Cleaning mold from wall studs?

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
We had a leak in our wall and have ripped out all the drywall and let the area dry (and fixed the leak!). There is mold on the wood studs that need to be cleaned up. Are we okay with just using bleach to clean it up before we put up new drywall or is there something else we need to do?

Any advice on how to best deal with this is appreciated -- except to hire someone else to do it, we will be doing it ourselves.

We did our own not too long ago. We didn't put the drywall back on the wall for about two weeks afterwards though because we wanted to make sure it was all gone for good. We just sprayed bleach mixed with water on it then wiped it off. It worked fine.

We have a mold issue in a basement in one of our buildings. I did everything to get rid of it. We sell chlorine so i mixed it with water and sprayed that on it (what i have is 99% chlorine where bleach is about 3%). That didn't work It just went away for a few months and came back. I researched the heck out of it and used all sorts of products , some very pricey. Guess what I found that works? Vinegar. Mold has been gone for about 2 years now (knock on wood). It stinks, bad whan you do it but all of that went away.

not sure but what about painting the studs afterwards to try and seal in what might be there? We have friends that had a company come in because their bathroom vents weren't properly done and ended up with mold in the attic. I think they ended up painting the whole attic after spraying and cleaning off mold and before reinsulating.

We have a mold issue in a basement in one of our buildings. I did everything to get rid of it. We sell chlorine so i mixed it with water and sprayed that on it (what i have is 99% chlorine where bleach is about 3%). That didn't work It just went away for a few months and came back. I researched the heck out of it and used all sorts of products , some very pricey. Guess what I found that works? Vinegar. Mold has been gone for about 2 years now (knock on wood). It stinks, bad whan you do it but all of that went away.

did you just spray it and then let it sit or did you wash with a sponge. I had mold on the wall in my bathroom and used the Tilex mold and mildew cleaner. I really did not expect much but I sprayed it on and then came back awhile later and it was gone and has not returned in like three years. I will try vinagar because I have had a leak too and we have mold on the first floor ceiling (under the suspended ceiling ) from the second floor.

We had a leak in our wall and have ripped out all the drywall and let the area dry (and fixed the leak!). There is mold on the wood studs that need to be cleaned up. Are we okay with just using bleach to clean it up before we put up new drywall or is there something else we need to do?

Any advice on how to best deal with this is appreciated -- except to hire someone else to do it, we will be doing it ourselves.

I always thought that bleach did not get rid of the mold that got into the wood and one needed to replace the wood too. Call a mold abatement place to see if bleach is enough.

not sure but what about painting the studs afterwards to try and seal in what might be there? We have friends that had a company come in because their bathroom vents weren't properly done and ended up with mold in the attic. I think they ended up painting the whole attic after spraying and cleaning off mold and before reinsulating.

We have friends that did this exactly. After clean up they painted with KILZ i think it was. The kind that is supposed to help be mold resistant.

Kelly

I was going to say the same thing. I haven't had to use it (knock on wood) but I read that bleach actually creates the right atmosphere for mould growth. Where I used to work we had very bad mould issues and they used bleach, but it didn't fix anything and we just continued to stew in the mouldy atmosphere. It's one of the reasons I no longer work there.

Another bonus with using vinegar is that it isn't toxic like bleach. Bleach fumes are very dangerous.

did you just spray it and then let it sit or did you wash with a sponge. I had mold on the wall in my bathroom and used the Tilex mold and mildew cleaner. I really did not expect much but I sprayed it on and then came back awhile later and it was gone and has not returned in like three years. I will try vinagar because I have had a leak too and we have mold on the first floor ceiling (under the suspended ceiling ) from the second floor.

Sorry for the delay! We put it in spray bottles and sprayed it on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter