Confusion on yesterday's show

They released them last year in Mid-March.

I went in 2017 and 2018 (the second night last year). In 2017 I thought it was okay, and went last year and absolutely hated it. I normally love basically everything at WDW, but it was so packed I couldn't move at all.

One of the appeals of going to the party are shorter lines for attractions, and most everything had 45 minutes + lines. The snacks were tiny, and to get a good spot for the parade you needed to get a spot at least an hour in advance. I could go on, but basically it was just awful, with no redeeming value. I think the other complaint is that nothing has really changed for years.

I have only been to WDW between May and August, and it was the most crowded I have ever seen.

Sorry to be such a debbie downer but that was my experience (and it seems like the teams experience as well). I will not be going again this year.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

They released them last year in Mid-March.

I went in 2017 and 2018 (the second night last year). In 2017 I thought it was okay, and went last year and absolutely hated it. I normally love basically everything at WDW, but it was so packed I couldn't move at all.

One of the appeals of going to the party are shorter lines for attractions, and most everything had 45 minutes + lines. The snacks were tiny, and to get a good spot for the parade you needed to get a spot at least an hour in advance. I could go on, but basically it was just awful, with no redeeming value. I think the other complaint is that nothing has really changed for years.

I have only been to WDW between May and August, and it was the most crowded I have ever seen.

Sorry to be such a debbie downer but that was my experience (and it seems like the teams experience as well). I will not be going again this year.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

No worries, sometimes that's just the reality of things. I wonder if certain months or certain days of the week see less crowds, or if this party is always busy from day 1 to the end.... I'd be interested to go, however I'm getting mixed reviews. I guess I'll just have to go one day and see how it goes.

No worries, sometimes that's just the reality of things. I wonder if certain months or certain days of the week see less crowds, or if this party is always busy from day 1 to the end.... I'd be interested to go, however I'm getting mixed reviews. I guess I'll just have to go one day and see how it goes.

I've heard a little later in the season is better crowd wise. I'm sure its also better as the weather cools.

I personally think it's insanity to go to a Halloween party in August. Especially in Orlando when it'll be 90 degrees and miserably humid. What is the fun in that? It's nuts.

It's a fun event if you've never gone before. It's unique. Nice photo ops. It's crowded beyond belief.

How crowded the party is depends on the night you attend. We went last year and the only wait we had was for Peter Pan’s Flight (about 15 minutes). Everything else was virtual walk-on, even SDMT. We watched the parade and fireworks. We did not care about characters or the stage show. We were able to experience every attraction we wanted to (a few more than once)—including all headliners. But we chose to go at a time the parks weren’t as crowded and on a MNSSHP night that’s generally not as crowded. We had a blast!

Last year I went on the Labor Day party (9/4/18) and it was empty. The rides are all walk-ons. Only the Jack Skellington & 7 Dwarfs meet and greet had long lines. Moana had a long line early on but emptied out towards the end of the night.

Last year I went on 9/14 on a sold out night. I had an incredible time and although it definitely felt busier than previous MNSSHP experiences, if you have a plan going in and keep an eye on the DIS Boards MNSSHP strategies thread, you can do A LOT. If you try doing the trick or treat lines before 9pm, sitting on Main Street for the parades, meeting the most exclusive characters in the middle of the party, you will spend much of the night in long lines.

We went two years ago. We enjoyed it but admitted that we would only do it once in awhile. We went on a night where it was less money for Floridians.

Cons- The special snacks left it us underwhelmed. They had haunted mansion cakes that year and the cake was very dry. So we skipped the rest of the cakes and treats. I did have a cheescake pumpkin dome that was really good
The candy was scarce and not enough chocolate.
It was very crowded that night. There were long lines everywhere

Pros- The general atmosphere- Main street, the haunted mansion were spectacular. We really liked that they were playing old disney music all over the park. We heard Zorro, old Yeller and a couple others.
THE CMS were wonderful and were chatting with us and being very friendly.
Madame and the Butler in front of the mansion were so wonderful. Just enjoyed standing there watching their banter.
IT was fun watching all the guests come in costume. And were having fun watching them
The Sanderson sisters!!!

We said that there were more pro than cons.

My issue is that there are now so many of these parties, it cuts into your time in the parks if you only are using a "regular" ticket. With parties taking up so many evenings, it can be more difficult to plan your park days to catch evening events (e.g. fireworks).

My issue is that there are now so many of these parties, it cuts into your time in the parks if you only are using a "regular" ticket. With parties taking up so many evenings, it can be more difficult to plan your park days to catch evening events (e.g. fireworks).
Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. When you book either on-line or over the phone, would there be an alert that prompted you to know that you're booking during an event?? Bc if I was unaware of the party and planned on going to MK all day, but got asked to leave for an event I wasn't aware of, I'd be upset!

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. When you book either on-line or over the phone, would there be an alert that prompted you to know that you're booking during an event?? Bc if I was unaware of the party and planned on going to MK all day, but got asked to leave for an event I wasn't aware of, I'd be upset!
I don't believe there is any warning in advance. You have to know to look. From mid-August through Christmas there are roughly 60 days when MK closes early for either a Halloween or Christmas party which is large percentage of days. And of course park tickets are the same price regardless of operating hours.

We went to our first party last year. It was *so* crowded walking around, BUT we did find the ride lines moved along fairly quickly. As others have said, I think 7DMT was the longest. The parade - as a first-timer - was so good!!! It was probably the highlight of the evening. I was a bit disappointed that my boys were not interested in the least to have any character photos (which isn’t Disney’s fault ;)). However, it did make it easier to just focus on rides, with a little bit of trick-or-treating. The fireworks were pretty awesome, and despite the crowds, we found a spot in the Plaza to sit and watch.

We did the party the night before a cruise, so it was a quick Disney fix. But, after asking my family if they would go again, they all said probably not. I guess I would say this, it never hurts to try something once. And, I do think it made for a pretty good one-day (night) experience. But, I can’t see doing it every year and would not have done it if we were on our typical longer vacation.

So the dates are creeping earlier into the summer season? Yeah, thats slightly ridiculous. It's actually VERY ridiculous lol...I think it should just be an October thing, however, from a business stand point I could see how they'd want to take full advantage of the opportunity.

At DL, where they cater more to locals who attend multiple times a year, the Halloween parties still 't start in mid-to late-September (so far). And the DL parties sell out relatively quickly anymore.

But with WDW, which is more traveler/tourist focused, they keep extending into the Summer months to make it available for vacationing families with school-age children (and, yes, more parties, more tickets, more money).

At DL, where they cater more to locals who attend multiple times a year, the Halloween parties still 't start in mid-to late-September (so far). And the DL parties sell out relatively quickly anymore.

But with WDW, which is more traveler/tourist focused, they keep extending into the Summer months to make it available for vacationing families with school-age children (and, yes, more parties, more tickets, more money).
Not to be argumentative, but I think the M$NEY is MUCH more important to Di$ney these days than the philanthropy of letting more families attend. I could be wrong, but color me EXTREMELY cynical and jaded these days........

Last edited:
Not to be argumentative, but I think the M$$NEY is MUCH more important to D$isney these days than the philanthropy of letting more families attend. I could be wrong, but color me EXTREMELY cynical and jaded these days........
I agree completely. Disney isn't having more parties and stuffing more people into each one out of the goodness of their hearts.

I went in 2015 and it was cool. Love the parade and the decorations. I wouldn't go again I don't think. It's great to do once, and I can totally see why the DIS team rolls their eyes at it after so many years. The cost is way too high for repeat attendance in my point of view.

If I ever do a party again like that, it'll be the party only for the day and show up in the evening.

If I ever do a party again like that, it'll be the party only for the day and show up in the evening.

This is how we do it. I personally love the Halloween party, this year will be our third in a row. BUT I could never justify using a park day on the same day as the party. it works out much better for us to sleep in on party day, grab a brunch at one of the resorts, swim, and then head to the party at 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter