Cool Whip or Frozen Whipped Topping

tinytink

DIS Veteran
You are all great at this type of thing so can I use fresh homemade whipped cream in recipes that call for Cool Whip or Whipped Topping?

It depends on what you're making. I find that Cool Whip holds its shape better than homemade whipped cream (probably all of those nasty ingredients I can't pronounce....).

It depends on the recipe. Cool Whip will not "collapse" like real whipped cream does.

I don't think you can freeze real whip cream either, so if your desert needs to be frozen I don't think it will work.

I would be very, very careful.

Frozen whipped topping has stablizers and all sorts of chemicals you can't pronounce that make it hold its shape and stay fluffy.

Freshly whipped cream will not hold a shape for very long and will liquify with too much stirring, so it's hard to fold into pie fillings and the like.

You could try adding powdered stabilizer, or even a small amount of lemon juice to your cream before you whip it, but it still won't rival whipped topping for durability.

Plus, from a budget perspective, whipped topping is often much cheaper than a comparable amount of heavy whipping cream.

Thanks for all the input, I was thinking of making this chocolate eclaire from the Kraft Magazine Easy PB and Chocolate Eclairs but it calls for whipped topping and pb.

Prep Time:
30 minTotal Time:
8 hr 30 minMakes:
24 servings, one piece each1-3/4 cups cold milk 1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter 1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed 24 HONEY MAID Honey Grahams 6 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate 3 Tbsp. butter POUR milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with wire whisk 2 min. or until well blended. Add peanut butter; mix well. Gently stir in whipped topping. Layer one-third of the grahams and half of the pudding mixture in 13x9-inch dish, breaking grahams as necessary to fit. Repeat layers. Top with remaining grahams.

MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min., stirring after 1 min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is well blended. Spread over grahams.

REFRIGERATE at least 8 hours. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

or this one w/o the pb

Prep Time:
15 minTotal Time:
3 hr 15 minMakes:
9 servings, one square each15 HONEY MAID Honey Grahams, broken in half (30 squares), divided 1-1/2 cups milk 1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding 1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed 1 cup chocolate ready-to-spread frosting ARRANGE 10 of the graham squares, slightly overlapping, on bottom of 8-inch square pan; set aside. Beat milk and dry pudding mix with whisk 2 min. Let stand 5 min. Stir in whipped topping.

SPREAD half of the pudding mixture over graham squares in pan; top with 10 of the remaining graham squares and remaining pudding mixture. Cover with remaining graham squares.

REFRIGERATE at least 3 hours. Spread with frosting just before serving.

Can't hurt to try!

Or you could even not mix the pudding and whipped cream together, and just layer it.

If you're going to mix it in, use the "folding" technique, rather than just stirring/mixing it in. Be gentle with the whipped cream!

And for the record, real whipped cream freezes in an incredible fashion. My mom used to make a hot fudge sundae pie, where you take a crushed chocolate wafer crust, then layered ice cream with homemade hot fudge sauce, freeze it, another layer, feeze it, another layer, freeze it...then top with scads of whipped cream and freeze that, and it's INCREDIBLE. I love things like that. :)

Good for you for trying to make it healthier with real foods! Next step? Making the pudding from scratch! (hardly more work than cooked (not instant) pudding, FYI)

(says Molly who started making Paula Deen's "is it really better than s-e-x" cake as the recipe states, with boxed mix and boxed pudding, and is now making it with from-scratch yellow cake, from-scratch pudding, and organic heavy cream whipped, and nearly gets marriage proposals (I used to just get compliments on the original version) from all of hubby's co-workers who try it. :goodvibes)

I just hate the taste of Cool Whip or frozed whipped toppings, I love the real stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter