Considering first trip to Universal. Starting to research...

Klayfish

DIS Veteran
Kids and I have been to WDW many, many times. However, we've never been to Universal. I was starting to plan a trip to WDW in September, but the costs are higher than I really want to spend right now. Universal seems a bit less expensive and it would be a new place to visit. I know next to nothing about it. I'm going to do research, but hopefully people with experience can chime in.

First, we're staying offsite. What's parking like? Easy to get to the parks from the parking lots?

Are you allowed to bring food in, like you can at WDW?

How long are the lines typically? Like I mentioned, we'd be going in mid-September.

If we've never been there and want to explore all 3 parks, how many days should we allow? In other words, is there nearly as much to see/do as there is at WDW?

Any other advice for an absolute newbie would be welcome! I'm not into Harry Potter at all...or Marvel for that matter...but I'd definitely be excited to just see it and experience it.

Not particularly, no. They feel the same way I do...even though they aren't "fans" of Harry Potter, they'd love to see it and experience it. I guess it's almost like Avatar in WDW. I've only seen part of the movie and wasn't into it, but I think the stuff at WDW is awesome! I've heard the Harry Potter things in Universal are amazing, so I'd love to see it.

Oh, I also wanted to figure out how their version of FP+ works, or any other tips/tricks to help avoid standing in lines (besides rope drop).

Step one- I know this is a Disney centric website but let's put aside the Disney comparisons. Do you ever go to any non-Disney parks? Local park, Six Flags...? Add those to your mix so it isn't just a compare and contrast on Disney vs Universal. :) Disney die hards tend to do best when they get excited just about experiencing something new- which it sounds like you are open to.

Step two- I know you say you are staying offsite but a lot of people find a multi day trip to be cheaper if they stay onsite, especially if they had plans to buy Express Passes (which are really expensive bought individually but are included in your hotel rate if you stay at Hard Rock, Portofino or Portofino). Throw in annual passes' discounts and there's a lot to absorb!

Parking- aim to be there about an hour before to get parked and walk to the parks. It's straightforward and easy though.

Yes on food. There are limits and restrictions on the website https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/hours-information/policies-restrictions

Lines certainly can be long. So hard to know. If you hate lines, you can buy Express Passes. Like Fast Passes but a million times better (except they aren't free).

4 days if you just want to hit the parks. 5 if you want a more balanced vacation- park, resort rest.

Watch some movies or read some books. Having some knowledge of the characters always helps. :)

My favorite planning resource https://orlandoinformer.com/

FP+ Universal uses an Express pass system. If you have it, it is much better then FP+. You can use on almost every ride ( Hagrid and Velicoaster are excluded. You do not have to schedule it ahead of time. There are 2 forms limited and unlimited. Limited you can do each ride once. There is a separate like the fast pass line. They move the EP line much faster than Disney which is great if you are in it and awful if you are in the standby line. Usually the EP wait is under 5 minutes.
The unlimited EP is free for guests at their 3 deluxe hotels (Hard Rock, Portofino and Royal Paciic). For others it ranges from under $100 to way over a $100 a day for each person. Depending how many in your family it can be quite expensive. Many find it cheaper to stay in one one of the deluxe hotels. Their onsite deluxe hotels are much more reasonably priced than Disney’s. Sometimes as low as $225/night. Some people say you don’t need it on quiet days, but I would not go without it. Just imagine having unlimited FP+ for almost every ride at Disney.
Parking. There are no trams. It can be a long hike if you are unlucky. If you’re lucky it’s still a hike. And The deluxe hotels have a boat to the parks which let you off a short walk from the park entrances. Or at Hard Rock and Royal it is a 10 - 15 minute walk.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yes, good point to put aside the WDW comparisons. We have been annual passholders at Six Flags, so we have other experiences to draw from. And sure, we are definitely excited about experiencing something new. We would very much look forward to it.

We are definitely staying offsite. We always have and it's just what works for us. We're a family of 5 and being in a hotel room just wouldn't be good. Not to mention myself and my daughter are pretty picky with food, so we like to bring our own...plus it saves a fortune. We also like having a "house" to come back to at the end of the day to spread out and relax.

My fiance will likely be coming off knee replacement surgery, so she'll be in a wheelchair. She'll be able to transfer to attractions, but just not walk long distances. I guess the parking thing will be a bit of a challenge, but we'll make it work.

Is there an app that monitors wait times, so I can start to get a handle on what a typical wait time is for an attraction?

Even though you are staying off-site, if you are considering buying EP then the much more cheaper option (especially for a family of 5) would be to book a throw-away room (one you book but don't physically stay in) at one of the deluxe resorts. It will give you the free express pass for everyone in your room, for 2 days (check-in day and check-out day). Let's say that even if the room was as high as $500 for one night (but likely lower in Sept.). That's works out as $50 per person, per day for unlimited express pass (as opposed to over $100 per person, per day). You would just need to show up to check-in at the hotel to get your room keys (which will act as your express pass) early on morning one and then you have those express passes for 2 straight days.

Many people do this as a cheaper way to get unlimited Express pass.

Even though you are staying off-site, if you are considering buying EP then the much more cheaper option (especially for a family of 5) would be to book a throw-away room (one you book but don't physically stay in) at one of the deluxe resorts. It will give you the free express pass for everyone in your room, for 2 days (check-in day and check-out day). Let's say that even if the room was as high as $500 for one night (but likely lower in Sept.). That's works out as $50 per person, per day for unlimited express pass (as opposed to over $100 per person, per day). You would just need to show up to check-in at the hotel to get your room keys (which will act as your express pass) early on morning one and then you have those express passes for 2 straight days.

Many people do this as a cheaper way to get unlimited Express pass.

Great idea, thanks!! I've done throw away rooms at WDW in the past to help with getting FP+. I will definitely look into it.

What are wait times generally like without EP? Is there any website/app where I can view real time waits?

Great idea, thanks!! I've done throw away rooms at WDW in the past to help with getting FP+. I will definitely look into it.

What are wait times generally like without EP? Is there any website/app where I can view real time waits?

It's tough to estimate what crowds will be like this September with parks still being in some for of "pandemic mode" (people may still be doing "revenge" travel, staffing levels may still be lower as they try to hire more people) so not sure what crowds will be like still.

But in pre-pandemic times, September has been quieter. Like mid-week September, the headliners regular lines could hit 30-45 min at peak mid-day times (and roughly 45-60 min on weekends). But really tough to guess yet at what it will be like this year.

Oh also one thing you should be aware of. Throughout Sept and Oct Universal has Halloween Horror Nights (which is a separate ticketed event) that runs in the evening which means the Universal Studios side closes early on those nights (5:00 pm I beleive). Islands of Adventure does not close early. So you probably want to pick dates (Monday's and Tuesday's) when they don't do the events so you have more time on the Studios side. Below is the calendar of when they have their Horror Nights (in red).

That's great info, thanks again!!! I definitely realize that predicting waits and/or crowds is near impossible...I've always been strongly against the WDW "crowd calendars". I just had zero clue what wait times are like at all. I'll definitely keep the Halloween Horror Nights in mind.

Oh, and also, what are the virtual queues like? I downloaded the app, but struggling to figure it out...probably because I don't have tickets. I know it's basically a return time to get on the attraction. Are the return times really far ahead? For example, if I got in the virtual queue at 11am, would my return time be 5pm?

I would add that Universal is completely different from disney. They have some more grown up rides, but there is Seussel land on IOA side which the kids love. I find Universal more relaxing and easier to navigate than disney. I have been to disney many times and have loved it too. But at Universal you can ride rides back to back if you want and just wander around until you find something you want to do. I guess I am trying to say that there is no rushing to ADR's or trying to get to certain attractions with a plan like the invasion of Grenada, LOL. It's so much fun to do what we want when we want while at Universal. We love their hotels, and stay at RP which is usually cheaper than other parks moderates. You also get free EP's which are great. It is smaller and close together too, so easier to get around from park to park. If you buy park to park tickets you can ride the Hogwarts train between theparks which is an attraction in itself. Even if you are not HP fans, I bet you will love the complete immersion in Hogwarts and Diagon Alley with their spooky knockturn alley. It is unbelievable how Universal captured the movies and books to a T. Whatever you decide I know you will have a fun, but different, experience. :)

Do the math on whether 1 AP will save you money via free parking / discounts. If you're parking several days, it'll likely be a worthwhile upgrade for 1 person to do the AP.

We do 1 preferred pass for free parking and the others seasonal APs. Works out great for us.

What's parking like? Easy to get to the parks from the parking lots?
We haven't parked there before but have been dropped off via rideshare, which enters at the same place. You'll go through the security checkpoint, then make your way down the moving walkway, down the escalator, and will have to walk through City Walk to get to either park's entrance. IMO, its a longer walk to the gates than it is for any WDW parks.

How long are the lines typically? Like I mentioned, we'd be going in mid-September.
IMO, its hard to stay this year. That falls during HHN which makes it a bit busier and shortens hours at Universal. There will be more people this year due to canceled/postponed trips last year, and since HHN was canceled last year. This is also HHN's 30th anniversary. I'd say wait times would be on par with what you'd experience at WDW this time of year - not exactly walk on, but not 2+ hours either.

If we've never been there and want to explore all 3 parks, how many days should we allow? In other words, is there nearly as much to see/do as there is at WDW?
There is not as much to see and do as there is at WDW. WDW has 4 parks - Universal only has 2. The third is a water park and can be done in a day. We like to dedicate a full day to each park (Universal and IOA) with a third day (or at least a half day) to re-ride our favorites in each park. So I would say 4 days is good if you're doing Volcano Bay as well.

Oh, I also wanted to figure out how their version of FP+ works, or any other tips/tricks to help avoid standing in lines (besides rope drop).
I also would recommend EPs, which is one of the best things about Universal. Unlimited EPs are superior to FP+. You literally enter the EP queue whenever you want as often as you want or your wait should be roughly 20 minutes or less. Usually less. This is a game changer for us as it allows us to casually arrive at the parks after sleeping in and tour the parks in any order we want since we don't have to strategize. We always stay on-site at a premier resort since it makes more financial sense with EPs included. Since you're staying off-site, it would still behoove you to look into the cost of the premier rooms and booking a one night "throwaway" room potentially. That gives you and everyone in your party (that's on the reservation) two full days of unlimited EPs for just the cost of the room, which is often cheaper than buying unlimited EPs for two days for each member of your party. People will book the room for this purpose and never set foot in it, or just use it for a mid-day break rather than going to their off-site accommodations.

We always stay on-site at a premier resort since it makes more financial sense with EPs included. Since you're staying off-site, it would still behoove you to look into the cost of the premier rooms and booking a one night "throwaway" room potentially. That gives you and everyone in your party (that's on the reservation) two full days of unlimited EPs for just the cost of the room, which is often cheaper than buying unlimited EPs for two days for each member of your party. People will book the room for this purpose and never set foot in it, or just use it for a mid-day break rather than going to their off-site accommodations.

If you have an AP that gives you a parking discount check out the AP rates for the hotel. Save you a bit there too. Might be worth the cost of one AP just to get those discounts and you get EP with the throwaway room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter