CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

rteetz

Rumors and News Moderator
Per WDWMagic the new show will have drones, IP, and still include the nations of World Showcase.

rteetz

Rumored aspects of new Illuminations show

Drones
Nations
IP/Characters covering the show
"Wow" factor
Different pacing
Sort of like TDS Fantasmic
Illuminations ends September 30th, 2019
Skymosphere is a name Disney trade marked
IP "North, South, East, and West" North points to Future World (possibly guardians), South points to America, East to Frozen/Norway, West to Rat/UK.
Nighttime at Epcot won't be the same
Changeover will be overnight
Drones mimicking objects (snowflakes during frozen portion)

Last edited:
  • WiredForFlight

Mouseketeer
    Drones mimicking objects (snowflakes during frozen portion
    The irony is not lost on me that Disney used Congress to pass into law a No Fly Zone [TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction)] and now they needed FAA approval for a waiver.

None the less I am very much looking forward to seeing what they and Intel can do.

The Pho

A heck of a paleontologist if I do say so myself
    The irony is not lost on me that Disney used Congress to pass into law a No Fly Zone [TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction)] and now they needed FAA approval for a waiver.

None the less I am very much looking forward to seeing what they and Intel can do.
    Isn't World Showcase Lagoon outside of that No Fly Zone? I would hope so because I was in a chopper over it not too long ago, but then again the pilot was a bit of a looney.

WiredForFlight

Mouseketeer
    Isn't World Showcase Lagoon outside of that No Fly Zone? I would hope so because I was in a chopper over it not too long ago.
    The edge of the park is outside the TFR but the lagoon is not.

The red area is the TFR. (Used ForeFlight to get the Google Map with the TFR)

Attachments

Last edited:
  • WiredForFlight

Mouseketeer
    Yes, buddy of mine booked us a room already for the last (rumored) day... I think we might have a Disney problem lol

adam.adbe

DIS Veteran
    IP "North, South, East, and West" North points to Future World (possibly guardians), South points to America, East to Frozen/Norway, West to Rat/UK.
    Not gonna lie. I'm not digging that.

I guess that nixes any hopes of upgrades to the fountain systems then.

• rteetz

Not gonna lie. I'm not digging that.

I guess that nixes any hopes of upgrades to the fountain systems then.
    The entire lagoon will be getting upgrades. The upgrades will take time but the show change will happen over night.

Stitch808

Mouseketeer
    Sad to see it go, but it could be an upgrade for the better. Planning at trip at the end of September 2019 so we are hoping to catch one of the last Illumination shows.

Tink1987

DIS Veteran
    I’m sad this is finishing. I love it so much and it’s hard so soon after Wishes has finished, although I realise that by the time Illuminations ends it will be two years since Wishes had ended.

I completely understand that things have to change but I’m worried what Disney is going to do. Unfortunately I don’t have the faith anymore that the replacement will be just as good and as for the fact it will have IP, I can’t even put it into words yet about how that makes me feel! I didn’t even visit WDW for the first time until 2009 so I can just imagine how people feel who can remember the 80’s/90’s.

People in the Dis community on Twitter put it so much better then me, Illuminations will be something we speak about in years to come in EPCOT whilst standing in queue for Frozen, Ratatouilie and what other characters they can shove in.

Thom72

Mouseketeer
    Change needs to take place to keep up with the technology. Yes, it was a great show, but it was a show for us entering into Y2k. And it's now 2018-9 and just like "Wishes Nighttime Spectacular" it's time has passed. And how great a show " Happily Ever After" turned out, I have no worries Disney will make the new Epcot show just as great or better than Illuminations.

Kazrak

DIS Veteran
    More than anything we really liked the music of Illuminations. Going to be hard to replace songs like "Promise" and the others imho.
    I suggested 'Promise' for a friend's wedding. He was going to use it, but the wedding fell through for reasons I'm still not 100% clear on.

hakepb

DIS Veteran
    Interesting article and video about a drone show from the Netherlands, may present some insight into what is coming to the new Epcot show.
    http://www.cnn.com/style/article/studio-drift-franchise-freedom-smart-creativity/
    Swarm of drones illuminates the night sky
    Drones can do some neat things, but current drone technology isn’t good / bright/ numerous enough as the primary show element that’s as big as Illuminations (they might currently work well in a F! Sized theater)

I would prefer drones instead of the globe, but I think current drone tech will seem like globe v1 in 5 years.

Especially if you compare to the next-level fireworks you see in Japanese fireworks shows
    Imagine this with better music:

Last edited:

OSUZorba

DIS Veteran

Drones
    Nations
    IP/Characters covering the show
    "Wow" factor
    Different pacing
    Sort of like TDS Fantasmic
    Illuminations ends September 30th, 2019
    Skymosphere is a name Disney trade marked
    Nighttime at Epcot won't be the same
    Drones mimicking objects (snowflakes during frozen portion)
    SMH

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

DIS INSTAGRAM