Christmas Day Menus?

The United States is such a melting pot of cultures that what was once considered 'traditional' (turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, pie), if served, almost always has a twist. My grandparents were Polish and we always had 'traditional' plus pierogi (stuffed dough), halupki (stuffed cabbage rolls) and kalachi cookies. The food is always a big part of the memories for me! Every weekend after Thanksgiving I still make dozens and dozens of pierogis in prep for Xmastime (friends always ask for some) and it brings back those fond memories of childhood Christmases! I'm sure others will share their traditional foods also!

I'm from a very WASPy family (most branches of my family have been in what is now the US since the 1630s) and we usually have either turkey with dressing, gravy, potatoes and vegetables OR roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, gravy, potatoes and vegetables.

Thanks for the Info Rusty Scupper!

We always have Prime Rib for Christmas, assorted sides and cheesecake for dessert.....Usually by Christmas I am "turkey'ed out"....

. . . We always have Prime Rib for Christmas, assorted sides and cheesecake for dessert.....Usually by Christmas I am "turkey'ed out"....

1) Yep.
2) Several servings of left-over turkey does make one a little tired of it.
. . . turkey sandwiches
. . . turkey tetrazzini
. . . turkey soup
. . . turkey hash
. . . flaming turkey wings
. . . and we haven't even discussed those "turkeys" called relatives

For us, Thanksgiving is turkey, Christmas is beef, New Year's is pork and Easter is lamb or ham. But we know people who have turkey on every holiday. That would so bore us!

Meatballs, turkey, lefse, herring, lutefisk (skip it), all good Norwegian or German foods. Someone tried to serve crab legs one year, what a disaster! There was an outcry.

Haha!! Sort of off topic, but this reminds me of my first Christmas with my in-laws. My husband's family is German and they are VERY tied to their roots - I will never, ever forget going up to visit them in NY for the first time and we had a "traditional German breakfast" on Christmas Day, which they do on all major holidays. Literally all I ate was brie, brötchen, and butter :scared: I've become much more adventurous now that we've been married for a while, but I was a 22 year old Tennessee girl at the time, and platters of blood sausage, head cheese, liverwurst, and pickled herring were set down in front of me...

"Don't you just have, like, some bacon? Or fruit loops, even?" :guilty:

I've been to Europe, but not specifically Germany...I was NOT prepared for that breakfast... :rotfl:

Slightly off topic, however I was wondering what is eaten in the U.S. on Christmas Day?
As Iona said here in the UK we very much have Christmas day traditions and it is usually Turkey like your thanks giving meal. I was just wondering out of interest as I like knowing what all different countries and cultures do. Thanks
We typically have our big meal on Christmas Eve. Lobster! (We do live in Maine, where I grew up in CA, it was roast beef). Then Christmas, our big meal is breakfast, served around noon: scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit. Sounds boring, but there are family recipes that only get made once a year. Then "dinner" is turkey sandwiches and macaroni salad. Our Xmas plan in Disney: HBD for Christmas Eve Dinner (a throwback to my CA roots), Kona breakfast (I will order scrambled eggs and fruit!), and Rose and Crown for a mid afternoon dinner. Enjoy whatever you choose!

Slightly off topic, however I was wondering what is eaten in the U.S. on Christmas Day?
As Iona said here in the UK we very much have Christmas day traditions and it is usually Turkey like your thanks giving meal. I was just wondering out of interest as I like knowing what all different countries and cultures do. Thanks

My family does oyster stew on Christmas eve along with shrimp cocktail. Lots of crudite to go along with it. Plus cookies, cakes, fudge and candy. Don't forget mulled wine and an assortment of beer.

Christmas day is more substantial, standing rib roast, potato gratin, creamed peas, sugared carrots and salads. Dessert is what we had on Christmas eve.

It's definitely a little bit more than thanksgiving. We have a very traditional meal, not fancy at all.

I think the traditions are regional, or according to family background. It would be hard to narrow it down. But I am surprised that the restaurants do nothing special as well.

I love knowing what other people's traditions are too!

Seen as you have all been so kind and shared your traditions with me, I shall share mine with you.
Christmas Eve we usually have roast beef or pork served with salad, cheeses, pickles etc
Christmas day we usually have salmon and cream cheese bagels and then the main event meal is usually around 4pm.
We usually have a starter of prawn cocktail or pate followed by roast Turkey and all the trimmings (I believe this is your thanksgiving meal) for desert we have Christmas pudding or chocolate Yule log.
The following day (Boxing day) we have all the left over cold meats with salads, pickles, breads and cheeses.
New Years Eve we always watch the Disney Christmas parade which had aired on Christmas day for you guys in the US and eat a party food buffet.
I love all the traditions people have and how the holidays always bring families and friends together.
We will be having our first Disney Christmas holiday in 2016 and are looking forward to surprising the kids with it this year at Christmas:santa::mickeyjum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter