Closest Hotel to DHS

askias

Earning My Ears
What would be the closest hotel you could book to DHS in anticipation of the SW opening? I've got my 75 year old mother in tow, so I'm looking for the minimum amount of walking she would have to do. I've stayed at the Polynesian before where you had that short boat ride to MK, not sure if something similar exists for DHS or what folks would recommend. Thanks!

What would be the closest hotel you could book to DHS in anticipation of the SW opening? I've got my 75 year old mother in tow, so I'm looking for the minimum amount of walking she would have to do. I've stayed at the Polynesian before where you had that short boat ride to MK, not sure if something similar exists for DHS or what folks would recommend. Thanks!
Any of the hotels on crescent lake have boat service to DHS, so the swan/dolphin, beach and yacht club, and the boardwalk. The skyliner will also be open once SWGE opens and that will connect CBR directly to DHS and pop/AoA and riviera will be a skyliner transfer away.

Although not Disney hotels Swan/Dolphin are close as for Disney owned you'd be looking at Beach Club, Yacht Club, or Boardwalk Inn.
They are all considered "Epcot area resorts" but you can walk or boat to HS.

As the crow flies i believe pop century is the closest, reservations for it are pretty scarce due to the skyliner... swan and dolphin is abt 1/2-2/3 a mile walk, boardwalk is abt a mile walk and yacht and beach are just over a mile walk...

If you are looking for late fall rooms at resorts near SWGE book soon, its already dicey trying to find rooms. Dont expect discounts either

Will your mom have a wheelchair/ecv? If so I would say Boardwalk and you can walk over to DHS, it's about a 10 min. walk. If she doesn't and needs to rely on Disney transport or a car, any Epcot resorts or Pop/Art of Animation would be the closest

Boardwalk resorts have the boats to DS and that might be nice for your mom. We walk from Boardwalk all the time and it's about 12-15 minutes.

Just did a quick room search for POP from Sunday check in to following Sunday check out..every week was available from October to the end of the year in every room category.Also looked at some of the other resorts and there are plenty there too.
I'm sure that will change as soon as SWGE opening is set and I'm also sure there won't be many discounts...
I'm also sure MDE will crash and burn that day :surfweb:

Just did a quick room search for POP from Sunday check in to following Sunday check out..every week was available from October to the end of the year in every room category.Also looked at some of the other resorts and there are plenty there too.
I'm sure that will change as soon as SWGE opening is set and I'm also sure there won't be many discounts...
I'm also sure MDE will crash and burn that day :surfweb:

Wow, kind of surprising that there's that much availability! I would have thought that even without the dates being announced, lots of folks would have made reservations in anticipation. How does this bode for Disney's expectation of massive crowds late this fall?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help, and hope it helps others in the same situation! I will look into Pop to see if that works. We don't have a wheelchair, she's not that bad off, she just tires easily, and I'd rather have her legs fresh for being the park and not waste her energy on getting to and from the park if possible. I sort of lean towards the boats although the skyliners seem like they will be cool.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help, and hope it helps others in the same situation! I will look into Pop to see if that works. We don't have a wheelchair, she's not that bad off, she just tires easily, and I'd rather have her legs fresh for being the park and not waste her energy on getting to and from the park if possible. I sort of lean towards the boats although the skyliners seem like they will be cool.

Even though she doesn’t need assistance at home, you might want to consider renting a scooter while you’re there.

I don't think the resort matters so much as your room's proximity to a bus stop, if it's steps you're wanting to save. Pop is closer to DHS, but if your room is far from the bus stop, you'll be walking way further than staying at a smaller resort like the Poly, for example.

Even though she doesn’t need assistance at home, you might want to consider renting a scooter while you’re there.
We did this for my sister who was fine at home/work, but would never have made it walking constantly. Was definitely worth it, plus we could use her basket for carrying water bottles and snacks!

Thanks everyone. I think pride will keep her off the scooter! It looks like we will push this trip to Easter 2020 when my daughter is off from school for two weeks and the scheduling is easier. Does anyone know how often the boats run? I'm thinking the Swan and Dolphin are the way to go. I also take note of what mamaofsix said, if there is an easier way by bus with more frequency, I'm interested in that. Thanks!

I think your best bet will be (whatever hotel you choose) to research what room numbers are closest to the lobby to save steps to whatever transportation choice you make. Fax, email AND call to request those room numbers about a week before your trip. When you check-in, if they have not given you a room close to the one you requested, ask for your room to be changed closer to the entrance for mobility purposes. I'm positive they will accommodate you!

Good Luck!!

I think the boats run every 20-30 minutes if I remember correctly. However, you should note that the boats don't run until about 30 minutes before park opening. If getting to HS before opening is important, the boats may not get you there in time.

Thanks all. Particularly the tip about the boats not running early. This is proving harder than I thought it would be. My daughter is afraid of heights, so I think the skyliner is a no go. We may just have to walk from the Swan and Dolphin.

Beach/Yacht Club, Boardwalk and Swolphin all have boats to DHS, and the boat ramp is a short walk to the front entrance of DHS (shorter than the walk from the bus stop, and you can also take the same boats to Epcot). But as others mentioned they don't run super early, so that might be a problem if you want to get there well before park opening. I would think transportation from all other resorts is about the same--you'll have to take a bus or Minnie van from every other resort (unless the gondola thingy is also going to DHS). We've stayed at Yacht Club our last 4-5 trips and regularly take the boat to DHS. You can also walk it, but it's almost a mile walk. And who knows how Star Wars world will impact the boat rides--there have been times when the boats were close to capacity and some folks had to wait for the next one to arrive, and I imagine Star Wars will exacerbate that problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter