Communication Disorders and switching majors

Discussion in 'The College Board' started by Megster, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. Megster

    Megster Mouseketeer<br><font color="red">Missed all the go

    Jul 9, 2001
    I'm a pre-vet major right now at UNH. I'm finishing my freshman year and I'm looking into classes for next year. I have been thinking more and more about switching my major to communication disorders. I've always been interested in speech pathology and speech development in children.

    I guess Im wondering if any of you guys are majoring in something similar to to this. Do you like it? What are planning to do when you graduate? Switching majors seems so daunting, but I don't want to keep doing something when I know I"m not truly happy. Any input you have would be so helpful. Thanks!
  2. kandeebunny

    kandeebunny DIS Veteran

    Mar 13, 2005
    you don't really have to switch majors to do this YET! Try taking a communications course as an elective and see what ya think! College is the time to try these things out. Plus we get...what 36 electives credits for our degrees? So take a comm class this fall and see what you think BEFORE you switch majors, while in the class talk to the professor, ask them all those questions they should be more than willing to help!
  3. DisTeach

    DisTeach Mouseketeer

    Jan 5, 2005
    That sounds like a cool major, but (just like with vets) you need to go get a doctorate to practice speech pathology at most reputable institutions/organizations. I'm sure it is still science intensive, but you must take human development courses as well. I'm English Ed. down at Rivier College in Nashua, and i can't say I've heard of a communication disorders program anywhere, so if you want to stay at UNH and do that program, I'd go for it!

Share This Page