• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Clam Bake at Cape May

baw

Mouseketeer
has anyone done the clam bake dinner buffet at cape may? we're doing the dining plan again this year and this looks like a fun and yummy TS option. any reviews?

We have done it many times, we love it! If you click on my Oct link you will find a full review and a ton of buffet pictures. Hope you enjoy CMC!

Cape May is must-do for us! We usually end up going twice during each trip. They have a great variety of food, and it's not all seafood. At the end of May, they also had crab legs on the buffet, so that was an added bonus.

If you like shellfish, it's a nice place. We ate there a couple weeks ago. DH ate his weight in shrimp, crab legs, clams and mussels. He loved it. The kids and I don't eat shellfish and were not very happy with the other food. Ribs were tough and drenched in bbq sauce and the carved beef was dry and flavorless. Nothing stood out as particularly good, except the service. Our waitress was terrific.

Does any one know when they have crab legs and when they do not?

DD and her DH just returned from their honeymoon in Disney and said they had crab legs at their Cape May dinner but when I check the menu they are not listed.

We are going in late November early December and I would love to have some crab legs!:cool1:

thanks for the info everyone. i think we're going to give it a try. our group likes fish/shellfish but (most of us) aren't too crazy about ribs/beef so it sounds perfect!

DD and her DH just returned from their honeymoon in Disney and said they had crab legs at their Cape May dinner but when I check the menu they are not listed.

We are going in late November early December and I would love to have some crab legs!:cool1:

I would like to know this too. We are going late June and the crab legs would be an added bonus and make my uncertainty go away.

We ate there on May 29 and May 31. We asked about the crab legs, since they'd never had them on our previous trips. We were told that they were "testing" them, which I assume meant how much affect they had on profits.

I hope they still have them in October!

Oh I hope they still have the crab legs for our trip in two weeks!

DH and I love crab legs. Oh well at least I know I'll eat my money's worth of the steamed clams!

1) The crab legs are a test.
2) They want to see if the eatery can still make a good profit.
3) If people pig out on them, then they will stop.
4) If people are reasonable, then they MIGHT continue.
5) Let's face it, the restuarant still has to maintain a good margin.

UPDATE:
The trial is over and the crab legs are gone.
Now, they do the accounting to see if they want to bring them back.
Simple equation.
Did people eat more crab legs than the profit generated?

I also have a question, Can anybody confirm the fried fish is Thurs. also. We have had it a couple of times on Friday, we need to do CMC on Thurs. during this years trip.

Glad to hear the crab legs are back. I hope they are there when we go in Oct. We would be glad to pay a surcharge for a bucket of legs like they used to offer.

We loved it! I do not eat fish or seafood and had plenty of other items to eat. I hate to see another poster didn't have such a good experience when she went. I thought the baked chicken was perfectly cooked. The mac & cheese was amazing. My husband loved the ribs. He also loved all the seafood. It is now on our must do list.

I also have a question, Can anybody confirm the fried fish is Thurs. also. We have had it a couple of times on Friday, we need to do CMC on Thurs. during this years trip.

Glad to hear the crab legs are back. I hope they are there when we go in Oct. We would be glad to pay a surcharge for a bucket of legs like they used to offer.

We were told they have fried fish on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. During our March and May trips, that held true. When we ate there on May 31, a Sunday, they had some kind of baked salmon dish.

Hope this helps!

Cape May is must-do for us! We usually end up going twice during each trip. They have a great variety of food, and it's not all seafood. At the end of May, they also had crab legs on the buffet, so that was an added bonus.
Crab legs you say? Time to head back there! DH is a big fan of Cape May because he loves the mussels, but they've never had crab legs in our previous visits so I stick to the chicken (very moist and good). But I am a crab leg fanatic so I think we're going to be returning there very, very soon.

We loved it! I do not eat fish or seafood and had plenty of other items to eat. I hate to see another poster didn't have such a good experience when she went. I thought the baked chicken was perfectly cooked. The mac & cheese was amazing. My husband loved the ribs. He also loved all the seafood. It is now on our must do list.

I agree!!! I enjoy some of the seafood & also love the chicken and the salads.
My family always enjoys their meals at Cape May.

My DH's favorite place is Cape May! We have eaten there several times but we have not ever seen crab legs but it would be nice to see them when we visit in Sept. Good kids choices too!

CRAB LEGS?!?!

I am so jealous. PLEASE let this be a permanent change. On the one hand, if the crab legs are even half decent, people are sure to pig out on the them, so I don't see how they'll keep their profit margins without raising the price (which would be fine by me if the crab is good). On the other hand, when I went to Cape May, I noticed that a lot of people eating there weren't even eating the clams. So maybe if there are enough landlubbers being dragged to Cape May by seafood-piggies, Disney can still make money. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

CRAB LEGS?!?!

I am so jealous. PLEASE let this be a permanent change. On the one hand, if the crab legs are even half decent, people are sure to pig out on the them, so I don't see how they'll keep their profit margins without raising the price (which would be fine by me if the crab is good). On the other hand, when I went to Cape May, I noticed that a lot of people eating there weren't even eating the clams. So maybe if there are enough landlubbers being dragged to Cape May by seafood-piggies, Disney can still make money. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hopefully there are enough families/couples like us - he loves seafood/fish and I don't so we would balance it for you. ;) He really wants them to have the crab legs in December. I hope they last that long. Like someone else said even a reasonable surcharge would be okay.

On May 29 and 31, we had the same two-seat booth right across from the crab legs. It was interesting to see people's reactions and hear their comments. We were surprised to see that people didn't really pig out on them, but they did go through quite a lot of legs because the restaurant was packed. We still saw more people with buckets of clams and mussels than crab legs.

We overheard several people who had never eaten them and had no idea how to crack them open, which was made even more difficult by the fact that the crab crackers were late coming in.

Maybe they'll stick around for awhile...at least through October! ;)

1) The crab legs are a test.
2) They want to see if the eatery can still make a good profit.
3) If people pig out on them, then they will stop.
4) If people are reasonable, then they MIGHT continue.
5) Let's face it, the restuarant still has to maintain a good margin.

When we were there in late May there were people eating them and a lot more not eating them. The way I look at it, if people "pig out on them" there are still more people not "pigging out" on them so it evens out. If no one eats them then they will go away as an item that is not a winner. All you can eat places always make a very good profit because for the person who eats a great deal of food. There is a bunch more that have one or two plates. I believe they will be there for a while until the price of legs goes up.

To answer another posters question, The legs were the best we have had ever at a buffet. They were very tasty and crisp. We only had a few that were hard to crack( you know, instead of braking they just bend ) they were awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter