• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Codes - Is this the "calm before the storm"???

I have to agree with Capt Jazbo. One of the many reasons I have gone to Disney over other locations is that I still truly believe that I get my money's worth. A holiday weekend staying slopeside at a New Hampshire ski resort actually cost my family MORE than our week in Disney. Lift tickets were $55 each (not including rental of equipment) and the condo was over $300 a night. Compare that to staying on site at Disney, which I believe has so much more to offer. I would rather pay a little more to stay there this year and keep up the services that make my vacation enjoyable.

I have a feeling that Disney like a lot of places is currently making some hard decisions. I think that if we go to war it is likely that Disney will once again close off resort sections, lay off employees and cut back. Yes, I know we would all like ALL the hours we are used to and no crowds, but from a realistic point of view that is not possible. Disney needs to be CROWDED to make a profit. This is not a low cost industry. And the theroy that people are not going due to the cutbacks just does not wash in my mind. If Disney was booking lots of rooms and selling lots of tickets then they would not have cutback so the decrease in travel was the driver.

In my mind, I think Disney may decide to shut down resorts rather than give the rooms away. Disney knows that may drive people to off site resorts, but they have to look at their costs and they may decide that it is better from a financial sense to cut back on rooms rather then sell them for less profit.

Personally, the discounts out right now don't look so bad.

Another thought here. It is entirely possible that the comeback rates being offered by Disney are a bigger hit then we think. I believe a large percentage of WDW guests are returning guests, so if they can lock-in a guest for another trip, then they've done their job. Maybe that's why we havent' seen any codes or such. I believe the comback rate expired a couple of days ago (unless it was extended again), so maybe codes will come out soon. I do know that WDW is having a problem with advance bookings, most people aren't booking as far in advance as they used to. So, they might be waiting until the LAST possible minute to release discounted rooms to try to get as many people as they can in at the highest rates. Also, with the economy in the tank as it is, Disney might be trying to come out with a different strategy to boost the bottom line. I agree with CarolA, they might decide to close entire resorts instead of offering discounts, because if most of the rooms at a resort are filled with discounted rooms, they aren't making much money or could be actually losing money. It might be more cost efficient for them to close the resort and lower occupancy to fill more high priced rooms. WDW is a business intended to make money, and they will try their best to accomplish that during these times. People will still go to WDW and pay rack rates, maybe less people, but if you have more rooms, with less being paid per room, it might actually cost Disney more in that case. I know codes were few and far between a few years ago, and it may be that Disney is trying to go back to that again.

I am staying at the Grand Californian tomorrow night for $169 with an AP rate. I could have stayed at Paradise pier for $79, or the Disneyland hotel for $119. AP discounts at Disneyland are pretty much always available (subject to room availability, of course), and there are more AP holders at Disneyland than WDW. We also have extensive merchandise and restaurant discounts both inside and outside of the parks. As someone who has had an AP at both WDW and DL, I have to say that DL treats their APs better in terms of discounts.

While some may state that Disney needs to make money, I think it is like many companies in corporate America: they believe they have to spend money to make money, but at times they are penny wise and pound foolish. Gee, how important is it that the VPs of the resort gets a new car every fall, free gas and car washes? And when they do their corporate retreats, they are not at a Disney property - they are at the Ritz Carlton. I don't begrudge any company for making money, but I don't want to hear how strapped they are that they can't provide the, in this case, "Disney magic" because of the bottom line when they spend money on unnecessary perks for executives. say unnecessary because if you have been to Disneyland lately you would see peeling paint, an almost ride free tomorrowland, and unhappy cast members. It's not the discounts that are costing the company money - in our case it is the lackluster DCA (or DOA as many call it out here), and poor management. DL has a new resort VP now, and it looks as if he wants to turn things around (yeah!!!).

Unless WDW wants to stick to the penny wise, pound foolish strategy, I believe they will release AP rates, for which I too am waiting. If I don't pay rack at other hotels and resorts (which I don't), I certainly don't want to at Disney - I don't think that's unreasonable. I hope everyone gets a great rate, and has a great trip!!!

I remember someone pointing out that we, all of us, as customers, were never entitled to any kind of discount and we should be glad for anything we get.

I beg to differ. Those of us holding APs or PAPs purchased those for the discounts as well as the park admission. Hotel discounts are one of the selling points and "benefits" of being an annual passholder. Granted, the disclaimer is there are "limited" numbers of those discounts BUT the discounts are to be offered to passholders as a "perk", an enticement to purchase the more expensive pass.

As to the "codes"--those offerings are up to the company and we should not have an expectation of receiving them. While I utilize the codes (a bird in the hand. . .) if offered prior to AP rates, I do not "expect" WDW to offer them. The passholder rates, on the other hand, are an expectation and an entitlement of the passholder. I do wish that WDW would handle its release of those rates in a different fashion--along the lines of the DC rates perhaps--at the beginning of its fiscal year. I recognize the need for (and as a stockholder appreciate it) WDW to sell as many rooms at rack as it's able--I just wish those AP holders were given a little more appreciation for the LARGE sums of money spent over the years. ;)

All of that aside, AP rates for May/June are not USUALLY released until mid to late March. That is the historical norm. . .the 2001 release in January was a major exception due to the diminished travel post-9/11. Sit tight everyone. . .I expect WDW will not be letting their frequent visitors down--fingers crossed anyway! ;)

Tess you obviously haven't been a passholder long. When I became one in 1995, room discounts did not exist. Yes, one of the perks were discounts on some rooms. They were 10% or 20% off of rooms usually in January and September and that was it! (Never during holidays or in the Summer.) No discounts on value rooms or moderate rooms, and if you didn't call when they were released you didn't get them. I got my AP because of going more than once a year. When you buy your AP you can't do it expecting a room discount. I sure folks won't want to see that very small discount come back. The rules of Disney change each year and I've seen it mentioned more than once to warn folks not to buy an AP if you're only doing it to get a room discount. I don't find the AP to be an expensive pass. Actually it's a way of saving money for the frequent visitors. It would be a horrible thing if the AP went away and I had to buy hopper passes all of the time. I can't even imagine the money it would cost to do disney without an AP pass. since an AP pass pays for itself after 8 park visits, it pays for itself for me before my very first trip since we go for 2 week in the spring.

I'm not sure what your complaint with my post is--because I haven't held an AP as long as you? You don't think as an AP holder you should be offered a discounted room as a perk? You think the codes should be offered to everyone before AP holders (loyal guests) are offered benefits?

In my view, it doesn't matter what the perk was or wasn't in 1995 (with the discontinuance of DC, one would think there's an even greater market for an AP)--room discounts have been advertised as a "perk" of holding an AP since at least 2000. Disney has created an expectation. Hey, I didn't need an AP in the early to mid-90s (nor a DC for that matter) because I was a shareholder and there were benefits attached to that as well.

Granted, all "rules" do change. . .when those changes occur we have the option to avail ourselves of the AP because it makes sense for our vacation plans--or not--if there are no room benefits, meal discounts, or ticket discounts, I'd probably rethink my renewals since, unlike you, I'm not lucky enough to travel to WDW more than once a year (usually--like Disney, there are exceptions to my rules, too). ;)

We hold PAPs, since we do the water parks, PI, and DQ--an UMP is still cheaper than that annual pass for a 9 day stay--the 8 day break even doesn't work for that pass, not even on a renewal basis. Still, it's a good value IF there are perks that go along with it. People need to decide for themselves whether or not it's the right purchase for them based upon all of the factors and not just a single one.

All I'm trying to say is, the AP/PAP is sold with a list of perks AND discounted rooms and packages are included in that list, for now anyway.

Yes, but the list of perks does not say when the discounts are avialble or how many.

Well, I just read on another popular WDW web site that a new code is (pending) coming later this month that will give better discounts than the AXA code, dates will be the same 4/27- 7/3, with a lead in rate of $59 for the All Star resorts. She also stated the code is suppose be for room only and or Dream Maker Package. The person who posted this is a travel agent.

I'm not sure what the point is--? Even IF the discounted rates were offered for two weeks out of the year, then there would still be an expectation by the purchaser that discounts would be offered--an entitlement of purchase. Whether or not to purchase based upon the limitations would then be up to the consumer. The expectation or sense of entitlement is there because Disney created it. Disney has the ability to take away that expectation as well by ceasing to offer the discount perk.

It's not that I'm not thankful for the benefits, codes, DC, AP, etc.--I simply disagreed that we should be kowtowing to Mickey for the discounts thrown our way--at least when it comes to APs (and the soon to be defunct DC for that matter). My only other pet peeve would be that codes are offered before APs. . .but that's another story. . . :)

RobinLyn,

where did you see that information? As an Disney/Web addict, I think I can use one more Disney related window open while online. I'm a certified Disney Multi-tasker:cool:

Me too!!!Funny how you get good at it-but yet I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Interesting. . . .

I guess someone at WDW read the pessimistic report about it in The Wall Street Journal today.

Another great bookmarked site, thanks!

I agree with Tess, I found the thread very interesting also.

Vermin,
Thanks for the link. It was interesting reading. I sure hope something else comes out soon!

I waited to book later than usual this year, and now I can't get the type of room I want. Not only that, part of the ressie is for rack rate, :eek: and part only has a AAA discount. I keep calling, and changing hoping for my room type to open up, and a better rate to come out!:rolleyes:

I can still get the AXA code at another resort, but not at the YC for the dates I need. This year is turning into the most difficult for securing what we want!:(

Come on new codes!!!!!!:):):)

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter