Christmas Shopping 2008

We have a Wii and it's worth every single penny! My kids can play video games and NOT stay sitting on their butts. They are sweating after playing the Wii. Perfect for rainy days :)

I wish we could have a small budget Christmas. We can for the kids and for my family but the in-laws.. ughh.. One year when DH was unemployed, we gave everyone in the family a $10 giftcard (and that was extremely difficult but we wanted to do something for everyone) and what do you know, 4 FAMILY MEMBERS had the nerve to call my husband and complain about it. "You had your mom in tears because she only got $10 for Christmas", "Your Aunt is sad because you were cheap". I was livid! What kind of "family" does my poor husband have? Is this the crap he was raised with? Yet, what does he get from them? A Christmas ornament that came "free with purchase" from the aunt who was sad because we were cheap.

good job ladies!!! Glad to know I am not the only shopper who feels low if it isn't done before Halloween!!!

For my DS age 4.5 at Christmas:
* custom kids Disney watch to learn to tell time (already bought)
* a maze book (already bought)
* U.S. magnetic map book (already bought)
* Sequence for Kids game (already bought)
* bulldozer shirt
* Leapster game
* kid's digital camera
* stocking - Disney money, little Toy Story guys (Backyard Heroes?), learning chopsticks (bought), glowsticks, Thomas track risers

For my DS age 1.33 at Christmas:
* no idea - He has all of his big brother's toys. I don't want to buy more just to buy it. How does that work with second kids of the same gender?! Some clothes? I'm sure I'll get sweetpea something, but what?

For my DH:
* probably something from Virginia Tech, maybe really for the boys from the boys like a hat or a onesie - He isn't really into Virginia Tech, but it's kind of a joke. My mom ALWAYS got him something from Virginia Tech because she was really into college sports. We couldn't care less. "Go Mountaineers!", she would yell as she went to WVU. Well, this will be our first Christmas without her (I can't believe it!), so I thought I would keep the odd tradition alive.
* new khakis and a button down shirt and nice polo
* I usually get him something fun - a man-toy, like a toy helicopter or that remote control dragonfly (last year), but I don't know what for this year. Maybe the blimp? Or something for the lake to scare the geese :-)

For his sister Susie:
*usually a purse, creams, ?

For his mom:
* usually creams and pictures of the kids

For my brother, his daughter, and his wife: they insist on $25 gift cards - easy

For his 16 year old son: Usually a $25 gift card, but I am going to give him some of my mom's (his Nana's) Goldwater memorabilia as he is into conservative politics (we LOVE Huckabee!) - already set aside, just need to wrap

Great thread!

I have read some really bad reviews about them- just check amazon.com. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Also you might want to look into the Play and Learn Kitchen by Fisher Price for the baby. We gave my DS it when he turned a year and he adores it. It gets played with everyday and all day.

-Becca-

We had terrible luck with the mix stick (I think its called) I bought the HSM one & it worked great the first couple times she used it. It was stored for a short time like a month or so - she was using her boombox. the next time she wanted to use it for a roadtrip, I couldn't get it to charge - nothing about it worked. And, of course we were way past the return time on the TRU receipt - really made me mad!

For my DS age 1.33 at Christmas:
* no idea - He has all of his big brother's toys. I don't want to buy more just to buy it. How does that work with second kids of the same gender?! Some clothes? I'm sure I'll get sweetpea something, but what?

For his sister Susie:
*usually a purse, creams, ?

Great thread!

We had 2 boys in a row also.When he was that age, we just kinda stuck with educational type stuff like Baby Einstein, or Fisher Price big blocks. They have never really been into the same stuff(as they got older) except Thomas and Toy Story for a little while.

For the Susie-girl---Bath & Body gift card?

We love Huckabee too!!
As for the great thread--Thank you!! It's been looming in the distance:laughing: I have all my lists and costs are known- so next week I plan to kick it into high-gear and get going.

I have no idea ...since between now and then I have My bday,Dh's bday,both brothers on my side bdays.Then I have MySIL (Oct) Fil (nov)Mil(dec 17) my daughter(dec 25) and my Mom (dec 30) bdays.Plus mine and dhs wedding anniversary. So I get SLAMMED with bdays from Sept till Dec. Plus it doesn't help poor dd that her bday is XMAS!

I also have a child with a christmas birthday. He will be 7 this year. My older son will be 8 on December 12, and my DH has a Jan. 2 birthday. It sure makes for a busy holiday season. I have to make a list with each item I buy and if it is for christmas or birthdays. So far my plans include:

DH: golf balls, I don't know what else yet.

DS7: legos, clothes (he actually likes getting clothes), books

DS6: legos, clothes, books

Mom: bath and body works lotion, and soap

Sister: disney ornaments (hope she doesn't read this)

6 nephews ages 3 to 16: ??

1 niece age 14: ??

MIL: ??

FIL: ??

I guess I better get thinking of what to get. :rotfl:

I've had Xmas on the mind for a week now. Last year I had a terrible Xmas and vowed to really simplify, so shopping really early is one way I might remedy this (usually shopping is done by December 1, this year goal is by Halloween).

DD5- her first AG JLY doll, 1 outfit, bakery set, sweet treats food set, brush, stand. Haven't ordered yet as I'm waiting for free shipping. Hope it's worth it--will post a question on a new thread re: the bakery set. Also picked up a porcelain tea set in a picnic basket on clearance at TDS.

DS2- Megablocks CAT sets (crane and construction site), Disney Cars play sets (Flo's V8, Luigi's tire shop, Lizzie's shop), Thomas water tower and collapsing bridge.

more to come later...

Wow you guys are really on the ball! :thumbsup2 I've started a list and have grabbed a few things so far. This Christmas is going to be a very frugal one for us so we can go to WDW in January. Most everything will be Disney related. :santa:

My family decided not to exchange with the adults since we are all going to WDW together. :hug:

Disney Dollars or Disney gift card for my niece and nephew since their family is going with us too!

Some things I've grabbed when I've seen them and others I still need to get yet.

DS AGE 4:
Disney.com: Create-Your-Own Duffel Bag
Disney Hat
Disney Watch
Disney Dollars in Cars Wallet
Disney toys, stuffed toys
FP Kid Tough camera (ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS ONE? Junk or Decent? :confused3 )
Etch A Sketch from Toy Story
Remote Control Wall-E
Buzz Lightyear- His broke last week:sad1:
New Leapster Game
Mickey T Shirt (Got it at a consignment store New with Tags $4!!!)
Cars T Shirt
Disney Computer Game (Got it at Big Lots for $2!!!)

DD AGE 22 MONTHS: (She's tougher- anyone have any Disney related ideas for her age?)
Disney.com: Create-Your-Own Duffel Bag
Disney Hat
Disney Dollars in Pooh Purse
Disney toys, stuffed toys
Pooh Stamp Markers (Gonna regret the mes these make but she'll like them!)
Pooh T Shirt, Princesses T Shirt, Mickey Mouse T Shirt (all on clearance at Walmart!!!)
Minnie Capri Set (ebay new with tags and cheap!!!)

Whew I guess I'm further along than I thought!!! :santa:

Any more Disney related Christmas ideas you can think of please send them my way!!!!

DD5- her first AG JLY doll, 1 outfit, bakery set, sweet treats food set, brush, stand. Haven't ordered yet as I'm waiting for free shipping. Hope it's worth it--will post a question on a new thread re: the bakery set. Also picked up a porcelain tea set in a picnic basket on clearance at TDS.

I think the Bakery Set is a bit of a waste. I would get her the Sweet Shop Table and Chairs first (perfect for dolls to have a tea party) or a bed.

-Becca

I was just talking to my DH about Christmas shopping last night. I was telling him that we should start picking up a few things here & there so that we are not trying to rush around in Nov & Dec shopping. My DH has a bday on Dec 16 and my DS has a bday on Nov 12, so I have to include that in my shopping too.

DS is going to be 2 in November. He has soooo many toys, I honestly don't want to think about getting him more toys and books. But I guess he is a kid & that is what kids love...I wish I was a little more creative with the gifts.

My DH is soooo hard to shop for. I never know what to get him. He has all the toys a man needs.

I am seriously considering only doing minimal gifts for Christmas after this year and just planning a trip to WDW instead. DH & I were talking about that last night & saying that we would have a better time just hanging out at our favorite place rather than buying presents that we don't really need. We shop year round and buy things as we want them so I feel that when Christmas comes around we are just buying stuff just to buy.

Does anyone else just ignore gift giving partially or even completely and plan a trip somewhere?

I really need to start shopping- I have a few things already. I got a luggage set for my God daughter, and a bank that tells how much money is in it. Her birthday is mid December- so I am now done with both.:cool1: I haven't started on my DD5(will be 6 in Sept), or all of my neices and nephews. LOL

DD AGE 22 MONTHS: (She's tougher- anyone have any Disney related ideas for her age

How about the little Disney dolls from Wal-Mart or Target--they are about 14#(?) tall and they have the soft bodies. At one point they had baby belle, snow white and cinderella. Now they have the bath Ariel and all that--definitely cute for a little princess.And even though most of that type stuff says ages 3+, it doesn't usually have small pieces-my little girl loved them.

I am seriously considering only doing minimal gifts for Christmas after this year and just planning a trip to WDW instead. DH & I were talking about that last night & saying that we would have a better time just hanging out at our favorite place rather than buying presents that we don't really need. We shop year round and buy things as we want them so I feel that when Christmas comes around we are just buying stuff just to buy.

Does anyone else just ignore gift giving partially or even completely and plan a trip somewhere?

Yep!! We usually go in Dec or Jan & even with discounts and value seasons, it is still making a dent in the pocketbook!! So, we really have cut back--Santa stuff and 3-5 gifts under the tree-depending on what they are and how much the total is. We give them some souvie $$ (actually we don't hand it to them-they just have a total)--thinking this year of getting Disney $$$ for the stockings. Can you order that??? But yes, we do cut down and take a vacation before or after the weeks around Christmas. Helps us keep the focus where it should be and we just enjoy our family times together and these trips are great!!!

Dh--:confused3 No CLUE!! I always find him to be the hardest.He likes golf and coffee---but mercy!! How much of that stuff can you buy?Makes the head reel!!!He really doesn't need anything for golf and has enough coffee!!So, I will have to be on the lookout!!![/QUOTE]

This is kinda weird but DBF wants this "beverage" dispenser for his golf bag...I think it's weird but hey it's what he wants...and I'll get him some Khacki's and polo's cause he can always use new ones:rotfl: :rotfl:

http://www.ltdcommodities.com/home/...0&P=144&Rec=2&N=37+17&Nao=0&R=443189-6D7R---1

I really need to start shopping- I have a few things already. I got a luggage set for my God daughter, and a bank that tells how much money is in it. Her birthday is mid December- so I am now done with both.:cool1: I haven't started on my DD5(will be 6 in Sept), or all of my neices and nephews. LOL

I just want to thank you for your post. It reminded me that last year I got my kids banks that keep track of their money and I never gave it to them. They had so much under the tree I had to cut some stuff out. I think I have a small stash of presents packed away with the decorations :rolleyes1 .

How about the little Disney dolls from Wal-Mart or Target--they are about 14#(?) tall and they have the soft bodies. At one point they had baby belle, snow white and cinderella. Now they have the bath Ariel and all that--definitely cute for a little princess.And even though most of that type stuff says ages 3+, it doesn't usually have small pieces-my little girl loved them.

Yep!! We usually go in Dec or Jan & even with discounts and value seasons, it is still making a dent in the pocketbook!! So, we really have cut back--Santa stuff and 3-5 gifts under the tree-depending on what they are and how much the total is. We give them some souvie $$ (actually we don't hand it to them-they just have a total)--thinking this year of getting Disney $$$ for the stockings. Can you order that??? But yes, we do cut down and take a vacation before or after the weeks around Christmas. Helps us keep the focus where it should be and we just enjoy our family times together and these trips are great!!!

Ooh I'll have to venture down the Disney aisle at Walmart next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip! She loves babies and I didn't even think of and Disney dolls! It's nice she's still at that age where I can put it in the cart without it being noticed. And we are definitely going light too with lots of little inexpensive stuff and the "big" gift is WDW! The focus should be on our family and spending time together. Thanks for the reminder. :love:

I miss my kids being little enough to do that!! I really hate how fast they grow up!!All my life I just wanted to be a mommy!! Well, I enjoy it, but I wish it lasted longer! I tried to talk hubby into #4, but nothin' doin.

Well, we have 25 days of summer left. Do any of ya'll decorate a lot for fall? I like the little pilgrims and scarecrows--oh!! & mums!!! they are sooo pretty!! I can't wait. I may have to start early!!!!!

Yuck 25 more days of summer... It makes January sound so far away! I'm ready for fall only so winter can get here more quickly so we can go to WDW!!!

We don't decorate much for fall but we live in the woods so three feet of falling leaves covering my yard is enough of a decoration for us! :laughing: I love fall too. Crisp air and the leaves turning colors. We live near a farm and we take a hayride on the farmer's property and they have a huge bonfire. I look forward to that every year. And my bday is next month so I guess I'll look forward to that- the BIG 30:scared1: Heck anything that gets me closer to WDW I'll look forward to! :rotfl:

I am so happy to learn that I am not the only person who starts Christmas shopping before starting back to school shopping. ;)

My three spoiled dwarfs not only get Christmas, but Hannauka as well. I will admit that I am completely done with Hannauka. :banana:

Now on to Christmas. My poor DH is starting to think I am having an affair with the UPS driver. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Between DH's family and mine we have 31 nieces and nephews. Thankfully, we have started drawing names, and we only buy for the kids now.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

I've started & made a pretty good dent. Here's what I'm looking at:

-DS & DD: portable car DVD player, tickets to HSMusical on tour, misc stuff I find cheap or already have in my 'stash'.
-DH: No clue. I believe we've agreed to get each other a new video camera or digital camera for Christmas. We may do a $10 or less, which I always have fun with.

-Nieces: probably GCs to Victoria's Secret
-Nephews: cross necklaces
-parents & in-laws: I'd like to get the in-laws a digital photo frame but we'll see. My dad will get something TX themed & mom I'm not sure but I have a few ideas.
-teachers: small personal gift & a few books for their classrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter