Companies adding surcharges due to material shortages

Gitelfor

DIS Veteran
With continuing material shortages, companies are adding surcharges to their final prices, without notice. Sherwin Williams is adding a 4% “supply chain charge,” when customers check out. I wonder if most customers even notice the additional charge.

Supply chain surcharges are popping up

With continuing material shortages, companies are adding surcharges to their final prices, without notice. Sherwin Williams is adding a 4% “supply chain charge,” when customers check out. I wonder if most customers even notice the additional charge.

Supply chain surcharges are popping up
I don't like the idea of a separate surcharge, especially one that isn't posted before you get to check out. Rising prices are a reality though and for whatever reason, I'm prepared to pay the posted price for things I buy or sometimes I go without, if the price is too high. I would prefer the shelf-price just be adjusted to reflect whatever the input costs are.

Cost control is an absolute crazy nightmare right now for retailers and other businesses whose final product relies on third-party goods and services. I work for a residential construction company and I cannot even adequately explain the challenges it presents in pricing. Sign a contract to build a house 10 months ago and it would have been based on the input pricing current at the time. It takes about 7-9 months to build and over that time commodity/labour pricing goes through the roof; the contract doesn't allow for incidental price increases. So margins on those houses go into the red and prices for subsequent houses go up accordingly. If by some miracle commodity and or labour prices go down, there's profit to be made. Unfortunately, the prices can't be adjusted for either party in real-time.

Restaurants are doing it as well. It is too expensive to reprint menus as the particular shortages and corresponding price increases shift on a monthly to weekly basis.

Instead they are posting large visible signs in the restaurant that todays surcharge is x%. That way it can be easily adjusted up, down, or removed as the current market conditions dictate.

Maybe we can also get our average gas price up to $7 or so a gallon to match the average in most of Europe. That would put California and Hawaii at around $10 a gallon. Glad I still primarily work from home and my wife is driving electric.

That stinks but really stood out was that he was buying his rollers and brushes there. Talk about a mark-up.
I was going to paint this winter and I get my paint there, which isn't cheap so now I might have to look elsewhere for it.

Here's an explanation of the overall problem in a simple, easy to understand, chart -- producer prices to retailers (across all industries) are increasing faster than retail prices. The obvious result is lower profit margins.

Keep in mind that increasing employee costs to the retailer are NOT included in these figures. These producer prices are simply what the retailer is paying for the products they are selling and don't include any of their other costs of doing business.

https://www.axios.com/inflation-pro...ngs-c000810b-cc28-4eac-9501-1a684ccb976d.html

Last edited:
i haven't noticed any surcharges but i AM seeing many more businesses passing on their cost of processing credit cards to the consumers. pre-pandemic i only really encountered a surcharge for credit card use with larger purchases through companies that provide a higher cost service (contractors-paint, flooring, construction) but more recently i'm seeing my pest service, yard service and other lower dollar per service companies have put notices on their billing statements that credit card payments will incur a percentage fee (most common is 3%).

I went to import a blu ray from amazon.co.uk about a week ago. The shipping costs alone cost as much as the product I wanted to buy, so I didn't buy it. The supply chain issues are terrible right now.

i haven't noticed any surcharges but i AM seeing many more businesses passing on their cost of processing credit cards to the consumers. pre-pandemic i only really encountered a surcharge for credit card use with larger purchases through companies that provide a higher cost service (contractors-paint, flooring, construction) but more recently i'm seeing my pest service, yard service and other lower dollar per service companies have put notices on their billing statements that credit card payments will incur a percentage fee (most common is 3%).
Somebody has to foot the bill for those rewards you get back.

I think my only concern with an across the board surcharge is a lot of the inventory stores are charging it on was purchase long before price hikes so they are getting a windfall. Sure, raise the price of an item, when you sell out your stock, but not before.
Some of us are old enough to remember 1971 when President Nixon ordered an across the board freeze on prices and wages.

With surcharges, I don't get the upset because consumers are in no way obligated to accommodate these fees. Businesses can charge whatever they want, it doesn't mean consumers will pay it ESPECIALLY when it comes to luxury items like restaurant foods etc when they can simply opt out. Pricing is a dance between sellers and buyers which forces things into place, how is it the people who write these articles don't know this? I read this stuff lately and it sounds like a presentation of fact, a foregone conclusion, umm nope, that's not how it works. I suspect some naive business owners, like restaurants, might jump in on the bandwagon for a quick buck but unless what you are selling is extraordinary the customer is going to do a quick tally to decide if the thing is worth the upcharge or not. This quick assessment happens every single time we evaluate what we will buy ($4 bread or $1 bread) and if you are on the wrong side of that assessment the once loyal customer is gone.

Things will all come out in the wash but if I owned a business I would resist the urge to jump on the bandwagon & endure the loss considering it an investment. Other businesses don't up their prices every day to make you look more attractive so throw in some perks (free curbside or whatever) while other's are removing them and it's an easy way to stand out.

The perspective I am reading lately is simply absurd.

Back when I was a kid, gas stations had a cash and credit price. It looks like these are coming back too.
Never left in California. Decades ago (1982) ARCO dumped credit cards altogether. Their business model was gasoline is their loss leader, and if you bought a soda or chips or cookies in the store, they were making money. This year, they resumed taking credit cards, but using plastic will cost you a dime a gallon more.

The fine-print of most credit-card processing agreements state that the merchant is not allowed to charge a credit surcharge; they can cancel the contract for that particular transgression. (What the merchant CAN do, of course, is offer a discount for cash. No prohibition on that.)

Debit card transactions are supposed to be treated same as cash.

One of the many difficulties with these discussions is that they tend to focus on minutia like the price of specific items like bread, heating fuel, and surcharges for things -- and not on the overall economy.

There are several massive underlying economic issues that are causing all of these little nickel/dime dings that the average consumer barely notices.
  • There is massive demand for all sorts of things, from airline tickets to peanuts, for a variety of reasons. The cost of stuff is determined by supply and demand, and right now we have massive demand. That creates shortages, supply chain disruptions, and higher prices.
  • Probably the biggest driver of demand is the enormous amount of money various parts of the US Government have poured into the economy to prevent a terrible recession/depression due to Covid. The US Government has already put about $8 TRILLION into the economy -- $4 Trillion in various forms already passed by Congress and paid out to the American people, and another $4 Trillion in financial stimulus from the Federal Reserve to the financial infrastructure of the country.
    • This does NOT count either the proposed $1.9 Trillion "Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill" or the proposed $3.5 Trillion additional stimulus package being considered by Congress right now.
    • It also does not included additional financial stimulus planned by the Federal Reserve as they gradually slow their monthly purchases to a stop, starting this month or next.
  • There are two massive pools of unused assets held by consumers.
    • One is time -- personal time off accrued during the pandemic that could not be used. That creates a huge backlog of wanted, but untaken, vacations which will be taken in coming months. Translation: huge demands on vacation lodging of all types, cruise availability, flight demand, and other travel/vacation spending.
    • The other is money -- Much of the stimulus money paid to American families during the pandemic was not spent because it could not be spent. With lockdowns, restrictions, etc, there was simply nothing to spend money ON. The US savings rate grew substantially, not because of frugality but also because of lack of opportunity to spend money.
And then there is the cost side of the equation. All of the above is creating additional demand at the same time as workers are reluctant to return to work, want to change jobs, or are not willing to work under the same salary/benefits/working conditions as pre-pandemic. That drives employment costs up.

Businesses are also being squeezed by higher prices of goods, as shown in the chart in a previous post. So they have little option but to increase revenue in whatever manner they can -- price increases, surcharges for certain things like credit card payment or delivery, etc. etc.

This whole discussion is not simply about little "supply chain surcharge" or a fee for credit card purchases. Those are results, not causes.

Never left in California. Decades ago (1982) ARCO dumped credit cards altogether. Their business model was gasoline is their loss leader, and if you bought a soda or chips or cookies in the store, they were making money. This year, they resumed taking credit cards, but using plastic will cost you a dime a gallon more.

That's been an option for individual station owners for several years. I specifically remember one that accepted credit cards at the same prices for years, but then discontinued that.

But in California the cash vs credit/debit prices have been around for maybe at least 30 years. There are some variations, such as supermarkets with gas stations where it's a cash/debit price vs credit. I remember when Safeway had a discount for Safeway Club Card members (with no additional discount for cash/debit), but they discontinued it. There were claims that they were selling fuel below cost as a loss leader to get people into their stores, although Safeway denied that their ending of the discount was related.

The discount program was challenged by an independent gas station owner in Dixon, who claimed Safeway was engaging in illegal price-cutting designed to hurt smaller competitors. The suit relied on a state law that prohibits companies from reducing prices below costs with an intent to harm competition, said James Dombroski, lawyer for the station owner.​
An analysis of Safeway records showed that its gas prices, including the 3-cent discount, were below its costs of obtaining and selling the product, Dombroski said.​
"Safeway surveys its competitors twice a day and uses it to price gasoline at each station," he said.​
On May 7, Alameda County Superior Court Judge Wynne Carvill issued an injunction prohibiting Safeway from using the club card discount to sell gas below cost at its Dixon store. The case was heard in Alameda County because Safeway headquarters are in Pleasanton.​

I've seen all sorts of added fees before. I worked in the shipping industry as a college/summer job and I remember such things as fuel surcharges when the price of fuel jumped up. I've been to restaurants where there are "Healthy Cities" surcharges where the restaurant passes on a municipal requirement for employee health insurance. This stuff isn't really all that uncommon.

I learned recently about the buy now pay later (BNPL) fintechs. Basically, the plan is that you pay zero interest over 6 weeks, and the pay 4 installment payments. The vendor that incurs a fee. I looked at one vendor, and they're charging a 6% fee.

The usage of BNPL is up triple digits since the pandemic started. As consumers we are also likely feeling the impact of these additional charges being paid by the vendor even if we don't BNPL.

That's been an option for individual station owners for several years. I specifically remember one that accepted credit cards at the same prices for years, but then discontinued that.

But in California the cash vs credit/debit prices have been around for maybe at least 30 years. There are some variations, such as supermarkets with gas stations where it's a cash/debit price vs credit. I remember when Safeway had a discount for Safeway Club Card members (with no additional discount for cash/debit), but they discontinued it. There were claims that they were selling fuel below cost as a loss leader to get people into their stores, although Safeway denied that their ending of the discount was related.

The discount program was challenged by an independent gas station owner in Dixon, who claimed Safeway was engaging in illegal price-cutting designed to hurt smaller competitors. The suit relied on a state law that prohibits companies from reducing prices below costs with an intent to harm competition, said James Dombroski, lawyer for the station owner.​
An analysis of Safeway records showed that its gas prices, including the 3-cent discount, were below its costs of obtaining and selling the product, Dombroski said.​
"Safeway surveys its competitors twice a day and uses it to price gasoline at each station," he said.​
On May 7, Alameda County Superior Court Judge Wynne Carvill issued an injunction prohibiting Safeway from using the club card discount to sell gas below cost at its Dixon store. The case was heard in Alameda County because Safeway headquarters are in Pleasanton.​
I'm confused. I buy gas at Safeway with my Club card and still get a 10 cent a gallon discount, which is usually about a penny a gallon more than ARCO.

LOL.

You do realize that all happened in 2012...right?

Back when I was a kid, gas stations had a cash and credit price. It looks like these are coming back too.

They have been here for at least a decade. There is one place though that doesnt do that so I try to fill up there, but at almost $4 a gallon it still hurts the wallet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter