College Program Parents Thread...

That's great news!! It is so hard to decide what to do when they are miserable! But, they really do have to give it a chance. My dd did not like her job too much in the beginning but she stayed with it and loves it now and hopes she can return to it in the spring when she gets back from Disney. I have a feeling we may run into an issue with my dd when she goes to Disney. We are a very close knit family but we will visit some and our ds will be close by and will probably get that way (or maybe she will be able to go see him when she has a couple of days off). He will be in Sarasota. What job did your dd get? I can't remember if you said already.

My DD is working at the Electric Umbrella. She is not really jazzed about it because they have her working in the back of the house cooking even though her paperwork says she is supposed to be front of the house. Apparently they train them in all positions so they have more flexibility with the scheduling. I hope this is the case. She is a very sociable, bright, cheery person and being stuck behind the scenes will make her miserable. She is holding on to the hope that once she gets to the front and they see how well she interacts with guests, they will see that is the best place for her. Fingers crossed!

Hi all:thumbsup2

Just wanted to apologise to Traveliz, bethp1968 & ::snow white:: - thank you all for your replies to my post, I read them all and just realised I didn't thank you for taking the time to reply - most rude of me - so sorry!:blush:

But thank you - they were really helpful. My brother started work on a food cart at the entrance to World Showcase yesterday:)

No problem:) Hope your brother in enjoying his time. My DD will find out by the end of the week if she got her extension and if so, will be staying until January. She loves it that much:)

My DD is working at the Electric Umbrella. She is not really jazzed about it because they have her working in the back of the house cooking even though her paperwork says she is supposed to be front of the house. Apparently they train them in all positions so they have more flexibility with the scheduling. I hope this is the case. She is a very sociable, bright, cheery person and being stuck behind the scenes will make her miserable. She is holding on to the hope that once she gets to the front and they see how well she interacts with guests, they will see that is the best place for her. Fingers crossed!

My D is at Sunset Ranch Market in Studios. There are 4 or 5 different places she is being trained. Her first night was spent washing dishes and cooking burgers and fries. She was so upset! She was in tears on break. Since then she has spent time in 3 kitchens but also worked registers and food presentation. They were over-staffed one day and she got to greet customers with a Mickey hand- she loved that! Hopefully your DD will get to try front areas soon. These first few weeks are so hard no matter what. Mine did say she now appreciates how hard it is and that many people wash dishes for a living! That is an awesome lesson for all of our kids to learn-I keep reminding mine that she is at least washing dishes at Disney! ;)

My D is at Sunset Ranch Market in Studios. There are 4 or 5 different places she is being trained. Her first night was spent washing dishes and cooking burgers and fries. She was so upset! She was in tears on break. Since then she has spent time in 3 kitchens but also worked registers and food presentation. They were over-staffed one day and she got to greet customers with a Mickey hand- she loved that! Hopefully your DD will get to try front areas soon. These first few weeks are so hard no matter what. Mine did say she now appreciates how hard it is and that many people wash dishes for a living! That is an awesome lesson for all of our kids to learn-I keep reminding mine that she is at least washing dishes at Disney! ;)
What is your daughters name? My DD works on Sunset also. At Rosies, Scoops, Starring Rolls, . She has been trained on all the positions, but is usually the expediter. She loves it there and has applied for extension (which would keep here as a CP until Jan). and full/part time.

My advice would be to give it time. My daughter is working at DHS at Pizza Planet. She was trained in all things - behind and front of house. They have been putting her mostly in front of house as she is really good at guest interaction (major is special ed so she is terrific with any special needs kids). I am sure they will see that at the Electric Umbrella soon! Only downside for my daughter is that her feet are KILLING her when working the register for 10 straight hours. Hoping when the inlaws visit in July they take her to the Good Feet store for some custom inserts. She has flat feet (diagnosed) and needs something more than the Walmart inserts.

HOpe someone can answer this because my daughter and I are trying to figure it out for sure.

She said she has to move out on Jan. 5th from the Fall regular program. I asked her if it is definite ON or BY.. Do they give you a few days to get moved out? Or is it just one day that all the students move out...on the 5th? Thanks

Also, so I was kind of excited because we will be there for the taping of the Christmas parade but now I'm guessing the MK will be a blackout date for those taping days. Does anyone know for sure?

Really leaning toward getting an AP but hate to do that when we get the 6 days free.

HOpe someone can answer this because my daughter and I are trying to figure it out for sure.

She said she has to move out on Jan. 5th from the Fall regular program. I asked her if it is definite ON or BY.. Do they give you a few days to get moved out? Or is it just one day that all the students move out...on the 5th? Thanks********

They have to be moved completely out by the date they give you. My daughter did the college program (best thing ever, she loved it!) and we had to have her completely OUT by the date they gave her.

She said she has to move out on Jan. 5th from the Fall regular program. I asked her if it is definite ON or BY.. Do they give you a few days to get moved out? Or is it just one day that all the students move out...on the 5th? Thanks********

They have to be moved completely out by the date they give you. My daughter did the college program (best thing ever, she loved it!) and we had to have her completely OUT by the date they gave her.

So, she could possibly move out before the 5th, then? Just wondering what will be the earliest she will be able to or if it comes down to when they have her scheduled to work.

So, she could possibly move out before the 5th, then? Just wondering what will be the earliest she will be able to or if it comes down to when they have her scheduled to work.

She can move out anytime she wants to or has the time to....she is just responsible for her rent until that date and has to be out by that date..but she can move out whenever she wants to based on her work schedule :)

She can move out anytime she wants to or has the time to....she is just responsible for her rent until that date and has to be out by that date..but she can move out whenever she wants to based on her work schedule :)

Thanks so much! We are just trying to get some plans figured out. I'm sure they will all be working at least through the new year since it is the busiest time but this does help in that maybe she can move out within a few days earlier of the 5th date. I sure hope she likes it. She got Full Service Food and Beverage. I've heard mostly good things but have heard some bad things too. I know she would love getting a character dining location but she will take what she gets. We can't wait to find out what it is!

Also, if anyone could answer this, I would appreciate it as well. We will be in Sarasota moving our son in at Ringling College. Should we plan to drive on up the night before she checks in? I'm guessing that may be wise since they are saying they need to be at check in very early. We had thought about just driving up from Sarasota but we would have to leave extremely early and are worried we might get caught in traffic or something.

My DD LOVED her program!!! To this day, she's 26 now, she was down there 6 years ago - and she still calls it the best time of her life :cloud9:. She made life long friends who have become like family to us - in fact when we are there next month we are visiting with several of them :hug:

She learned lots of valuable life lessons, like a good strong work ethic, how to deal with the public, how to always be at work on time, she loved the diversity of your fellow cast members.

It was a wonderful experience - Jennie worked doing Attractions, she was at Dinosaur in Animal Kingdom.

Best of luck to her and if you think about it, let us know what location she gets to work in.

What is your daughters name? My DD works on Sunset also. At Rosies, Scoops, Starring Rolls, . She has been trained on all the positions, but is usually the expediter. She loves it there and has applied for extension (which would keep here as a CP until Jan). and full/part time.

My daughter's name is Hayley from UT Chattanooga.... She is starting her second week of training tomorrow. She will be there until January!

Does anyone know if there are blackout days in December for the maingate passes? My DH, DS and I are visiting our daughter December 20-27 and would like to go into the parks for a few days that week.

thanks

Block out dates have only been released through August as of right now. Below are the block out dates from last year. This year should be fairly similar.

Last year's block out dates for maingates were:

MK
Friday, December 6th & Saturday, December 7th
Friday, December 13th & Saturday, December 14th
Friday, December 20th – Tuesday, December 31st
Wednesday, January 1st – Saturday, January 4th

Epcot
Monday, December 23rd – Tuesday, December 31st

DHS
Monday, December 23rd – Tuesday, December 31st

AK
Monday, December 23rd – Monday, December 30th

Block out dates have only been released through August as of right now. Below are the block out dates from last year. This year should be fairly similar.

Thanks. Doesn't look like visiting over the holidays is going to work! Am assuming getting a resort using her discount will be next to impossible as well

I have a question about sun shade regulations at the DCP. My son has emailed to ask their rules on sunshades because he was looking into transitions lenses when he gets his eyes checked. Does anyone know if transitions are allowed? I have read that if you wear sunshades your eyes have to be visible and they have to be removed when talking to a guest. Have not been able to find anything about transition lenses.
Thanks in advance

Wow, no one answered? My son starts the program Aug 4 and is extremely nervous he will get something wrong. He has been practicing his shaving because up till now he has been using an electric razor and is not used to a blade razor. He will be working attractions but he does not know which one. He has already made friends with someone on facebook for a roomate so at least he will know 1 person already when he gets there. He is 21 and a Marketing major.
Just asked the sun glasses question because his eyes are extremely sensitive to the sun. We have already planned to make a couple of trips, one over Thanksgiving that is for his birthday as well, it is on the 29th. And a couple days over Christmas. Any incite or advice for him while in the program is really appreciated. Thanks again.

Wow, no one answered? My son starts the program Aug 4 and is extremely nervous he will get something wrong. He has been practicing his shaving because up till now he has been using an electric razor and is not used to a blade razor. He will be working attractions but he does not know which one. He has already made friends with someone on facebook for a roomate so at least he will know 1 person already when he gets there. He is 21 and a Marketing major.
Just asked the sun glasses question because his eyes are extremely sensitive to the sun. We have already planned to make a couple of trips, one over Thanksgiving that is for his birthday as well, it is on the 29th. And a couple days over Christmas. Any incite or advice for him while in the program is really appreciated. Thanks again.

My son checks in on August 11. He needs to wear sunglasses in the sun as well. He can get migraines if he goes too long in the bright sun without sunglasses. He has prescription sunglasses. He also has contacts and several regular sunglasses. Hopefully, we have all bases covered.

My son checks in on August 11. He needs to wear sunglasses in the sun as well. He can get migraines if he goes too long in the bright sun without sunglasses. He has prescription sunglasses. He also has contacts and several regular sunglasses. Hopefully, we have all bases covered.
My son was thinking about getting transition lenses but my husband had them once.......once. He hated them. They of course do not get dark when driving because the windshield takes the hit and not enough uv comes through to change the glasses, his didn't get very dark at all, and when they got cold they would sometimes change. He just went for new glasses so he will look at the attachable ones he can snap on and off his frames. He was told as long as they can see his eyes, they can not be mirrored or pitch black like some raybans. And if they are talking to anyone specific for any amount of time they are supposed to take them off anyway. They also said for glasses, and I guess this goes for sun glasses as well, no name on the side that stands out. So no logo's, designer names, etc. It's hard to find glasses anymore that does not have a name stamped on them but there are some where it is just stamped and no color difference so it does not stand out. It can't be one that is flashy, or stands out in any way.
Is your son already freaking? At first mine was "This is like a dream, I can't believe it." Now he is "What if I mess up." etc I told him he'll do fine. But also told him that he could have a great manager or get one that he does not like at all. It does not matter, he has to learn to work with anyone because any job is like that. I also told him if he gets an attraction he is not crazy over, he still has to give it his all. I have worked many jobs I absolutely hated getting up and going in to. (production line) It's a job and it is not always fun. He wants to eventually do marketing for the Disney company so hopefully this will give him at least a chance. He is taking a Disney marketing type class while he is there and will eventually try for an internship.
What is your son going to be working?

My son was thinking about getting transition lenses but my husband had them once.......once. He hated them. They of course do not get dark when driving because the windshield takes the hit and not enough uv comes through to change the glasses, his didn't get very dark at all, and when they got cold they would sometimes change. He just went for new glasses so he will look at the attachable ones he can snap on and off his frames. He was told as long as they can see his eyes, they can not be mirrored or pitch black like some raybans. And if they are talking to anyone specific for any amount of time they are supposed to take them off anyway. They also said for glasses, and I guess this goes for sun glasses as well, no name on the side that stands out. So no logo's, designer names, etc. It's hard to find glasses anymore that does not have a name stamped on them but there are some where it is just stamped and no color difference so it does not stand out. It can't be one that is flashy, or stands out in any way.
Is your son already freaking? At first mine was "This is like a dream, I can't believe it." Now he is "What if I mess up." etc I told him he'll do fine. But also told him that he could have a great manager or get one that he does not like at all. It does not matter, he has to learn to work with anyone because any job is like that. I also told him if he gets an attraction he is not crazy over, he still has to give it his all. I have worked many jobs I absolutely hated getting up and going in to. (production line) It's a job and it is not always fun. He wants to eventually do marketing for the Disney company so hopefully this will give him at least a chance. He is taking a Disney marketing type class while he is there and will eventually try for an internship.
What is your son going to be working?

He will be doing Quick Service Food and Beverage. It wasn't his first choice of roles, but he seems to be OK with it. He seemed more excited when he was first accepted. He is hoping to get assigned to either EPCOT or one of the resorts. He has 'met' all of his potential roomates online. He seems more excited about that part, probably because he goes to school in our hometown, so this will be his version of going away to school. One of his potential roomates ended up being a cousin of someone he went to high school with.

He talks more about what he will be doing on his off time than he does about the program. But, he is starting to get back into the excitement phase because we are starting the prep work for going down now. He got his own coffee maker for Easter, I went and got him new pillows, I took his car in yesterday to get it serviced so that it can make the trip down. I think it is becoming reality again. He is taking two summer classes so that is taking up some of his time. He quit working after summer started so that he could concentrate on his two classes and leave his free time to spend with his friends before he goes.

He hasn't started freaking out yet, but I think that is because he is the type of kid that doesn't start freaking out until the very end. I am expecting that to come out after we get down there. We are driving him down from central IL. He and I will be in his car, my wife and her sister will be in ours. We had originally planned on only staying a few days to help him get settled in and then heading back. But, because of the type of kid he is, we decided to stay the entire week. We will help him move in and do a grocery run. After that, my wife, her sister and I plan on lounging beside the pool at our resort, going to Universal Studios to check out the Harry Potter stuff, and taking it easy for the rest of the week. If he needs us, he can reach us. If not, we will all three be rested for the trip home.

Our daughter checks in on Aug. 11th also! :) I hope she will like what she gets assigned as well. I'm more concerned about the hours they may get. She is more of a morning person so I'm afraid she may get very late hours. She will be in FSFB. She just finished 2 summer classes and just started one more. She did it in hopes that she will be able to stay on track with graduation. She is taking one while down there. I'm guessing they work with them on their schedule so they can do that?! And I understood from her school that she will get credit for it so that's great. I think it will be a great class. Anyway, we will be there bright and early on the 11th! Not sure where we will stay the night before. We will be driving up from Sarasota, Fl from helping get our son moved in to college. Also, not sure whether to stay the night of the 11th. I figured they will be keeping them very busy but would love to see her at the end of the day if we are able.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter