Confused!

Martyap

Mouseketeer
I thought I was doing everything correctly until I started reading the sound advice on these boards.
We are 6 adults; 1 ten year old we classified as an adult; 3 kids (9, 9, 7).
Currently I booked PORFQ with the DDP for late July for 6 nights. On day 180 last week I made the following ADR's based on some of the reviews I read:
'Ohana; Mamma Melrose/Fantasmic; Akershus; Tusker House Breakfast and
Hoop Dee Doo (same day); BOG = 7TS (probably would try to do BOG for a CS lunch instead -1TS)

My questions:
Did we select too many buffets? Should we consider other restaurants?
The kids are all eclectic eaters but the majority in our group are not quantity eaters.

Thinking now that it might be wiser to change to OOP because although the group might take advantage of desserts at the buffets.......desserts and soft drinks are not something we would usually eat via SC and CS credits.
If we change from DDP to OOP would that effect our ADR'S?

Another reasoning for changing from DDP to OOP is that it is always possible that we might cancel any of the above TS ressies because of weather, schedule, too hot to eat so much........seems with the DDP I've already paid for them in advance.

For the most part we plan to stay as a family group and maximize our time at the park and the resort. Hope I'm doing something right but would relish your expert advice.

If you are using the ddp, I feel there is no such thing as too many buffets. You will get the most bang for your buck. Do you need all that food? No way! But it is vacation, and the way I look at it is if I was paying oop, we wouldn't be doing any buffets or desserts or drinks for that matter.

Now because your group is fairly large, it's harder to determine what your group will want to eat, and what will be best for your family.

However, I have only done the ddp when I had free dining. It was great! But, for what our family of four eats, I would pay oop if free dining wasn't part of the promotion.

Thanks.....unfortunately it does not work with Macs.

This calculator is so cool I would go to the library just to use it or a friends house, the office on lunch or maybe someone in your party. It really is worth the effort to give you that peace of mind in making your decision. We saved 200 with the most expensive selections at the most expensive restaurants at each resort. When I calculated how we would actually eat you know not a desert and appetizer for each at each meal it was over 350 Needless to say we are not using DDP Good luck

This calculator is so cool I would go to the library just to use it or a friends house, the office on lunch or maybe someone in your party. It really is worth the effort to give you that peace of mind in making your decision. We saved 200 with the most expensive selections at the most expensive restaurants at each resort. When I calculated how we would actually eat you know not a desert and appetizer for each at each meal it was over 350 Needless to say we are not using DDP Good luck

Good idea....I'll find a PC to work on.

Even w/o the calculator I cannot see much upside to the DDP.
With 10 people if two are not hungry that meal; or if one comes down with a 24 hour stomach bug; or if we feel like cancelling a TS one night and head to DTD for a CS.....OOP affords more options at a lower cost. With the DDP we have already paid for all the meals & snacks whether we eat them or not.

Am I missing something?
If I decide to change is there a downside?

thanks so much for posting that link! We have always enjoyed the dining plan and saved money using it. However, now that both of my children are considered adults I was not so sure that it would save us on our next trip. After using the calculator and putting in many different options it appears we will save at least $200 paying OOP. The only way to make it worth it is if we ordered an app, dessert, drinks and most expensive choices for every meal. I drink water with most meals, dh will order a glass of wine with some, and the kids can skip the soda at times as well.
We also split CS a lot, or just grab a turkey leg or something small.
I am going OOP for this trip and saving the receipts to double check if we saved money!
The only other factor is that when we get a CS for breakfast at our resort they let you take 2 drinks since there is no dessert or app. and we would grab waters and gatorades for the day, but we can easily use that $200 towards that.
It is a great tool to help you decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter