Cinco de Mayo solo trip: Salsa, Tequila and NUTS? UPDATED 6-10

Decided to think about flying this time instead of driving. Found a $125 round trip from Miami on American. Why not? Woke up about 5:00 am to finish packing and get ready for the shuttle pick-up at 6:00. Didn’t really sleep much of the night but that is typical before I leave on a trip.
What day did you wake up at 5:00? Was is a Friday or was it on Saturday? :stir:
We were about 5th on the runway but they eventually got us out of there. A pic from the air of the new Marlin’s Ballpark. Notice the roof is open.
IMG_3986.jpg
OOohhhhh.....looks nice. Next time you fly, make sure you schedule it for game time. That way you can see the game for free!

It was only about a 35 minute flight so we went up to cruising altitude and immediately started descending.
Seems to me that they could save all that fuel they burned to get to 30,000 feet and just make the run at about 1000' off the ground. Good thrill ride, too.

Sat on the bus for another 15 minutes as they waited for more people to show up. Unfortunately, a family with two obnoxious kids were right in front of me. They were bouncing off the walls, jumping in their chairs and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Too bad I left the duct tape at home.
Right next to the taser, I assume.

The Turbo Toilet
IMG_4005.jpg
Will it flush a live chicken?
Why Guest Services you ask? When I was in New York to check out colleges with the Princess, my wallet was stolen. As an aside, try getting on a plane without any ID. Not recommended. Guess what was in the wallet. Yep, my AP.
I can just see the flyers taped up to poles all over NYC. "Stolen: wallet. Keep the cash and credit cards, just return the WDW AP."

It was ridiculously hot and wanted to go to the Rose and Crown for a libation. Still had problems walking long distances (it is getting better)
I have that problem too. Only it's after I drink the libations...

Went over to Norway look into the shops (And no not to check out the Norwegian female CMs).
That was just a bonus, right?

An earlier times version of Fed (Dis Dad forum joke)
Rumor has it that this is actually Fed's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-grandfather. Fëdngärd.

And add your own caption for who this is here (Barry, Tim, Norm?)
IMG_4035.jpg
By the way he's resting his Achilles, it must be Tim.

Up next: Checking in at AKV. AKA Kidani or Jambo? Did I guess right? I bet you can already answer that.
Could have been worse. You could have showed up at Old Key West and asked where the f*#$!n zebras were.

We interrupt this trip report to announce that one month from today I will be waking up at the Royal Kona Resort in Kona, Hawaii. Just booked our helicopter tour of the volcanos and waterfalls of the Big Island. A few days diving at Kona then a week at Aluani. Can't wait.

Lucky!!! Post pics of A in her cap and gown, please.

kate

You gave the trip report a "Nuts" title! Now it's official :)

Thanks for giving me credit on the trivia question. It is one of the videos in my DH's oldies collection-after I conferred with him for the answer, we then made popcorn, curled up on the sofa, and watched it again that night.

We are all looking forward to pictures-too bad that the weather wasn't the greatest during your stay, but it sounds like you managed to make the best of it. Looking forward to hearing about the Jiko/Boma tour!

The Marx Brothers are true comedic geniuses. Have probably seen every one of their pictures a billion times.

Ah, the Stave church! We have fond memories of the place, as it is a cool place to explore while waiting for an Akershus ADR. Also, it has more appeal to DS than the impending dinner with princesses! :rotfl:

Maybe they should have a boys area at Akershus dedicated to Vikings.

Sounds like a nice day other than the heat!

It was hot out there. But you are right it was a good day.

Very nice beginning to the report! I love the cool air in the Stave church and it is usually quiet in there because most people don't even bother to venture in.

The Cantina is where I had that margarita that nearly had me fallling down by the time I got to the other side of WS. It was delicious, but very, very strong...especially on a day of intense heat.

I never saw that troll before-I can think of several people to name him after :laughing:

Thanks. We were all feeling no pain after the meet.

HOLY COW! We love the Big Island. And your resort will be close to downtown Kona so you won't have to fight parking problems--you can just walk. Have a blast! Wish I were going too!

First and probably only trip to Hawaii. Can't wait. Any recommendations on dining would be appreciated.

What day did you wake up at 5:00? Was is a Friday or was it on Saturday? :stir:

Smart A$$. The chilly primate is referring to the fact that I thought the vacation started on Friday. When I went to check in on line for the flight, found out I was not leaving until Saturday. Another idiot moment.

Will it flush a live chicken?

Never tried. Have you? Maybe we should consult our resident commode expert.

Rumor has it that this is actually Fed's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-grandfather. Fëdngärd.

By the way he's resting his Achilles, it must be Tim.

Both funny comments. If Tim was here I am sure he would ask if you have eaten any bugs lately while jogging?

Could have been worse. You could have showed up at Old Key West and asked where the f*#$!n zebras were.

I was at least at the right resort area. You are right, it could have been worse.

Lucky!!! Post pics of A in her cap and gown, please. kate

Graduation day is June 6. Will bore everyone with pics of the kid.

Here is a picture from the prom. The boy with her hands on her waist mysteriously disappeared not long after that picture was taken.
Prom1.jpg

And a staged one for her Senior pictures
Seniorthumbsup-Version2.jpg

Enjoying your report - glad to see you didn't let your points go to waste.

Thanks. I read somewhere that letting DVC points expire is a felony in Florida punishable by 5 years of hard time in the State Penitentiary. .

We interrupt this trip report to announce that one month from today I will be waking up at the Royal Kona Resort in Kona, Hawaii. Just booked our helicopter tour of the volcanos and waterfalls of the Big Island. A few days diving at Kona then a week at Aluani. Can't wait.

How awesome! I love Kona, but it's been so long since I've been there I'm sure all the restaurants have changed. Now when you get to the VGC, there I can help you out with!

Wow, I read this the other day and apparently I forgot to post a reply.

The room was clean and everything worked.
Well, that's a good start. :thumbsup2

Went over to Norway look into the shops (And no not to check out the Norwegian female CMs).
Yeah, right.;)

So went back to the group that was huddled in one corner outside the bar. First real meet with a larger group of Disney Geeks. There were many kindred soles there and it was fun getting to know some of them. Len must had bought 20-30 shots for the group. Needless to say, many of us were feeling little pain as time wore on. Even though I only finished half of my margarita.
I'm jealous of you... I really would have loved to have been able to attend that event.

Was going to stop at Sunshine Seasons but instead stumbled back to the bus to Pop. Was a bit hungry so got a roast beef and blue cheese sandwich to take back to the room. Also got a couple of batteries.
That food court is my favorite thing about POP. They've got just about anything you could want, and most of it is pretty good.:rotfl2:

So travel day and the first night at the World was in the books. A good day all around. Upgraded to first, the room was ready at check in, and the meet was fun.
Great first day.:thumbsup2

Universal Studios?

No...They chain you in the front seat of one of the boats in IASW and don't let you off for an entire day=5 years of hard time in the State Penitentiary :lmao:

Very nice! One always has to have one trip in planning while the trip report is being written!

I'm saving this one on the bucket list to take my DM along-my DF has ALS and is failing fast-I decided Aulani would be a good place to start healing as they had never been to Hawaii before.

How awesome! I love Kona, but it's been so long since I've been there I'm sure all the restaurants have changed. Now when you get to the VGC, there I can help you out with!

I will take you up on your offer.

Universal Studios?

Like Andy, I enjoy Universal. Maybe Legoland?

Yeah, right.;)

Well maybe when I was in college about a century ago.

I'm jealous of you... I really would have loved to have been able to attend that event.

It was pretty cool. Don't know what Testa spent but it was a few bucks. A bunch of Disney Uber-Geeks hanging out. Funny thing was I fit in. Wonder why?

That food court is my favorite thing about POP. They've got just about anything you could want, and most of it is pretty good.:rotfl2:

Agree. That sandwich was killer.

We liked this one, not too far out of Kona (but you will need a car):
http://www.jackiereys.com/

In downtown Kona (you can walk), we had 2 surprisingly good meals here--and the view is terrific, prices reasonable:
http://www.fishhopper.com/kona/

Thanks for the tips. Like the Fishhopper place. Won't have a car at Kona am sure we can get a cab if necessary.

No...They chain you in the front seat of one of the boats in IASW and don't let you off for an entire day=5 years of hard time in the State Penitentiary :lmao:

Oh the Humanity!

Very nice! One always has to have one trip in planning while the trip report is being written!

I'm saving this one on the bucket list to take my DM along-my DF has ALS and is failing fast-I decided Aulani would be a good place to start healing as they had never been to Hawaii before.

Need to end this TR soon. Actually have a pre-pre TR running on Hawaii and this one going at the same time on the boards.

DD's mom fought something similar. Thoughts to you and your family. We found WDW was a good healing place. Hawaii should be even better. It is going to be tough when DD graduates next week. One of the reasons for this trip.

Day 2: Checking into AKV AKA The bus trip from hell

Lazy morning. Still woke up about 6:00 am but laid in the bed watching the news. Wish I could sleep later but it just doesn’t happen. The plan today was to stay at Pop until just before 11:00 and take the bus to AKL. Put the “Do Not Disturb” sign in the door. Well, I would have if the room had one.

Walked around the resort a bit to get a few pictures.

IMG_4069.jpg

The Computer Pool
IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

Where is Jessica? You know she is not bad, she is just drawn that way.
IMG_4078.jpg

My view from the elevator
IMG_4075.jpg

So after the walk around, I took a shower and packed the bags. Let Mousekeeping know I was checking out and headed to the bus stop. And guess what? I got lost again. Ended up walking all the way around the parking lot to get to the bus stop. I don’t know what it is. I could blame senility but it is still a early yet for that. And I do not need comments on either of those from the peanut gallery.

So get to the bus and I pick the Downtown Disney one. Why, because there is not many people in line. The bus comes after a while and I board and take a seat. As we are driving I realize the error of my ways. I am going to the furthest point on Disney property from the AKL. Plus we have to stop at Typhoon Lagoon. (No one got off or got on at this stop naturally)

We continue the drive and are stopped at practically every stop light. Why? Because our driver thinks it is prudent to go 5 MPH. Maybe a slight exaggeration but not by much. Finally pull into the Marketplace.

Proving that god sometimes smiles on fools, as I was getting off, the AKL bus was just pulling in. YES! But then we had to go to the West End stop. After waiting a few minutes there, it was off to.... Blizzard Beach. (Again no one got on or off) Finally we pull into Jambo House. Since I am staying at Kidani, I stay on the bus while people load on and off. At last we pull into the entrance to Kidani. Hallelujah!

Stroll into the lobby with a big smile on my face. A couple of people ahead of me at check in and I patiently wait for my turn. Gave my name, ID and credit card to the CM. A few taps on the keyboard and he smiles at me and tells me he has good news and bad news. I figured the bad news was my room wasn’t ready. NOPE.

The bad news was I was at the wrong resort. I am at Jambo, not Kidani. OK, forgot when I was leaving on vacation and now I am at the wrong resort. Maybe senility is sinking in. (Again, no comments needed) In my defense, Kidani has by far most of the DVC rooms so it made sense I was staying there. I also used to be an uber-planner. Reservations printed out in triplicate, ADRs planned 180 days out along with the park invasion scenarios made day by day. Gave that up a while ago. Hey, I am a WDW veteran. Maybe need to rethink that. I do guarantee you though that the Hawaii and California trip is well planned and important things are documented.

The good news was that he could check me in and I would only have to take the shuttle back to Jambo. Oh, and the room wasn’t ready. So get the paperwork and head out to Jambo. The van that shuttles back and forth from the resorts took about 15 minutes. Pull up to my resort. A very nice greeter is there asking if I was checking in. Told her no, already done. Did not tell her it was done at Kidani and I am staying here. Drop my bag off at Bell Services.

It was well after noon so decided to get something to eat. Headed to Mara, one of the best food courts in all of WDW. Ordered the double cheeseburger with fries. Also as you can see, I got the mug.
IMG_4081.jpg

Figured since I did not have a car, and no snacks pre packed, thought it would be a better deal. And easier. Ate outside and the meal was OK. The sandwich at Pop was way better. Still waiting for the text to tell me my room was ready so headed to the pool. Bellied up to the bar pool and met two terrific CM’s Laura and Kim.

Since I am the shy, retiring type it took me a while to warm up to them. Kim is expecting a baby soon and Laura is a DVC member and avid traveler. We started talking and somehow the Hawaii/California trip came up. They let me know that one of the supervisors was at Aluani for 6 months. So they told me they would get him to come by to give me some insider tips on the resort and Hawaii in general. They paged him and we spent a lot of time talking about Hawaii. Gave some good tips on where to eat and things to do there. Really nice of the three of them to go out of their way to do that.

I was then texted that the room was ready and I told them I’ll probably see them tomorrow. Finish my cocktail and head to Bell Services to get the bag. Down the hall. At least I know my way around here.

The room. It was about midway down the wing.
IMG_4082.jpg

And Barry, I didn’t check to see if it could flush a live chicken
IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4085.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

This was a standard view but got a decent view of the Savanna
IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

CJ?
IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Chilled in the room for a while and went back to Mara and the store for munchies. That night was a trip to the pool for another cocktail and to take a dip. Two tweens were picking on a much smaller kid and it got me mad. Told them to knock it off and had a mini run in with their dad but they soon left. Some people. No further comments on how some people should not be parents. Went back to the bar and got another cocktail. Felt better and relaxed the rest of the night.

Went to bed early tonight but before I did, took this picture
IMG_4097.jpg

All in all a somewhat frustrating day. Mainly because I shot myself in the foot many times. But I am at Disney World and even if I made many wrong turns almost since waking up, it was another good day. Next time I will take a cab when checking into another resort.

UP Next: DHS and Free Food at Boma and Jiko. AKA Cool!

I don’t know what it is. I could blame senility but it is still a early yet for that. And I do not need comments on either of those from the peanut gallery.
Too bad, you're getting them anyway...

I didn't realize POP Century was that confusing. :lmao:

So get to the bus and I pick the Downtown Disney one. Why, because there is not many people in line. The bus comes after a while and I board and take a seat. As we are driving I realize the error of my ways. I am going to the furthest point on Disney property from the AKL. Plus we have to stop at Typhoon Lagoon.
:headache: Rookie move for a veteran...

The bad news was I was at the wrong resort.
Wow... what a great day! :headache: :lmao:

I do guarantee you though that the Hawaii and California trip is well planned and important things are documented.
I guess we'll find out when you get to that TR.:rolleyes1

Also as you can see, I got the mug.
But did you get it at Mara or did you bring it with you from POP??? :confused3 :rotfl2:

Gave some good tips on where to eat and things to do there. Really nice of the three of them to go out of their way to do that.
Wow. That is the type of service that makes Disney what it is.:thumbsup2

Why not??? You were at AKL. Surely they had some chickens or some other equivalent sized bird running around there somewhere.

Next time I will take a cab when checking into another resort.
And the fact that you learned something makes all the trouble worthwhile. :lmao::rotfl2:

At least it was a pretty good, relaxing day once you finally got to AKL. I'd take a day like that over a day at work, anytime.:thumbsup2

The bad news was I was at the wrong resort. I am at Jambo, not Kidani. OK, forgot when I was leaving on vacation and now I am at the wrong resort. Maybe senility is sinking in. (Again, no comments needed) In my defense, Kidani has by far most of the DVC rooms so it made sense I was staying there. I also used to be an uber-planner. Reservations printed out in triplicate, ADRs planned 180 days out along with the park invasion scenarios made day by day. Gave that up a while ago. Hey, I am a WDW veteran. Maybe need to rethink that. I do guarantee you though that the Hawaii and California trip is well planned and important things are documented.

I totally did that with an ADR a couple of trips back. I was so proud of myself for using the online system. Then I realized (before the trip, luckily) that I made the ADR for the wrong day, one of our travel day. Of course, there was NOTHING left when I tried to rebook. I just figure that cancelling the ADR made someone else's day. pixiedust:

I totally blame it on the relaxed attitude of DVC :rotfl:

This was a standard view but got a decent view of the Savanna So was it a value room? Standard views at Jambo are usually pool views, I believe. I think your Boardwalk is showing! ;)
IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

CJ?
IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

IMG_4092.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

That night was a trip to the pool for another cocktail and to take a dip. Two tweens were picking on a much smaller kid and it got me mad. Told them to knock it off and had a mini run in with their dad but they soon left. Some people. No further comments on how some people should not be parents. Or maybe stadard views are savanna views, as you see wildlife in each! :laughing:

UP Next: DHS and Free Food at Boma and Jiko. AKA Cool!

:thumbsup2

Lazy morning. Still woke up about 6:00 am but laid in the bed watching the news. Wish I could sleep later but it just doesn’t happen.
I'm the same way. I'm an early riser, and it seems like seeing daylight triggers my brain to say "it's wakey time! No more sleep!". Evan is the same way, and its looking like Ryder will be too if he keeps on his 5:30am wake up schedule.
Put the “Do Not Disturb” sign in the door. Well, I would have if the room had one.
You could hang a sock or a tie on the door knob, but I think that has a different meaning.

I could blame senility but it is still a early yet for that. And I do not need comments on either of those from the peanut gallery.
Biting my tongue, biting my tongue, biting my tongue....

The bad news was I was at the wrong resort. I am at Jambo, not Kidani. OK, forgot when I was leaving on vacation and now I am at the wrong resort. Maybe senility is sinking in. (Again, no comments needed)
Ok, but it's getting really hard to hold them in.

It was well after noon so decided to get something to eat. Headed to Mara, one of the best food courts in all of WDW.
Agreed! As odd as it sounds, we've actually specifically gone to AKL just to eat there.

Since I am the shy, retiring type it took me a while to warm up to them. Kim is expecting a baby soon and Laura is a DVC member and avid traveler. We started talking and somehow the Hawaii/California trip came up. They let me know that one of the supervisors was at Aluani for 6 months. So they told me they would get him to come by to give me some insider tips on the resort and Hawaii in general. They paged him and we spent a lot of time talking about Hawaii. Gave some good tips on where to eat and things to do there. Really nice of the three of them to go out of their way to do that.
CMs like this are awesome!:thumbsup2

You have much to learn, young padawan. :yoda:

Two tweens were picking on a much smaller kid and it got me mad. Told them to knock it off and had a mini run in with their dad but they soon left. Some people. No further comments on how some people should not be parents.
Kids can't even avoid bullying at Disney World? Sheesh. Nice job stepping in. You earned that cocktail. :thumbsup2

Too bad, you're getting them anyway...

I didn't realize POP Century was that confusing. :lmao:

:headache: Rookie move for a veteran...

Stop it. Don't make me turn this trip report around

But did you get it at Mara or did you bring it with you from POP??? :confused3 :rotfl2:

Was a good boy and bought it at Mara.

Why not??? You were at AKL. Surely they had some chickens or some other equivalent sized bird running around there somewhere.

But they have cameras on the Savanna. I can see the headlines now. Man caught running around the Savanna trying to get an African chicken to see if it would flush down a toilet.

And the fact that you learned something makes all the trouble worthwhile. :lmao::rotfl2:

Not really. But I did learn something.

At least it was a pretty good, relaxing day once you finally got to AKL. I'd take a day like that over a day at work, anytime.:thumbsup2

Same here.

I totally did that with an ADR a couple of trips back. I was so proud of myself for using the online system. Then I realized (before the trip, luckily) that I made the ADR for the wrong day, one of our travel day. Of course, there was NOTHING left when I tried to rebook. I just figure that cancelling the ADR made someone else's day.

I totally blame it on the relaxed attitude of DVC

That is so true. I remember earlier trips where I acted like an invading force determined to do everything. This trip like others before them it was like, I'll do it next time.

So was it a value room? Standard views at Jambo are usually pool views, I believe. I think your Boardwalk is showing! :thumbsup2

You know, I don't know. Thought it was a standard but it may have been a value. And yes, my bias to Boardwalk is showing.

I'm the same way. I'm an early riser, and it seems like seeing daylight triggers my brain to say "it's wakey time! No more sleep!". Evan is the same way, and its looking like Ryder will be too if he keeps on his 5:30am wake up schedule.

Wait until the kids are teens. You will need dynamite to wake them up.

You could hang a sock or a tie on the door knob, but I think that has a different meaning.

Didn't think of that. Shows you how old I am forgot about the sock on the door method.

Biting my tongue, biting my tongue, biting my tongue....

Ok, but it's getting really hard to hold them in.

Just bite harder. If not, I will have DD run for Team Tim.

CMs like this are awesome!:thumbsup2

It was really nice of them. Plus they poured decent drinks.

Kids can't even avoid bullying at Disney World? Sheesh. Nice job stepping in. You earned that cocktail. :thumbsup2

They were being stupid and thought it was great fun. The bad thing about it was the dad was also a jerk and thought it was boys will be boys stuff. Really disturbing.

But they have cameras on the Savanna. I can see the headlines now. Man caught running around the Savanna trying to get an African chicken to see if it would flush down a toilet.

:lmao:

Also, thanks for coming to the aid of the child being bullied. I hope if any adult ever sees someone bullying my child they will step in and help her.

kate

Whoa! Didn't even notice they had a new TR section!

And it would be very helpful to me if you used it for your lovelies. :goodvibes I'm getting old Alison and it would help me remember to catch up. ;)

But then again you have your masses on the other so hard call.

The ugly home run thing
IMG_3856.jpg

Center field and the Miami skyline
IMG_3878.jpg

That IS ugly. Does it make noise?

But sighing on the skyline being part of a center field view. Nice. That's lovely to be sitting there enjoying that view.

Haven’t stayed at Pop for a while and it took me forever to find the room. Many wrong turns later I open the door and here I am. Normally I get lost driving around Disney, this time it was walking.

:confused3

Hmmm, not sure what to say about this?

Well that's lie :lmao:- I have many comments but I'm feeling weirdly reserved today. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter