Consumption Pricing versus Open Bar Pricing

Discussion in 'Disney Weddings and Honeymoons' started by jerseygal, Jul 20, 2018.

1. jerseygal

jerseygal DIS Veteran

Our DS wedding venue(a month away, yay!!!):lovestruc :Pinkbouncgives the option of open bar OR consumption pricing.
    We are hosting a 2 hour Welcome Gathering the night before the wedding and the venue does not give us the option of open bar, just consumption.
    My gut feeling is that there is absolutely no control over consumption pricing. You are putting full faith in the venue, who really knows how many glasses are served over a two hour period in our case,:eek: a two hour event, or if our DS and future DIL decide to go with consumption pricing for their 5 hour event. Maybe we'll need a home equity loan just to pay for the liquor, LOL!:laughing:
    Would very much appreciate any guidance on consumption pricing as we are now "stuck" with this for our 2 hour event.THANKS in advance!!!:goodvibes:wave2:

2. jaggies

jaggies Earning My Ears

By “DS wedding venue” do you mean “Dear Son’s” or “Disney Springs”? :D

With Disney’s calculus at their own events, the vast majority of people who choose a bill-on-consumption bar end up getting a refund and paying less than they would with an “unlimited” package bar. It might be different if your event is at Disney Springs, though – I don’t know what their calculation for package bar pricing would be based on, but it’s usually quite a lot of drinks.

In any case, I think it’s doubtful that you would end up paying less with a package bar even if it was an option. Since it’s not an option, don’t agonize over it! Just try to enjoy the day and know that bill-on-consumption, while scary-sounding, is the way to go at most venues anyway. If you’re concerned about cutting costs, you might be able talk to your venue about using a less premium level of liquor service.

lurkyloo and jerseygal like this.
  3. jerseygal

jerseygal DIS Veteran

Thanks for your response.:goodvibes DS means son. Yes, we have worked with the venue and will be offering more of a "limited" menu. We were able to choose 3 different type of wines, 5 choices of beer, and 6 mixed drink. Very excited for our "kickoff event", Welcome Gathering, the night before the wedding since it is a destination weekend wedding!:cheer2::dance3: