Corporate Disney has lost the vision

One of the biggest knocks on Universal was that it was a 2 or at best a 3 day park. It will be interesting to see how much of the Florida market share they will gain when their 3rd gate is finished and this will come at the expense of WDW.

Disney might finally have to accept that there’s nothing tomorrow about Tomorrowland Speedway and do something about it!

Obviously, Disney decided that the cost of DME exceeded the benefits of attempting to keep people on property. So perhaps it wasn't working (people using Uber/Lyft to get off of property) or the parks and restaurants are full no matter what so why continue to pay for it.

Obviously, Disney decided that the cost of DME exceeded the benefits of attempting to keep people on property. So perhaps it wasn't working (people using Uber/Lyft to get off of property) or the parks and restaurants are full no matter what so why continue to pay for it.
I would love to see how WDW would respond if when Universal's 3rd gate opens they decide to offer shuttle services from MCO to their hotels.

For me it was dropping the luggage off at the airport ticket counter. From that point on, the work part of getting a vacation off the ground was done. Luggage, transportation, dining, FP, all of it was done. I could relax or run across the park as we zig zag to rides on the other side. It didn’t matter. I wasn’t flying, driving, lugging or planning. It was vacation until the return plane landed at my home airport.

EXACTLY! My husband used to say that his vacation started when he turned off the car at airport parking and ended when he got off ME at MCO. Oh, the good old days.

It didn't cost Disney anything to provide this service. They just passed the expense on to people staying in the hotels. Now that they stopped this service do you think they will lower the cost of the rooms?

It didn't cost Disney anything to provide this service. They just passed the expense on to people staying in the hotels. Now that they stopped this service do you think they will lower the cost of the rooms?
By that same logic, it doesn't cost Disney anything to have employees. People can vent on here all they want (and much of it is warranted), but DME is not coming back under the current regime.

I'm not defending them. They've decided that people are still going to come to the resorts. We keep lamenting the changes, yet Disney still fills up the resorts and parks. Get ready for a significant bump in AP prices next. Disney will change when they either get a new executive team or when economics forces the current team to make changes. Right now they keep making changes detrimental to the guests, and the guests keep coming. Expect more of the same.

By that same logic, it doesn't cost Disney anything to have employees. People can vent on here all they want (and much of it is warranted), but DME is not coming back under the current regime.

I'm not defending them. They've decided that people are still going to come to the resorts. We keep lamenting the changes, yet Disney still fills up the resorts and parks. Get ready for a significant bump in AP prices next. Disney will change when they either get a new executive team or when economics forces the current team to make changes. Right now they keep making changes detrimental to the guests, and the guests keep coming. Expect more of the same.

Its a balancing act for sure. I personally think they took too much, too fast and are floating off pent up demand, pent up points and a 50th anniversary “celebration”. In a year I think they will have to come up with something to boost crowds. I may be way wrong with that. Disney does a ton of research so maybe they know something.

Because we operate 7-11 months out here, I’m already considering whether renewing our APs in the spring will be worth it or if it’s time to do something different next summer…

Disney is a publicly traded company, so ultimately it comes down to maximizing shareholder value.
As a bond trader who has made all his money as a wall street guy, capitalism is ruining this country. It's gotten to the point where every corporation has become Spirit airlines in the race to get the exec suite their bonuses. Disney was known for giving people their monies worth...why is that not an acceptable philosophy anymore?!?! An innovative and original management can empty wallets AND leave us feeling satisfied. Today's management only cares about doing one of those. Chapek and company are changing an 80 year culture...and when his errors are realized...he'll have a few $30mln bonuses in his checking account...he won't care.

I am all for the American capital principle of "if you work hard you are rewarded". But that is not the US capitalism system today.

Last edited:
Not at the expense od driving the company into the ground.
Don’t worry, the execs have parachutes, so they will bail out as they abandon the shareholders … who agreed to pay the execs enough that they can easily sue Disney if they get terminated, so even if there are “clawback clauses” it will be cheaper to offer a nice settlement.

I would love to see how WDW would respond if when Universal's 3rd gate opens they decide to offer shuttle services from MCO to their hotels.

Competition is good. I would be interested to see if there is a chance that when the 3rd gate is built if UO decides to put up a timeshare or something next to the park. I don’t know what is in the contract they have with Loews if that would even be allowed.

Three gates plus a great water park could make it a week long stay for families which would make a TS pretty appealing if it had similar benefits to the existing premiere resorts.

I agree 100%. I went from pricing dvc contracts to looking at Universal AP prices. I don't see myself being a Disney annual pass holder for much longer. I don't like all the micro transactions and it feels like they lost sight of their audience. Its depressing because all the excitement about the 50th anniversary has been taken away by all the recent changes. Hopefully enough people will choose an alternative vacation spot and drive down attendance enough for Disney to notice.

I agree 100%. I went from pricing dvc contracts to looking at Universal AP prices. I don't see myself being a Disney annual pass holder for much longer. I don't like all the micro transactions and it feels like they lost sight of their audience. Its depressing because all the excitement about the 50th anniversary has been taken away by all the recent changes. Hopefully enough people will choose an alternative vacation spot and drive down attendance enough for Disney to notice.

I did purchase UO annual pass and feel good about that, pretty excited actually. We bought 1 Disney park day for our 7 night stay at Jambo next week and 1 Disney park day for our February trip which is also 7 nights. Traditionally we would be almost all Disney parks.

There has been a shift occurring among our family that Disney’s parks are now the add on to more UO park time. I hope Disney hasn’t miscalculated what people actually want from a vacation. Speaking for us, we want it to be easy and spend time together without looking at devices.

Our situation looks like this…

No DME- not easy for the size of our family and extended family without this service. Yes I know Mears, not as magical. **Add on cost of xxx***

G+ could be great and hope it is - waking up at 7am every day is not ideal. Looking at my phone all day is no bueno. ** Add on cost of xxx**

If Disney wants a tier/class system then so be it but geez make it easy for those willing to pay for a first class experience. All these add on costs just feel like cheap carnival.

I did purchase UO annual pass and feel good about that, pretty excited actually. We bought 1 Disney park day for our 7 night stay at Jambo next week and 1 Disney park day for our February trip which is also 7 nights. Traditionally we would be almost all Disney parks.

There has been a shift occurring among our family that Disney’s parks are now the add on to more UO park time. I hope Disney hasn’t miscalculated what people actually want from a vacation. Speaking for us, we want it to be easy and spend time together without looking at devices.

No DME- not easy for the size of our family and extended family without this service. Yes I know Mears, not as magical. **Add on cost of xxx***

G+ could be great and hope it is - waking up at 7am every day is not ideal. Looking at my phone all day is no bueno. ** Add on cost of xxx**

If Disney wants a tier/class system then so be it but geez make it easy for those willing to pay for a first class experience. All these add on costs just feel like cheap carnival.
Disney reminds me if a hamburger place at a new jersey shore from the 1980's. It was called burger 25. Hamburgers were 25 cents each ( patties were really thin like white castle). If you were never there before and you ordered a hamburger they would ask if you wanted ketchup mustard mayo oinions pickles lettuce tomatoes and cheese . Whatever you said yes to added was 10 cents each except the cheese which was 25 cents extra. By the time you were done it was over a dollar and you didn't find this out until you had to pay because the prices for the extras was in really small print on the menu board.

I have been comparing it to Spirit airlines but I think carnival works better lol. All the excessive add on cost despite premium pricing ruins the value and experience for me. Never thought I would say this but I hope Disney learns from UO because they provide better perks for hotel guest and annual pass holders.

You got me thinking!

Starting next year I will likely rent a car for each visit since there will be no ME.

If Disney's annual passes are too much I will buy UO Preferred annual pass (includes free parking). We will stay at our DVC and visit UO when we want a park day.

You got me thinking!

Starting next year I will likely rent a car for each visit since there will be no ME.

If Disney's annual passes are too much I will buy UO Preferred annual pass (includes free parking). We will stay at our DVC and visit UO when we want a park day.

This is exactly what we will be doing in the future! We used to purchase UO passes about 20 years ago, but then ME express was implemented and we started staying at WDW only. Big mistake getting rid of ME, as we will now have a car and will start staying at WDW only to sleep.

facebook twitter