Cleaning mold from wall studs?

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
Moderator
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
We had a leak in our wall and have ripped out all the drywall and let the area dry (and fixed the leak!). There is mold on the wood studs that need to be cleaned up. Are we okay with just using bleach to clean it up before we put up new drywall or is there something else we need to do?

Any advice on how to best deal with this is appreciated -- except to hire someone else to do it, we will be doing it ourselves.
 

momof3disneyholics

<font color=royalblue>Maternal Unit Extraordinaire
Joined
Jul 13, 2003
We did our own not too long ago. We didn't put the drywall back on the wall for about two weeks afterwards though because we wanted to make sure it was all gone for good. We just sprayed bleach mixed with water on it then wiped it off. It worked fine.
 

PghLybrt

DIS Veteran
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
We have a mold issue in a basement in one of our buildings. I did everything to get rid of it. We sell chlorine so i mixed it with water and sprayed that on it (what i have is 99% chlorine where bleach is about 3%). That didn't work It just went away for a few months and came back. I researched the heck out of it and used all sorts of products , some very pricey. Guess what I found that works? Vinegar. Mold has been gone for about 2 years now (knock on wood). It stinks, bad whan you do it but all of that went away.
 
  • dawson5

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jul 15, 2009
    not sure but what about painting the studs afterwards to try and seal in what might be there? We have friends that had a company come in because their bathroom vents weren't properly done and ended up with mold in the attic. I think they ended up painting the whole attic after spraying and cleaning off mold and before reinsulating.
     

    Bella the Ball 360

    Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.<br><font
    Joined
    Jun 30, 2003
    We have a mold issue in a basement in one of our buildings. I did everything to get rid of it. We sell chlorine so i mixed it with water and sprayed that on it (what i have is 99% chlorine where bleach is about 3%). That didn't work It just went away for a few months and came back. I researched the heck out of it and used all sorts of products , some very pricey. Guess what I found that works? Vinegar. Mold has been gone for about 2 years now (knock on wood). It stinks, bad whan you do it but all of that went away.
    did you just spray it and then let it sit or did you wash with a sponge. I had mold on the wall in my bathroom and used the Tilex mold and mildew cleaner. I really did not expect much but I sprayed it on and then came back awhile later and it was gone and has not returned in like three years. I will try vinagar because I have had a leak too and we have mold on the first floor ceiling (under the suspended ceiling ) from the second floor.
     

    wdwfan16

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jul 21, 2009
    We had a leak in our wall and have ripped out all the drywall and let the area dry (and fixed the leak!). There is mold on the wood studs that need to be cleaned up. Are we okay with just using bleach to clean it up before we put up new drywall or is there something else we need to do?

    Any advice on how to best deal with this is appreciated -- except to hire someone else to do it, we will be doing it ourselves.
    I always thought that bleach did not get rid of the mold that got into the wood and one needed to replace the wood too. Call a mold abatement place to see if bleach is enough.
     

    kellyg403

    <font color=green>She changes friends like she cha
    Joined
    Aug 20, 2005
    not sure but what about painting the studs afterwards to try and seal in what might be there? We have friends that had a company come in because their bathroom vents weren't properly done and ended up with mold in the attic. I think they ended up painting the whole attic after spraying and cleaning off mold and before reinsulating.
    We have friends that did this exactly. After clean up they painted with KILZ i think it was. The kind that is supposed to help be mold resistant.

    Kelly
     
  • suejai

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Feb 28, 2009
    We have a mold issue in a basement in one of our buildings. I did everything to get rid of it. We sell chlorine so i mixed it with water and sprayed that on it (what i have is 99% chlorine where bleach is about 3%). That didn't work It just went away for a few months and came back. I researched the heck out of it and used all sorts of products , some very pricey. Guess what I found that works? Vinegar. Mold has been gone for about 2 years now (knock on wood). It stinks, bad whan you do it but all of that went away.
    I was going to say the same thing. I haven't had to use it (knock on wood) but I read that bleach actually creates the right atmosphere for mould growth. Where I used to work we had very bad mould issues and they used bleach, but it didn't fix anything and we just continued to stew in the mouldy atmosphere. It's one of the reasons I no longer work there.

    Another bonus with using vinegar is that it isn't toxic like bleach. Bleach fumes are very dangerous.
     

    PghLybrt

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jun 9, 2006
    did you just spray it and then let it sit or did you wash with a sponge. I had mold on the wall in my bathroom and used the Tilex mold and mildew cleaner. I really did not expect much but I sprayed it on and then came back awhile later and it was gone and has not returned in like three years. I will try vinagar because I have had a leak too and we have mold on the first floor ceiling (under the suspended ceiling ) from the second floor.
    Sorry for the delay! We put it in spray bottles and sprayed it on!
     

    Connect

    Disney News and Updates

    Daily Updates and News




    Top