Cleaning--one small thing a day!

DisMommyTX

DIS Veteran
The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy (the amount of disorder in a system) will increase in a closed system over time. Unfortunately my house is a rather elegant example of this. I am not a neat and tidy person by nature. My home is lovely and the guest areas are usually spotless (at least whenever anyone comes over), but the less obvious places tend to accumulate 'stuff'. Since I am a teacher, my life is divided into to parts: 1) the school year when I work full time and spend every afternoon/evening running the kids around to baseball, cheer, meetings, etc.; and 2) the summer when I am 'home' with the kids and seem to be even busier. I try to get everything cleaned out during the summer so that we can start the school year clean and organized, but it seems like such a monumental challenge and some years are more successful than others.

Last summer I tried something new, and it worked so well that I am going to do it again and thought maybe others would want to join in! My goal is to clean one small thing a day, every day. I aim for something that will take about 15 minutes most days, perhaps a drawer, a single shelf on a bookcase, the stuff on top of the washing machine, etc. These are things that don't get done on a regular daily/weekly basis in my home, like laundry, dishes, vacuuming, etc. Sometimes the kids get involved-- I offer to work with them if they want to tackle something in their room. I don't plan in advance or feel obligated to do a particular 'thing', just choose whatever I feel like doing that particular day. When I don't really want to do anything, I'll look around for whatever seems easiest--but I always do something. Other days, I get motivated to accomplish a more daunting area, but rarely one that takes more than an hour. I was amazed by how effective this strategy was last summer!

My husband was thrilled to hear that I planned to do it again this year :thumbsup2. He'll be even more excited to find out that I started today! I cleaned out the school supply drawer--it took about 10 minutes. I am looking forward to seeing what get's done by August--one small thing a day!

Want to join me?

Sounds like a plan. Count me in. I never really paid much attention until I retired in December and I'm just now starting to notice a lot of things around the house. At the same time, now that I'm not working, I seem to be busier than ever with the the grandkids and stuff. So I definitely need a plan.

I'm in. Our house desperately needs this. I'll probably need ideas at first, so please post what you've worked on. Deciding where/how to start is usually the most difficult part of any task for me.

The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy (the amount of disorder in a system) will increase in a closed system over time. Unfortunately my house is a rather elegant example of this. I am not a neat and tidy person by nature. My home is lovely and the guest areas are usually spotless (at least whenever anyone comes over), but the less obvious places tend to accumulate 'stuff'. Since I am a teacher, my life is divided into to parts: 1) the school year when I work full time and spend every afternoon/evening running the kids around to baseball, cheer, meetings, etc.; and 2) the summer when I am 'home' with the kids and seem to be even busier. I try to get everything cleaned out during the summer so that we can start the school year clean and organized, but it seems like such a monumental challenge and some years are more successful than others.

Last summer I tried something new, and it worked so well that I am going to do it again and thought maybe others would want to join in! My goal is to clean one small thing a day, every day. I aim for something that will take about 15 minutes most days, perhaps a drawer, a single shelf on a bookcase, the stuff on top of the washing machine, etc. These are things that don't get done on a regular daily/weekly basis in my home, like laundry, dishes, vacuuming, etc. Sometimes the kids get involved-- I offer to work with them if they want to tackle something in their room. I don't plan in advance or feel obligated to do a particular 'thing', just choose whatever I feel like doing that particular day. When I don't really want to do anything, I'll look around for whatever seems easiest--but I always do something. Other days, I get motivated to accomplish a more daunting area, but rarely one that takes more than an hour. I was amazed by how effective this strategy was last summer!

My husband was thrilled to hear that I planned to do it again this year :thumbsup2. He'll be even more excited to find out that I started today! I cleaned out the school supply drawer--it took about 10 minutes. I am looking forward to seeing what get's done by August--one small thing a day!

Want to join me?[/QUOTE

I've been doing this as a senior for awhile. Otherwise, tasks are overwhelming, and daunting. This is great for thinning out a closet too! :thumbsup2

^My reply above is in the quote! Too overwhelmed to type it AGAIN!

You can edit it and just add a ] in the /QUOTE tag. It looks like that got cut off somehow.

To the OP, I hate cleaning so much. I have tons of "stuff" (nerd collectibles) and they just accumulate so much dust. I need to do something about that and soon or I'll have more dust than stuff.

Love this idea! I am in! I like this idea of just a few minutes a dayto tackle a dreaded task. My drawers and cabinets need a good decluttering!

Maybe I'll try this. Maybe, lol. My biggest problem is trying to do a lot then get overwhelmed or starting in one area and drifting off to another area before I complete the first one. If I just commit to one section for a 15 minute span maybe it will work.

This is the way I usually do things. I don't have a ton of energy most days so if I can get one thing done..even if it's properly wiping down the kitchen counters, I count it as a success.

If I know a bigger job has to be done (washing towels) I usually set it as a goal for a few days in the future. Then, I can still procrastinate but get it done eventually LOL

Yesterday I wiped down the end tables and uncluttered them, and I dusted the tv/electronics/stand and the computer desk.
(not counting cleaning the bathrooms or mopping the kitchen, or laundry because I really had to do that stuff)

Today, I think I'll unclutter the bookshelves in the living room and pick up the books the cats have knocked off on the one shelf in their area.

Thanks for the motivation OP

I've been telling myself that i'd do this for a good year or so. Maybe the thread will motivate me to actually start. :D

This sounds like a great idea! It's not quite the end of the school year yet here, but I should do it for the summer too.

The kids aren't officially out until June 3rd here, but I was trying to get an early start.

Today I am clearing off the bathroom counters.

I'm in a subscribing. It makes me so angry when I am stuck at home on Saturday and Sunday mornings cleaning. This way I will say, give it 15 minutes and the day is yours.

I wiped down the outsides all of the cabinets and drawers in the kitchen today. I'll spot wipe whenever I see something obvious, but today they got the full cleaning. The layer of dust on the top of the higher cabinet doors was gross. My only excuse is that I'm short, but my cabinets reach the ceiling. I had a few more minutes left, so I cleaned the inside of the toaster oven and wiped down the fridge shelves, too.

I folded and put away/hung up all the laundry; 7 loads. (small loads, cause they dry better in the dryer, but still...) Oh, and I cleaned the litter boxes and vacuumed around them.

But that's weekly stuff, so doesn't count.

Sooo...I cleaned off 2 bookshelf units (5 shelves each) and tossed/filed stuff, and dusted them.

Hmmm, tomorrow, I will sweep the garage (it's a mess, with dirt and sawdust and dryer lint). And wipe down the fronts of the dishwasher/stove/fridge. Maybe wipe out the fridge too, since Friday/Saturday are grocery shopping days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter