College Enrollment Crisis due to Covid-19?

If I had college student in my house, we would definitely be having a gap year next year. Why pay the full tuition for online classes only? It seems to me that missing out on lab classes, practical hands on experience, extra curricular activities, etc. Will make it worth waiting a year and getting to the full experience and education later.

Where my son goes to college, you have to sign your apartment leases in September of the previous year. So not only are we paying for expensive rent for an apartment he hasn’t been in since the first week of March, we are on the hook for all next year as well. Good thing his tuition is almost free.

One resource we have used is Rate My Professor ( https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ ). We found quite a bit of very good information about classes and instructors there...with one caveat.

The caveat is that DD has not actually taken any classes from any of the people we researched, so we have no real way of knowing how accurate the ratings were. That said, we got the idea here on the DIS and people recommending it had good things to say.
My dd is just finishing out her freshman year online at our local community college. She ended up going there after my ex passed away the first day for her senior year. It ended up being a blessing in disguise with the pandemic. She has used https://www.ratemyprofessors.com for each for the 3 times she has signed up and only once has it steered her wrong. Even then it wasn't horrible. Her stat's teacher is good, just a little quirky and not the best about entering his grades. She plans on putting that in at the end of the class.

It has helped her find a wonderful Anatomy teacher that she has taken two courses with and signed up to take a Micro Biology course next fall (if they go back to campus). So it's definite worth a whirl.

I am a college professor, and much of what you see on ratemyprofessor is absolutely fake. There is no oversight on that website and anyone can submit a rating for anyone, as many times as they want. There are ratings on there for me for classes I've never taught in my career, with information in them that makes absolutely no sense in any way (for example, information about a lab I taught last year, when I haven't taught a lab in five years now). Some of it I think comes from disgruntled students who don't like me because they got caught cheating (I sit on my college's academic integrity board), and some of them I think just come from trolls who submit fake reviews for fun. This is true for every faculty member I know.

Thankfully we're optimistic since DD's school is saying they'll be back on campus.

As a college professor, I'd be skeptical of any college that is saying they'll be back on campus in the fall at this point. The decision day for freshmen admissions is this Friday (May 1st) for most schools, and I think lots of schools are saying that they'll be in person in the fall now to entice students to deposit. But the real truth is that we all don't know - it totally depends on the COVID situation in August. I think the only schools that are likely for sure to be online are the ones in states that are cutting social distancing short (TX, SC, GA, etc).

My institution is telling us to prepare for online instruction just in case, which is way better than when we had 3 days to prepare for it in March.

As a college professor, I'd be skeptical of any college that is saying they'll be back on campus in the fall at this point. The decision day for freshmen admissions is this Friday (May 1st) for most schools, and I think lots of schools are saying that they'll be in person in the fall now to entice students to deposit. But the real truth is that we all don't know - it totally depends on the COVID situation in August. I think the only schools that are likely for sure to be online are the ones in states that are cutting social distancing short (TX, SC, GA, etc).

My institution is telling us to prepare for online instruction just in case, which is way better than when we had 3 days to prepare for it in March.

Most CA universities and colleges, including the UC system, is saying they’ll take a wait and see approach. They are not committing to any kind of opening or any announcement by any date besides saying they’ll be ready to do online learning if needed.

Of course she could. On scholarship, if her school is online, that's what they'd have available for her. And the scholarship would cover that. But the question is what to do if you think online school for an additional full semester would be detrimental because of the specific courses taken. Taking English or history classes would be fine, but upper level Calculus and Physics (complete with labs) not so much. The question is whether it would be better to sit out a semester and wait to get back on campus. Would the scholarship "wait". And still cover all of the remaining semesters.

Thankfully we're optimistic since DD's school is saying they'll be back on campus.
I was thinking of an incoming freshman who still had a whole eight semesters of classes ahead. That person could pick-and-choose classes that would work out well online, knowing that he or she could take all those lab classes, etc. in later semesters.
I agree that this would put an upperclassman at a disadvantage.
Why are you unhappy? Your daughter could’ve stayed in her apartment, the kids in dorms were told to go home, dining halls were closed. We signed a lease for dd19 taking effect in June for a year. If classes are online in the fall, the university will refund those of campus for room and board, because they won’t be providing room and board. At her school, living off campus tends to save money because students on campus are required to have an expensive meal plan (thousands more than my other kids’ schools).
Unhappy's too strong a word -- irked is a better term; regardless, I'm irked or unhappy because when the university closed /went online, she came home -- but we're still paying for the apartment.

Yes, she could have stayed in the apartment, but why would she have made that choice? She isn't physically going to class, her roommate and literally all her friends all went home, she couldn't go out anywhere, and she doesn't have a job in her college town. She preferred to come home, where she's with me and her dad - and we're glad she's here. But we're still paying for the college-town apartment, which is fair -- we signed a lease. If she'd been in the dorms, we'd have been reimbursed. It's just an unfortunate situation.

You could argue that I'd be paying the same amount if she'd stayed in her college town, but that would be money paid for a service. Right now I'm paying for the apartment to sit empty.

I know people say that an apartment is cheaper, but it's definitely not true here -- not when you add in the apartment application fee, deposits for this and that, paying for the apartment year-round, utilities, and furnishing the place. Yes, food comes out cheaper, assuming the student cooks instead of eating out, but the overall cost is significantly higher.
Where my son goes to college, you have to sign your apartment leases in September of the previous year. So not only are we paying for expensive rent for an apartment he hasn’t been in since the first week of March, we are on the hook for all next year as well. Good thing his tuition is almost free.
Yeah, that's our situation as well. I know I'm fortunate that I'm able to work from home, but it stings to pay for a place she's not able to use.
I am a college professor, and much of what you see on ratemyprofessor is absolutely fake.
My daughters found it to be pretty accurate.
As a college professor, I'd be skeptical of any college that is saying they'll be back on campus in the fall at this point.
I wish I could argue, but I fear you're right.

Last edited:
@MrsPete, I see you edited your room & board costs because I was about to ask you “what college is charging $4339/year for a dorm and $8143/year for a meal plan?”

I am a college professor, and much of what you see on ratemyprofessor is absolutely fake. There is no oversight on that website and anyone can submit a rating for anyone, as many times as they want.

We refer to it as BerateMyProfessor.com. Totally unmonitored, no oversight at all. Anyone can rate professors, and I've seen faculty submit multiple false responses just to get their ratings up. As with most things, if students are happy, they usually don't say much. When they are irked, they speak out loudly. Students get irked about foolish things (Why does he teach this at 8am? This guy looks evil with his beard but when he shaves he's just ugly. Prof gave me bad grades because I didn't answer in complete sentences but this isn't an English class. ETC) and give bad ratings accordingly.

I am waiting to see what/if the Chancellor's office posts tomorrow. We are on a "stay off campus" status until June 30, but the governor of our state just announced a 4-phase reopening of the state starting May 1. Will that effect the University, will we get back on campus sooner than 6/30? I don't know, I hope so because I have a bunch of work to do that can only be done on-campus. We are NOT offering chemistry labs this summer, and all lecture courses will be offered online. The Chancellor has published statements saying all the right things, that we are accepting students and will be having classes in the fall, that we are "Ready to GO." However, the faculty have been instructed to start planning for complete online/distance teaching, to plan for a split semester (starting online and finishing in person, and vice versa), and to plan for in-person classes. It's daunting, but the truth of the matter is, we just don't know. However, we have time to PREPARE for fall, instead of having 10 days' notice of needing to prepare online content for the remaining half of the semester. It's a ton of work, but at least we won't be caught unaware.

@MrsPete, I see you edited your room & board costs because I was about to ask you “what college is charging $4339/year for a dorm and $8143/year for a meal plan?”[/QUOTE]
Yes, I edited it because I went through what we spent, and then I thought I was too verbose.
NC schools are less expensive than schools in other parts of the country (but so are wages), and my girls attend one of the less expensive schools.
We refer to it as BerateMyProfessor.com. Totally unmonitored, no oversight at all. Anyone can rate professors,
That's typical of most internet sites.

Yes, I edited it because I went through what we spent, and then I thought I was too verbose.
NC schools are less expensive than schools in other parts of the country (but so are wages), and my girls attend one of the less expensive schools.
I’m still trying to figure out what colleges charge almost twice as much for the meal plan as they do for a dorm. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Oh, I'm not counting on anything. But we are in Missouri, and campus is in a county that has had just under 100 cases and 1 death. So thinking maybe they'll find a way to give this a go. It certainly wouldn't be the traditional format. Maybe a mix of alternating days with online days to spread students out.

I'm not sure how they would figure out the dorms, but I am grateful my daughter has a spot in a campus owned apartment with her own room and bathroom. She did her time last year in a double room, ending on the day this was all ramping up and I had to make an impromptu run to campus (2 hours away) to retrieve her from sharing a room with someone just diagnosed with flu and pneumonia.

And I certainly hope every school is telling professors to prepare for online instruction. Even the ones saying they plan to open this fall. Nobody knows what direction this is going and throwing things online last minute isn't good for anyone. They had no choice this semester. This fall they certainly do.

Last edited:

Same here. My daughter is moving from her 2019/20 apartment to her 2020/21 apartment in three weeks. Rents run from June 1 through May 30th. Just the way it is. And if you want a decent apartment, you MUST rent for the NEXT academic year no later than October 31st of the prior year. Crazy system. She will, however, be staying in her college town over the summer. Hopefully, she will be employed. LOL. She has interviewed for her "preferred" job (running a summer program at the town rec center....she's super well qualified for it so keeping my fingers crossed that they don't cancel the whole thing!), but will work at a factory which is ALWAYS hiring if not.

The University staff i know report pressure on those expensive tenured faculty to retire

if they are near retirement age they may need no pressure to retire. i believe three factors are going to cause large numbers of retirements among long term college instructors-

1. having to adapt their traditional face to face courses into on-line classes that they will have to line up precisely with their face to face courses in the event that a university has an outbreak and has to do a spur of the moment shut-down,

2. having in influx of freshman many of whom either lost out on or were provided with very lacking 4th quarter senior year educations,

3. coming face to face with another group of freshman whose entire high school educations have been under common core. this i believe will be the tipping point for many who were already finding it tremendously challenging to work with the initial batches and have been vocal regarding the challenges and difficulties. we saw a number of talented and experienced high school teachers retire out much earlier than they had planned after they struggled for a couple of years trying to work with their incoming common core students, now i hear the same concerns and early retirement plans at the college level.

if they are near retirement age they may need no pressure to retire. i believe three factors are going to cause large numbers of retirements among long term college instructors-

You are very right - at least 3 i know have already decided to retire. These are law faculty, so 2 & 3 werent an issue, but im sure 1 was
At least one was because his quarantine experience made him see what retired life could be like, and it wasnt as bad as he thought.

we have 3 universities and 2 community colleges near us. the 2 pricey privates both announced this week that they will be open for on campus classes this fall. the public university and the 2 cc's are taking a wait and see attitude. i think, at minimum, the next academic year could be very difficult.

Hopefully reduced enrollment and therefor income will force colleges to start reducing expenses and get rid of useless departments and administration. They have never been forced to tighten their belts. They just raise tuition.

I have an upcoming college freshmen who is set to attend a big SEC school but not the one I would have chosen #wareagle❤️! We are hoping all goes as planned and she moves in on August 5 and starts sorority recruitment a few days later. Both registration for recruitment and room selection take place at the beginning of May and so far both are still scheduled to go forward. There was great information on how her school plans to deal with the virus and how fall classes on campus are doable.

1. having to adapt their traditional face to face courses into on-line classes that they will have to line up precisely with their face to face courses in the event that a university has an outbreak and has to do a spur of the moment shut-down,

2. having in influx of freshman many of whom either lost out on or were provided with very lacking 4th quarter senior year educations,

3. coming face to face with another group of freshman whose entire high school educations have been under common core. this i believe will be the tipping point for many who were already finding it tremendously challenging to work with the initial batches and have been vocal regarding the challenges and difficulties. we saw a number of talented and experienced high school teachers retire out much earlier than they had planned after they struggled for a couple of years trying to work with their incoming common core students, now i hear the same concerns and early retirement plans at the college level.

But really is there a lot of learning that takes place in an average 4th quarter of senior year?

Daughter's in person education ended this year just as 4th quarter was ready to begin. She was already "done" with high school in her mind as many seniors are every year by Christmas.

4th quarter is often filled with reviewing for and taking AP exams, state testing, assemblies to discuss procedures for graduation, senior field day week, class parties, preparing for prom, awards day, seniors getting out a week early so that grades can be finalized, etc. So not a lot of new knowledge to miss.

She does not feel like she has missed out on education. Course work is still being done online with check ins with her teachers and AP exams will be very different on line this year. Grades will likely freeze at the end of 3rd term. She's missing all the fluff and fun of senior year. But that's all that is different.

Her 3 brothers who got the full experience of senior year were also "done" with high school by Christmas and I do not see daughter's experience of learning any different. They have all been successful in college without skipping a beat. I expect the same for daughter.

4th quarter is often filled with reviewing for and taking AP exams, state testing, assemblies to discuss procedures for graduation, senior field day week, class parties, preparing for prom, awards day, seniors getting out a week early so that grades can be finalized, etc. So not a lot of new knowledge to miss.

She does not feel like she has missed out on education. Course work is still being done online with check ins with her teachers and AP exams will be very different on line this year. Grades will likely freeze at the end of 3rd term. She's missing all the fluff and fun of senior year. But that's all that is different.

shows how much it differs school to school. here there are no senior field weeks or award days (scholarships are announced at graduation, no other awards to speak of). prom info is posted on the school website, posters up at school-no assembly to discuss, any committees would meet at lunch or after school hours. only party would be if an outside/non school affiliated parent group sponsored a grad night kind of thing (school won't take risk of liability). 4th quarter is the same for seniors as all other students except they finish a week early (for grades) and meet twice during that week for graduation practice. students are learning the final 25% of the subjects they are enrolled in.

the high school my kids graduated from jumped on the 'no ap' bandwagon a few years ago. if students want college credit they have 2 options-there are a number of general education classes that the high school offers in conjunction with one of the state universities so they take that class and get dual credit (called 'college in high school'), the other option is to do 'running start' and just take a prescribed curriculum at any of several of the universities and community colleges so you end up graduating high school with the equivalent of 2 years of college (general ed) completed (but designed to still keep the student technically an incoming freshman so they can avail themselves of scholarships).

it would be great if they could continue learning on-line but the reality is the districts were not prepared and internet is lacking in many of our rural areas-issues that the state has made a priority to address over the summer in anticipation of closures next school year (but now some districts are saying they have lost so much money due to the closures that there will have to be layoffs so who knows what if anything will get accomplished). i'm just glad my kiddos are done with all this stuff.

I was thinking of an incoming freshman who still had a whole eight semesters of classes ahead. That person could pick-and-choose classes that would work out well online, knowing that he or she could take all those lab classes, etc. in later semesters.
I agree that this would put an upperclassman at a disadvantage.
Unhappy's too strong a word -- irked is a better term; regardless, I'm irked or unhappy because when the university closed /went online, she came home -- but we're still paying for the apartment.

Yes, she could have stayed in the apartment, but why would she have made that choice? She isn't physically going to class, her roommate and literally all her friends all went home, she couldn't go out anywhere, and she doesn't have a job in her college town. She preferred to come home, where she's with me and her dad - and we're glad she's here. But we're still paying for the college-town apartment, which is fair -- we signed a lease. If she'd been in the dorms, we'd have been reimbursed. It's just an unfortunate situation.

You could argue that I'd be paying the same amount if she'd stayed in her college town, but that would be money paid for a service. Right now I'm paying for the apartment to sit empty.

I know people say that an apartment is cheaper, but it's definitely not true here -- not when you add in the apartment application fee, deposits for this and that, paying for the apartment year-round, utilities, and furnishing the place. Yes, food comes out cheaper, assuming the student cooks instead of eating out, but the overall cost is significantly higher.
Yeah, that's our situation as well. I know I'm fortunate that I'm able to work from home, but it stings to pay for a place she's not able to use.
My daughters found it to be pretty accurate.
I wish I could argue, but I fear you're right.
Room and board at my daughter’s university is almost $15,000, and she decided this year that she wanted to eat really healthy, so she was spending over $100 a month on groceries. Her share of a 6 bedroom townhouse is $700 a month, so she will break even spending $500 on food and utilities, but have so much mote room (has her own bedroom and shares a bathroom with one other girl, 5 1/2 baths total).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter