Companion Bathroom Locations At WDW Resorts - Updated Per Disney 25-AUG-2011

Dan1

DIS Veteran
Hi,

With my Saturday early morning cup of coffee in hand I thought I would change the first posting here to create a collection of companion washroom locations in WDW outside of those in the major (MK, AK, HS, Epcot) and minor (Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach) park locations from the information posted in this thread. As we (all of us) learn more, I can update this first thread from subsequent postings by others herein.

Where a particular resort listed below has no location identified for its Companion washroom, it may have one; it is simply that I don't know and we don't have a posting yet to this thread to indicate for sure if there is one at that resort or not.

OK, here's the listing (I hope it helps):

Value Disney Resorts
-All-Star Movies
-All-Star Music
-All-Star Sports
-Art of Animation Resorts
-Pop Century Resort

Moderate Disney Resorts
-Caribbean Beach
-Coronado Springs
-Fort Wilderness Cabins / Resort & Campground
-----None
-Port Orleans Riverside
-Port Orleans French Quarter

Deluxe Disney Resorts
-Animal Kingdom Lodge / Villas
-----None
-Bay Lake Tower
-----None
-Beach Club Resort / Villas
-----None
-Boardwalk Inn / Villas
-----None
-Contemporary Resort
-----Chef Mickey’s – ask at the podium at the entrance to the restaurant
-Grand Floridian Resort
-----Second floor, left off the elevator on the lagoon side.
-Old Key West Resort
-Polynesian Resort
-----Second Floor outside Ohana’s Restaurant
-Treehouse Villas
-Wilderness Lodge / Villas
-Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
-Yacht Club Resort
-----None
-WDW Swan Hotel
-----None, but the Il Mulino restaurant has a private one you can use per the hotel (single washroom with lock on the door similar to that existing at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary)
-WDW Dolphin Hotel
-----None, but single bathroom near Australian meeting room (& volunteered without being asked that they would do the 'stand on guard' practice which was nice to hear [let someone know who would clear our a male / female washroom, let us enter, stand on guard preventing others from using it, etc.])

NOTE: Resorts with workout areas may have a companion / single bathroom which could be used.
NOTE: Many resorts are said to have them by their pools (yet there may be an issue with accessing the pool area if you are not staying at the resort; ask a Cast Member to discuss at the resort location prior to any need.

Downtown Disney
-----Next to the Art of Disney / Make A Shirt Shop
-----Behind the Once Upon A Toy Store and the Stroller Rentals
-----Inside the Once Upon A Toy Store
----------Per super sleuth LinvnDisney (with thanks) - It is located across the hall from the "regular" restrooms in Once Upon a Toy. But even better is the "regular" restrooms are just like the companion restroom. (Atleast the Women's is-I'm sure you will forgive me for not barging in and taking pics of the Men's restroom .). They are single toilet rooms with handrails (and changing tables). The restrooms are located off the video game room.

Disney’s West Side
-----AMC Theatre – none; ask an usher or the Manager for assistance and they will clear a restroom and advise those outside to wait until you leave
-----On the water side by the women’s restroom behind Wetzel’s Pretzels (near AMC Theatre)

ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
-----At the Champion Stadium (First Aid)
-----At the Tennis Complex
-----Track and Field Restrooms
-----Jostens Center
-----Milk House First Aid

Disney Parks
-----Disabilities Park Guides
-----Listing available from First Aid area inside each Park

EDITED TO ADD BY SueM (Moderator):
-----thread about Companion Restroom with list and pictures:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2076903

-----link to Disney website page with list of locations:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/#RESTROOMS

Other
-Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf
-----Before you get on the course

Dan

You posted in the right area. You present an interesting question. I know there are Companion Restrooms at Downtown Disney. I think there is one near the Balloon at the Westside, but I am not sure. I will run over early this week and find out for you. Even better-I just called over to Guest Services at AMC. They do not have Companion Restrooms at the theater, however they will work with you. They ask they you contact one of the ushers or Manager. I am sending you a PM.

As far as the resorts, I have not seen a companion restroom at any of the resorts.

Hi,

Sincere apologies if this is not the right area to post this (admin's please feel free to relocate ... not that you would need my permission anyway ;) ).

I am taking my adult special needs DD to WDW in April / May (just her and I).

Having done the Dad & special needs DD trip once before, I know how invaluable companion bathrooms can be; in fact, I don't leave the room in the hotel / resort where we stayed without knowing exactly where they were in the area of WDW we were going to visit for the day.

This time we are going for 2 weeks and plan to visit other resorts to see what's what.

However, this link http://allears.net/pl/restrooms.htm indicates that there are no companion bathrooms in a couple of areas within WDW where we were going to visit.

1. What about in the resorts themselves? I thought for sure that in the lobby area of say the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, etc. there would be at least one companion bathroom?

2. Then again, we could not find a single solitary companion bathroom inside Orlando International Airport within the secured area which was shocking (if someone knows where there is a companion bathroom inside MCO please let me know!).

If there are no companion bathrooms in the areas cited by the allears link or in any of the WDW resorts, I'd like to hear from others who have needed a companion bathroom in those areas what you did.

How can take my daughter to see the different resorts or see a movie in the AMC area if there are no companion bathrooms?

Thank you very much for your thoughts,
Dan

You posted in the right area. You present an interesting question. I know there are Companion Restrooms at Downtown Disney. I think there is one near the Balloon at the Westside, but I am not sure. I will run over early this week and find out for you. Even better-I just called over to Guest Services at AMC. They do not have Companion Restrooms at the theater, however they will work with you. They ask they you contact one of the ushers or Manager. I am sending you a PM.

As far as the resorts, I have not seen a companion restroom at any of the resorts.

Wow! You :love: would do that for us (by 'us' I mean all of us DDads with a special needs DD or DMoms with a special needs DS travelling just by ourselves)?

Thank you for that and for the AMC note.
Dan

I have the same issue as a single Mom to DS(19). he has Autism and CP and though he can toilet alone, I can't trust him alone in a men's restroom. I have been allowed to use the employee restroom at TL. I suppose it is easier to take a Boy into the ladies room, usually I have him cover his eyes and we rush to the HC stall in his wheelchair with my best apologetic look and lots of "sorrys" to the occupants. usually met with understanding looks from other adult women, but sometimes rude comments from teenage girls. I know this does not work in your situation, maybe call the resorts and ask if they have a way to help you? good luck and let us know what you find out.

I have the same issue ... maybe call the resorts and ask if they have a way to help you? good luck and let us know what you find out.

Well, the intrigue continues.

I just got off the phone with the Contemporary Resort (since I want to have lunch at the Wave restaurant during our stay as the menu looks very yummy and as it was recommended to me by some folks).

So, after speaking with three people, the third one said he had never been asked that since the hotel assumes (my word, not his) that the only people who would use the restaurants, or be in the hotel would be guests of the hotel and therefore would not need a companion washroom facilities.

He admitted he did not have an answer. :confused3

I have to assume (my word) that this will be the same for all of the on site hotels.

He did provide me with an email address to the executives and while he said he would make inquiries as well (but you know he never asked me for my phone number or email address).

I will send the email and let all y'all know what response I receive.

This surprisingly does seem to be a special needs issue which has slipped through the otherwise typically excellent facilities planning.
Dan

Well, the intrigue continues.

I just got off the phone with the Contemporary Resort (since I want to have lunch at the Wave restaurant during our stay as the menu looks very yummy and as it was recommended to me by some folks).

So, after speaking with three people, the third one said he had never been asked that since the hotel assumes (my word, not his) that the only people who would use the restaurants, or be in the hotel would be guests of the hotel and therefore would not need a companion washroom facilities.

He admitted he did not have an answer. :confused3

I have to assume (my word) that this will be the same for all of the on site hotels.

He did provide me with an email address to the executives and while he said he would make inquiries as well (but you know he never asked me for my phone number or email address).

I will send the email and let all y'all know what response I receive.

This surprisingly does seem to be a special needs issue which has slipped through the otherwise typically excellent facilities planning.
Dan

First of all, you may not have actually been speaking to a CM at the Cont, but a call center. Most calls to resorts are routed to off property call centers.

I will poke around the resorts this week to see what I can find.

so, I decided to call Disney, too and see what kind of answers I would get.

Well, I thought the answer was a reasonable one under the circumstance; so, I will share it.

If you are visiting a restaurant at a Disney resort then it was suggested to get a CM from the restaurant to help. You'll have to explain your situation thoroughly (maybe, have a notecard prepared for them to read), but I was told the CM will find a way to clear the rest room out temporarily at the restaurant itself or even possibly another restroom not in the restaurant, if necessary. Supposedly, they will find a way to assist you. I would definitely stress to the CM you are trying to do this out of courtesy to other guests; so, no one has to be offended; because, you are in a hard place being of the opposite sex.

If for whatever reasons you were not in a restaurant then you might have to be more creative in getting to a CM that could help you at a resort. I was told by the call center that someone would help some how, some way, but you will definitely have to explain yourself clearly. The CM I talked with called two different resorts directly to get suggestions.

I will share some other thoughts, as well. I think I would prepare by making sure you use a restroom that's suitable before you get to the restaurant. Try to take care of both ends of the restroom visit before you go to the restaurant. Next, I would cut back on drinking during this time period; so, there will be less chance of needing a restroom. Finally, I would be on the safe side and wear a diaper on these harder ocassions. I would probably carry a change of clothes, too. I use these methods myself with my Alzheimer's 90 year old mother when we are in hard situation. No matter how much a CM may work with you to clear a restroom it may not be quick enough depending on the crowds; so, be as prepared as you can be.

Finally, personally I think I would avoid the problem and not go to a place where it would be embarrassing or very difficult to contend with this situation. For the sake of your daughter, I wouldn't want to take the chance. There are so many nice restaurants at the parks that I would be happy enough to just enjoy them. It would be nice if you could have the same accessibility at the resorts, but if you can't I would rather not do it. When you think about it most other restaurants can't help in this situation, either. Whether they are Disney owned or not, this is a problem. Any public place is an issue that way including airports. If you really want to do this then I would hire a caregiver assistant of the same sex for that time period; so, there wouldn't be a problem using a restroom. You would have to pay for their meal, as well as, their time.

I don't have the same identical problem and maybe someone else will chime in who has the same experience at Disney and can offer some better suggestions.

Are there washrooms in the club lounges? I know that only Deluxe resorts have club lounges, but it seems that many of the resorts you are visiting are Deluxes.

In the "real world" many lounges don't have washrooms, but those that do are generally of the "one room" variety (i.e. ones that are like the companion restrooms). I wonder if something could be arranged where you could use them (if no other options work).

I will share some other thoughts, as well. I think I would prepare by making sure you use a restroom that's suitable before you get to the restaurant. Try to take care of both ends of the restroom visit before you go to the restaurant. Next, I would cut back on drinking during this time period; so, there will be less chance of needing a restroom. Finally, I would be on the safe side and wear a diaper on these harder ocassions. I would probably carry a change of clothes, too. I use these methods myself with my Alzheimer's 90 year old mother when we are in hard situation. No matter how much a CM may work with you to clear a restroom it may not be quick enough depending on the crowds; so, be as prepared as you can be.

Finally, personally I think I would avoid the problem and not go to a place where it would be embarrassing or very difficult to contend with this situation. For the sake of your daughter, I wouldn't want to take the chance.

Hi Bette,
Thanks for your thoughts.

In our situation, many of your / the call center's suggestions do not apply.

For example, forcing my daughter to wear a diaper (she's 24) when she does not wear one now is not an option.

Restricting which restaurants to eat at is not an option. Any person should have the right to eat anywhere they want, regardless of race or abilities.

We are planning to spend several hours away from our planned 'home' resort. Yes, it is the last 'thing' we do before we leave our room to go out for the day but this can be an hour or two before we would arrive at any particular on site hotel for our 'look see'.

Cutting back on drinking is not an option. Like many people who use wheel chairs, constipation can be a concern. We do manage her diet effectively, yet sufficient quantity of liquids consistently throughout the day is not something I am willing to do as it is part of the overall intake to avoid constipation.

Perhaps I am being too radical in thinking that Disney quite honestly is missing the boat on this. Perhaps I am being too radical that it is Disney's responsibility to, in the absence of having a family / companion washroom in the lobby of each resort hotel,to have a action plan consistently applied at each of their hotels with training of all staff so they know how to handle this when it arises. And, with the aging population, this is not a one off need but something which I think will go away.

With the multi-million $$ cost of constructing a decent hotel of any type, when planned properly up front it does not cost that much to build a family / companion washroom facility.

I'm not willing to compromise. Let's just see what response I receive from Disney.
Dan

so, I decided to call Disney, too and see what kind of answers I would get.

Well, I thought the answer was a reasonable one under the circumstance; so, I will share it.

If you are visiting a restaurant at a Disney resort then it was suggested to get a CM from the restaurant to help. You'll have to explain your situation thoroughly (maybe, have a notecard prepared for them to read), but I was told the CM will find a way to clear the rest room out temporarily at the restaurant itself or even possibly another restroom not in the restaurant, if necessary. Supposedly, they will find a way to assist you. I would definitely stress to the CM you are trying to do this out of courtesy to other guests; so, no one has to be offended; because, you are in a hard place being of the opposite sex.

If for whatever reasons you were not in a restaurant then you might have to be more creative in getting to a CM that could help you at a resort. I was told by the call center that someone would help some how, some way, but you will definitely have to explain yourself clearly. The CM I talked with called two different resorts directly to get suggestions.

Finally, personally I think I would avoid the problem and not go to a place where it would be embarrassing or very difficult to contend with this situation. For the sake of your daughter, I wouldn't want to take the chance. There are so many nice restaurants at the parks that I would be happy enough to just enjoy them. It would be nice if you could have the same accessibility at the resorts, but if you can't I would rather not do it. When you think about it most other restaurants can't help in this situation, either. Whether they are Disney owned or not, this is a problem. Any public place is an issue that way including airports. If you really want to do this then I would hire a caregiver assistant of the same sex for that time period; so, there wouldn't be a problem using a restroom. You would have to pay for their meal, as well as, their time.

I don't have the same identical problem and maybe someone else will chime in who has the same experience at Disney and can offer some better suggestions.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree - we are not talking about a small mom and pop restaurant that would struggle to afford to put such facilities in place this is DISNEY. All of their resorts should be able to accomodate such a sitiuation with at least one companion restroom if not in each restaurant then at least in the main lobby. Whilst there are nice restaurants in the parks there are also some very nice restaurants in the resorts - I believe there are more signature restaurants in resorts than in the parks - why should the OP be denied these because Disney (or any other large corporation) doesn't want to spend the small amount (a tiny amount considering the daily revenue) needed to provide appropriate facilities in the resorts?

Thank you, Livndisney.

That could help (and possibly should be a sticky somewhere?). I'll keep it handy for when we get closer to our arrival dates. Right now our reservation doesn't show the arrival terminal / gate.

Thank you again,
Dan
Post 15 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is about air travel and includes lots of general information about travel and also lots of links to Orlando airport information.
You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

Post 15 includes a link to a page about services at the Orlando airport for guests with disabilities. That Orlando airport page includes the link to Companion Restrooms that livndisney posted.
Post 15 also includes a link to maps of the Orlando airport, which do show the locations of Companion Restrooms.
Link to airport map.

Since there was a link to the Orlando airport disability services, I did not have a separate link to the Companion Restroom Services.
I edited post 15 right now and did add a separate link to the airport Companion Restroom page to post 15, since some people may not click the link to the airport disability services or look on the airport maps.

Post 15 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is about air travel and includes lots of general information about travel and also lots of links to Orlando airport information.
You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

Post 15 includes a link to a page about services at the Orlando airport for guests with disabilities. That Orlando airport page includes the link to Companion Restrooms that livndisney posted.
Post 15 also includes a link to maps of the Orlando airport, which do show the locations of Companion Restrooms.

Since there was a link to the Orlando airport disability services, I did not have a separate link to the Companion Restroom Services.
I edited post 15 right now and did add a separate link to the airport Companion Restroom page to post 15, since some people may not click the link to the airport disability services or look on the airport maps.

I did it the hard way and went looking for a map LOL I should have known Sue had it covered:thumbsup2

I would strongly caution against cutting fluids. It is easy to get dehydrated and that could lead to heat exhaustion. Cutting fluids can also lead to urinary tract infections, so not a good way to avoid using the bathroom.

There is a thread that I started a long time ago (but did not have time to complete) about Companion Restrooms at WDW.

There is a link to that thread in post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
There is also an Epcot FAQs thread near the top of this board, which includes information about the Companion Restrooms in Epcot.

THis is the location of Companion Restrooms at Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and ESPN:

Edited to Correct ERROR:
It should be
Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
·To the rear of the locker rental area at the entrance to the Park

Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park
·at the First Aid station behind the Beach Haus shop, as well as behind the locker rental area, near the Snowless Joe's shop.

ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
· At the Champion Stadium
· At the Tennis Complex
· Track and Field Restrooms
· Jostens Center

The allears site is good, but not up to date in terms of all the Companion restrooms:

Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf has one before you get on the course.

Downtown Disney Marketplace
Next to the Art of Disney/Make a shirt shop (getting late and can’t remember the name)
Next to Guest Services
Behind the Toy Store (not inside as allears says).
There are several others, but I can’t recall the exact locations - there is one on the West Side area.

We have not gone to a movie lately at the AMC Downtown Disney Theater, so I don’t know if they have a Companion Restroom or not. They have this number listed as Guest Services: (407)827-1308

As for the hotels/resorts, they were all built before the ADA required Companion Restrooms. New construction requires them, but older construction may add them as renovations are being done. Space becomes an issue though, because they would usually be added in areas near existing restrooms and finding a space there that is large enough to add one is sometimes a problem.
They are something that is changing frequently; WDW is much better supplied in general with Companion Restrooms than most other places we visit.

If there is not one, kind of the standard anywhere (not just WDW) is to ask a staff member to clear the bathroom for you so that you can enter with an opposite sex person you need to assist.

I know there is one at the Polynesian outside Ohana's that I have used several times for my daughter.

We have not gone to a movie lately at the AMC Downtown Disney Theater, so I don’t know if they have a Companion Restroom or not. They have this number listed as Guest Services: (407)827-1308

I did speak with Guest Service at AMC today. She confirmed they do not have a companion restroom, but will assist those who need assistance. They will clear a restroom and advise those outside.

I did speak with Guest Service at AMC today. She confirmed they do not have a companion restroom, but will assist those who need assistance. They will clear a restroom and advise those outside.
Thanks for checking it out.:)

I know there is one at the Polynesian outside Ohana's that I have used several times for my daughter.

Hi DaisyDuck1,

1. Nice handle :cloud9:
2. It figures that the Polynesian resort is one that we don't plan on visiting when we return to WDW next year. Yes, now that you mention it I do recall using that one with my DD last year when we went there for the Aloha dinner. I seem to recall needing to take an elevator from the lobby up to the floor immediately above (I think that's right).
3. While we really enjoyed the Aloha dinner, it will be a long time before we (my special needs DD and I) return. The seating is like long sets of picnic tables. We were directed to sit at the extreme right of the stage so I placed my DD where she was facing the stage leaving me to sit with my back towards the stage and my front facing my DD across the table. This was not comfortable and I either had to twist my body / neck from that sitting position to see the show and ignore my DD or vice versa. I called and understand that this is not the type of seating for the Hoop D Doo review so we will be trying to make reservations for that snow for next year.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter