CM refused DAC to my sister with MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
DAS cards are not given out on the basis of a diagnosis, so it's unnecessary for a CM (a non-medical person) to know what MS is all about.

You went to guest services to ask for accommodations. The usual response to any stamina or mobility issue is to suggest the use of a wheelchair or ECV. Disney was providing your sister with the accommodations that would have met her needs.

So if its not given on a diagnosis, what are they doing asking you questions they have no knowledge about

So if its not given on a diagnosis, what are they doing asking you questions they have no knowledge about

They ask what your needs are, not what your disability is.

Saying my son has autism is different than my son can't stand in a line because he will physically lash out and melt down and we would need to wait our turn somewhere else.

They're asking questions about your NEEDS, and suggesting accommodations based on those needs. It is up to you to explain how those needs relate to the park.

Not every person with the same diagnosis has the same needs, so diagnosis matters little. What matters is the needs of the person. If the person's needs are mobility alone, then a mobility device is suggested to meets those needs.

A person with vision issues, who cannot drive an ECV, and who has muscle weakness that makes it impossible to propel a wheelchair, has more needs than just mobility. Those NEEDS need to be told to the Guest Services CM and accommodations should be suggested based on those additional items. But if you just say, " I can't walk because I have MS" They will suggest the best accommodation based on the one need you told them, mobility.

I would strongly suggest that the wording go like this:
I have vision issues which make it impossible to drive an ecv, and I do not have the stamina to use a wheelchair on my own, nor do I have someone to push it. I need to be able to sit while waiting for my turn to ride an attraction. I require a DAS to accommodate those needs.

IMHO not rude, just a bit abrupt. OP was looking for a little understanding and acceptance of her frustration. You didn't exactly give that. In fact you chastised her a little for not understanding others.

That sort of response isn't helpful in this situation and can lead to a nasty flame war. It's accusatory in tone and irrelevant to the problem the poster was addressing.

DAS is specifically designed to exclude people with just mobility-impairments. This is a major change from GAC so can get very confusing and disappointing to folks with those issues. Of course people will be denied and of course they will come here to vent. So it takes one part understanding and another part explanation of what the program is.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I thought I was being understanding by not posting how offensive it was to point out the CM was from another country and therefore did not "understand" MS. I figured Sue has her hands full as it is. I thought posting the "rules" was helpful. Sorry you felt my reply was not "flowery" enough.pixiedust:

They're asking questions about your NEEDS, and suggesting accommodations based on those needs. It is up to you to explain how those needs relate to the park.

Not every person with the same diagnosis has the same needs, so diagnosis matters little. What matters is the needs of the person. If the person's needs are mobility alone, then a mobility device is suggested to meets those needs.

A person with vision issues, who cannot drive an ECV, and who has muscle weakness that makes it impossible to propel a wheelchair, has more needs than just mobility. Those NEEDS need to be told to the Guest Services CM and accommodations should be suggested based on those additional items. But if you just say, " I can't walk because I have MS" They will suggest the best accommodation based on the one need you told them, mobility.

:thumbsup2

I have vision issues which make it impossible to drive an ecv, and I do not have the stamina to use a wheelchair on my own, nor do I have someone to push it. I need to be able to sit while waiting for my turn to ride an attraction. I require a DAS to accommodate those needs.

Exactly. It's a new way of thinking about how we describe our needs. Inability to stand for long periods of time is something that under GAC might have given you an alternate accommodation but under DAS is accommodated with wheels.

GAC was a program that provided varied access to attractions based on ability/disability. For instance, the visually impaired had GACs that provided access to front row seats at shows. Now they will go to the show and explain that need directly to the CMs directing seating. A wheelchair user may directed to follow a certain path into the attraction so they will get to designated wheelchair spots or wheelchair boarding.

DAS is SOLELY to accommodate the need to wait for a ride OUTSIDE a crowded or dark queue. It does not address any other need.

It means we'll be seeing a lot more wheels in Disney with this new system. Good news is most of the pathways you'll encounter are wheelie-friendly. (The bad news/warts of the program is that Disney and pedestrian guests might not be prepared for all the wheels they'll have to accommodate at the attractions.)

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I thought I was being understanding by not posting how offensive it was to point out the CM was from another country and therefore did not "understand" MS. I figured Sue has her hands full as it is. I thought posting the "rules" was helpful. Sorry you felt my reply was not "flowery" enough.pixiedust:

I don't see how pointing out the obvious is offensive and I thought I was offering up an excuse for why the CM didn't understand, basically giving her an "out". It was obvious to us that English was not her first language - that's all, not slamming another culture. It was obvious that she was not entirely fluent in English since she had to pause and search for words, therefore I think it's entirely reasonable to deduct that she doesn't know every word in English, therefore might not have understood what we were saying. I have studied other languages and have been able to get by in other countries but I would say, that medical terms in another language might very well stump me. That's it, that's all.

I've now come to see that we needed to use different words and thanks for all the positive suggestions here. We used the same words we used in the past, didn't know they wouldn't work now and we had to change them up.

I think the positive contributions on how a person's challenges need to be presented are greatly helpful, only wish I had know in advance.

My sister isn't as big a Disney fan as I am and I think that's why this obstacle will stop her from jumping at going again, at least soon.

I do appreciate all the help - thanks!

IMHO not rude, just a bit abrupt. OP was looking for a little understanding and acceptance of her frustration. You didn't exactly give that. In fact you chastised her a little for not understanding others.

That sort of response isn't helpful in this situation and can lead to a nasty flame war. It's accusatory in tone and irrelevant to the problem the poster was addressing.

DAS is specifically designed to exclude people with just mobility-impairments. This is a major change from GAC so can get very confusing and disappointing to folks with those issues. Of course people will be denied and of course they will come here to vent. So it takes one part understanding and another part explanation of what the program is.

Thank you!

Thank you, I'm sure this will be helpful to others, we did not understand we needed to change our approach.

I agree with this, except I would not say that I require a DAS to accommodate those needs, as saying that would limit the assistance they might be able to offer. Please remember that they are supposed to be working with guests on a individual basis to meet their needs.

to the OP - I really hope your sister changes her mind about going back to WDW and I'm sorry you all had such a difficult experience.

Have you all though of getting her a Rollator? They look like this

It might help her feel more balanced (and can actually help with the fatigue of fighting for balance) and gives her an immediate place to sit down if she needs one.

My aunt uses one (she's had spinal fusion and has poor balance with similar fatigue problems as your sister) and it's been a lifesaver for her. It keeps her independent and mobile.

:flower1:

I agree with this, except I would not say that I require a DAS to accommodate those needs, as saying that would limit the assistance they might be able to offer. Please remember that they are supposed to be working with guests on a individual basis to meet their needs.

The accommodations should be limited to what the guest needs, and no more (and no less).

I think the wording "I have vision issues which make it impossible to drive an ecv, and I do not have the stamina to use a wheelchair on my own, nor do I have someone to push it. I need to be able to sit while waiting for my turn to ride an attraction. I require a DAS to accommodate those needs." is perfect, since a DAS should be all that the person needs in that circumstance.

Right. This was just possible wording that may have helped in this specific situation. It wasn't really meant to be the final wording, or complete wording. It sounded like the real issue was the the poster needed to be able to wait outside of the queue line, so the DAS is the appropriate tool.

But, beyond a DAS, what other assistance could they offer?

to the OP - I really hope your sister changes her mind about going back to WDW and I'm sorry you all had such a difficult experience.

Have you all though of getting her a Rollator? They look like this

It might help her feel more balanced (and can actually help with the fatigue of fighting for balance) and gives her an immediate place to sit down if she needs one.

My aunt uses one (she's had spinal fusion and has poor balance with similar fatigue problems as your sister) and it's been a lifesaver for her. It keeps her independent and mobile.

:flower1:

Thanks CynJ, that's a great suggestion.

What I had hoped and maybe I do not understand this correctly - is that I might have acted as a "runner" to get the card signed as it's my understanding that is acceptable. My sister would have needed to be there to ride, not obtain the return time. She could have sat somewhere in air conditioning while I went for the return times, would have been sooooo helpful and saved her energy. I do see that we are going to have to now be more descriptive with her problems and probably try some other accomodations.

Thanks again to everyone who has been helpful! :thumbsup2 I do appreciate it.

Thanks CynJ, that's a great suggestion.

What I had hoped and maybe I do not understand this correctly - is that I might have acted as a "runner" to get the card signed as it's my understanding that is acceptable. My sister would have needed to be there to ride, not obtain the return time. She could have sat somewhere in air conditioning while I went for the return times, would have been sooooo helpful and saved her energy. I do see that we are going to have to now be more descriptive with her problems and probably try some other accomodations.

Thanks again to everyone who has been helpful! :thumbsup2 I do appreciate it.

Absolutely. This is exactly what you can do. She needs to obtain the actual DAS card (if they provide her with one based on her needs) but you can do the running to get the return times while she browses a store near by in the a/c.

My parents are going with us in June. Mom has rhuematoid arthritis and dad needs both knees replaced. Last January they rented ECVs from an independent company and other than navigating the crazy crowds while we were there they were great.
I got a card for each of them since I didn't know if they'd be staying together all the time, but basically their issues are the same- they need wheelchairs because they can't stand long enough to make it through a crowded line. As long as they can sit somewhere it doesn't matter the wait time.
Is an ECV all they need to be recognized or do they need to get a DAC? The card from January just said "wheelchair access" which would be pretty self explanatory by just looking at them in their ECVs.

Just curious....

My parents are going with us in June. Mom has rhuematoid arthritis and dad needs both knees replaced. Last January they rented ECVs from an independent company and other than navigating the crazy crowds while we were there they were great.
I got a card for each of them since I didn't know if they'd be staying together all the time, but basically their issues are the same- they need wheelchairs because they can't stand long enough to make it through a crowded line. As long as they can sit somewhere it doesn't matter the wait time.
Is an ECV all they need to be recognized or do they need to get a DAC? The card from January just said "wheelchair access" which would be pretty self explanatory by just looking at them in their ECVs.

Just curious....

It sounds as though their ECVs should meet their needs so no need for a DAS. They can ride their ECVs through the queues right up to the rides so they'll have those for sitting in while going through the queues.

It sounds as though their ECVs should meet their needs so no need for a DAS. They can ride their ECVs through the queues right up to the rides so they'll have those for sitting in while going through the queues.

And in lines that do not have accessible queues, they'll be directed where to go. :)

She was having a flare up last week too, I really couldn't believe it.

First day was at Epcot, we arrived on 10/10 so I know the DAC was new. Went to Guest Services to ask for a DAC. My sister was not feeling well but she wasn't in a wheelchair. She has muscle weakness and the heat really does her in but it's not something that is evident by just looking at her. I tried to talk her into a scooter but she isn't ready to give in to that yet. So she explained her issue to a CM and was turned down! CM said she could sit in line in one of their wheelchairs. This CM appeared to be from another country, she was struggling with some english words and maybe she just didn't understand what multiple sclerosis is, I don't know. We just looked at each other and left, used fastpass+ and let sis rest a lot. Called it a night early. I know we could have tried another CM elsewhere but sister was not one to beg for a DAC. Strange that we saw other people with them, several in wheelchairs so I guess we should have sat her in one before asking! But then why is the CM telling us no, she can use a wheelchair in line when other people in wheelchairs had DAC's? Disney will be getting an email from me on this one. :mad:

I don't see either what the CM's country of Origin has to do with things,kind of rude to say really. They are not medical doctors, they are not trained in the medical field. If mobility was a issue for you maybe you should have rented a wheelchair or a ECV.

It sounds like that you needed one of those two said items for mobility. The CM was just doing her job based of what you said to her.

Also it's not a DAC it's a DAS. Disney does not just give out wheelchairs, you have to rent them. Also CM's do read these boards btw.

I think some of you misunderstand, we told the CM what the symptons of MS are that would impact my sister: She has muscle weakness, trouble standing for long periods, balance problems, occasional blurred vision, the heat really affects her muscles too - so we did not just give her a diagnosis, we explained the problem.

Not bashing a country of origin, saying that her English was not perfect and maybe she didn't understand. She was struggling with talking to us, searching for some words.

CM told us DSis could sit in a wheelchair in line, then why other guests in wheelchairs with a DAC? Saw several. While my sisters condition is not apparent by looking at her, neither were these other people's, although maybe they could have a situation worse than MS, I don't know. Knowing my sister's struggles, I know how bad MS is.

While I think DSis should use a scooter, just explaining her feelings that I have no control over.

I offered this post more of a be prepared kind of thing and I'm done now. Wasn't trying to cause a controversy. Have a great day!

CM was just doing her job and doing how she was trained based of what you told her.

My suggestion is the same, next time just rent a wheelchair. DASlees serves to lessen wait time. You will be better off with a wheelchair i am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter