Compare the GF and Poly for me!

karebear1

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
I'm trying to decide about staying at either GF or Poly, but really don't know much about the MK resorts. I have visited both of these resorts and like them, but I can't decide which I would rather stay at. My DH and I will be going in Jan. '05. Is there one that is better in service then the other? Friendliness? Please give me your opinions of the pros and cons of both resorts- what you like and dislike about them each. Thanks!

I've stayed at both and really don't have much of a preference, but if I had to rank them, the Polynesian would be my first choice. It all depends on your mood.

Polynesian:
1. Tropical
2. Relaxing
3. Best transportation on property
4. Friendly cast members
5. GREAT restaurants

Grand Floridian:
1. Luxurious
2. Upscale
3. Good transportation, but not as good as Polynesian
4. Polite cast members, but not overly "Disney"
5. Good restaurants

I would probably choose the Polynesian, especially if you have kids. It just seems to me to be more laid back than the GF.

Hope this helps a little.

Well put, scanne!! We've stayed at both, but if you read my signature, you can see we prefer the Poly. The atmosphere is so much more inviting, we love the Poly, it's one of our favorite resorts(AKL is the other, but doesn't have the monorail!)

The GF is a beautiful resort, very nice, but there is something about the Poly that draws us back. We hadn't been there for a couple of years, trying other resorts, and last Dec. we stopped there to look at the Christmas decorations. That was all it took to decide we had to get back there, just walking in the lobby is so relaxing, so wonderful. The cm's there are the best in the World, you wouldn't regret a stay there, I'm sure!!:sunny:

We prefer the atmosphere of the GF, but we also loved the Poly. We are staying at the GF in January for half of our stay then moving to the BCV for the second half. We chose the GF b/c we do not care about the tranportation to Epcot since we will be close to it later in our stay. If it was just my DH and I traveling and only staying at one resort I may pick the Poly b/c it is so close to the TTC so it is quicker to Epcot.
I think it is really a personal choice. We loved 'Ohanas but we also enjoyed 1900 PF. We felt more pampered at the GF, but liked that the Poly felt less spaced out.
I know we will stay at both again, for us it will probably come down to which is available with an AP discount. In our past experience we have been offered one or the other but not both. Maybe that is just luck.
One thing I would add is that in the off season we really enjoy being around Epcot and the boardwalk in the evening since MK closes so early. If it was just DH and I, I think I would probably stay at either BC or YC. My husband definitely prefers being in the Epcot area!

Having recently stayed at both (the Poly in August of 2003, the GF this past February), I can say without hesitation that comparing the two resorts is useless. Their atmospheres are way too dissimilar; I love them both for very different reasons.

Both the GF and Polynesian have the best mousekeeping and best staff on property. From the woman who cleaned out my ashtra on the balcony every night (arranging a napkin into a Mickey head) to the gentleman in the GF who did our turndown service every night ("Will 6:15 be convenient for you for the rest of your stay, sir?"), both hotel staffs exceeded expectations.

I prefer the restaurant selection at the GF. Just my opinion. You'll find posters hwo are crazy about 'Ohanas. Since I prefer quiet, leisurely dinners and like to dawdle over wine and coffee, Citricos, Narcoosee's, and now the Grand Florididan Cafe address those needs - even though I love Kona Cafe.

I also prefer the lounges at the GF. Tambu Lounge at the Poly has always seemed like an afterthought - a bar shoved into what is in essence a second-floor waiting area. Mizner's Lounge, like the Belleview Lounge at the Boardwalk, is dark, elegant, and posh without being snooty (the beer selection, however, sucks).

The Polynesian is much more convenient however when travelling to Epcot. Walk to the TTC monorail. At the GF it can take almost an hour to get from the monorail station to the Epcot entrance if you miss the train.

There's my take! :D

I have stayed at both, and would have to vote for The Grand Floridian, although I would not sulk if I had to stay at The Poly..

I am trying to make this decision, too!! I've looked at the pics on Tikiman's site and the grounds do look beautiful, but the pictures of the rooms look a bit sterile? I know that a picture often looks more washed out - would you say the rooms are a lot warmer than those pictures make them appear - no offense meant to Poly lovers, please!!

we decided to try the GF this trip, but we love the Poly::yes::

I think KathyTX put it best:

Originally posted by KathyTX
Depends! What appeals to you most:

Pina Colada or Gin and Tonic?
Sarong and barefoot, or chic sundress and strappy sandals?
Jimmy Buffet on the beach, or a brass quintet in a town square?
Chicken wings and pineapple chunks, or cucumber sandwiches and tea?
Robinson Crusoe or Mary Poppins?

Both fun, but two very different moods.
Having stayed at both, I can tell you that you can't sum it up any better than that. :cool:

I completely agree! Some vacations we want Jimmy Buffet and others we desire the brass quintet, both are always a fabulous vacation!!! But one thing, don't let the description of the GF scare you away if you have young children. I have found my children to be welcomed and quite comfortable in every deluxe.

you're in for a real treat. We've stayed at both resorts and like the Polynesian better. The Grand is certainly beautiful, but a bit less "relaxed" than the Poly. We like the relaxing atmosphere, lush surroundings and tropical feel of the Poly. Both had great service! Very comparable.

The pool at the Poly is better - and in a more fun location - right near the Seven Seas Lagoon. Both resorts offer great on-site dining but I have to say the Grand has better choices with the exception of breakfast. Kona Cafe at the Poly is my favorite breakfast spot.

Nonetheless, you'll certainly love either one - how could you not???

PamNC

I disagree about the GF pool. Now that they added the new pool it is very similar to the Poly pool and much less crowded b/c of the larger main pool. I did love the Poly pool though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter