College Program Parents Thread...

Discussion in 'The College Board' started by ro80, Apr 22, 2008.

1. AARCLUKSCH

AARCLUKSCH Mouseketeer

Thank you so much. She is very excited and so are we for her!!!

2. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Sometime in August I believe.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Disney Khaleesi

Disney Khaleesi DIS Veteran

Typically around late August.

5. ::Snow_White::

::Snow_White:: DIS Veteran

To answer a few questions above.

Definitely have your DD check out jobs at Universal, my friend didn't get extended past her CP last Spring and was hired at Universal within a month. She can also check on 3rd parties at Disney Springs like Splitsville. Then in 6 months apply for a random job listing on the site (if one she wants isn't listed), go in for the interview and let them know what roles you actually want. My friend loves working at Universal, however.

The new CP rule about not giving away shifts is THE WORST. For CPs and for PT. I'm glad that I finished my CPs before it happened. I get why...kind of, but I think it's a bit ridiculous. I've only heard of a handful of people not actually going to work ever. You can still give away shifts but they have to be approved my a manager and since CPs are bottom of the totem pole the days they put in for family vacations are probably already taken by PT and FT. And of course, now PT can't get those CP shifts.

Getting college credit is pretty hard for the CP, especially if the college already has prior dealings. I did merchandise and wasn't able to get credit for anything (digital tech major). Some kids from my school ended up in custodial at one point before I did the CP and the school let them get credits then learned they were "just picking up garbage" (their words, not mine) and so the school probably became a lot tougher. I personally had to remain a FT student while on my program in order to keep my scholarships for the remainder of the year so I took 4 online classes. Only 1 actually applied to my major, but it would've cost me more to lose my scholarships and I wasn't allowed to take a leave. It's not fun, but Disney does offer a time (check book at checkin) where you can pick a day and time not to be scheduled to work on classwork.

6. FantasyElf16

FantasyElf16 Chase The Wind & Touch The Sky

I know this is for parents but I was hoping to get some info on the baking program. Does anyone have a son or daughter that has applied or is currently in the program now? Thank you in advance.

7. jbh275

jbh275 Love VGC

Can you CP as a Gap year? My son is very interested in doing some kind of Gap year. Which I'm totally on board with. Gives him another year to grow up a little bit before starting college. He might just head to DW to work for a year, but I think working through a college might be the best way to go, however, if he's fresh out of high school, I'm not sure it's an option.

8. SureAsLiz

SureAsLiz DIS Veteran

From the CP requirements page:
    Students must be currently enrolled and taking classes at an accredited program or institution and have completed at least one semester OR have graduated within the past six months.

9. Jules76126

Jules76126 Practically Perfect in Every Way

They used to offer the career start program for kids right out of high school, but not sure if that is still an option. I also know friends who did the program the spring of their freshman year of college.