CM refused DAC to my sister with MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyTrampScamp&Angel

DIS Veteran
She was having a flare up last week too, I really couldn't believe it.

First day was at Epcot, we arrived on 10/10 so I know the DAC was new. Went to Guest Services to ask for a DAC. My sister was not feeling well but she wasn't in a wheelchair. She has muscle weakness and the heat really does her in but it's not something that is evident by just looking at her. I tried to talk her into a scooter but she isn't ready to give in to that yet. So she explained her issue to a CM and was turned down! CM said she could sit in line in one of their wheelchairs. This CM appeared to be from another country, she was struggling with some english words and maybe she just didn't understand what multiple sclerosis is, I don't know. We just looked at each other and left, used fastpass+ and let sis rest a lot. Called it a night early. I know we could have tried another CM elsewhere but sister was not one to beg for a DAC. Strange that we saw other people with them, several in wheelchairs so I guess we should have sat her in one before asking! But then why is the CM telling us no, she can use a wheelchair in line when other people in wheelchairs had DAC's? Disney will be getting an email from me on this one. :mad:

I'm sorry that happened. I think you are correct, maybe she just didn't understand what MS is.

She was having a flare up last week too, I really couldn't believe it.

First day was at Epcot, we arrived on 10/10 so I know the DAC was new. Went to Guest Services to ask for a DAC. My sister was not feeling well but she wasn't in a wheelchair. She has muscle weakness and the heat really does her in but it's not something that is evident by just looking at her. I tried to talk her into a scooter but she isn't ready to give in to that yet. So she explained her issue to a CM and was turned down! CM said she could sit in line in one of their wheelchairs. This CM appeared to be from another country, she was struggling with some english words and maybe she just didn't understand what multiple sclerosis is, I don't know. We just looked at each other and left, used fastpass+ and let sis rest a lot. Called it a night early. I know we could have tried another CM elsewhere but sister was not one to beg for a DAC. Strange that we saw other people with them, several in wheelchairs so I guess we should have sat her in one before asking! But then why is the CM telling us no, she can use a wheelchair in line when other people in wheelchairs had DAC's? Disney will be getting an email from me on this one. :mad:

DAS is not given based on diagnosis so the CM would have no reason to understand MS. I see no reason to bring the CM's country of origin into the matter. It sounds like your sisters needs are met with a wheelchair? As such she would not need a DAS. "Other" people you saw in wheelchairs had needs that were not met with just the wheelchair.

DAS cards are not given out on the basis of a diagnosis, so it's unnecessary for a CM (a non-medical person) to know what MS is all about.

You went to guest services to ask for accommodations. The usual response to any stamina or mobility issue is to suggest the use of a wheelchair or ECV. Disney was providing your sister with the accommodations that would have met her needs.

:hug:I'm sorry (sincerely) that your sister felt disappointed. There's nothing else the CM could have done even if she spoke perfect English and was a medical doctor.
Can you imagine if every CM had to be medically trained in every possible diagnosis?

She doesn't have to use the wheelchair all the time. Sitting in a wheelchair in line is an excellent solution for someone who can't stand in a line.

Using a needed mobility device is NOT "giving in."

DAS is not given based on diagnosis so the CM would have no reason to understand MS. I see no reason to bring the CM's country of origin into the matter. It sounds like your sisters needs are met with a wheelchair? As such she would not need a DAS. "Other" people you saw in wheelchairs had needs that were not met with just the wheelchair.
I have to agree with this. There are many reasons why someone in a wheelchair has other needs that may require a das.

I think some of you misunderstand, we told the CM what the symptons of MS are that would impact my sister: She has muscle weakness, trouble standing for long periods, balance problems, occasional blurred vision, the heat really affects her muscles too - so we did not just give her a diagnosis, we explained the problem.

Not bashing a country of origin, saying that her English was not perfect and maybe she didn't understand. She was struggling with talking to us, searching for some words.

CM told us DSis could sit in a wheelchair in line, then why other guests in wheelchairs with a DAC? Saw several. While my sisters condition is not apparent by looking at her, neither were these other people's, although maybe they could have a situation worse than MS, I don't know. Knowing my sister's struggles, I know how bad MS is.

While I think DSis should use a scooter, just explaining her feelings that I have no control over.

I offered this post more of a be prepared kind of thing and I'm done now. Wasn't trying to cause a controversy. Have a great day!

I, too, have MS and this is my fear that I will not be given a DAS card. I have always gotten the GAC since I was diagnosed and honestly I could not have made it without it!! I know how your sister feels. I currently do not need a WC and frankly I know that some day it is likely that I will and I want to delay that progression as much as possible. Until you are in this position you don't realize how you feel about such things. It is a very difficult illness to live with but I just plan to explain my needs when I go next month and hopefully the CM will understand.

I'm sorry but it sounds like a wheelchair would work for her. Fatigue, balance issues, blurred vision (if she needed to sit closer for shows that is handled at the entrance) heat - most wdw queues are inside or shaded. Other people in wheelchairs may have mobility plus other needs not met by the wheelchairs. Parents of older kids with autism sometimes use them for a safe space for their kids but they still have other needs that may not be met simply by the wheelchair. There are several regular posters here including a moderator who use a wheelchair and have other needs not met by the wheelchair.
And just because someone mentally searches for the right word doesn't mean they don't understand what you are saying. Most people are better at understanding what is said to them then speaking.

I, too, have MS and this is my fear that I will not be given a DAS card. I have always gotten the GAC since I was diagnosed and honestly I could not have made it without it!! I know how your sister feels. I currently do not need a WC and frankly I know that some day it is likely that I will and I want to delay that progression as much as possible. Until you are in this position you don't realize how you feel about such things. It is a very difficult illness to live with but I just plan to explain my needs when I go next month and hopefully the CM will understand.
I wish you the best of luck, I hope the info here may be of some use to you, that was my intent. I'm sorry about your MS too, I know how difficult it is.

Basically, the recommendation that I can give is to either not mention any of the mobility related issues or mention them last.

If all needs are mobility related, then they will tell you to rent a wheelchair or ECV, they may make exceptions to this on a case by case basis though.

But in all reality, I think a wheelchair would probably be the ideal solution here (assuming others in the party are physically capable of pushing it), she could stand as needed, but sit when needed. I don't think an ECV would be a good idea, due to the blurred vision, as that may make it unsafe for her to drive one. So the question at that point is what do you do if no one in your party is physically capable of pushing her in a wheelchair in the parks? I don't know the answer, just throwing it out there.

I think some of you misunderstand, we told the CM what the symptons of MS are that would impact my sister: She has muscle weakness, trouble standing for long periods, balance problems, occasional blurred vision, the heat really affects her muscles too - so we did not just give her a diagnosis, we explained the problem.

Not bashing a country of origin, saying that her English was not perfect and maybe she didn't understand. She was struggling with talking to us, searching for some words.

CM told us DSis could sit in a wheelchair in line, then why other guests in wheelchairs with a DAC? Saw several. While my sisters condition is not apparent by looking at her, neither were these other people's, although maybe they could have a situation worse than MS, I don't know. Knowing my sister's struggles, I know how bad MS is.

While I think DSis should use a scooter, just explaining her feelings that I have no control over.

I offered this post more of a be prepared kind of thing and I'm done now. Wasn't trying to cause a controversy. Have a great day!

I think perhaps it is you that is not understanding. The "others" you saw in wheelchairs had needs other than those met with a wheelchair.

Basically, the recommendation that I can give is to either not mention any of the mobility related issues or mention them last.

If all needs are mobility related, then they will tell you to rent a wheelchair or ECV, they may make exceptions to this on a case by case basis though.

But in all reality, I think a wheelchair would probably be the ideal solution here (assuming others in the party are physically capable of pushing it), she could stand as needed, but sit when needed. I don't think an ECV would be a good idea, due to the blurred vision, as that may make it unsafe for her to drive one. So the question at that point is what do you do if no one in your party is physically capable of pushing her in a wheelchair in the parks? I don't know the answer, just throwing it out there.

Thank you! That is exactly the problem, I'm not capable pushing DSis, who weighs much more than I do, around parks for 5 days. It was just the two of us and I am not physically capable of it. Not only does she have vision problems that would make driving difficult, she stresses and becomes frustrated easily. I spent this trip watching people on scooters and honestly, don't know how they do it sometimes, it's so congested.

My sister's solution will be that she won't go back anytime soon, sorry to say. I think you are also right in that we didn't say the right words at the right time. Again, for those going in the future I hope this helps you out.

She doesn't have to use the wheelchair all the time. Sitting in a wheelchair in line is an excellent solution for someone who can't stand in a line.

Using a needed mobility device is NOT "giving in."

LadyTrampScamp&Angel, just to chime in here, first off I'm sorry you both were frustrated. The new DAS program is geared toward a narrower segment of the disabled population. It's meant to provide for people who cannot safely wait inside a line queue with other people, not provide accommodations for every disability. What your sister experienced is the general recommendations for people with mobility/stamina issues. The thinking is that just getting from attraction to attraction will compromise such a person's abilities so they are better off using wheels with a seat.

I have progressive Rheumatoid Arthritis. I grew up with it so I understand well the struggle to stay out of a wheelchair. My doctors viewed it as a failure on my part because I allowed the disease to win. But those wheels are just a tool like a cane or a bench. You can use them however much it benefits you then leave them behind. In fact, it's actually nice to be able to rest when you want and get up to walk when you want/need to. Many people in wheelchairs lack the ability to get up at all.

May I kindly suggest your sister try renting an ECV? There are several very good rental companies serving Disney customers. (Last trip we used Best Mobility for my uncle and cousin. Both really enjoyed their top-of-the-line Pride rides.) With an ECV your sister can ride her "hog" through the parks and be able to enjoy the view rather than worry about falling, resting or tiring out. She'll have a basket for her things and you can easily slip a backpack on the back of the seat to carry the family supplies (water, sunscreen, snacks, jackets for evening).

Once she gets to where she's going she can opt to park the ECV and get out for a walk. If she feels herself getting stiff, you can hop in and take the ECV for a spin so her "chair" follows her.

Stay away from the Disney scooters. I find those grey bohemoths are incredibly difficult to maneuver and more trouble than they're worth. The offsite ones are far cheaper and easier to use.

Tell your sister to think of that ECV like her personal motorcycle for the parks. Using one is no different than riding a bicycle around or taking your car for a short trip. It's just a tool to help her conserve her strength for the things that matter.

Queues in EPCOT are pretty much all accessible for wheeled devices. (Only exception is Spaceship Earth where you'll go in the Exit and wait for boarding there. CMs have an area inside setup to handle disabled guests and it works well.) That's why CMs at Guest Relations in that park are less likely to think a DAS is necessary for people with mobility issues. Those who use wheels and have DAS cards have other issues with being in crowds that affect their day.

My father uses an ECV to compensate for his stamina issues. He never needed or used a GAC nor DAS because as long as he has his seat he's fine. Driving an ECV in Disney is a ride in itself. You always have a comfy seat for shows, parades and fireworks. You can carry your stuff without it weighing down your back. And you can make a game out of avoiding all the moving obstacles (i.e. pedestrians). We decorate our wheels with those battery-powered mini lights. Allows us to have our own night time Electrical Parades.

I hope you guys have a good trip. It may be different than you expected, but really there is a way to have a good time without any special card for access or feeling like you're giving in.

And if your sister finds her wheels don't provide all the help she needs, she can go back to Guest Services and talk about it.

I think perhaps it is you that is not understanding. The "others" you saw in wheelchairs had needs other than those met with a wheelchair.
No I understand that, just knowing how difficult this trip was for my sister and the struggles she goes through with MS, it's hard to understand the lack of empathy. I am really trying not to get drawn into this, no matter how rude you would like to be so again, hoping the information about what to say helps people in the future and I'm out.

LadyTrampScamp&Angel, just to chime in here, first off I'm sorry you both were frustrated. The new DAS program is geared toward a narrower segment of the disabled population. It's meant to provide for people who cannot safely wait inside a line queue with other people, not provide accommodations for every disability. What your sister experienced is the general recommendations for people with mobility/stamina issues. The thinking is that just getting from attraction to attraction will compromise such a person's abilities so they are better off using wheels with a seat.

I have progressive Rheumatoid Arthritis. I grew up with it so I understand well the struggle to stay out of a wheelchair. My doctors viewed it as a failure on my part because I allowed the disease to win. But those wheels are just a tool like a cane or a bench. You can use them however much it benefits you then leave them behind. In fact, it's actually nice to be able to rest when you want and get up to walk when you want/need to. Many people in wheelchairs lack the ability to get up at all.

May I kindly suggest your sister try renting an ECV? There are several very good rental companies serving Disney customers. (Last trip we used Best Mobility for my uncle and cousin. Both really enjoyed their top-of-the-line Pride rides.) With an ECV your sister can ride her "hog" through the parks and be able to enjoy the view rather than worry about falling, resting or tiring out. She'll have a basket for her things and you can easily slip a backpack on the back of the seat to carry the family supplies (water, sunscreen, snacks, jackets for evening).

Once she gets to where she's going she can opt to park the ECV and get out for a walk. If she feels herself getting stiff, you can hop in and take the ECV for a spin so her "chair" follows her.

Stay away from the Disney scooters. I find those grey bohemoths are incredibly difficult to maneuver and more trouble than they're worth. The offsite ones are far cheaper and easier to use.

Tell your sister to think of that ECV like her personal motorcycle for the parks. Using one is no different than riding a bicycle around or taking your car for a short trip. It's just a tool to help her conserve her strength for the things that matter.

Queues in EPCOT are pretty much all accessible for wheeled devices. (Only exception is Spaceship Earth where you'll go in the Exit and wait for boarding there. CMs have an area inside setup to handle disabled guests and it works well.) That's why CMs at Guest Relations in that park are less likely to think a DAS is necessary for people with mobility issues. Those who use wheels and have DAS cards have other issues with being in crowds that affect their day.

My father uses an ECV to compensate for his stamina issues. He never needed or used a GAC nor DAS because as long as he has his seat he's fine. Driving an ECV in Disney is a ride in itself. You always have a comfy seat for shows, parades and fireworks. You can carry your stuff without it weighing down your back. And you can make a game out of avoiding all the moving obstacles (i.e. pedestrians). We decorate our wheels with those battery-powered mini lights. Allows us to have our own night time Electrical Parades.

I hope you guys have a good trip. It may be different than you expected, but really there is a way to have a good time without any special card for access or feeling like you're giving in.

And if your sister finds her wheels don't provide all the help she needs, she can go back to Guest Services and talk about it.

Thank you, I tried to talk her into a scooter but I think with the vision problems and all, it would not have worked for her. I don't think she'll be going back soon. Appreciate your understanding and sympathize with your struggles, good luck to you.

Thank you! That is exactly the problem, I'm not capable pushing DSis, who weighs much more than I do, around parks for 5 days. It was just the two of us and I am not physically capable of it. Not only does she have vision problems that would make driving difficult, she stresses and becomes frustrated easily. I spent this trip watching people on scooters and honestly, don't know how they do it sometimes, it's so congested.

My sister's solution will be that she won't go back anytime soon, sorry to say. I think you are also right in that we didn't say the right words at the right time. Again, for those going in the future I hope this helps you out.

Sorry, you posted about this while I was composing my last response.

If her vision is also a problem then please do go back to Guest Relations and explain all her needs and difficulties.

I was initially denied a DAS at EPCOT as well because I thinking more about why I used a wheelchair. Made it difficult for me to explain why I also avoided crowds/big pedestrian queues. For me it is a safety issue. My body is too fragile to handle incidental collisions without getting hurt. Once I was able to explain my concerns a manager understood my request for a DAS.

When you go back to GR, have your sister explain why using wheels does not meet all her needs. They need to understand how her vision problems affect her driving ability and the issue with manual wheelchairs. Ask how the GR CM would suggest managing such limitations in the park.

Deciding not to go back to Disney is a form of giving up to me. I encounter a lot of situations where it is hard and there aren't ready-made accommodations for me. I guess a lifetime of dealing with disability has just made me too ornery to walk away. Take a break, catch your breath and then once your sister has rejuvenated her spirit come back for another go.

Disney is just beginning this new program. There are a lot of warts with it so a lot of folks are feeling the pain, but it will get better. We'll learn how to use it and the staff will learn how to apply it in ways that works for everyone. And by this time next year we'll all have the option of pre-scheduling a few main attractions before we ever leave our rooms.

No I understand that, just knowing how difficult this trip was for my sister and the struggles she goes through with MS, it's hard to understand the lack of empathy. I am really trying not to get drawn into this, no matter how rude you would like to be so again, hoping the information about what to say helps people in the future and I'm out.

Where was I rude?

Where was I rude?

IMHO not rude, just a bit abrupt. OP was looking for a little understanding and acceptance of her frustration. You didn't exactly give that. In fact you chastised her a little for not understanding others.

That sort of response isn't helpful in this situation and can lead to a nasty flame war. It's accusatory in tone and irrelevant to the problem the poster was addressing.

DAS is specifically designed to exclude people with just mobility-impairments. This is a major change from GAC so can get very confusing and disappointing to folks with those issues. Of course people will be denied and of course they will come here to vent. So it takes one part understanding and another part explanation of what the program is.

Sorry, you posted about this while I was composing my last response.

If her vision is also a problem then please do go back to Guest Relations and explain all her needs and difficulties.

I was initially denied a DAS at EPCOT as well because I thinking more about why I used a wheelchair. Made it difficult for me to explain why I also avoided crowds/big pedestrian queues. For me it is a safety issue. My body is too fragile to handle incidental collisions without getting hurt. Once I was able to explain my concerns a manager understood my request for a DAS.

When you go back to GR, have your sister explain why using wheels does not meet all her needs. They need to understand how her vision problems affect her driving ability and the issue with manual wheelchairs. Ask how the GR CM would suggest managing such limitations in the park.

Deciding not to go back to Disney is a form of giving up to me. I encounter a lot of situations where it is hard and there aren't ready-made accommodations for me. I guess a lifetime of dealing with disability has just made me too ornery to walk away. Take a break, catch your breath and then once your sister has rejuvenated her spirit come back for another go.

Disney is just beginning this new program. There are a lot of warts with it so a lot of folks are feeling the pain, but it will get better. We'll learn how to use it and the staff will learn how to apply it in ways that works for everyone. And by this time next year we'll all have the option of pre-scheduling a few main attractions before we ever leave our rooms

Brogan, Great post! I think your reply is gently sensitive, and also helpful in a practical way.
(BBM)-I agree, there usually is a learning curve with any new big program. :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter