Cinderella Castle Makeover (March through Summer 2020)

Regardless of what Disney does or when they do it, someone is going to be unhappy with something they do, even if its improving something for later, someone is always going to be effected and not be happy. Epcot is finally getting a MUCH needed overhaul, one that had to be done. And everyone complained and complained about how sterile the park had become. Yet now that they are doing the work, many of those same people are complaining about all the work being done and how bad Epcot looks, not to mention the new dual rope drop due to the work. These are major projects that cant just be done at night or on a whim. They require time and yes it provides inconvenience. 2020 was already not a good year to plan on going even with the new attractions opening. Everyone knew major prep was going to start for the 50th. Does make it tough on those who are going.

What are they doing to Epcot? Why do I not know this?

Hmm. Maybe that could apply to that timeframe. But I don't think that means the entire project over the course of months has no scaffolding, scrims, or tarps, no?
It's not a confirmation, no, but it is promising that if the project isn't starting with scrims during the more "off season" period, then they wouldn't likely be adding scrims during the busier "peak periods".
DLand worked the opposite way. Doing the ugliest and worst of it during the "low season" winter months and taking away large bits of it as Spring break crowds descended.

Can someone explain the use of the term "scrim" in this context? All I see regarding a search is a type of shade used to filter or otherwise alter lighting for photography.

I'm still far from convinced that the whole castle will be covered up. There has been no reason to believe that. DLand's was covered because they had to replace the entire roof and there were moat issues. They had redo brick work and sidewalks... this is just paint and some touret accents. Not the same thing
I hope you are right.

I think what makes folks mad is not the face that the work is being done but lack of advance notice. Would it have killed them to announce this earlier? We have to plan so far ahead, it would be nice if they would give us info we could use to plan. For example, I have a CRT reservation and won’t be happy to have paid close to $400 for a meal with a view of a bunch of scaffolding. I’d be even more upset if I had booked one of their expensive fireworks parties and have a subpar show due to construction.

I know it sounds crazy but my fingers are crossed very tightly that they can get it done by June. If they only took a month for DL surely they can do DW in not much longer? This is my first trip since being a kid (nearly 20 years ago) and extra special as it’s my partner’s first ever time visiting. It’s taken me years to persuade him!I’ve put so much energy into this trip already and one of my main memories from being a kid is being mesmorised by the castle as you see it from Main Street. I think a scrim would just take away so much magic. I guess I can deal with a little scaffolding but i’m Hoping beyond hope that the castle can be just as magical come June!

I know it sounds crazy but my fingers are crossed very tightly that they can get it done by June. If they only took a month for DL surely they can do DW in not much longer? This is my first trip since being a kid (nearly 20 years ago) and extra special as it’s my partner’s first ever time visiting. It’s taken me years to persuade him!I’ve put so much energy into this trip already and one of my main memories from being a kid is being mesmorised by the castle as you see it from Main Street. I think a scrim would just take away so much magic. I guess I can deal with a little scaffolding but i’m Hoping beyond hope that the castle can be just as magical come June!
Uh. It took 4 months at Dland.

When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of this & got nervous :rotfl2:
1997-02-cakestle.jpg
I have a soft spot for that castle overlay . . . it's equal parts "WHAT were they THINKING?!?" and also pure whimsy. I wish I could have seen it!
My first ever visit to WDW was in Nov of 96, and back then you didn't get advance notice on the internet saying "Hey! The castle looks like a cartoon cake straight outta Candy Land! Just a heads up!" Nope, unless you knew someone that was there with pictures/video, you had no clue since it was apparently only done that month before. I had that vacation planning video from 1995 (the one in the pink box with Goofy on it lol), and all I saw every time I watched was a regular Cinderella castle. It hyped me up. My 7 year old self was too giddy to handle. I practically ran into the park ready to see this majestic marvel that was "the castle at Walt Disney World". It was like what you see in commercials with the little kids having their dreams come true.

Then I saw the castle in the ^ above form and stopped dead in my tracks. I was incredibly confused. :laughing:

I went again in July of 97, saw the castle was still a derpy cake, and was 1000% convinced it was gonna stay like that forever. My now 8-year-old mind was that much wiser with experience, clearly. :rolleyes2

For years to come I felt I got robbed of the true Disney experience. As I'm older though, I'm actually glad I saw this in person. I feel like I'm part of a semi-exclusive club that gets to say "Yeah, I saw this! I WAS THERE! It's indeed real!" :thumbsup2 It's something that most likely will NEVER happen again to that magnitude (since apparently it was so disliked? Personally I would've been livid if I walked in on the Stitch Castle. That just looked trashy compared to this lol). I mean, it WAS the 90s, guys and gals. Not too many things were safe from the style and spectacle of the 90s, especially not Disney.

Anyways, as to what I think of this recent announcement of the makeover for the castle, I think it looks alright, it could'be been MUCH worse, at least it still looks regal. The dark blue portion they're 'adding' isn't really gonna be new though. I believe the castle had a paint job a few years ago, and it was that dark blue color then. It's just the Florida sun faded it so much that it no longer looks that way. So I think they just added that in to take the opportunity to retouch it, not necessarily related to Cinderella's 70th anniversary.

I'll be in MK on Sunday, so as long as they don't add any scaffolding/skrim/cranes/etc until March 1st, I'll be okay. It's been 10 years since I've been there, it'll be my birthday, please WDW, cut me (and the rest of us out there) some slack.

From the announcement on disney.go.com:
While temporary construction equipment may be present while Cinderella Castle receives its royal makeover, it will remain uncovered and we will do our best to ensure guests are still able to capture special photos and memories in this iconic spot.
Jason Kirk on February 19, 2020 at 10:02 am

Fingers crossed 🤞that this remains true. It has such a wow factor- seems like the magic and pixie dust emanates from it! Would hate to miss that on our trip in August, but even more so would hate for first timers to miss out on it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter