Contemporary Rehab Dates & Closures

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
It's being reported that a quick service restaurant/counter will open either next to or in place of the Outer Rim Lounge on the 4th floor Grand Canyon Concourse on 7/30/07. This quick service location is scheduled to operate through 8/14/08! The food and fun center on the 1st floor will be closing on 7/29/07.

The projected completion date for the The Wave (new restaurant on the 1st floor) is March or April 2008. The Concourse Steakhouse will be closed at this time to make way for expansion of Chef Mickey's and the installation of Chef Mickey's Express. The projected completion date for this project is mid-August 2008.

DW and I are very upset about the closing of the Concourse Steakhouse. It was the very first restaurant we ate at on our very first trip to WDW in 1988.
We eat there every time we go to WDW, and we have made well over 300 trips. I guess we are just old fashioned and like the "old" things. :guilty:
I didn't think there was really enough room for a fast food place in the space that the Outer Rim occupies.:confused3

I'm sorry, can you clarify for me??

Is the concourse steakhouse closing 7/30/07??
I'll obviously need to change our ADR.....
THANKS!

I'm sorry, can you clarify for me??

Is the concourse steakhouse closing 7/30/07??
I'll obviously need to change our ADR.....
THANKS!

The Concourse Steakhouse will close in either March or April 2008, depending on when construction of The Wave is completed.

WDW has released the following info to castmembers and travel agents. I'm not sure where the renovated Fantasia Shop is going. I thought that the new arcade had taken its place. Wonder if the re-routing of "guests paths" is related to the construction of the DVC Tower?

August 2007 - Newly renovated Fantasia Shop will re-open.

June 11, 2007 through November 2007 - The Lobby will undergo partitioned refurbishments to update the area's image and decor.

July 2007 through October 2007 - The resort's grounds will undergo partitioned refurbishments to install new landscaping and re-route existing guests paths.

July 30, 2007 through April 2008 - The Food & Fun Center will be closed for major renovations. The location will re-open as a new table service option, "The Wave". During this time a temporary counter service location will be operating on the Grand Concourse level near the Outer Rim Lounge.

April 2008 through August 14, 2008 -The Concourse Steak house will be closed for major renovations. The location will re-open as the new Counter Service location for the resort. During this time a temporary counter service location will be operating on the Grand Concourse level near the Outer Rim Lounge.

crazy4wdw said:
August 2007 - Newly renovated Fantasia Shop will re-open.

June 11, 2007 through November 2007 - The Lobby will undergo partitioned refurbishments to update the area's image and decor.

July 2007 through October 2007 - The resort's grounds will undergo partitioned refurbishments to install new landscaping and re-route existing guests paths.

July 30, 2007 through April 2008 - The Food & Fun Center will be closed for major renovations. The location will re-open as a new table service option, "The Wave". During this time a temporary counter service location will be operating on the Grand Concourse level near the Outer Rim Lounge.

April 2008 through August 14, 2008 -The Concourse Steak house will be closed for major renovations. The location will re-open as the new Counter Service location for the resort. During this time a temporary counter service location will be operating on the Grand Concourse level near the Outer Rim Lounge.
When my family and I are there this August it will be intresting to see how the lobby renovation is going and how the temporary location of the Food & Fun Center will be. For example if they would still be using the mugs, because when the Polynesian renovated Captin Cook's they did not sell them. Assuming the internet is will still free, I can post updates of how everything looks.

I really feel sorry for anyone who has ressies at the CR during this summer. Can you imagine, the lobby, grounds, and grand canyon concourse all being rehabbed simultaneously? I think I would change my resort choice. I hope Disney will notify guests with reservations of all of the impending changes.

All of these rehabs during the busy summer months make no sense at all. Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth and now the CR Tower!

I really feel sorrry for anyone who has ressies at the CR during this summer. Can you imagine, the lobby, grounds, and grand canyon concourse all being rehabbed simultaneously? I think I would rethink my resort choice.

All of these rehabs during the busy summer months make no sense at all. Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth and now the CR Tower!
I was at the Contemporary in December 2005 when the Atrium Club was temporarily on the 10th floor, while other floors in the Tower were being renovated. Plus this does not bother us that much because we have stayed at a Marriot in Clearwater Beach/Sand Key in the past when they were going threw a major renovation so this is nothing new for us. I also don't see how it will be that bad on the grand canynon concourse level. :confused3 They are busy every night with guests going to Chef Mickey's and the Concourse Steakhouse, plus nothing will be closed where you can see renovation until the Concourse Steakhouse closes, so when it does close it will be a different story. Finally maybe this will mean the Contemporary will be less crowded if others choose to cancel their renovations if they are able to get all this information. As for the lobby my family and I hardly spend anytime there, plus with the Atrium Club we check-in on the 12th floor, so once again I say we don't mind this that much.

I really feel sorry for anyone who has ressies at the CR during this summer. Can you imagine, the lobby, grounds, and grand canyon concourse all being rehabbed simultaneously? I think I would change my resort choice. I hope Disney will notify guests with reservations of all of the impending changes.

Good points, including the HM and SE rehabs.

We will actually be at the CR in June for 4 nights before switching over to the BWV. Looks like we will have the partitioned refurbishments in the lobby to deal with. I have to admit I'm not happy about that, but if they really are very small sections at any given time, it's not too big a deal.

Couldn't you say that the renovations with the new DVC rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge are just as bad to what the Contemporary will go threw? Yes I know on paper the Contemporary will be doing a lot more renovations, however everyone knew the Contemporary was going to get a major renovation once they started to renovate the rooms. So it was just a matter of time when the other renovation schedule would start to happen. With the Animal Kingdom Lodge I think they took out a whole floor of Concierge rooms and other rooms, where as the Contemporary will just be taking out the Food & Fun Center and eventually the Concourse Steakhouse. However this time no guest rooms will be effected, unless you count the demolition of the North Garden Wing. Although with all the DVC rumours over the past 2 years, everyone knew that some part of the Contemporary would be affected where rooms would have to go, so when Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas was announced no one was expecting that. I guess my point is the loss of a restaurant and a counter service location might hurt in the short time, however what the Animal Kingdom Lodge is going threw could be just as bad if not worse.

I will put up with ANYTHING that will bring a Contemporary DVC closer to reality:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter