Clarity on borrowing points and losing if not used?

meryll83

All it takes is faith and trust...
Unfortunately our October 2020 trip won't be going ahead as our flight from the UK has officially been cancelled.

We'll probably spend some points this use year now, but not all, so will bank the remainder, but we'd borrowed 2 points from next year... am I right in thinking we'll lose these as we'd be unable to bank them back, and they'd be the last points to get spent now from our current use year (we couldn't ask that these get used before the current year?)

Or if I bank now, before rebooking, everything we won't need for the new trip - would that be the way round it? As they'd have to get used up then?

Currently, DVC has Covid-related, temporary rules in place, and if you were to cancel that Oct 2020 trip now: (a) even if you are less than 31-days before planned arrival date, there is no "holding" rule appleid, and points return to your account without the holding rule use restrictions; and (b) any points in the cancelled reservation that were borrowed from your 2021 use year will be returned to their original 2021 use year, although that actual return may not appear in your account until.about a week after you cancel. Be aware, however, that the regular banking rules remain in place for the 2020 use year points and thus you must bank them within the 8th month banking window. Also, if the cancelled reservation has in it already banked points from the 2019 use year, they will still have to be used by no later than the end of your 2020 use year.

And if you know you have to cancel, and want those Covid-related rules to apply, then you should not delay in doing the cancellation because those temporary Covid-related modification of the usual rules could be ended at any time. And also note that because of the delay after cancellation in actually returning points to your 2021 use year, you should not make a new reservation online for dates inside your 2020 use year before that return of the borrowed points to the 2021 use year actually occurs, because the system will still use those borrowed 2021 points in the reservation before using current use year points.

Last edited:
Ah interesting, thanks for this.
So the 2 points I borrowed from 2021 will automatically go back into 2021 - I don't need to do anything to request this?

Unfortunately I think I'll have to make the new reservation within the week in order to secure the availability we want...

So the 2 points I borrowed from 2021 will automatically go back into 2021 - I don't need to do anything to request this?

Unfortunately I think I'll have to make the new reservation within the week in order to secure the availability we want...
They should be returned within a week. It appears that they are being batch processed on Thursdays. But if they have not been returned by the time that you wish to book your new reservation, then you can call Member Services and ask the CM if they can be returned immediately so that you can.

You are not supposed to need to request the return of borrowed points to 2021, but you may eventually have to do it because DVC fails to make the return. As is typical for DVC, it sometimes fails to do what it is supposed to do, e.g., when I did a cancellation with borrowed points, no return happened for almost three weeks. I called and got a typical oops response for the oversight and then it was done.

If you have to make a reservation before the points are actually returned to 2021, and you do not want to use those borrowed points for the reservation, then you should call to do the reservation and ask that the points be returned before the reservation is actually done while you are on the phone.

Just fyi. I canceled our BWV reservation for early Jan today as the Disney Marathon was just canceled. I was planning on using 87 borrowed points from our October 2021 use year. No problem with DVC agreeing to put them back into our 2021 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter