C'Mon Stanley Cup Playoffs

Not sure how the Shark Tank will accommodate both Andrea Boccelli & the Sharks/Pens game on Sat, June 4. We have tix for the second home game on Mon, June 6, when we're @ Lake Tahoe. Unless they change that game date, looks like we'll come home a day early. (Gladly! For a Stanley Cup game!)

I was thinking along those lines: sharks devour penguins.

(But then I thought, aren't penguins only in Antarctica and sharks only in warmer waters?)

There are cold water sharks. However, I can't really find any pictures of sharks attacking penguins. There are plenty of seals grabbing a quick meal of a penguin. Some are rather gruesome. I saw one where the penguin was partially decapitated and the seal was dragging the body along by the head. This one isn't gruesome, but we all know what comes next.

leopard-seal-unlucky-penguin.jpg

You know, this would have been a perfect picture for a Seals-Penguins finals. It wouldn't be in the finals, but I'm sure Sharks-Jets would make for some interesting allusions.

There are cold water sharks. However, I can't really find any pictures of sharks attacking penguins. There are plenty of seals grabbing a quick meal of a penguin. Some are rather gruesome. I saw one where the penguin was partially decapitated and the seal was dragging the body along by the head. This one isn't gruesome, but we all know what comes next.

You know, this would have been a perfect picture for a Seals-Penguins finals. It wouldn't be in the finals, but I'm sure Sharks-Jets would make for some interesting allusions.

What come's next is up for interpretation. Personally, I think that penguin has him right where he wants him and we're a split-second away from watching that seal take an asswhoopin'. :D

OK - Andrea Biccelli has been bumped by hockey. I sure hope all the concert goers get the word that the concert is the day before.

OK - Andrea Biccelli has been bumped by hockey. I sure hope all the concert goers get the word that the concert is the day before.

There are going to be people showing up wondering why there are so many people wearing hockey jerseys to see Andrea Bocelli.

I've been to that place many times over the years. I've seen hockey, NBA basketball (the Warriors played one season there while the arena in Oakland was being remodeled), NCAA basketball, tennis, and Disney on Ice. I still think it's a state of the art arena, but recently the Sharks have been asking for a new facility.

There are going to be people showing up wondering why there are so many people wearing hockey jerseys to see Andrea Bocelli.

I've been to that place many times over the years. I've seen hockey, NBA basketball (the Warriors played one season there while the arena in Oakland was being remodeled), NCAA basketball, tennis, and Disney on Ice. I still think it's a state of the art arena, but recently the Sharks have been asking for a new facility.

It's still a nice arena, but it's on the small side and, compared to other arenas, it lacks all the bells and whistles people look for these days. It's not as nice as the Staples Center, but at least it's not dump like Anaheim. That building is stuck in 1992.

Well why not? It's over 20 years old now. Ancient by current standards, it seems. I wonder if the Blues, Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, Bruins, and a few others with antiques are crying for new palaces as well.

They can always move back to the Cow Palace if they're not satisfied. :D

Is SF getting a new arena for the basketball Warriors?

Well why not? It's over 20 years old now. Ancient by current standards, it seems. I wonder if the Blues, Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, Bruins, and a few others with antiques are crying for new palaces as well.

They can always move back to the Cow Palace if they're not satisfied. :D

Is SF getting a new arena for the basketball Warriors?

The plans are for less seating than there currently exists in Oakland. However, the anticipation is for more extensive club areas and higher ticket prices. On top of that, it would be owned by the team, so they would get the revenue from other events, while now they go to a public entity.

I mean, the Islanders moved to the new arena in Brooklyn. It was built for basketball, so there's this weird overhang with the hockey setup.

I recall when the first plans for a large arena in San Jose were proposed. The team they wanted was the Warriors. The drawings I saw were of a futuristic glass dome.

Strangely enough, the Rangers don't want a new building, and theirs is among the oldest. The Rangers and Knicks are even fighting the county, which is hoping to tear down the building to rebuild Penn Station. Madison Square Garden is standing on supports right in the middle of the train platforms. They won't be able to realign the platforms without tearing down MAG first.

Jets destroy everything lol

I was thinking West Side Story.

I know...

The Jets/Sharks thing came up the first few times they played.

It's hard to cheer for a team that doesn't even get snow but I LOATHE Sidney Crosby so Go Sharks Go!

The plans are for less seating than there currently exists in Oakland. However, the anticipation is for more extensive club areas and higher ticket prices. On top of that, it would be owned by the team, so they would get the revenue from other events, while now they go to a public entity.

I mean, the Islanders moved to the new arena in Brooklyn. It was built for basketball, so there's this weird overhang with the hockey setup.

I recall when the first plans for a large arena in San Jose were proposed. The team they wanted was the Warriors. The drawings I saw were of a futuristic glass dome.

Strangely enough, the Rangers don't want a new building, and theirs is among the oldest. The Rangers and Knicks are even fighting the county, which is hoping to tear down the building to rebuild Penn Station. Madison Square Garden is standing on supports right in the middle of the train platforms. They won't be able to realign the platforms without tearing down MAG first.

I wasn't aware until the playoffs that Barclay's Center in Brooklyn had the weird setup for hockey. The Islanders might as well have stayed at the old Nassau Coliseum. When the Phoenix Coyotes first moved from Winnipeg, they played in the Suns basketball arena, and had the same poor hockey configuration.

I think Madison Square Garden IS the oldest arena in the NHL, but it's had several major remodels over the years. It looks nothing like the original on the inside. Much improved, but still has a few weird sightlines. Excellent location; maybe that's why the Rangers and Knicks don't want a new place.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware until the playoffs that Barclay's Center in Brooklyn had the weird setup for hockey. The Islanders might as well have stayed at the old Nassau Coliseum. When the Phoenix Coyotes first moved from Winnipeg, they played in the Suns basketball arena, and had the same poor hockey configuration.

I think Madison Square Garden IS the oldest arena in the NHL, but it's had several major remodels over the years. It looks nothing like the original on the inside. Much improved, but still has a few weird sightlines. Excellent location; maybe that's why the Rangers and Knicks don't want a new place.

They spent nearly a billion dollars on the last remodel. The city council only granted a 10 year permit, when MSG wanted an indefinite one. The problem is that Penn Station underground is a mess, and the passenger railroads want an above ground part of the station similar to the old Beaux-Arts building torn down in the 60s. After that was torn down, there was a movement to keep Grand Central Terminal from being torn down. If it goes down, Pennsylvania Plaza will probably also go.

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/4/26/11512886/madison-square-garden-penn-station-relocation-too-costly

I guess location is important. However, most of the major sports venues in the Bay Area have poor locations for transportation. SAP Center does have public transportation, but parking is horrible. It's worse at AT&T Park. And Levi's Stadium was a massive mistake.

Strangely enough, possibly the best location in the Bay Area is Oakland. It's right next to the freeway, with BART and Amtrak right there. All major (and some relatively minor) sports have been there, including NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, USFL, and even MISL. There's also the possibility that no teams will be there within a few years, with all the current teams discussing moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter