Contemporary Resort Rumor Confirmed

flechette said:
Time Warner Residential RR did charge $10 a month for each addt'l computer registered tho I had heard they gave up on that. Having worked hotel AP (accounts payable) I've paid bills for internet use tho they've only show X number of IPs assigned which I then matched to the charges posted to the rooms to make sure we charged the same number we're paying for- and no the numbers never matched -
The extra monthly charge was for additional "real" IP addresses. Those are basically obsolete now as cable routers are so ridiculously cheap. (For several years, I used a unix (FreeBSD) system to do the same thing, now a $10-after-rebate box does it plus wireless!)

The cable router uses a single IP address but uses something called "NAT" to make all your other systems think that they're directly connected to the internet, when they're not. I would assume that Disney wireless uses the same thing. So, there's no additional cost for the IP addresses.

Bandwidth for corporate use vs bandwidth for all of Disney property free of charge? Free internet use for an area the size of Manhatten? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I really do believe that costs them something - tho less than what they are charging.
They're not putting in internet all over the property, just in the hotels. And once the infrastructure is there, there's little additional cost - some wireless access points and the ethernet is already run to the hotel, and that stuff is generally pretty reliable so there's not many support costs. The primary day-to-day cost is the bandwidth itself, which is probably not a huge amount as currently not many people use it and those who do aren't likely to be doing large downloads. Making it free will certainly increase the amount of bandwidth used but probably not to an enormous degree.

As for a CRV, I'm not sure if I'd do an add-on but I'd love to stay there - I was born a month before WDW opened and in my mind, the Contemporary is an important icon of WDW. Sure, it may be aged inside, but hey - it's the Contemporary! Still, I've only stayed there once, in the late '70s, so any recent experience has just been from gliding through on the monorail - but MK is my favorite park and I'd love to be on a monorail resort.

Before OKW was sold out - BWV, VB and HH were all built and being sold.....

most of the sale guides would like more to offer than just SSR....

it might work great for them.

more people came to see BW - because it was someone you could see.... right there along the BW...

but several of these people did not like BW - so they took them over to OKW and they loved it....

just depends upon what the new people like,.... some will love Cont - others will love SSR.... so I would think that Cont rooms will be smaller, and not as upscale as SSR... but who knows - they could even be more upscale (like the rest of the resort)....

but the 15 floor building - no - Disney doesn't do that - it probably will be the same height the wing is now... and for that other wing - the rumor about the tennis court....

I can't believe that after the Cont, who spend a fortune on the South wing,(and still are) that they would give them to DVC....unless of course, they found something that couldn't get fixed - so they might as well tear them down and start again. they did take a long time to fix????

Internet - hey I am so out of that - I have a computer at home but so far I haven't even brought a laptop.....I can't see them being worth it for me - I would only put my pictures on it and new disck for my camera are in the $30 and I can reuse them.....

so why buy?

greenban said:
You have a great idea!

Howabout the DVC-III, super exclusive, very small resorts.

The Villas at the Haunted Mansion. The towers at the Tower of Terror, Spaceship Earth Podules...... Ooooooohhhhhh..

-Tony
Well I want CASTLE points. Of course, my home resort will be Cinderella's place, but I want to use my castle points at the castles in DL, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong, too!

Best wishes -

CarolMN said:
Well I want CASTLE points. Of course, my home resort will be Cinderella's place, but I want to use my castle points at the castles in DL, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong, too!

Best wishes -
Now that's something I WOULD :thumbsup2 be interested in :teeth:

I like the monorail as much as the next person, but I don't think that I would want to pay the point per night charges for the privilege. I expect they will be higher than for other DVC's for similar accomodations. If they are similar to the BWV Std. view rate I will consider it. :teeth:

Nuts! you mean there aren't going to be free lagoon view rooms available. I was wondering why the CM was smiling.

Groucho said:
They're not putting in internet all over the property, just in the hotels. And once the infrastructure is there, there's little additional cost - some wireless access points and the ethernet is already run to the hotel, and that stuff is generally pretty reliable so there's not many support costs. The primary day-to-day cost is the bandwidth itself, which is probably not a huge amount as currently not many people use it and those who do aren't likely to be doing large downloads. Making it free will certainly increase the amount of bandwidth used but probably not to an enormous degree.

I doubt that they are using Disney's network because then Disney would have to harden the security on all of their internal systems to avoid someone hacking from the inside. Security issue and the need to be able to accurately track the costs is likely why Disney has hired an outside company to provide the service. From experience at work the bandwidth requirements are probably a lot higher than you might think.

The real issue with making it free is how to split the costs between DVC members and Disney. Might be straight forward at OKW and SSR but what about the others that are attached to a non-DVC resort? With wireless it is hard to decide what room people are in to decide if it is a Disney or members cost.

Also I don't think both wings will be DVC. I swear I read reports about people staying in the newly refurbed South wing.

cobbler said:
Also I don't think both wings will be DVC. I swear I read reports about people staying in the newly refurbed South wing.

The South Wing is being rehabbed with the new design and is half finished and the rest will be finished by summer of this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter