Companion Bathroom Locations At WDW Resorts - Updated Per Disney 25-AUG-2011

Don't know if Disney would do this but...whenever we attend wedding receptions in large hotels (and also small ones now that I think of it) they give us a room key to an unoccupied room with an accessible bathroom for the evening. Disney might not but they might open an available room for you to use. Just a thought.
At AKL we were told we could use the companion room at the Club Level Lounge before our room was ready. However when we needed it, couldn't find that CM and others wouldn't let us. I eventually took my son to the Women's Changing Room by the pool as there was a large enough stall near the front. Just put a towel over his head and we went for it! :-)
Thanks for all the info and advocacy....

Dan check your PM for the names of contact persons to email about Disability Issues

I have the same issue as a single Mom to DS(19). he has Autism and CP and though he can toilet alone, I can't trust him alone in a men's restroom. I have been allowed to use the employee restroom at TL. I suppose it is easier to take a Boy into the ladies room, usually I have him cover his eyes and we rush to the HC stall in his wheelchair with my best apologetic look and lots of "sorrys" to the occupants. usually met with understanding looks from other adult women, but sometimes rude comments from teenage girls. I know this does not work in your situation, maybe call the resorts and ask if they have a way to help you? good luck and let us know what you find out.

Hi krisnme,

Where is / what is 'TL'? Is that the acronym used here for the Treehouse Lodge?

Thank you.

Dan

Hi krisnme,

Where is / what is 'TL'? Is that the acronym used here for the Treehouse Lodge?

Thank you.

Dan
I'm sure it's not the Treehouses because there are no buildings there that are open to the public, other than people staying there.

I'm quite certain she means Typhoon Lagoon.
According to Cheshire Figment and the WDW website, there is a Companion Restroom at Typhoon Lagoon immediately outside the Typhoon Lagoon turnstiles, in line with the ticket booths.

5. I requested that Disney consider a single page on their web site simply listing the location of each and every companion washroom at all areas of the 43 acres that is WDW (I should have asked for same re DL, ED, etc.). Dawn thought that was a good idea yet her position didn't allow her to create the listing. She indicated she would pass it on to the ADA Compliance office of WDW. I asked her if she or the folks in the WDW ADA Coompliance office could get back to me when a decision is made.
There is a list of the Companion Restroom at the parks for WDW On the main page for Guests with Disabilities:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/#RESTROOMS

This is the link to that main page and the Restroom link is in the overview list:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plain-text/

They do not have a list of Companion Restroom outside the parks, but this restroom link would be a logical place to add it.

I THINK they do not want it to be too easy for general guests to find the list because many guests use them as Family Family Restrooms and they are not available for guests with special needs then.
There are times when we visit and ONLY use the Companion Restrooms inside First Aid because the Companion Restrooms are full of families ( there are lines) and people are not patient with guests who need more time.

I edited the first post in this thread to now be a listing of the non major and minor park locations I could think of and to summarize the information gathered in this thread.

As we learn more we can always edit it.

So far, its pretty bare at the moment:sad2:, but I am hopeful over time it will grow.:woohoo:

I hope that helps.

Dan

I edited the first post in this thread to now be a listing of the non major and minor park locations I could think of and to summarize the information gathered in this thread.

As we learn more we can always edit it.

So far, its pretty bare at the moment:sad2:, but I am hopeful over time it will grow.:woohoo:

I hope that helps.

Dan
I edited your first post to include a link to an existing page of Companion Restrooms, with pictures, that already had a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, post 3.
I also added a link to the Disney webpage for Guests with Disabilities - the specific part about Companion Restrooms. There was a link to that main page in the disABILITIES FAQs thread in post 3, but not a direct link to the restroom part.

I edited your first post to include a link to an existing page of Companion Restrooms, with pictures, that already had a link in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, post 3.
I also added a link to the Disney webpage for Guests with Disabilities - the specific part about Companion Restrooms. There was a link to that main page in the disABILITIES FAQs thread in post 3, but not a direct link to the restroom part.

You betcha! :thumbsup2

Sadly, the list looks pretty bare right now.

Lot's of work ahead of us.

Dan

I "think" the info about DTD is not correct (forgive me, my brain is still half asleep).

Downtown Disney
-----Next to the Art of Disney / Make A Shirt Shop :thumbsup2
-----Next to Guest Services
-----Behind the Toy Store

"Next to Guest Services" may be referring to the one "Behind the Toy Store", since Guest Services used to be located right next to the Toy Store (with the bathroom in between).

But unless there is a Companion Restroom in Giarelli's (sp) which I am pretty sure there is not since that is a tiny restroom-there is not a Companion Restroom next to Guest Services.

On one side of GS is the Mickey Sports store and on the other is the Glass shop. If you keep going past the Sports store, DVC stand, and clothing store-you do reach a Companion restroom as that is the old location of Guest Services.

So I think DTD is getting "credit" for a Companion restroom it doesn't have.

I "think" the info about DTD is not correct (forgive me, my brain is still half asleep).

Downtown Disney
-----Next to the Art of Disney / Make A Shirt Shop :thumbsup2
-----Next to Guest Services
-----Behind the Toy Store

"Next to Guest Services" may be referring to the one "Behind the Toy Store", since Guest Services used to be located right next to the Toy Store (with the bathroom in between).

But unless there is a Companion Restroom in Giarelli's (sp) which I am pretty sure there is not since that is a tiny restroom-there is not a Companion Restroom next to Guest Services.

On one side of GS is the Mickey Sports store and on the other is the Glass shop. If you keep going past the Sports store, DVC stand, and clothing store-you do reach a Companion restroom as that is the old location of Guest Services.

So I think DTD is getting "credit" for a Companion restroom it doesn't have.

Hi Livndisney :)
I removed the 'Next to Guest Services' in the post 1 listing.

I hope you and yours are having a magical day :woohoo:
Dan

I have a list and pictures of the Downtown Disney ones, but work and home life have prevented me from getting it all together ( which is why the Companion Restroom thread I started did not get finished YET).

I think that the one listed for Downtown Disney by Guest Relations is a different report of the same one as behind the Toy store.

Also, if you go by the maps for Guests with Disabilities, the Epcot one has an error. They left off the restroom by Canada and added one behind the UK. I think the one listed behind the UK may be one that I remember was in the Millenium Village area. This was used for the year 2000 celebrations and also for som special events. It is normally behind a locked Gaye, so is not available.

I have a list and pictures of the Downtown Disney ones, but work and home life have prevented me from getting it all together ( which is why the Companion Restroom thread I started did not get finished YET).

I think that the one listed for Downtown Disney by Guest Relations is a different report of the same one as behind the Toy store.

You mean you don't LIVE for the Dis LOL

What I am wondering is about the "Behind the Toy Store" language. I will run over to satisify my own curiousity, but I "thought" there was a Companion/Family (other than a "regular") restroom IN the Toy Store. That restroom could be described as "behind" the Toy Store. Then by a stretch the one in between the Toy Store and the "new" Guest Services would be "next" to GS.

I would not describe the restroom in between the Toy Store and the building that houses GS (as well as many shops) as "next" to Guest Services. But I can't think of where one "next" to Guest Services could be.

You mean you don't LIVE for the Dis LOL

What I am wondering is about the "Behind the Toy Store" language. I will run over to satisify my own curiousity, but I "thought" there was a Companion/Family (other than a "regular") restroom IN the Toy Store. That restroom could be described as "behind" the Toy Store. Then by a stretch the one in between the Toy Store and the "new" Guest Services would be "next" to GS.

I would not describe the restroom in between the Toy Store and the building that houses GS (as well as many shops) as "next" to Guest Services. But I can't think of where one "next" to Guest Services could be.

If there is one inside the Toy Store, I have not seen it. If you find it, picture please.:thumbsup2

The one I would describe as behind the Toy Store is back towards the parking lot between Once Upon a Toy and TrenD. You kind of walk back toward the parking lot from Buzz Lightyear and you can't miss the restroom area. The Companion Restroom door is between the door to the men's and ladies' room, so you may not even see the door with all the people.
It looks like the door to a closet. That Companion restroom is small and quite noisy. It has a louvered door so most of the sound from outside comes inside.

If there is one inside the Toy Store, I have not seen it. If you find it, picture please.:thumbsup2

The one I would describe as behind the Toy Store is back towards the parking lot between Once Upon a Toy and TrenD. You kind of walk back toward the parking lot from Buzz Lightyear and you can't miss the restroom area. The Companion Restroom door is between the door to the men's and ladies' room, so you may not even see the door with all the people.
It looks like the door to a closet. That Companion restroom is small and quite noisy. It has a louvered door so most of the sound from outside comes inside.

YES! That is the one the "used" to be next to GS. GS "used" to be behind Trend D(or whatever that store is called this week LOL).

SO I think you and I are thinking of the same place. And yes I would describe that one as "behind" the Toy Store as "next" to GS would be a stretch.

I will see what I can find out about the restroom in the Toy Store. I remember it as being "different" than most.

Companion Restroom inside Cosmic Rays at MK in Tomorrowland:
PA271689.JPG

[/IMG]

I just checked the WDW Disabilities Guide for MK here and this Companion Restroom is still not there:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me...yWorld/en_us/PDF/mk-disability-guide-2010.pdf

So, very good to know especially, at least for us, its our favourite restaurant in MK........quick service prices yet great tasting and value meals.

Thank you SueM. :flower3:

I wonder if it is on the list provided by the first aid station yet?

Dan

There IS a Companion Restroom IN the Toy Store!!!! So DTD has another companion restroom. It is located across the hall from the "regular" restrooms in Once Upon a Toy. But even better is the "regular" restrooms are just like the companion restroom. (Atleast the Women's is-I'm sure you will forgive me for not barging in and taking pics of the Men's restroom :blush:.). They are single toilet rooms with handrails (and changing tables).

The restrooms are located off the video game room. I have pics I will post.

So the list for DTD

Near the Make A Tee
Between Once Upon a Toy and the Stroller rentals.
In Once Upon a Toy

There IS a Companion Restroom IN the Toy Store!!!! So DTD has another companion restroom. It is located across the hall from the "regular" restrooms in Once Upon a Toy. But even better is the "regular" restrooms are just like the companion restroom. (Atleast the Women's is-I'm sure you will forgive me for not barging in and taking pics of the Men's restroom :blush:.). They are single toilet rooms with handrails (and changing tables).

The restrooms are located off the video game room. I have pics I will post.

So the list for DTD

Near the Make A Tee
Between Once Upon a Toy and the Stroller rentals.
In Once Upon a Toy

There is our super sleuth, LivnDisney! :cloud9: She seeks out and finds them all! :3dglasses

Thank you from all of us so much!
Dan

Hi All,
I heard back again this evening from Guest Services and have updated companion washroom locations at 6 specific resorts which I specifically asked about on the very first posting in this thread.

For all of them, the answer is 'None'.

Two are very surprising to me:
  • Boardwalk Inn / Villas - they want people to visit the more than dozen shops and restaurants on the Boardwalk, including guests not staying at the Inn / Villa
  • Animal Kingdom Lodges - Again, very surprising to me with all of the intentional public viewing areas of the animals

As well, I was told that my request for a one page listing of the companion washrooms at WDW non-Park locations (Resorts, DTD, etc.) will not be met and no such listing will be provided to the general public at this time (perhaps because they are embarrassed that there are so few and don't want to have this raised as an issue to them by others?:confused3 )

I am told (but of course will not be able to verify at all) that one good thing has come out of this.

I am told that at the resorts' next staff meetings that the topic of companion washrooms and the proper procedure will be raised and reminded to the resort staff. Yes, a very, very IMO minor victory yet if it helps us receive a more rapid response from WDW resort CM's when we ask it will help.

For those with special needs family members or with special needs themselves, we know that we take any minor victories.

I just hope that when DD and I show up for our two weeks next April / May that the CM's we actually ask at the different resorts should DD have a need will remember what to do and not give us blank stares, etc.

And, please keep updating other resorts once you find out the location, or non-location, of companion washroom facilities and SueM and I will update the first posting's listing.

Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter