.

Lettuce...just bought a nice large red leaf for .59 at Sprouts. Romaine and Green Leaf were the same prices. Tomato was .99 a pound and I thought that was high for this time of year...dead of winter yea, but it's spring and warm here in Arizona.

Shredded Cheddar, 5 pounds for $11.xx

Avocados are .69 each for the small, .89 for the large. Strawberries are on sale for $1.25 a pound, but I'm waiting for it to go below .75 in June or July and then I'll buy 20 pounds and flash freeze them for smoothies all summer long.

Now...gas....sheesh, it goes up every time I've been at the pump....$3.59 was the last I recall, but I'm due for a tank tomorrow or Wednesday and I'm almost afraid to look. We go to Disneyland next month and I'm fairly sure California is going to be sitting at $4 a gallon. :scared1:

Avocado's are rarely under $1 each here, usually $1.25-2. So, we are also trying an avocado tree. :) We had a pit that we have sprouted, it's going to be replanted this week and hopefully it gives us some yummy avocados eventually. :) Until then I'll keep paying $1-2 each for them......
and gas...you are not going to like it when you get here, we are going to DL next week, gas near my house is currently $3.89 a gallon....I'm guessing it will be more in Anaheim......

We eat bacon twice a year. Once during vacation and once for BLTs. I guess I can afford it twice. It's pretty bad for you anyway. Let 'em keep it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter