Confusion on yesterday's show

KellyHonos

DisneyDivaxo
On yesterday's show, when they spoke about MNSSHP dates being released, I was kind of lost. When are the dates usually released? What goes on at the party that makes the event special? I thought this event was universally loved, but based off the banter, it seems like the event is lacking and is over booked? I've never attended, though its a dream of mine to go to WDW during Halloween. Can someone clarify?

The event is mostly the same year after year so for locals, it may not be exciting anymore but for people who rarely visit, it can be a blast. Some dates may feel over booked but the dates right after labor day are quieter as schools start

it seems like the event is lacking and is over booked
This past year especially (maybe last year too, I don't recall) Disney apparently greatly increased the number of tickets sold for each night. So what used to be a very low crowd event where attractions were walk ons or short waits was now packed with wait times just as long as during regular park hours. A lot of guests complained about that and swore never to do it again unless that changes.

I'll preface this by saying we are Halloween junkies. We'll be going to our third MNSSHP this year :)

The parks are decorated for Halloween, there is trick or treating through the park, special food items and souvenirs you can ONLY get during the party. The parade, fireworks and stage shows are all unique to the party. Some characters ONLY do meet and greets during the party, and the ride lines aren't awful. And it's one of the few times adults can come to the park in costume! For us, 100% worth it and amazing every time.

The event is mostly the same year after year so for locals, it may not be exciting anymore but for people who rarely visit, it can be a blast. Some dates may feel over booked but the dates right after labor day are quieter as schools start

Okay, that makes sense. So from a local stand point, the party has not changed enough for them to feel as if the cost is worth it? Do you think perhaps Disney tries maintaining the party so universally, guests from all years of attendance have a similar experience across the board? Or is it just a matter of laziness?

So what used to be a very low crowd event where attractions were walk ons or short waits was now packed with wait times just as long as during regular park hours. A lot of guests complained about that and swore never to do it again unless that changes.
Well, jeez, that doesn't sound like it's worth the money at all. So help me understand how this works: MK is open ONLY to people with tickets to the event past a certain time in the day? OR is the park still open to all, just certain rides/areas of the park are closed off for the event?

I'll preface this by saying we are Halloween junkies. We'll be going to our third MNSSHP this year :)

The parks are decorated for Halloween, there is trick or treating through the park, special food items and souvenirs you can ONLY get during the party. The parade, fireworks and stage shows are all unique to the party. Some characters ONLY do meet and greets during the party, and the ride lines aren't awful. And it's one of the few times adults can come to the park in costume! For us, 100% worth it and amazing every time.
That truly sounds like a blast. Sounds right up my alley--it's always halloween in my heart, lol! pirate: So with having been in attendance a few times, do you feel as if it's crowded, or does the event being ticketed help crowd levels in your opinion?

And why is Disney releasing the dates this early seen as negative? That confused me. Isn't Disney always planning ahead?

Well, jeez, that doesn't sound like it's worth the money at all. So help me understand how this works: MK is open ONLY to people with tickets to the event past a certain time in the day? OR is the park still open to all, just certain rides/areas of the park are closed off for the event?

The whole park closes down for anyone but party guests. Around 6pm they start herding people back to the gates if they don't have a wristband for the party, and by 7pm only party ticket holders are in the park.

That truly sounds like a blast. Sounds right up my alley--it's always halloween in my heart, lol! pirate: So with having been in attendance a few times, do you feel as if it's crowded, or does the event being ticketed help crowd levels in your opinion?

I think my experience is going to be different from someone who went to the parties 5-7 years ago. It's definitely not a situation where you can just walk on rides, but wait times were never at a level that I didn't think was worthwhile. Lines to meet and greet some characters were longer than ride lines.

I do think you have to kind of decide on the front end what is more important to you - meeting characters, or riding rides? The first time we went, it was with my kids and we were ALL about the characters. Their interaction with Jack Sparrow was a highlight of their entire trip. The second time it was just us and a couple we're friends with and we were focused on the rides. We got on BTMRR a couple of times, and most other rides at least once. Consider that this was in a 4 hour period and I'd say our time and money were well spent.

And why is Disney releasing the dates this early seen as negative? That confused me. Isn't Disney always planning ahead?
Releasing the dates and tickets early suggests that Disney is concerned about bookings during that period. The same goes for the recently released "free" dining promotion. Traditionally, summer was peak season, but over the past few years, that has changed and crowd levels have been lower, spurring Disney to offer discounts at a time they didn't need to previously.

I think my experience is going to be different from someone who went to the parties 5-7 years ago. It's definitely not a situation where you can just walk on rides, but wait times were never at a level that I didn't think was worthwhile. Lines to meet and greet some characters were longer than ride lines.

I do think you have to kind of decide on the front end what is more important to you - meeting characters, or riding rides? The first time we went, it was with my kids and we were ALL about the characters. Their interaction with Jack Sparrow was a highlight of their entire trip. The second time it was just us and a couple we're friends with and we were focused on the rides. We got on BTMRR a couple of times, and most other rides at least once. Consider that this was in a 4 hour period and I'd say our time and money were well spent.
I see. Meet and greets aren't really my thing, so I guess attractions would be more my focus.

I would add that Disney has somewhat brought that on themselves with the whole festival thing. Starting with Festival of the Arts in January/February, going into Flower and Garden in the spring then Food and Wine in the fall, and the holiday stuff in the late fall/early winter, that left summer as the only time without special stuff going on. They extended MNNSHP into mid-August probably to try and address that somewhat and pull people in sooner for Halloween.

I've never attended, though its a dream of mine to go to WDW during Halloween. Can someone clarify?
You should absolutely go. It's more crowded than it used to be; thus the disappointment from regulars. The event is universally loved which is why Disney is allowing more people in and adding more dates. But for a first timer it's still wonderful.

I would add that Disney has somewhat brought that on themselves with the whole festival thing. Starting with Festival of the Arts in January/February, going into Flower and Garden in the spring then Food and Wine in the fall, and the holiday stuff in the late fall/early winter, that left summer as the only time without special stuff going on. They extended MNNSHP into mid-August probably to try and address that somewhat and pull people in sooner for Halloween.
So the dates are creeping earlier into the summer season? Yeah, thats slightly ridiculous. It's actually VERY ridiculous lol...I think it should just be an October thing, however, from a business stand point I could see how they'd want to take full advantage of the opportunity.

I see. Meet and greets aren't really my thing, so I guess attractions would be more my focus.
The parade and the shows are really nice. But they also haven't been changed for a very long time. I went in 2017 for the first time and it seemed way more full than I expected. If attractions are your focus I'd recommend Disney After Hours instead. The wait times are far more manageable then. At the Halloween party 7 Dwarves never dipped below 40 min or so, but during after hours it was practically walk on. The entertainment is great to see once, but for me isn't worth the cost to repeat even though I'm not a local. During the shows and parades its wall to wall people in the HUB and on Main Street and that put a damper on the party for me.

As far as updating the entertainment, to Disney I think its just not a high priority because they are doing so many other projects across the parks and they've proved they can still sell tons of tickets without changing it so why bother.

They released them last year in Mid-March.

I went in 2017 and 2018 (the second night last year). In 2017 I thought it was okay, and went last year and absolutely hated it. I normally love basically everything at WDW, but it was so packed I couldn't move at all.

One of the appeals of going to the party are shorter lines for attractions, and most everything had 45 minutes + lines. The snacks were tiny, and to get a good spot for the parade you needed to get a spot at least an hour in advance. I could go on, but basically it was just awful, with no redeeming value. I think the other complaint is that nothing has really changed for years.

I have only been to WDW between May and August, and it was the most crowded I have ever seen.

Sorry to be such a debbie downer but that was my experience (and it seems like the teams experience as well). I will not be going again this year.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter