College Enrollment Crisis due to Covid-19?

Room and board at my daughter’s university is almost $15,000, and she decided this year that she wanted to eat really healthy, so she was spending over $100 a month on groceries. Her share of a 6 bedroom townhouse is $700 a month, so she will break even spending $500 on food and utilities, but have so much mote room (has her own bedroom and shares a bathroom with one other girl, 5 1/2 baths total).

at our local university it ranges from $7300-$9500 just for the room, dining plans run $4000-$5800. a nice one bedroom apartment w/washer&dryer, garbage & water included and a private locking garage runs $800 a month. broken down on a monthly cost it is so much less expensive (and they don't have to move out during winter break or the summer). the university shut down to do on-line for spring quarter before spring break-they are losing a fortune, and i suspect that IF they try to do on campus classes in the fall there will be some parents looking for an angle to get their kid out of the freshman dorming requirement (no way to social distance in those dorms).

For those college professors who posted about Rate My Professor, THANK YOU. I was leery of it, but had heard good things from a couple of parents.

I never pay attention to bad reviews on any website because anybody can post just about anything and only a handful of negatives can really mess up a rating.

Here's a pretty good article on students' views of next year from CNBC. We're not changing our plans, but the handful of anecdotes in the story explains some of the challenges students are facing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/28/students-are-dropping-out-of-college-because-of-coronavirus.html

i get their point but unless something is done to extend the zero interest/no payments on fed student loans the ones that opt to drop out will start having payments due 6 months after their last class ends.

We got an email today from Mizzou today reminding students that Friday is the last day they can back out of housing/dining contracts (with a penalty) and reiterating the fact that they plan to open with students on campus this fall.

Yes the #wareagle was for me! I love my child but I will never utter those other 2 words ever!!
In Florida, we have a variety of "House Divided" license tag frames -- UF/FSU, UF/UM, etc. I'm sure they have them for 'Bama/Auburn.

It's going to be interesting for you two if we have football in the Fall!

In Florida, we have a variety of "House Divided" license tag frames -- UF/FSU, UF/UM, etc. I'm sure they have them for 'Bama/Auburn.

It's going to be interesting for you two if we have football in the Fall!
I don't know what I will do if there is no college football!! I am hoping after this most recent press conference a few minutes ago with Dr. Fauci about this possible treatment that things will be even more hopeful!

Last edited:
I’m still trying to figure out what colleges charge almost twice as much for the meal plan as they do for a dorm. 🤷🏽‍♀️
You read wrong. You're looking at the dorm cost and the total-for-all cost.
And if you want a decent apartment, you MUST rent for the NEXT academic year no later than October 31st of the prior year. Crazy system.
Yes, it's the same here. My oldest started early and got a great place at a reasonable price, but my youngest had planned to stay in the dorms /didn't learn until too late that she "didn't make lottery", so she didn't apply in time and got a so-so apartment in a flood plane (which, fortunately, did not flood this year).
I suspect things'll be different next year -- people are suspicious of whether they're going back to school /will be slower to sign leases.
but will work at a factory which is ALWAYS hiring if not.
I worked in a factory one summer while I was in college. It was AWFUL, but I'm glad to have had that experience.
if they are near retirement age they may need no pressure to retire. i believe three factors are going to cause large numbers of retirements among long term college instructors-
I don't know if it's the same as high school teachers, but here's a not-so-obvious-to-the-public thing: Our retirement is based upon an average of our highest four years of salary, and we had been hoping we were on the verge of a fairly good raise (by that, I mean us old folks -- they've been lavishing money on the younger teachers /ignoring those of us who are nearing retirement). With the problems we're having now, it's pretty clear that we will NOT have a raise any time soon -- so some teachers are saying, "My highest four years are behind me -- no reason to stay longer."

We high school teachers are also saying, "This online learning has been bearable because we already had 9-weeks with our students, and we knew them. Starting fresh with new students will be a whole different ballgame." Once we know whether we're going back in the fall (meaning going back in person), I think we'll see some teachers decide to leave.

On the other end of the spectrum, some younger teachers who have small children /are essentially homeschooling are saying, "If we are doing online learning next fall, I may have to take a year off."
But really is there a lot of learning that takes place in an average 4th quarter of senior year?
I teach low-level seniors, and I can tell you what DOES happen 4th quarter: our low-level seniors, who tend to be behind in multiple ways, get scared and do LOTS of real work. They stay after school for tutoring, they do extra credit, they take online courses to make up missed things from previous years, their parents get involved. When the end is in sight, they suddenly become super-productive.

Last edited:
. And if you want a decent apartment, you MUST rent for the NEXT academic year no later than October 31st of the prior year.

that's nuts! here the places send out lease renewals in january for the next lease term (july-june) and will offer a discount if a new lease is signed before the end of the month. don't sign and if there's a wait list you go to the bottom of it.

it's going to be interesting to see what happens with the apartment situation around the colleges though-our state is not permitting evictions and there's no end date on that as yet. the courts are shut down except for emergent issues so there's going to be a huge backlog to get anything done when they lift the order. this could create a nightmare for those inclined to take advantage of the situation (we've already had some horrible cases reported on the news-evictions that had been in the courts for months and ruled in favor of the landlords, then the no eviction order went into effect days before the sheriffs were to act-one case profiled had the home trashed :sad2: ).

I don't know if it's the same as high school teachers, but here's a not-so-obvious-to-the-public thing: Our retirement is based upon an average of our highest four years of salary, and we had been hoping we were on the verge of a fairly good raise (by that, I mean us old folks -- they've been lavishing money on the younger teachers /ignoring those of us who are nearing retirement). With the problems we're having now, it's pretty clear that we will NOT have a raise any time soon -- so some teachers are saying, "My highest four years are behind me -- no reason to stay longer."

that's the way the public service i retired from works. LOTS of people retired when the last recession hit b/c when sales tax, property tax and other monies that end up funding public employee salaries dramatically dropped the unions in trying to save jobs agreed to wage cuts, furloughs and things that made anyone who was at or near retirement immediately request a pension estimate. most found that after the savings of no longer working that they were ahead of the game retiring. i foresee the same thing happening HOWEVER-because of the high demands for staffing in some states right now the pension laws are being waived so they can retire and then hire back on as contracted staff with no impact on their pensions.

Hopefully reduced enrollment and therefor income will force colleges to start reducing expenses and get rid of useless departments and administration. They have never been forced to tighten their belts. They just raise tuition.

At least a couple of universities around me are already talking about having to raise tuition to make up for the financial hit from the interrupted semester, so I'm not sure we're going to see the as a catalyst for better management so much as a reason for more of the same.

But really is there a lot of learning that takes place in an average 4th quarter of senior year?

I don't think there usually is, at least not for college-bound seniors. Seniors at the HS my daughter went to are done the second week of May, so their year ended 9 weeks early this year. A week and a half of that would have been Easter break. Senior trip is another week, and senior retreat/service trip is another 2-3 days. And then there's the day off after prom and the days devoted to AP test prep and honors mass and top 10 brunch and all the other distractions. I'd say they probably missed no more than 3 or 4 weeks of instructional time by ending the school year in mid-March, hardly enough to have an impact on their college readiness.

However... at the school my son attended, this time of year was a huge cram of kids trying to catch up enough missed work to graduate on time. So those kids are probably missing a lot more, perhaps enough to make a difference in their preparation for fall. But only about half of grads from that school go on to college, and the vast majority of them start at community college which is more accommodating of a range of backgrounds.

i get their point but unless something is done to extend the zero interest/no payments on fed student loans the ones that opt to drop out will start having payments due 6 months after their last class ends.

And I wonder how many of those making that decision now are taking their loans into account. I don't think it is very likely to see an extension of that break on payments, so a lot of kids who are thinking they'll just take a year off to wait until in-person learning is possible again may find themselves trying to figure out how to pay their loans at a time when it is going to be hard to find decent-paying work. It was definitely something we encouraged our daughter to think about, though it was a minor factor in her decisionmaking compared to the lack of clear answers on the scholarships that are paying her tuition.

The state governing body over our 8 in state public colleges put together a task force this week to discuss realities for the fall.

At least 2 of the colleges have announced plans to open this fall, including daughter's college.

Details are being ironed out and discussed and they are monitoring the virus.

I think pretty much all colleges/universities are PLANNING to return to campus in the fall. The reality is that the virus will come strongly into play, determining on whether or not it is safe to return. Fingers crossed!

that's nuts! here the places send out lease renewals in january for the next lease term (july-june) and will offer a discount if a new lease is signed before the end of the month. don't sign and if there's a wait list you go to the bottom of it.

it's going to be interesting to see what happens with the apartment situation around the colleges though-our state is not permitting evictions and there's no end date on that as yet. the courts are shut down except for emergent issues so there's going to be a huge backlog to get anything done when they lift the order. this could create a nightmare for those inclined to take advantage of the situation (we've already had some horrible cases reported on the news-evictions that had been in the courts for months and ruled in favor of the landlords, then the no eviction order went into effect days before the sheriffs were to act-one case profiled had the home trashed :sad2: ).

I definitely think it's nuts. And, here's the even crazier part. Leases run from June 1 to about one week before the end of May. So this year, that's May 25th. She must be "out" of her current apartment by May 25, but under ordinary circumstances, can't get "in" to her new place until June 1. Which means what? You move your stuff out and do what with it for that week? Pile it on your car? Rent a storage locker (minimum 3 months in this college town), move it to your parent's house just to move it back? The most ridiculous system! Fortunately, we live in pandemic times. The person in the apartment she's renting beginning June 1 is "gone" already because of no classes on campus. Which means she can move direct from her current place to her new place. Phew. Crisis averted. But, I was sweating just what the heck she was going to do. Our plan was that she would rent an Airbnb for week, keep her stuff in boxes there, and then move....but even that was proving difficult. The whole system is designed to rip off college students so far as I can tell....and guess what? Every single rental in town (other than ones that are very expensive and plainly NOT designed for college students) rents under the exact same lease terms with the crazy end date, and the requirement that your lease begins in June even though you have no need for it till the end of August. LOL

I definitely think it's nuts. And, here's the even crazier part. Leases run from June 1 to about one week before the end of May. So this year, that's May 25th. She must be "out" of her current apartment by May 25, but under ordinary circumstances, can't get "in" to her new place until June 1. Which means what? You move your stuff out and do what with it for that week? Pile it on your car? Rent a storage locker (minimum 3 months in this college town), move it to your parent's house just to move it back? The most ridiculous system! Fortunately, we live in pandemic times. The person in the apartment she's renting beginning June 1 is "gone" already because of no classes on campus. Which means she can move direct from her current place to her new place. Phew. Crisis averted. But, I was sweating just what the heck she was going to do. Our plan was that she would rent an Airbnb for week, keep her stuff in boxes there, and then move....but even that was proving difficult. The whole system is designed to rip off college students so far as I can tell....and guess what? Every single rental in town (other than ones that are very expensive and plainly NOT designed for college students) rents under the exact same lease terms with the crazy end date, and the requirement that your lease begins in June even though you have no need for it till the end of August. LOL
It’s the same way at ds’s college town, they have to be out the end of May, the lease starts 6/1, but move in isn’t until 6/8. First 3 months rent is due 5/1. Rents are jacked up compared to the rest of the state, DD’s 6 bedroom townhouse is $4200 a month (which would actually be a bargain where I live but expensive there).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter