Christmas ideas for Teen boys

Hello. My sons are 19 (2nd year college) and 16 (High School Junior). They ask for very little. I have bought some clothes and games like Cards Against Humanity, a hat for both, a book for my youngest on how they Imagineered the Haunted Mansion, and wireless earbuds.

My oldest lives at home and commutes to college, my youngest plans to go away to school. I don't know if it is too early to start buying dorm things like a small tv, bean bag, etc for him.

How is everyone else doing with their teen boys? Any creative ideas?

I have nothing creative to add, but I'll be following this thread for sure, because I need some help too!!

I have wireless earbuds for my oldest (15) and a wireless Zelda themed controller for the Switch (for the 13 year old), some Pop figures they asked for, and a classic Simon game just for fun as a "group gift" to them both. We're going to WDW a few days after Christmas, so they know that's going to limit what's under the tree. They've asked for a couple of video games, and we'll get those. Always a book and fun socks in their stocking...and I'm planning on Quip toothbrushes for everyone (i'm boring, LOL)

I've thought about an air hockey table and then just calling it done, but I've been saying that for two years and haven't done it :rotfl:

Thank you for starting this thread! My son's birthday is Nov 29 and I always struggle to find the right things for birthday then Christmas. He's turning 13 this year, too.

He's only asked for 2 things - a hover board and an X box. He's getting a hover board for his birthday and the Xbox will be a family Christmas gift - but I have to find some other stuff for him to open on both occasions! Right now I have an Overwatch T-shirt and a cool camping chair, but other than that I am at a loss, so I will look forward to reading what others are doing.

What about gift cards for places they can hang out at with friends? A friend of mine used to creatively wrap up gift cards to places like pizza joints, coffee bars, ice cream shops, the local arcade, movie theaters, etc. for their teens along with a gas card when they started driving. They liked having spending money and being able to treat their friends.

I'm having the same issue with DS. He's going to college next year so I got him some towels. I know, not at all exciting! He expects and likes the annual pjs.

Last year I got DD18 a can opener, some basic dorm things, and mug for college. She has since asked for a butterfly chair so that's an idea for anyone shopping ahead for college. It's easy because it folds and is low enough to fit in a corner easily.

The only things DS has asked for so far are wireless earbuds, a classic watch, and claddagh ring. I guess my last baby is growing up!

think geek has some cool stuff and some good sales right now. both jc penny and walmart have some great deals on themed men's socks (12 days of dead pool anyone?).

What about gift cards for places they can hang out at with friends? A friend of mine used to creatively wrap up gift cards to places like pizza joints, coffee bars, ice cream shops, the local arcade, movie theaters, etc.

if you're thinking gift cards for college students remember that many food chains ON college campuses DO NOT accept the company's gift cards BUT if you have some independently owned nearby places check their websites or give them a call to see if they have any special offers-many college towns have small interdependently owned movie theaters that can offer slamming deals-last year we got one of our college kids an unlimited one year movie pass for $80:thumbsup2 we've also done homemade gift cards wherein we write on a card that the holder is due a set number of haircuts, oil changes, $10 papa murphy's pizza night splurges on us (they use the 'emergency credit card' w/advance notice to us so we know there's a balance to be paid).

I've asked mine to start Amazon wish lists and send me pictures/links to what they want.

My 19 and 21 year olds live 5 hours north of us at college. Winters are colder than we are used to. They need warmer jackets, sweaters, gloves, etc. Got them ice scrapers and snowman kits last year as we don't see ice and snow where we are.

Last year we gave a $100 bill with their gifts for whatever else they wished for/needed.

Last edited:

So glad this was started.I haven't a clue on gifts for son or hubby. I did get my son a chocolate game controler for his stocking and a photo ornament for hubby. Any ideas would be super helpful. Thanks dis is the best.

I have a young teenage boy. He wants Xbox stuff (gift cards, games, headset), ue boom speaker, etc. I also have picked him up a Nike Chicago bears hoodie. I’d like to buy him 4 years of tuition to military school, but it’s not in my Christmas budget:(

Mom to 3 adult sons here

1. Amazon gift cards

2. Stack of favorite chocolate bars wrapped in a 20.00 bill,,tied with a bow

3.Bucket of popcorn,,movie theatre candy and favorite sports drink--add movie pass

4.Sports bottle / Thermos with a gift card inside.

5. Pj pants

6. Jar of M&Ms with a special insert
6bba362125579945dc92f0b4248a54f6.jpg

7. Gumball machine,,add a gift card inside--maybe favorite coffee,Pizza shop

81qXVY5YNYL._SY550_.jpg

8. Warm hat,mitts and scarf

9. New wallet with a gas card

10. Back-up phone power pack

11. Mini Nerf guns,,don't ask:upsidedow but they love these things.

12. Sports duffel bag with 30 pairs of sports socks.

13. Shower radios
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Shower-Radios/b?ie=UTF8&node=1065910

14. Pocket flashlight/keychain set.

15. Fancy USB Flash Drives.
https://www.amazon.com/USB-Flash-Drives-Storage-Add-Ons/b?ie=UTF8&node=3151491

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
My younger son got his brother a marshmallow shooter. I'm also getting him a hooded terry cloth robe for after showers and swim team and a waterproof Bluetooth speaker for the shower. There are some cool Lego sets for teens such as a huge transforming Lego Voltron, Lego robots, etc.

ds 18
Apple Watch & charging stand
bluetooth earbuds
Spotify subscription
Playstation Plus subscription
bluetooth tracker for his keys
texting gloves
car accessories- change holder, usb charger and cord, air freshener
Peet's coffee pods & travel mug

ds15
Beats headphones & charging stand
waterproof bluetooth speaker
Microsoft Live subscription
NBA 2K virtual cash
texting gloves
clothes

I fill their stockings with the same stuff every year- body wash, deodorant, candy, & snacks.

I saw on Amazon where there's 'guns' for Silly String - definitely getting that!!

be careful-silly string can stain walls and fabrics, even if the color doesn't stick there can be what looks like an oil stain that's really hard to get out (it's why allot of people only allow it to be played with on dirt or grass).

My 19 and 21 year olds live 5 hours north of us at college. Winters are colder than we are used to. They need warmer jackets, sweaters, gloves, etc. Got them ice scrapers and snowman kits last year as we don't see ice and snow where we are.

yaktrax for their shoes are cheap and AWESOME (think snow chains for your shoes). if they have cars with them some below freezing windshield wiper/deicer fluid helps along with an extra set of wiper blades (the ice and deicer always shreds one set every winter). if they still have some 'kid' in them-there are inexpensive and hilarious inflatable snow saucers (walmart on-line and amazon) that the college kids around us goof around with.

I have 3 boys. My 15 yo wants a reverb pedal for his guitar and a Spotify subscription. That is literally all he's asked for so I'm having to think outside the box. He's been wanting to visit my brother (his cool uncle) in Seattle so I confirmed it was ok with my brother and got him a round trip ticket over a 4 day weekend when he has off of school.

My 12 yo mostly wants Nintendo gift cards and video games. I'm still struggling with what else to get him.

My 8 yo wants tickets to sporting events, a really big soccer goal that can be folded up for travel, a new soccer ball, a new batting helmet, nerf guns, and fifa 19 for xbox. At least he gives me lots of ideas!!

I'm getting my 19 year old an Uber gift card. It will work in case he needs food or a ride. (I'd like to think he doesn't drink but I am also a realist)

Also money. He likes to buy what he wants when he wants so I am not trying to compete.

But, he likes meat. Particularly those beef sticks. So that is the one nonmonetary gift.

The 18 year old is getting money and some Xbox game he wants and a new phone plus an Uber gift card.

The 14 year old is getting a Nintendo switch and a game.

For the hover board - also get a hover board cart...

We aren’t quite to the college prep years...

DS12 ideas not already mentioned..
- Indoor Skydiving session
- Snowboarding lessons
- Snowboarding accessories
- Go Pro Camera (get a knock off for $50)
- Chromebook
- Fun Tall Socks
- New Basketball Bag
- New Slides
- Baseball Bat Warmer
- New Hoodie
- Favorite expensive hair gel will go in his stocking With other basic toiletries

Things he would love that aren’t on my list for him this year..
- money to pay his monthly cell phone bill
- playstatiom Live or VBucks $$
- concert tickets
- sporting event tickets. (Even to local college teams)
- wireless earbuds (he loses things still)
- gift cards to local restaurants - Blaze, Moe’s, Dunkin etc. (okay - these could still end up in the mix!)

In years past I have also given things to redo their bedrooms...new posters/frames, paint supplies, pendants to hang magnet board, new bedding etc.. this could be something good for the soon to be college aged as well in that they could take wall accessories with them..

be careful-silly string can stain walls and fabrics, even if the color doesn't stick there can be what looks like an oil stain that's really hard to get out (it's why allot of people only allow it to be played with on dirt or grass).

Oh yeah, definitely an OUTSIDE toy! He and his friends like to spend hours at the nearby park, I'm thinking it will be fun for that.

I have 3 boys. My 15 yo wants a reverb pedal for his guitar

WOW-I am sooo glad you posted this! My son has just begun to play this year and I know it would knock his socks off if I got him one of those. Do you have any suggestions? I will go into my local music store too with the guitar and see what they suggest but I know they will up sell me because I dont know a thing about those!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter