Cooler Questions

When we took our first cruise last Nov. I had read on these boards all about being able to bring liquor on board and we had a few small bottles of various drinks that i had put in my onboard carrier. Imagine my surprise when I saw a big sign near the security checkpoint that stated NO LIQUOR to be brought onboard...I was very nervous but did not say anything and the security officers did not say anything to me either...I was kinda scared for a minute but I trusted my friends on this board not to steer me wrong....i was just wondering if others have also seen this sign... :crazy:

Don't get me wrong....I'm not a big drinker! In fact, my drink of choice is either a Strawberry Daquiri or a Baci Ball (Amaretto & orange juice). I'm thinking of taking a small bottle of Tequila Rose with us, which is a delicious strawberry creme liqueur with tequila added to it.....Very nice.

The reason why I am asking:
We are going in a very large group. None of us are what would be considered big drinkers, but we are on vacation and the men like to drink some beer. They're also at the age now where too many beers and they will fall asleep :rotfl: Since we're spending thousands on this vacation, they're not going to get blasted so they won't be able to enjoy themselves :dancer:

But while talking with other people who have cruised, not on DCL, but other cruise lines, the one thing that comes up is the fact that people, all different types of people, tell of how they insist on bringing their own drinks of choice to cut down on spending....I've even heard from many different people how they bring a few cases of their favorite beer!

That is what prompted this question. Me and my husband have spoken of this and we've spoken with our fellow cruisers and we're just not sure what to do. :confused3
So I stuck my neck out looking like an alcoholic just to see what would be said. I've never cruised before and neither have our friends, so I was curious.
If I can cut down on the bar tab so I can have more spending money for soveniers, then I'm all for it :p

As for coolers at the pool on the ship.... we bring a cooler to the beach, we bring a cooler to visit our friends who camp, we bring a cooler to parties, etc. If these people are bringing cases and cases of beer, then where are they going to be cooling off this beer? In a cooler. And just where is all this drinking taking place with these cases and cases of beer? I don't know, that's why I asked the question of bringing it into the clubs.

Like I said before, I've never cruised and there are so many knowledgeable people on these boards and I figured I'd ask.....
As for me and my crew, will we be bringing coolers?
To be continued......... :Pinkbounc

So if we are arriving in Orlando one day early, and staying at the airport Hyatt, it doesn't make sense to bring a cooler because we'd be filling it with soda and bloody mary mix purchased at the airport...no money savings there!!

Right???

(1st time cruisers, N&C)

Corryn.....I am one of those "walk around the ship with a cold one in hand all day". I bring 2 cases of my miller lite on board and put 12-16 in the stateroom cooler witha bag of ice.....I have a collapsable cooler that holds around 8 cans that folds nicely into my suitcase and I can bring up to deck 10 or 4 while lounging around. As a matter of fact on our 11/04 Westernsailing on of our fellow disers brought his cooler to the elevator deck 9 foreward and we helped him "finish it off" around midnight....
Don't worry there are many other cruisers "looking like alcoholics". It's just a matter of when and where. Diversions, for example everyone is allowed in there until I believe 8 or 9 p.m. Then no one under 18. There is an adult only pool. I wouldn't reccomend getting "sloppy drunk" by the mickey pool....

I always purchaced some absolute vodka and local rum and took on board, but I believe one stop on the Western won't allow it....I think it was GC and not Cozumel.

LAMPSKIES said:
Corryn.....I am one of those "walk around the ship with a cold one in hand all day". I bring 2 cases of my miller lite on board and put 12-16 in the stateroom cooler witha bag of ice.....I have a collapsable cooler that holds around 8 cans that folds nicely into my suitcase and I can bring up to deck 10 or 4 while lounging around. As a matter of fact on our 11/04 Westernsailing on of our fellow disers brought his cooler to the elevator deck 9 foreward and we helped him "finish it off" around midnight....

Okay, LampSkies, you are the DIS'er I was waiting to hear from :dancer:

I'm telling you, I DID hear from many different people this same thing and I just wanted to see if the same thing was happening with the DCL.
We're all getting together this weekend to discuss last minute things before we cruise & this will be one of the topics.

If we can save money and the guys can still drink their beer (XXX is the guys' new favorite) then I'm all for it.
We've got the money to purchase the extras, but if I can save some money on a stinkin' bar tab and spend it on something I would like ;) then why not? I'm not going on this trip to impress anyone anyway, but please don't call me trashy or tacky
princess:

Corryn, hop into our Thukey day 05 Western sailing thread. There are about 30 of us that sailed last year and rebooked.....if you have ANY bad thoughts about being "trashy or tacky" talk to Willie or Doogie :rotfl2: Or maybe you should just sail with us.....sounds like you'll fit right in :rotfl2:
I also purchased a 22oz. mug for 9.95, with that you get refills for 3.25+tip. It was great for sitting at Diversions watching football.

I have seen this topic discussed on a thread recently. Something to consider...someone did comment that you want to make sure your rolling cooler would fit through the x-ray machine when you board. We bought one of those really CUTE! (thanks again, mmouse37) Mickey coolers from disneydirect.com. I was seriously thinking I might bring some of the fruit flavored waters with me the next time. I never saw those on the cruise and am very addicted to them! Have fun!

I don't think that its tacky to bring your cooler with you- others that see it will probably wish they thought of the same thing- :rolleyes: when we stayed at the Hard Rock in orlando we would bring our soft sided rolling cooler to the pool with us and enjoy our drinks (no glass) i would pour beer,wine or pop from the bottle or can into some plastic cups that i brought along with me- and i was a happy camper :teeth:

dont worry about what others think- do what you feel is correct...as long as its not harming anyone else ....whats the big deal??:snooty:

by the way i'm bringing my cooler with me on our cruise- i love convenience and saving a buck or two :dancer:

Lampskies....

I still have the beer mug my husband bought last Nov. which is tall and says ESPN on it...I thought I might bring it on board with me this next cruise if they are using the same mug....i thought i would check these boards and ask closer to cruise time...have you ever reused yours?

We brought a case of beer, 6 girlie type coolers for me and a case of water, which we carried on. I wish we had been organized enough to check the water. HEAVY!
Bought 3 smallish bottles of rum in Nassau and used to that spike our soda at the pools. Good thing our children don't drink soda yet. I have a messenger bag that doubled as a diaper/extra clothing bag. We would put 2-3 water bottles, a few beer and a bottle of rum in there and it just stayed by our side. I don't recall anyone with coolers and personally would have found it cumbersome. The decks get kinda crowded on sea days. But the bag slid under our deck chairs. And we went to the rooms often enough to re-fill if needed.
We did the same thing on our honeymoon cruise. I'm with the OP, if I can save the money off the bar bill it's worth it.
We did the wine package though, it worked out better and it was nice to have wine each night.

Just wanted to add that Costco is selling the soft-sided collapsible coolers with wheels right now. There is a coupon that they hand out at the door for $5 off. They are $19.99 after the coupon. The coupon started yesterday. I think it's only good for the week.

jeannief said:
We did the wine package though, it worked out better and it was nice to have wine each night.

Can you tell me more about this? We will be cruising in September and this may be helpful. Annmarie

My question is, if you have to carry on your drinks but you can't get into your room for a couple of hours, what do you do with it in the meantime??

I have to have my Caffeine Free Coke!! :sunny:

FletchFab5 said:
My question is, if you have to carry on your drinks but you can't get into your room for a couple of hours, what do you do with it in the meantime??

I have to have my Caffeine Free Coke!! :sunny:

You have to lug all your carryons with you until the room is ready. DCL used to let you drop off your carryons but they have become much stricter now and actually rope off access to the staterooms before they are ready.

I would suggest having lunch and then planting yourself in one of the lounge chairs on Deck 4 in the shade until your room is ready or up on Deck 9 near one of the pools!!!

Some people have reported that they brought their suitcase that was filled with beer/soda/water, etc. and/or just the case of beer/soda/water to where the porters are and slapped a luggage tag with their cabin number and it was delivered...you can try that!!

Though the wait time is not that long...typically you board around noon and the room are ready by 1:30 ish.

MJ

Good to know that you can pack a case of water in a suitcase and put it with the other luggage. We have been doing this for years when going to WDW.

Corryn when are you cruisin'???

Looks like a big group you are going to be with....that would be alot of fun to cruise with 60 people you already know.

Hey can anyone tell me what is a good quick mix to bring?? We're no way BIG drinkers but this being our third cruise first DCL when we're out there on the ship you'd think we were. :rotfl2: Just wanting to bring something that will mix quick and tastes fruity. My DH is not a big beer fan so....he's into more of the fruit drinks. Can anyone help me? :banana:
We're sailing on Sept 17th so any advise is appreciated :wave2:

First of all I think it is so wrong for people to judge other people by saying they are tacky or alcoholics!! There are probably alot of people wondering the same thing concerning the coolers!!! I know was! You go Corryn! Come on our cruise! So in other words if I wanted to just wait and by alcohol in Key West I could? And then just bring it back on the ship with me? ( sorry first time cruiser) We have a collapseable cooler but dont think I ant to fill it and carry on ship...would like to buy some beer and or rum in Key West and jusy bring it on ship. So am I correct in understanding that i can do this!? Thanks for your help everyone!! :wave2:

Just bought our cooler at Sams for our August 20th cruise. Taking beer and Pepsi products. I don't think I can go 2 weeks without a Pepsi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter